Redskins announce Dallas Week festivities

Burning a Cowboys hat. (Photos by Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

My first clue that the Redskins were planning something special for the first week of this NFL season came on the first day of training camp, when Larry Michael was interviewing Daniel Snyder for ESPN 980. Suddenly, as if a lightning bolt of inspiration had ripped out of the sky and smashed into Loudoun County Parkway, Michael had an idea:

Dan, you know thinking ahead, week 1, wouldn't it be cool, week 1, Cowboys in town, for the whole town to kind of get fired up that week? You know, wouldn't it be cool if that was just Redskins Week?

The next clue came a few days later, when Snyder sat down for an interview with Hogs Haven, and was asked about the policy restricting tailgating until four hours before kickoff:

"I think we're going to open at 12 for the opening game," Snyder said. "And we have some special stuff we are going to announce that we are doing in the parking lots."

The final clue came on Thursday, when the Redskins sent out a massive press release touting all the special festivities they've arranged for this upcoming week. GM Bruce Allen discussed the plans during an appearance in the booth Thursday night.

"I'm so excited. We have an event every day, and some days we have two or three events, including events with the alumni. And game day is really gonna be special. Dan came up with a great idea of helping the people tailgate. We're gonna open up the lots early, we're gonna have video boards out in the parking lot so everybody can watch the other games that are going on. It's gonna be a festive week. Dallas Week is special; we're just gonna try and amp it up a little bit more."

And thus, here are highlights from the schedule. The press release, I should also note, refers to the upcoming matchup with "the hated Dallas Cowboys, the latest installment of the NFL's greatest rivalry." The release says this week will "take the Redskins/Cowboys rivalry to the next level," and predicts Sunday will be "the biggest pregame tailgate in Redskins' history."

TUESDAY

There will be official proclamations in P.G., Montgomery County, D.C., Loudoun County and Fairfax County, proclaiming the start of Redskins Week. The bosses of several of these jurisdictions "will issue a friendly wager on the outcome of the game with their counterparts in Texas."

WEDNESDAY

There will be a day-long "Beat Dallas" party, starring alumni, at Morton's the Steakhouse. There will also be a "Return to Glory" evening event at Union Jack's in Ballston, starring Bruce Allen.

THURSDAY

"A great tradition from the past returns...with "HONK IF YOU HATE DALLAS!" day. Redskins celebrities, Hogettes, and the girls of Hooters will be encouraging commuters in the D.C. Metro area to show their team loyalty by honking when they see signs at major intersections and thoroughfares."

Official burgundy-and-gold paramedics and alumni from the team's training staff will also be on hand to deal with the expected rash of road-rage injuries.

FRIDAY

Redskins fans are encouraged to wear burgundy and gold all day "to show their pride for the team." The Redskins cheerleaders will also appear live on the TODAY program in New York, where they'll pass out "Beat Dallas" shirts.

At the same time, the Seattle Seahawks cheerleaders are expected to appear on the Diane Rehm program in D.C., where they'll pass out "Beat San Fran" tube socks.

Snyder will later attend the Heritage High pep rally in the afternoon, and will perform the coin toss for High Point's home opener in the evening.

SATURDAY

Fans are invited to Redskins Park to send the team off after practice. There will be competitions for the best-dressed fan and the best-decorated vehicle.

That night, Redskins alumni -- who basically put in more hours for the team than Albert Haynesworth nowadays -- will help debut the "flatbed-mounted giant screens" that will be used in the parking lots on Sunday. The alumni are expected to watch several episodes of Matlock on Saturday night.

SUNDAY

"For the first time ever, the parking lots at FedExField will open at noon for the 8 p.m. game," the release says. There will be five "giant videoboards" in the parking lots and pavilion, appearances from the band and cheerleaders (and alumni, of course), and a chance to watch the 4 p.m. games on the stadium's new big screen from the lower bowl.

Then there will be a football game against Dallas, hopefully allowing the alumni to sit down and rest for a few minutes. Still, more hype is better than less hype, and eight-plus hours of tailgating could potentially lead to some special moments. Hope the alumni don't get scared easily.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 3, 2010; 9:33 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ernie Baur, unsung hero of D.C. sports, retires
Next: Warren Sapp breaks down Bruce Allen's role

Comments

That last pic is AWESOME

Posted by: cpayne624 | September 3, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I love every word of this. But none more than: Sunday will be "the biggest pregame tailgate in Redskins' history."

I think that's a pretty safe bet.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Monday:
Beginning around 6:00, start calling into the various Monday Morning QB shows on sports radio frustrated and complaining that the new regime is not working and call for someone to be benched/fired.

Posted by: law3 | September 3, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Larry Michael had another great idea where you put together a team capable of beating Dallas. Snyder could not comment on that.

Posted by: cao091402 | September 3, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Just please don't open the parking lots 8 hours before the Philly Monday night game.

Posted by: dcborn61 | September 3, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Based on experience at the lightly attended Ravens game, and given that they're going to bolix up the lots with these video boards (and presumably the folks camped out staring drunkenly at them), I'm calling it now:

Epic.

Parking.

Fail.

Posted by: wahoo2x | September 3, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know this was a "tradition," but I do remember seeing people do this years ago, when the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry was at its apex in the 1980s. But I always thought it was spontaneous, not a planned event run by the team...

Posted by: TheFingerman | September 3, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Highlight of Dallas week:

Sunday night is the debut of gold pants!

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Epic.

Parking.

Fail.

Posted by: wahoo2x | September 3, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

That truly made zero sense.

The lots opening up 8 hours before gametime will guarantee one thing: traffic and parking will be smoother than it has ever been at Fed Ex. When you open the lots 8 hours before kickoff, you spread out the times when fans will come and thus less people on the road at the same time.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I hate the Dallas Cowboys and the Dallas Cowboy fans and so should you

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | September 3, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

What day are they handing out all the unsold tickets?

Posted by: Kev29 | September 3, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Great, 8 hours of pre-game tailgating for the drunkards...

Any word on extra security to haul these fools out of the stadium and janitorial staff to clean up the vomit before the first quarter is over?

Posted by: CapsNut | September 3, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

CapsNut: you are exactly right. This is just an excuse for the low class idiots of both the Redskins and Dallas fandom persuasion to get lit before the game. Resulting of course in altercations, puking, people passing out and brawls. A nice way for Snyder to make the stadium a friendly place for those of us who actually exercise some responsibility and want to watch a football game.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

None of this matters if they go out and get stomped...more marketing hype from Snyder.

Posted by: dbunkr | September 3, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

While I agree there will likely be an increased number of altercations and drunkards due to the lengthy tailgate, tailgating in and of itself shouldn't be synonymous with "idiots" or drunken foolery. Contrary to popular belief, the majority of tailgating activity at FedEx, and I am sure in most stadiums, is responsible and controlled. Unfortunately, our understandably hypersensitive fan base sees one fight or arrest and immediately hits the blogs and radio programs with how out of control the alcohol consumption is. As someone who has hasnt missed a game or tailgate at FedEx since it opened in 1997, I can say that with complete confidence. Too many people make sweeping generalizations, often based on the ONE game they attended back in October of 2003. It's just a lose-lose situation for this front office right now. For years, the cry was that the lots werent open early enough to alleviate traffic, etc. Now everyone wants to moan about them being open too early, ask when all of the "unsold tickets" are being given away, etc. I am always amazed at how many alleged fans stay negative 24/7. Lighten up, people.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 3, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

And during half time there will be a "puke N dehydrate" contest at the 50 yard line for those very few hard core tailgators who can some how manage to stand upright.

Posted by: KarK | September 3, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 10:56 AM

Stop crying you idiot.

Posted by: Section104 | September 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Im excited! Honk if you hate Dall-ass!!!

HAIL!!

Posted by: myeldell | September 3, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

r.e. opening the lots up 8 hours earlier making the parking easier, I obviously disagree. It seems about 1/2 to 2/3 of fans come early and tailgate. The other 1/2 to 2/3 all arrive in the 90 minutes before kickoff, because they just want to go to their seats and watch the game. Opening the lots earlier simply gives the tailgaters more time to spread out, block up lanes of travel, and take over parking spaces that they assume are going to end up empty because nobody has come to use them yet and they've been tailgating for hours already.

Given the added complication of jumbotrons in the parking lot and the fact that the parking attendants are still "new" for week 1, I'm certain the traffic jams by game time will be epic.

Posted by: wahoo2x | September 3, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

If people don't want to be in a traffic jam then they should leave earlier. Dummys.

Posted by: Boog21 | September 3, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Wow, in Dallas there is no Redskins week because they are not even a rival. this reminds me of some clown wanna be boxer calling out Mike Tyson in his prime. KFC stadium will be filled Woodbridge meets S.E. and cheer for a undiform. They are a show and will be lcuky if they don't get run out of the stadium by 20.

Posted by: doyouktt | September 3, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Highlight of Dallas week:

Sunday night is the debut of gold pants!

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Has that been confirmed? I know they're wearing the burgundy jerseys.

Posted by: stwasm | September 3, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@SuperSkin

My negative view of the drunkards doesn't come from some game back in 2003, it comes from just about every single freaking game I've been to since 2003.

Case in point, last year against Dallas there were not one, but two women in the row right in front of me who showed up 2 seconds before kickoff lit-up more than Times Square on New Year's Eve. They were yelling and screaming profanities all over the place, especially at those who didn't appreciate their act and wanted them to sit down, and making life miserable for everybody.

Luckily, they passed out before the end of the first quarter and weren't a problem anymore.

But every single game I've been to, I've had to deal with some drunkard who thinks the world revolves around them and their drunkedness.

Posted by: CapsNut | September 3, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Dear Wahoo2x, Capsnut, and Poguesmahone:

You're right, there are going to be "drunk" people at an 8 p.m. season opening game between the Cowboys and Redskins. Come to think of it, in all my years, I have yet to attend any professional sporting event where there weren't "drunk" people in attendance. These people are often the loudest people in the stadium when the home team needs noise, creating a tougher atmosphere...and gee, that's just not fair to our opponents.

Look, if you can't handle sitting next to loud, drunk people at a football game, do us all favor...stop complaining and don't come. Give your tickets to someone who isn't a nerd.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@SuperSkin

Posted by: CapsNut | September 3, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

You are a nerd. Period.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Has that been confirmed? I know they're wearing the burgundy jerseys.

Posted by: stwasm | September 3, 2010 12:32 PM

No. I would be SHOCKED if they wear gold pants on Sunday or at all this season. These things have to be approved by the league and always get leaked or released beforehand (like the fact we know they'll wear burgundy jerseys).

Also, don't expect the Wizards to come out for their first game in red, white and blue... til October 2011 at least.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 3, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

So now Barno supports both Dan Snyder's greed AND obnoxious drunks. You must be thrilled with drunk driving deaths, huh?

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Superskin: I haven't missed a home game since Fed Ex opened, BTW. I'm not going to let the obnoxious drunkards like Barno drive me out.............But I do wish Snyder would stop encouraging it..........

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

FedEx Field = Trailer Park + Vomitorium

Posted by: tyroneshoelaces | September 3, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember the team doing this kind of stuff under Vinnys time here ever.

SNYDER finally getting it?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Barno, if you knew me, you would know that I'm one of the loudest people at the games and yet I never have a drop of alcohol in my system.

I have no problem with people being loud and "creating an atmosphere" at a game. It's a lot of the reason why I put thousands of my hard earned $$$$$ out to go to Redskins, Caps, Terps, and Nats games. And furthermore for the record, I don't have a problem with people who want to "enjoy a cold one or two" while at the game.

What I have a problem with are the people who have to get rip-roaring drunk, make a spectacle out of the themselves, and think the entire world revolves around them showing up at these games. People whose antics make it impossible for other people to bring their children to the games so that their children can watch their heroes perform live in front of them.

If that makes me a "nerd" in your eyes, so be it. I'll wear that label proudly and ask that you projectile vomit in some other direction than towards me while I circulate your picture throughout the internet.

Posted by: CapsNut | September 3, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

All I'm saying is it's a night game that won't end til close to midnight (on a school night no less), so anyone complaining about it not being family friendly...well, maybe you should focus more on getting your kids to bed at a reasonable hour than taking them out to a party atmosphere late at night where drunks will be making lots of noise.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

This will be awesome. Barno can I get a ride to the game?

Will people be wasted, yes. Will some people cross the line, yes. Would that have happened if the lots open 4 or 8 hours before kickoff, yes.

Who cares, this is actually something cool, no reason for the hatersharks to circle on this

Posted by: jpfterps | September 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe some of you crybabies can petition the Redskins/Fed Ex to have a "family only/no alcohol" section.

That way you all can sit there, in peace and quiet, and knit, or talk about the old times, or talk about how in their day they had to walk uphill both to and from school during a blizzard/monsoon/heat wave, or do whatever it is you want to do at games without having to deal with those who enjoy alcohol.

To paraphrase Otto, "I don't need beer to enjoy this, just to enhance it."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Look at Poopy & Barno on the same side of a topic. Reminds me of Rocky 4

"If I can change, and he can change, we can all change"

Posted by: jpfterps | September 3, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

All of this hype for Dallas week... Hope you all are plastered and Boooooo Danny out of the stadium at 10PM because your "so-called team" is going to get an old fashioned azz whoopin come Sept 12th with or w/o Fatso in the line-up. I can see Danny escaping the anarchy at FedEx Field now via his private copter. I only hope McNugget takes the field so Ware can transform his jersey into it's former GREEN....LOL!

******* GO COWBOYS *******

Posted by: Witten82 | September 3, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

All of this hype for Dallas week... Be prepared to bring the brown paper bags AGAIN this year and Boooooo Danny out of the stadium at 10PM because your "so-called team" is going to get an old fashioned azz whoopin come Sept 12th with or w/o Fatso in the line-up. I can see Danny escaping the anarchy at FedEx Field now via his private copter. I only hope McNugget takes the field so Ware can transform his jersey into it's former GREEN....LOL!

******* GO COWBOYS *******

Posted by: Witten82 | September 3, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Fine and dandy, but what about when similar things occur at 1 pm kickoffs?

Just because it is a late kickoff on a "school night" does not excuse it.

Posted by: CapsNut | September 3, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

******* GO COWBOYS *******

Posted by: Witten82 | September 3, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbunkr | September 3, 2010 11:15 AM

There's this new thing people are trying out, it's called 'having fun.' If you have fun before the game, it takes the sting off if you lose. It also makes it better if you win.

People need to lay off Dan Snyder, he's actually getting quite better and is becoming a phenomenal owner.

Posted by: Keiser | September 3, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"FedEx Field = Trailer Park + Vomitorium"

One more reason why I smile while looking at the home theater paid for with the money I saved NOT buying 4 club seats this year.

* Tiered seating for 8
* 100" projection TV flanked by 50" plasmas
* NFL Sunday ticket
* Kegerator of Sierra Nevada
* Stocked humidor
* Awesome food
* Plenty of free parking

When I feel the need to be told when to cheer at a football game I will buy a couple of tickets on Stubhub.

Posted by: TheOneWhoHurtsMost | September 3, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cao091402

HILARIOUS!

Posted by: arnoldturner | September 3, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the red neck trash is out in full force. They will be the ones puking their guts out and passing out before the game starts. By the way, I do hope that the drunken brawl that erupts involves some of our defenders of obnoxious drunkeness, but I suspect that they don't really go to the games.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

>>>>Funny how even the best ideas by the Redskins are met with idiotic gloom and doom predictions by some fans. <<<<

Given that every thing Snyder touches turns to sheet, it is no wonder that fans have that attitude.............

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

* Tiered seating for 8
* 100" projection TV flanked by 50" plasmas
* NFL Sunday ticket
* Kegerator of Sierra Nevada
* Stocked humidor
* Awesome food
* Plenty of free parking

Posted by: TheOneWhoHurtsMost | September 3, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Ehhhh, FedEx still sounds better to me. There is no crisper resolution or better surround sound than actually seeing and hearing it with your own eyes and ears, in person. If being AT the game didnt mean anything, former season ticket holders wouldnt find the need to constantly justify why they gave up their seats. There is nothing - simply nothing - better than being at that stadium during a win. Likewise, there is nothing worse when we lose. That's the gamble/roller coaster that ticket holders pay for. But it's a hell of a ride when we come out on the good end.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 3, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Jpfterps, I got one spot left in the ride...it's all yours (we are going between 12-1).

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Keiser..."phenomenal owner?" You seriously made me LMAO!!! Thank you so much for that. I feel soooo bad for you!

This phenomenal owner of yours decided to...

1. Sue season ticket holders after modifying their year to year season ticket holder contracts.

2. Increase ticket prices from year to year.

3. Increase beer prices from year to year.

4. Sue the churh located at FedEx for parking places(which was there long before JKC built the stadium).

5. Charge fans for Training Camp Admission back in the day.

6. Removes trees from a National Park in order to get a "nice" view of the Potomac River and cares less regarding the fines per tree removed (he's using the fans cash afterall).

7. Threatens to arrest fans walking to FedEx Field from Landover Mall, cops saying "The stadium grounds are private property. Your ways in are either bus (a complete joke by the way), parking pass or cash parking."

8. Continues to seek old over-the-hill players to "try" to compete in the NFL.

9. Attempt to hire Joe Gibbs to save face and then turn around and run him out of town.

10. Hire a previous QB Coach as an Offensive Coord. & then promote him to head coach when NOBODY else would take the head coach job knowing Danny's antics.

I can go on & on...this guy is a disgrace as a "phenomenal owner" to the NFL. Your club would have been SOOOO much better off with JKC's sons resuming ownership, but alas they were outbid by your current fool of an owner.

I live in DC and I'm proud to watch My Cowboys open up 2 cans of whoop ass on Danny's stupidity each season. Have fun beating the Rams & Bucs. Mark my words 2-14 this year.

Posted by: Witten82 | September 3, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

******* GO COWBOYS *******

Posted by: Witten82 | September 3, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@Witten82 - May I ask who you leased or borrowed your incredible confidence from? I take it you either a) stole it from a Packers or Colts fan, or b) purposely didnt watch any of the Cowboys preseason games this year. That's a helluva lot of swag for a fan of a team with THAT offensive line.

Posted by: SuperSkin | September 3, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

While there will be drunks out on sunday, its the same all the time for dallas, its a sh!tshow and that makes it special. Last year there was a girl in my section (417 so you need oxygen and a sherpa to get there) who was so drunk I though she was going to fall down the aisle. there was also a nasty redneck woman who got into arguement with a fellow skins fan up a couple rows and i turned around just in time to see her c-section scar in a sea of stretch marks as her gut was right in my field of vision.
All in good fun for dallas week!!!

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 3, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@SuperSkin...I'll take my O-Line over yours any day of the week. I can see it now...Portis running straight into the line of scrimmage pile for 1 yard here, 1 yard there. McNabb sacked...PUNT! deja vu...deja vu...deja vu.

Posted by: Witten82 | September 3, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Something tells me "Keiser" is really Fushezzi. If so, good work Fusheez...that was pretty good

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Witten82 licks Tom Cruise's taint.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Judging by your screen name McPoop, you have an an equivalent IQ of a mole. You rank right up there w/ Danny and his idiotic decision making. Congrats! Where can I send you the worm from my tequila bottle? I saved it just for you!

Posted by: Witten82 | September 3, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Beat it Witten, Poopy is here to stay. He's one of us...you know, an actual fan of DC SPORTS. Why don't you take your lies over to the Dallas Morning News blogs you geek.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah witten82 aka TomCruiseTaintLicker.

Barno and I will take you down, down to chinatown, mister. Now park your keister, meister.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

However, Barno should clarify that I'm a fan of DC Sports, excluding the Washington Natinals, who were positioned in Montreal, when I was a wee-lad growing up and rooting for the Orioles.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I just hope this Redskins season is as glorious as last year -- THAT was a great year! And even after it, there are four bajillion people on the season ticket waiting list! Better sue grandma! :)

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | September 4, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

I hope Dallas week is like the ones of old, hopefully a lot safer though. I remember going to my first Redskins/Dallas game back in RFK. We had not gotten inside the stadium yet and off in the distance some idiot decided to wear his Cowboys jersey to the game. I just remember him walking up, talking smack, then whoosh, a scrum quickly assembled and like that, dude was shirtless. I remember his friends or family trying to pull him out of the bottom of the pile. It was cold that day too.

Then in 88 or 89 when the Redskins were a powerhouse and Dallas was irrelevant, we passed some fools car decked out with Cowboys bumper stickers and decals. After we beat the crap of Dallas, we come out to the parking lot and the idiot that drove his Cowboy car to RFK is talking with police as his car was riddled with bullets and his back window smashed in with a trash can hanging out the back. D.C. was ahem... "different" back then, especially in the mid to late 80's, Murder Capital of The World days. But Dallas week was something we always got up for.

Posted by: clark202 | September 4, 2010 5:07 AM | Report abuse