Redskins-Texans another FedEx Field sellout

Quoting the press box announcer:

"Today's paid attendance is 88,240. That makes it 353 consecutive home sellouts for the Redskins. Again, today's attendance is 88,240, 353 consecutive home sellouts."

This photo was taken at around 3:15, or about an hour before kickoff. When I asked about availability, the agent told me only singles remained at the $108 and $86 price points. In the past, the Redskins have explained the availability of such game-day tickets as "visiting team and sponsor returns."

Still, for the few people who have expressed skepticism that you can just go up to the ticket booth and buy a face-value general-admission Redskins ticket an hour before kickoff, I figured I ought to post this.

By Dan Steinberg  | September 19, 2010; 9:12 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins-Texans, Best and Worst
Next: Clinton Portis's downfield block

Comments

I don't think anyone puts any trust into any numbers Danny let's his hench men release to the public. He's always going to try to paint himself and the team in a more positive light then they deserve.

Posted by: Riddler1 | September 19, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I dont believe any of the hype about the wait list but I find this really surprising. Especially this early in the season.

Posted by: jpfterps | September 19, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I didn't believe the story about these tickets until last weeks game against the cowboys. I had bought some fake tickets and about 20 people showed up for 4 seats. The ushers took us over to the ticket office where someone told us there were no open seats available for this game. A lady then came out of the ticket office and they started talking about sponsors who didn't pick up their tickets. They went and found about 10 pairs that were in envelopes or rubber bands. The seats were nice, but I see why they are giveaways. My view was blocked a little bit by the railing in the upper level.

Posted by: deiulay | September 19, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Seems like I saw a lot of club level seats disguised as fans wearing yellow garments. Oh, I'm sorry, those were actually yellow plastic seats and backs with no one sitting in them.

No way the turnstile count was 88+K.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | September 20, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Dan, your infatuation with Dan Snyder and the Redskins attendance is so pathetic. Like anything, a single point of data means nothing. You must have something to compare it to for it to have any meaning. Why don’t you do some RESEARCH and see if any other NFL teams have singles/small amount of tickets available on gameday? I know that isn’t as fun as writing little digs at the Redskins, but you may actually write something worth reading.

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 20, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Hondo5 -- True, it'd be interesting to see if other teams have singles *and* call their games sellouts, but the story's the same. How can FedEx be sold out if there are non-premium seats available when the game begins? Once the game starts, do the Skins buy the extras for themselves?

It's not a dig so much as another example that Snyder has interesting ethics and sales tactics. As the only constant the team's got, windows into the character of Snyder's organizations are always interesting.

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 20, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The waiting list is a myth at this point. Gave up my season tickets two years ago and they beg us to come back each year with new, affordable payment plans. If game day experience wasn't totally miserable and regrettable (and I'm not even talking about the product on the field--it's the fratmosphere), we'd probably have taken them up on it. Snyder needs the world to believe he has infinite demand for what he's selling. It's still profitable, I'm sure, but he's managing to wound this business, too.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | September 20, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Hondo5 100% - Why does this even matter, Dan? Why does the D.C. media - during a period where this organization has clearly made strides both on and off the football field in the last nine months - continue to hang on by their fingernails to any story that can shed a negative light? What matters is, the people that DONT come out and buy a ticket - whether in advance or at the ticket window - are missing out on an entirely different Redskins team that is headed in the right direction, period. Stop the nonsense and obsession with the ticket situation. It's tired and dead.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 20, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

WorstSeat - The NFL declares a game a sellout, not the Redskins. If the Redskins don't sell the game out, it would get blacked out.

If the NFL declares the game a sellout, why shouldnt the Redskins?

Sorry to disappoint, but this doesnt have anything to do with Dan Snyder, his character, ethics or sales tactics.

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 20, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Snyder lies, schemes and maneuvers to fleece the very fanbase that keeps his only successful business venture afloat. This post is simply more proof. Great job, Steinz.

Posted by: thediesel | September 20, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SuperSkin

The role of the media is to report what IS happening, not what people with a stake in the game (no pun intended) WANT to be happening, "SuperSkin." The team continues to report "sell outs" because the league reports "sell outs" when seats are, clearly, still available. For years and years, the Redskins got away with this nonsense MOSTLY because local media lacked the courage to question the team on ANYTHING (pre and with Snyder at the helm).

The Redskins no more sold out their home yesterday than I did. What we have in Washington is a low-grade team that is full of itself, an organization with questionable ethics, an obviously shrinking fan base, and (still!) a mostly complicit media. I'm glad the Bog stays on this. If it doesn't, I for one, will stay on Dan for it. (How many articles do you want on gold pants, anyway, "SuperSkin"?)

The team is lying on this issue. As is the league. The media's role is to shed light, not mask the obvious in order to stay in the good graces of the Almighty Redskins.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | September 20, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

capscapscaps2 - Again, if you have a beef with what the NFL deems a sellout, your beef is with the NFL, not the Redskins.

thediesel - I havent been to a Skins game at Fedex since 1999. I'm not saying Snyder is perfect, but this time, this has nothing to do with Snyder.

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 20, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

If the visiting team is paid their cut of the gate receipts, the game is a "sellout". Danny has no problem writing a check to the visiting team to make sure the games aren't blacked out and to keep the myth of the waitlist alive as well as creating demand. Smaller market teams (San Diego, Detroit, Jacksonville) will allow their games to be blacked out. You think the Jets are having a sellout everygame with this economy and really expensive tickets? Nope, Danny isn't the only one doing it. Smart owners and those with deep pockets realize that blacking out home games is archaic and futher erodes the fan base.

Does anyone really think that visiting team returns are spread all over the stadium? There are normally sections for visiting teams, where family and friends can sit, not misc places all over. If anyone believes that the Redskins are selling out their games as we traditionally think of a sellout, let me know, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd love to sell you.

Posted by: matt555 | September 20, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

matt555

So let me get this straight...

Its Dan who is buying the extra tickets to "fake" a sellout?

Instead of saying, Danny is spending his own money to make sure the game isnt blacked out, but his motive is one that is negative.

That my friend is a huge bias against Snyder. You think the guy is spending his own money to keep it from being blacked out, but it's for some evil plan involving a list and "myth". What a joke.

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hondo5, you really need to start posting on here more often. Agree with you 100%. The venom Redskins fans have for Dan Snyder is always pathetic, but sometime their delusions about him and conspiracy theories they have about him are borderline insane. Also, the Post's obsession with disproving a waiting list is always amusing to me. There is no doubt whatsoever that well over 100,000 people have signed up at one point or another for the list. Until those people buy tickets, they're going to remain on the list. Why this is so hard for people to comprehend is beyond me.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 20, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

You have my theory correct. It has been reported for other teams (e.g. Jets).

Why is it so hard to believe that our owner is doing the same thing that other owners are doing?

And, you are right about me being biased toward Snyder. Although, I will say that he has improved greatly this year and give him a lot of credit for Bruce Allen, Shanny, etc.

But Snyder built his fortune by marketing. You think it's hard to imagine that maybe saying there is a 100k waitlist and that every game is a sellout would not increase demand for season tickets? I believe there is a 100k waitlist, but that the rate of execution when someone is called is very low.

Posted by: matt555 | September 20, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Great post. Like always, I thought I saw many an empty seat in the stadium. Let's not forgot ticket brokers buy tickets and can't sell them all.

Posted by: richs91 | September 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | September 20, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

The only thing this fan "wants to happen" is a win on Sunday. Since when did we become the police of how the Redskins announce ticket policies, announced attendance, sell outs, etc? And, before you answer with "as paying customers it is our right to honesty, blah, blah", the only people moaning about such a trivial subject are the ones sitting at home boasting about they "stuck it to Snyder" by giving up their tickets. I guarantee you not one of the fans who stood beside me screaming their lungs out on a crucial 4th quarter drive yesterday gives a crap about whether the stadium is "really" sold out or not. That's my point. The only people that care about this tired, mundane topic is a) the D.C. media, who want to create angst and controversy for the sake of a story, and b) the remaining stragglers from last year's "Fan Revolution" who infuse Anti-Snyder comments into any and every blog or article they can find.

This story isnt "what's happening", and if it is, it's what's happening around the entire NFL, not just here. It's a fruitless, boring, tired, and irrelevant issue that has no bearing on the success of this franchise or the dedication of it's true fan base.

And for the dying breed of readers who insist on making the same trite, unfounded comment that Snyder has found an "idiot" in me or anyone else who continues to attend games and cheer this team on, wake up and calm that guilty conscience of yours. It's non-passionate, completely undedicated "fans' like you that drive your franchise to another state. Troll and comment on blogs all you want - just please keep your rear end out of FedEx Field so that our enthusiasm and crowd noise isn't hampered while we are winning games this year.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 20, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | September 20, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 20, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"And then I read posts by people like Hondo5 and SuperSkin and realize that there is a sizable number of reliable idiots on whom he can always count. They are the "Thank you sir, may I have another?" type of fan who will happily hand over their hard-earned money to the man who has singlehandedly destroyed everything that once was great abou the Washington NFL franchise."

Well said. Snyder could sell these clowns and others just like them anything and there "all in". It's similar how the elderly get preyed upon by scam artests. The Redskins MIGHT have improved there image and on the field product this year but it remains to be seen. They could eaisly be 0-2 or just as easily be 2-0. Hardly a ringing endorsement either way. The last time I had season tickets was the 2006-07 season. I don't plan on coming back. I don't forget or forgive all the negaitive things Snyder has done just beacuse he MIGHT finally be promoting a decent NFL product all of the sudden.

Posted by: Riddler1 | September 20, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"Sometimes I wonder how Dan Snyder, who has failed miserably at every business endeavor he has attempted over the past 10 years, somehow manages to maintain control and make a profit with the Redskins."
-----------------------------

It's easy diesel. In addition to the "reliable idiots" (love that phrase), Snyder controls a one-of-a-kind institution that people will love almost no matter how bad they are or how badly he treats them (his customers). So he takes advantage of it to gouge and pry every penny he can out of an adoring fan base. He's no "marketing genius" as he is so often portrayed. A chimpanzee could make a profit on the Redskins. Of course a chimpanzee wouldn't make AS MUCH of a profit as The Danny because a chimp wouldn't be as greedy.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 20, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riddler1 | September 20, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

That's good to know Riddler, because Lord knows future of this franchise, and preserving its proud honor and tradition dating back to 1937, hinges upon whether or not you "forgive" Dan Snyder.

Do any of you venomous "former" Redskins fans care to go place a comment on the article about McNabb's 400 yard performance yesterday? Or maybe give your two cents worth on another article regarding the need to improve are running game? The fact that the only thing that perks your interest about this franchise is how it handles its ticket policy and merchandise sales is astounding to me.

If you dudes got paid for your moaning and groaning, you might actually have the dough to own your own football team.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 20, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

And for the record, I have attended every home game since 1999 for the price of the game ticket only (which is certainly in line with the rest of the league), and a prorated contribution towards a single parking pass used in carpool fashion (which costs me about $5). I arrive to tailgate well in advance and eat and drink all I care to prior to kickoff, again - with a pool of food and beverages purchased communally among friends. No need to buy an $8 beer or $10 hamburger when you are already satiated entering the stadium. If I feel the need to purchase Redskins merchandise such as a shirt or cap, I avoid the official Redskins store and buy those items at Target or even on the bootleg market, at a fraction of the cost. Gouged? No, not this fan. But these simple, rational decisions that allow you to follow and cheer for this team while avoiding excessive cost are simply too difficult for those who like to complain about the Ownership and Game Day "experience." It's much easier to stay at home and watch the game on TV - laptop in hand - while spewing Anti-Snyder messages on blogs and disparaging the intelligence of your fellow Redskins fans that actually make an effort to support the team.

From my eye, there were approximately 80,000 or so raucous Skins fans in attendence yesterday. So there are 80,000 "reliable idiots" out there? I doubt it. The only reliable idiots among this fan base are the ones who get giddy and copy and paste their standard garbage after any article that shows the organization in a negative light. Well, those and the brain dead folks that type "First!" at the start of the reader comments.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 20, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

No question about it SuperSkin. The world is a better place with you in it. You're just wonderful.

In any case, I think many of us who criticize Snyder do so because he took something we all loved and has used it to line his pockets and feed his ego.

For the record, I was at the last game an Griffith Stadium, first game at RFK, last game at RFK, first game at Fed and waited 12 years to get and hold season tickets for 25 years before it got out of hand.

So great. You're a fan. God bless you. And get drunk BEFORE the game and buy your souvenirs at Target. Even better. Clearly you're a genius.

But just because you're willing to give up your time and fork over your dough doesn't mean anybody who criticizes Snyder is just a moaner or groaner. If we hadn't BEEN fans at one point, nobody would care about what we've lost.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 20, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@Hondo5
"Let's just say for a second that what your saying is true, which I don't, but lets just say it is."

Believe it now?

@SuperSkin
For the record, I'm a season ticket holder. They've been in my name since '04 and I've been going to games since the late 80's. I probably averaged 4 games a year in the 90's and since '04 I've only missed 1 game because of a funeral. I get there when the gates open every game, whether it's the normal 4 hours or 8 hours like last week. I yell like crazy when the Skins are on defense. While I have admitted I have been biased against Snyder, I am pleased with what he has been doing this year. My satisfaction with the ticket office however, has been terrible, but again, they did a much better job this year. My biggest complaint is their upgrade policy and it's unfairness. Last year, after saying there were no upgrades available in my section, they gave my friend a first year season ticket holder 6 seats approx 10 rows below me. How was I not allowed to have those 1st?

About the waitlist, I don't doubt that it has 100k names and phone #'s/e-mail addresses. What I also believe is that most of the people on the waitlist, when given the opportunity, would not purchase tickets.

Anyway, things have changed, and are much improved this year. I believe, there should be truth in advertising and by claiming a "sellout" it is at the least mis-leading to the public. That's my point, and that's why I posted what I did.

I don't feel like "sticking it to Snyder", I am a STH and will remain one as well as a die hard fan. At worst, they are lying by claiming a sellout, but at a minimum, they are using a loophole to claim a sellout so that Snyder can build or maintain his brand (the Redskins) and are mis-leading the fans into thinking that there is a much greater demand for tickets than there currently is.

My friend had tickets 2 years ago. He got a call last week (after the Dallas game) to purchase season tickets for the remainder of the year. Do they expect the visiting team to return all tickets for the remainder of the year? How are these even available if the games are "soldout"? Is he still included on the waiting list even though he has been called, bought tickets and then elected not to re-new.

Everyone can bring up different issues, but the real issue is that the Redskins are using the word "sellout" to describe ticket sales for home games that's defined by the NFL and is different than the general public's definition. There are plenty of tickets available for every home game and you don't need to buy season tickets from the Redskins to access them, they are available from the team on a per game basis.

Posted by: matt555 | September 20, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@bethesdaguy: I salute you for being one of the original fans and reppin the team at Griffith, RFK, etc. And I mean that honestly. I don't doubt your fanhood one bit, whether current or former. I find it interesting that you took my comment about buying communal food and drink at tailgates and instantly assumed the "drinks" are of the alcoholic nature. Its that type of presumption and generalization that litters the reader comments of this blog. If we attend games, then we are idiots who are unwittingly being scammed by Dan. If we buy food and drink for a tailgate, then the drink must be alcohol that we are "getting drunk" off of. @Matt...good post. Buddy, I totally know the waitlist isn't really a waiting list. Its a mailing list. But do you guys really think my decision to attend games is based on Snyders sales pitch that the tickets are in high demand? Do you think I walk around on Monday with my chest out, bragging that I had the hottest ticket in town? Come on now. The analogy that those who attend these games are akin to elderly people who are scammed is so incredibly offensive and self serving. I know the deal when I attend these games. I mitigate my cost effectively and still manage to have a great (or not so great) time, in the same spirit of the 55,000 that used to fill RFK. How about, as a basic courtesy, we respect fellow Skins fans and not call them stupid, scammed, or idiots? That's what really gets my goat on here. I've never seen a more judgmental group of people in my life.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 20, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@SuperSkin
I think we're on the same page, honestly. I believe our decision (and mine) to attend games is not based on being a high demand ticket. I know the deal and it sounds like you do too. For most of those that haven't been going to every game for years, probably do not. I do think there is still the notion that having Redskins season tickets are a hard thing to come by, like they were at RFK. The truth is, they are not, and there is so much turnover with season ticket holders, especially in the upper deck. Again, I think we're on the same page, and root for the same team. This all started from Steinberg's post, people saying he was crazy for thinking that games aren't really sold out, me providing a theory, being challenged, and then backing it up. I don't hate the Skins, I attend the games and I'm really happy with the change in the organization over the past year. Do I hate Snyder? No, although last year, the answer probably would have been yes. There is stuff like saying "sellouts" that I just don't think is right, which is why I provided my theory and backed it up w/ evidence from what another team was doing.

Posted by: matt555 | September 20, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Matt. However, while I find it comical and amusing that Snyder and his marketing team still flaunt the "consecutive sellout streak" as though it were legitimate, you don't see me out on the grassy knoll fingerprinting the ticket booth to confirm it. It's akin to your local High School journalist investigating impropriety in the handling of paper ballots to decide the Prom Queen. It has absolutely ZERO bearing on any one fan's decision to buy a ticket.

So what is the end-game here for the holdovers from last year's "revolution?" Perhaps to escalate this fight and force the Redskins to strip the sellout designation, thus creating blackouts by NFL TV rules and removing the local free broadcast of the game from the homes of diehard Skins fans everywhere? Is that the desired result of this fact finding mission? The reality is, this is less of a news story than a free agent lineman being added to the practice squad (which, in fact, I'd much rather read about.) But, that being said, this is a blog and not a news article, so it is certainly filed in its proper place.

I am not a Dan Snyder "defender." I know full and well that his ego and desire to play fantasy football with our team cost us 11 years of mediocrity and considerably tempered fan support and enthusiasm. But, whether through his own pride-swallowing and/or a priority shift, he has allowed Bruce Allen (and Shanahan) to a) bridge the gap between the organization and it's proud past, and b) regain at least SOME of the fan-friendly attributes the franchise used to exhibit. Not to mention the product on the field, which is clearly an improvement from the Head Coach to the Quarterback, regardless of yesterday's loss.

Come to think of it, this bog entry is a testament to that on-field improvement, as I doubt we would be bickering over the team's "sellout announcement policy" otherwise.

So, I guess this is a pretty good sign of things to come.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 20, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@SuperSkin
I just want Skins fans to make informed decisions when they buy their tickets. I want die-hard fans, people who will be there for 8 games a year, for years. I don't want someone to be there for 1 year, figure out Craigslist is cheaper and how much of a commitment it is to go to all 8 games. What's the goal for me for letting people know the real deal? I have no idea, I don't really have an agenda. I'm just trying to educate people. In fact, I hope they don't ever have a blackout or lose the streak, as that would harm the Skins. Maybe it's like when you buy a car and it says MSRP, whatever. Everyone knows you don't pay MSRP. But when the Skins say sellout, I don't think everyone knows that is a bunch of bull.

I couldn't agree w/ your 3rd paragraph more.

@Hondo5 @Barno1
I don't appreciate my theories being called delusional and insane. I have showed you an article of how other teams owner's are buying tickets, why are you so quite now?

Posted by: matt555 | September 20, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Matt555, I never said anything you wrote was delusional. Sorry to disappoint you buddy.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 20, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I had 6 season tickets to Redskins since 1961 (my Dad handed down to me). About 10 years ago, turned 2 in. Then 5 years ago, the other 2. Finally, last year I turned in the final 2 and no longer have season tickets. So, I get email from the Redskins begging me to come back and affordable payment options. Why do they need me back if they have 100,000+ on a waiting list?
I went to one FedEx game in 2001. Had not been before and not since. RFK was about football and nothing but football. It was a GREAT experience and I have great memories. FedEx is about going to a rock concert (music blaring) and fireworks show and, oh, BTW, there is a football game as a side note. That's why I quit going and turned my season tickets in for good. I don't want all the "fan experience". I want a good old-fashioned football game. That does not exist anymore in DC (nor most football stadiums for that matter).

Posted by: bamaboy1 | September 20, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Really tired of people complaining about the fan experience at Fed Ex from people who don't even go there. Bamaboy1 is just the latest example. The guy admits he has been to exactly ONE game ever at Fed Ex (9 years ago!) and yet here he is on here telling us what FedEx is about: "a rock concert" and "fireworks" with the football game as a "sidenote."

Dude, with all due respect, you shouldn't comment on something like the fan experience at a place you have been to once in your life (and a decade earlier). Seriously.

For all the complaints about FedEX, I have never experienced any problems. The tailgating in the parking lots is great, the traffic is never much of an issue (takes me about 40 minutes from the time I leave my house in Bethesda til I'm in a parking spot) and the vendors are courteous and fan friendly. The concession stands are fairly priced when compared to other NFL stadiums and our cheerleaders are second to none.

Teams go through winning periods and losing periods, but as far as the experience at Fed Ex, it's always a great time.

Wish only those who actually go to the game there would comment on it.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 20, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@Barno1

"Hondo5, you really need to start posting on here more often. Agree with you 100%. The venom Redskins fans have for Dan Snyder is always pathetic, but sometime their delusions about him and conspiracy theories they have about him are borderline insane."

You agreed w/ Hondo5 (100% as you said), who was critical of my post which included negative references to Snyder. Your 2nd sentence I thought was in reference to me.

Posted by: matt555 | September 20, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Matt555, I wasn't specifically referencing you...I was speaking in general about the countless conspiracy theories we hear about Dan Snyder on the WaPo blogs. Most of the theories are just crazy.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 20, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

@matt555

Do I believe it's possible? Sure it's possible, but again even if it's true, I would give Danny credit for doing it, not dog him. I don't have season tickets and watch the games at my house (like the majority of Skins fans). to me if Danny ensures the game sells out, he is ensuring the majority of the fans could watch the game. That bastard! How dare he!

This is what I dont get with everone have such an issue with the waiting list...... Who does it hurt? Do you think people are being taken advantage of? Do you think they feel pressured to buy tickets because they feel like this is their only chance to go to the games?

I mean seriously, people buy tickets because they have the extra cash and want to go to the games. Nobody buys tickets because of the "waiting list". With the secondary market bigger than ever, you can get tickets to any game, you don't need season tickets.

This leads me to my conclusion.. If you are bothered by something that doesnt hurt anyone......you probably have a biased against the person who is doing it. I know I get annoyed easier by people I dislike. It's obvious that the Post and some fans dislike Dan, and this issue is a great example.

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 22, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

@Hondo5

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Even when presented with evidence, you still only think it's a possibility.

I don't think people think it's their only chance to go to games, but I think they are pressured into thinking that if they don't buy tickets when they are called, they will have to go to the end of the supposed enormous list.

All I'm saying is at the very least it is misleading to people to say that every game is sold out and that there is a 100k waiting list. For the record, by NFL's definition, the games are "sold out". To me, a game is sold out if tickets are no longer available to the public directly from the team. Also, I believe that the Redskins have a list of 100k names and phone #'s, but that the % of people who would actually buy tickets today off of that list is extremely low. If they did have 100k people waiting to buy tickets, the games would be a "real" sellout.

My opinion is it does hurt people who may believe that they are missing an opportunity to purchase tickets if they don't exercise that option when their name comes up. They are trying to increase demand by advertising a huge wait list and that games are "soldout".

Do I dislike Dan? In past years, absolutely. This past year, is so much better but I think some of the policies of the ticket office are extremely questionable. They (Dan and the ticket office) have improved greatly this year but this bugs me.

So what's the real issue? My issue is that they are artificially creating demand for season tickets. A lot of people who buy them, in a year or two or three, figure out that they are overpaying (for uppers), it's hard to go to all the games, they can get them other places (StubHub, C-list, etc), the games aren't really sold out and they turn in their tickets. What's the fix? Lower the prices in the upper level to meet demand so that the entire upper level is a real "sellout". Full disclosure, my tix are lowers, so it wouldn't help me. Is this possible? I really don't know, FedEx is huge and that's a lot of seats to sell, given the economy, performance of the team last 15 years. Hopefully when the team improves, if the price is right it will happen and FedEx will be full, really full.

If you want to see my post about the cost of tickets, look here:
I'm sure you'll love it ;).

Seriously, thanks for replying. Obviously I don't agree with you, but I do appreciate your response.

Posted by: matt555 | September 22, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse