Orakpo held vs. Texans

Before there was the game-tying fourth-down touchdown pass to Andre Johnson on Sunday, there was a similarly clutch third-and-10 completion to Johnson that gained 29 yards and kept the drive moving. The Texans were at their own 19-yard line at the time, and absent that completion, they likely would have punted and asked their defense to get them the ball back. It wasn't the most important play of the game, but it was sure one of them.

And watching the replay on NFL Network Tuesday night, I noticed this shot as part of that play. Looks to me like Brian Orakpo is again being put into a sleeper hold, as he was in the last play against the Cowboys. If that was a hold, this sure looks like one, too. Throw the flag here, and the game might turn out totally different.

Of course, Orakpo and players of his ilk are probably held on 50 percent of passing plays. But still.

By Dan Steinberg  | September 22, 2010; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Ovechkin Project, Gare Joyce and Ted Leonsis
Next: Reed Doughty on getting hit by LaRon Landry

Comments

I said the EXACT SAME thing while I was watching the game...sometimes you get the calls and sometimes you dont

Posted by: Breeze16 | September 22, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I definitely saw that, I saw it live and couldn't believe it wasn't called...that's bogus

Posted by: joeblazin | September 22, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Good looking for Dan. The Texans dropped backed 60+ times to pass......ZERO flags on the offensive line. Oh well, it happens.

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 22, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

And where exactly was the Umpire on this play, which side of the line?

Posted by: iubiquity | September 22, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Plus, #76 Duane Brown was all jacked up on 'roids. Just makes this more egregious.

Posted by: ChampKind | September 22, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Obvious hold, but did anyone hear Orakpo after the game complaining about it to the media? Meanwhile, up in Baltimore, Ray Lewis and every Ravens fan, blame another loss on the officials. Hell, if it weren't for the refs, they probably wouldn't have lost a game in the past 3 years. Its part of the game, get over it Baltimore.

Posted by: asparrow | September 22, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I thought Ray Lewis's post-game rant was ironically hilarious. Especially the part when his voice cracked and rose as he complained about other people complaining.

Posted by: TheSecretWeapon | September 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I watched the Texan linemen hold on several plays in a row (with both hands)that allowed their quarterback to complete several passes on the Texans first touchdown drive and no holding was called. I would like to see a replay of the holding call on Stephen Heyer that negated a 22 yard completion in the fourth quarter and a first down for the 'skins. It looked like the Texan player just fell down on his own.

Posted by: meadowrock | September 22, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Isn't this the dude that's now suspended for performance enhancers? How nice that Dallas gets to play them minus their top lineman.

Posted by: btwigg | September 22, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Yep, that's a hold. But I can't get too worked up about it, because I am sure that if you watch the whole game, you will see a number of these on both teams.

Sucks though.

Posted by: kjhealey | September 22, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Someone needs to make a t-shirt of Orakpo's exclamation (heard plain as day on Comcast Sportsy Net) after the Dallas game - "{N Word} can't hold me!"

Posted by: Kev29 | September 22, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Frequently we hear announcers state there is holding on every play; yet, it is still a penalty. Seems like if it was called more frequently then the offensive linemen would have to adjust.

I used to coach youth basketball and I would tell my kids if the refree called a reaching foul the first time they did it to stop. If not, keep reaching until they call it. Sound like the offensive line does the same thing.

Posted by: Terp83 | September 22, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

No excuses because that's how the ball bounces with judgement calls. The refs just need to be consistent and either call them both ways or let them play.

Posted by: jdumb | September 22, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

refs will never be consistent with this, and that is a good thing. The last thing we want is for Rak to start flopping instead of developing true football skills.

Posted by: sorenoid | September 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think Orakpo is held 75% of the time. Watch him play. He usually beats his guy and gets held. it NEVER gets called. This play is just one of those instances.

Posted by: zyvo23 | September 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zyvo23 |

I think that its a case, like most team sports where a player has to earn the rep to get the calls. He has not earned that respect from the refs yet. A couple of pro bowls will earn Orakpo more holding calls as his career goes on. Just like in the NBA the superstars get the calls and go to the line more than the up and comers. I am sure there are all pro linemen who get away with holding just like Cy Young winners get a larger strike zone. But they have earned the rep so they get more calls their way.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse