Riggins, Brian Mitchell turn on Shanahan

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Well, it took three weeks for the analysts to turn their words against Mike Shanahan. Tough town.

I'm inclined to remember the example of Marty, and to withhold judgment for a few more weeks. People said they wanted a re-build. Future Is Now propaganda aside, people knew that this would take time. Three weeks does not qualify as a whole lot of time.

Still, people will have their say, and they did on Sunday.

Brian Mitchell, Comcast SportsNet's Postgame Live: "This was a very awful showing by the Washington Redskins. We're gonna find some good things, but I would just say, this is a terrible team at this point. I've been sitting up here praising this team, and many people thought I was crazy for praising them, but I saw a difference in what Mike Shanahan was bringing to the table.

"But the game I saw today reminded me so much of last year it's ridiculous. And I think it's time for either Mike Shanahan to get off his ego trip and start to worry about the team more, to get his team prepared, or it's time for these players to say forget about the damn coach and step up and start playing some real football. Because what I saw tonight and last week in the last part of that game isn't Redskins football.....

"Step on the field and play football. Yes, the coach is the leader. I've never said disrespect the coach. But this coach seems to have more of his ego going out. Instead of presenting the Washington Redskins, he wants to present him."

John Riggins, on his MASN post-game show: "They were out-coached today. I don't think, particularly after the loss to Houston, I don't think Mike Shanahan had these guys ready to play. Now I've always taken the tack that it's not the coach's responsibility, I don't think, to get guys ready to play. But at the same time, you've got to do something....

"What I didn't see was the resilience of a team that really is responding and is behind the guy that's leading them, i.e. Mike Shanahan. I'm not gonna say they gave up, but they were walking around in that second half, they had that blank look on their face....

"If you figure that they're pretty much evenly matched, as far as talent goes, [the Rams] wanted it more than Washington, and that is really puzzling....I am really stunned, considering the profile Mike Shanahan has as a two-time Super Bowl winning coach, that his team, this is all that they gave him today, the effort that they gave. And it's not really fair to say that they were just walking around, but they did not play at the same tempo with the same energy that they've played the last couple of games. Somehow they just let it fall off....

"It wasn't a loss where the ball bounced wrong, it wasn't a matter of a call or something like that. They got their rear-ends handed to them by what I would have believed was an inferior team. How do you account for that? There is no other way to account for it. And they did it without the real butt-kicker on that team, he was on the sidelines, Steven Jackson. I'm telling you, Mike Shanahan's got some 'splainin to do."

(Riggins was even harsher on his blog, writing that Shanahan "seemed delusional" in his post-game remarks and that he "seemed to be a man reconciling the truth that only he knew. That, as a coach, he might have lost it.")

Rick Snider, Washington Examiner: "Shanahan makes the decisions here, and his bewildering offseason approach has doomed the Redskins to another bad season....Shanahan is the architect, and his fixer-upper already has imploded. Given that this is the NFL's oldest team, a turnaround won't come quickly, either....

"It's time for Shanahan to earn his reputation. His offseason has the Redskins teetering. He needs to find the solution real quick or it's another 10-loss year in Washington. Meanwhile, Bill Cowher is talking about coaching again in 2011."

By Dan Steinberg  | September 27, 2010; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniel Snyder in Forbes
Next: Wizards react to Emo Gilbert

Comments

Let's not overreact. This is a team that have to learn a new offensive and defensive system. They were 4 - 12 last season...let's not forget that. It will take time. No need to say Shanny has lost it after only 3 games. Even though we have two losses, I really think the effort is better this year vs. last year.

Posted by: rone1 | September 27, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The only complaint I have is going to the 3/4 when they had all the pieces for a good 4/3. The offense is still gelling and has the potential to be very good.

Posted by: jdumb | September 27, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the 'new" CP? Where is ANY run-game? There was a re-play of the 82 SB season, where we RAN the same play "40-gut" 9 times in a row at the fagboys to win the NFC. The defense knew it and could not stop us. Wake-up already, 18 years of misery is long enough, except in Detroit!!

Posted by: aginsburg | September 27, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Redskin football B-Mitch? Thats the problem with local the local fan base and sports commentators in this town. They are stuck on the 80's and dont want to admit that we have a below average team that is going to take some time to become an above average team on a consistent basis. Sure we may win some games but I dont see the skins being consistent winners this year so why start beating up on the coach, the QB and the running back every time they lose as if we are expecting wins every sunday? Even the times we have made the playoffs the last 10 years we havent seen "Redskins Football" based on B-Mitch's recollection. I dont know who overreacts most towards their team, Us or Dallas.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"Given that this is the NFL's oldest team, a turnaround won't come quickly, either...." Hey, with the great drafting ability of the Skins' front office, they'll turn it around in no time...oh wait, they suck at that too.

Posted by: cbtole2 | September 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdumb | September 27, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

This and the non committal to the running game is the problem... Were in the NFC East, lets play like it...

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdumb | September 27, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

where was the D, it seems worst than the one we had last yr. even though stat wise last yr it was pretty good. even thought i didn't think it was that good. but this D, wow any time you can't confuse a rookie, what is going on with all these D xperts in the coachs box. maybe they need to stay out of the paper and off the air, stop tuting there own horns, close the door and get to work. that was and awful game plan, with no changes at the half.

Posted by: williedyn | September 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cbtole2 | September 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

And don't forget we only have picks in two of the first four rounds of next season's draft. A work stoppage could be welcoming.

Posted by: stwasm | September 27, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Gee this was unpredictable. You change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 without making any significant personnel changes. Then, you're surprised when you don't have a nose tackle or 2 of 4 LB's that are big enough or good enough. Add in average corners and two safeties that can hit but can't cover and you get a nice mix. Instead of Haslett making a D out of what the players did best, he installed one that he liked best, who cares bout the players!

Posted by: 54465446 | September 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ged0386 |
Amen..
What we saw yesterday was the real "Redskin Football"..And they are back. Few wins here and there are just aberrations..
I heard Jim Zorn is throwing a huge party to all of Baltimore!!

Posted by: KarK | September 27, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Again we have the extremists controlling the discussion and blowing everything out of proportion. In this case, like with Fox News on the political side of things, this is how money is made. The fans and the media can be very fickle, and here you see it case and point.

I think we need a Rally to Restore Sanity for Redskins fans!!!

Posted by: chitownskinsfan | September 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"But the game I saw today reminded me so much of last year it's ridiculous."

Same players same results.

I don't think people are willing to accept that the players here are not good enough to games. They aren't consistent and thier play shows.

It's going to be a couple years before we rid ourselves of what Cerrato created: "The FrankenSkins"

"Let's not overreact. They were 4 - 12 last season."

Exactly, chill people.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 27, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

It's easy for these two has-beens to go after the coaches. Coaches can't fire back at the media, and if they do, the media turns on them for that too. They should be talking about their brethren, the old and average talent on this team. It's not the players fault that they are old, and it's not their fault that they are not all better skilled. But call a spade a spade. This team is lacking in talent, and everybody knew that going into the season.

This is the best coaching staff we have had in almost 10 seasons, and these fools just want to hit replay on their criticism player because that's easy.

Posted by: LouLewis | September 27, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I had so much hope for a winning season this year! But it is quickly becoming obvious that hiring "celebrated" head coaches whose last name starts with the letter "S" who hire their sons as high-level assistant coaches is a bad idea! A lot of egoistic nepotism there, and in my judgement mostly misplaced. There is a good reason you don't hire relatives. It is tough to tell them to "shape up or ship out!"
Then there is the defense. It held together during the offensive disasters of the past seasons, but this year (with a new defensive coordinator)it is pathetic! Just look at the stats! Pass defense, basically non existent.
Oh well, I've been a Redskin fan since 1955 and I've seen the ups and downs, good times and bad, and I'll be a fan till the day I die. I just hope the good times return before they put me in the ground!

Posted by: Imasailor | September 27, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

My biggest frustration with Shanahan at the moment: why on earth are Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams ahead of Devin Thomas on the depth chart???

Posted by: pit_girl1 | September 27, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

What weapons do they have on offense? Moss is a #3 receiver on any good team. The running backs don't even make the team for an average NFL franchise. TE's are being misused and one is too busy disrupting the locker room!

Mcnabb will be in AZ for 201! What will Brucie, Danny and Mikie do then?

Posted by: sheepherder | September 27, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I heard Jim Zorn is throwing a huge party to all of Baltimore!!

Posted by: KarK | September 27, 2010 2:18 PM

I heard Jim Zorn was a quarterbacks coach whose quarterback threw like 4 picks last weekend.

Posted by: rademaar | September 27, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Chill my a..
B Mitch and Riggo are right.
Do you REALLY think this team will gel?

Santana Moss is NOT a threat to anyone at WR, and we all saw how he carries the ball.

Portis's skills continue to erode behind the worst offensive line in football.

There are no serious threats in the defensive backfield with names like Buchanon, Rogers, Moore & Doughty

There is no serious threat on the dline with AH not being 100% in.

They have 2 good LBs (Orakpo & Fletcher)

Cooley can catch but he surely can't elude anyone and his blocking skills make him a candidate to ship out next year.

And McNabb hasn't proven JACK except that he can sling the ball, but until he manufactures a come-from-behind win, he will forever be remembered as the QB who didn't do much more than Jason Campbell.

Posted by: keedrow | September 27, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

One of the answers is to go back to a 4-3 on defense until the personnel can be drafted or acquired to run something else.

A front four with AH at DT and Carter at DE looks a lot better on paper than AH at NT and Carter in space at OLB.

Orakpo's role wouldn't change that much from 2009.

Landry's role now that he is back at SS wouldn't change that much.

So, other than pride and ego there is no reason to stick with what is not working.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | September 27, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Everybody keeps saying this isn't "Redskins football". Wake up people! This is precisely Redskins football and has been so for the last 20 years. "Band aid" management, retread coaches, overpaid flops, trading draft picks for nothing. This is all you can hope for. Get prepared for an Abe-Pollin-like 46 year run. If you think this is not a laughing stock organization, you are delusional. All you morons who can't face the truth or who want to cut me down, go ahead. I love it.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | September 27, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

And when we beat the Eagles next week, everyone will say how great they are.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | September 27, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Repost-
...I'm venting...

All that was ever needed on last year's 4-3 was a more attacking mindset and some proper personnel placements,namely Orakpo playing his natural end position and Landry playing at strong safety.

I understand the logic Shanahan gave for his reasoning as to why he wanted a 3-4 defense and asked Haslett to create and coordinate it. Shanahan said, when he watched games from the couch last year, he saw the mayhem the 3-4 created and decided he would run one his next gig.

When it has the right mix of personnel and scheme, a 3-4 is effective, but the same could be said of ALL defenses.

If only Haynesworth had gone about it differently when making his point about the defense, Shanahan and Haslett may have been more receptive to a overall scheme in-season adjustment.

As it is, the two are probably locked into a defensive stance,so no one dares suggest going back to a 4-3.
A shame, really, because Shanahan obviously wants to win now, but forcing the 3-4 defense on 4-3 personnel actively thwarts his own grand design.

Players say it all the time, I remember S.Moss and the offense saying it about Al Saunders 700 page offense at the time...sometimes you don't need all the tricks, sometimes you just have to line up and execute. Sure wish the coaches would see that about the 3-4, we don't need all the tricks.
Besides, Landry playing up gives a natural 8 man front-look anyway, that can be tricked-out.

Though Orakpo is lean for a strongside DE, he played it in college and would grow into the position. A.Carter can return to the weakside end. I'm on my soapbox about Chris Wilson-this kid must see the field more often. I believe in this kid at the LB in a blitzing 4-3. C.Wilson seems to have that "it" that marks a good pass rusher particularly from WDE-look, I'm a fan,I know, but C.Wilson reminds me of Robert Mathis/Charles Haley-he looks too skinny to play end, but he can.

I would like AH in the middle with K.Golston. Last year everything funneled to L.Fletcher & we know how that turned out-Pro-Bowl tackling machine. R.McIntosh showed some promise blitzing from the WLB in the preseason and Robert Henson was all over the place-too bad he's now hurt and on the practice squad/barely in the NFL.

So to cap, it could be worse, however, if we would ease into (we can't simply abandon the 3-4 after an offseason of installing it,nor should we) into a 4-3 defense as the base and do our fancy 3-4 tricks on passing downs, the team would be 2-1, at the least.

Oh yeah, what is the deal with Devin Thomas, how can a young player show Shanahan anything on offense if he barely plays? He's our biggest, fastest, youngest and most lively receiver, at this point I don't care what reason(s) Shanahan gives, put the kid in the game more on offense,if DT can run back kick-offs, why isn't he running reverses or end-arounds?

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 27, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This is an OLD team. They were bought with future dollars. They'll win some and they'll lose some but they won't win enough to go anywhere-----and it's gonna be like this for years to come and if the philosophy of the OWNER doesn't change it may never end.
I'd hate to see Bill Cower come here because he'd only be coming for the money. Any knowledge football person can see what is wrong with the Redskins. It's the owner. The loyal fans deserve much more.

Posted by: VBFan | September 27, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I think we need a Rally to Restore Sanity for Redskins fans!!!

Posted by: chitownskinsfan | September 27, 2010 2:29 PM

That is the best thing I've read all day!

Posted by: wisdom80 | September 27, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree with rmcazz - chill. It's been, what, THREE games with a new coach, new QB and a buncha other new players? No such thing as a quick fix.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 27, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

When you get beat by the worst team in the league the last 2 years don't that make the Redskins the worst team in the league right now.

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | September 27, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | September 27, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | September 27, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | September 27, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | September 27, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

keedrow: Do you REALLY think this team will gel?
===
Nope. But that doesn't mean Riggo and Mitchell are right. I know it's not exciting to go on the radio every week and say, "yeah, the Redskins aren't that talented. Until they get better players they're going to be bad." They get better pub by calling for the coach's head. I get that.

But really, the Redskins aren't that talented and until they get better players they're going to be bad.

Most of my fan-friends seem to have more patience than the radio hosts. We were all a bit stunned by yesterday's loss, but hey...this is a bad team. It's going to take a while for the Redskins to climb out of this hole.
===
ArmchairGM: "Oh yeah, what is the deal with Devin Thomas, how can a young player show Shanahan anything on offense if he barely plays?"
===
Well, either 1) two separate management and coaching staffs have conspired to keep a talented WR off the field so that the team can lose or 2) he's not good.

Given how thin the Skins are at WR I gotta think that if Thomas showed ANY spark AT ALL, the coaches would give him a shot. He's not out there. He can't even beat out street free agents. So I assume the coaches aren't seeing anything.

Sometimes it's not that complicated.

Posted by: hubcap | September 27, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

The Skin coaches is on an ego trip and to run a 3-4 you have to have the linebacker and the Skins don't. Orakpo and Carter are end and it show in the play and I,m just a fan and can see that.I,m sick of look are what I do type of people. don't care and now these type of people are going to make me stop looking at my life long love for the Skins.Thomas the Skin biggest and fastest wide out not playing. ego trip. not running the ball ego trip. moving player in and out on just a. bout every play, ego trip. people who think they live above other just don,t really know the masses and always out of touch, and thats the Skins Coaching staff

Posted by: lostdogrwd101 | September 27, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I had to laugh when I saw Mitchell's comments because he had completely swallowed the kool aid and was saying all along how much improved things were. Seems like Brian doesn't know as much as he thought he did...........

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 27, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I think what we've learned is that the Redskins are more than just a new head coach away from being a good team.

We've replaced coaches on a regular basis and that's brought us nothing. Maybe there isn't a lot of talent on this team.

We have few bonafide stars. Orakpo; maybe, this defense doesn't seem to fit him too well. Williams; probaby, but he didn't play yesterday.

Our line, on both sides of the ball, is weak. We have one good receiver in Moss and a good TE in Cooley. We appeared to have blown in with the three second round picks from a couple of years back and we wasted a lot on Haynesworth.

These kid of mistakes will take years to recover from. Give up on this year, hope that in two years, we can be competetive. But we'll need a new QB by then.

Posted by: jimbo561 | September 27, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimbo561 | September 27, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Will the media stop it with the "Redskins lost to an inferior team" stuff? This team is the same team that has won just 12 of its last 32 games. The Skins overrate themselves so naturally the fans and media are surprised when they lose to teams like St. Louis. The current Redskins roster is what it is. Good enough to go 8-8 when almost everything goes there way. I think Shanahan had to go public with a win now mentality so that the players are sure to give maximum effort and can be graded accordingly. Did you notice that the Skins didn't have one big free agent signing this offseason? Its likely because Shanahan is identifying the players he wants to keep in the long term. Come on folks, we start Andre Carter at outside linebacker (for example). Can we really expect to have a great defense? Give Shanahan some time to build this team. As usual, in this town, the fans want to win yesterday and can't see the forest beyond the trees.

Posted by: plorell | September 27, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Hello, testing...

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 27, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@hubcap
~~
Trust me, I get it that Devin Thomas hasn't impressed enough Shanahan enough, but how can he when he doesn't get in the game?

At this point, the team has absolutely nothing to lose by putting Thomas out there more often.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 27, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@hubcap
Let's remember the totality of Devin Thomas' time with the Skins. Malcolm Kelly was the anointed one, given every opportunity to supplant Randle-El opposite S.Moss last year.
Devin Thomas did show SOMETHING at the end of last year, frankly, he showed more than Kelly.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 27, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@hubcap
~~
My gut feeling tells me Thomas is the same type of dude- get in, hit someone on a running play, get hit on a slant, then settle down.

The Site/D.Steinberg didn't like a long post, so I had to break it up into separate ones.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 27, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Tough crowd here in DC! I admit, I was EXTREMELY disappointed yesterday, but upon reflection, I agree with those who point to the reality that Skins' talent is below average, the team is OLD, and the O & D systems are new, not to mention the coaches. They may well go 4-12 or 5-11 this year, but as fans we just have to suck it up & be patient. 10 years of bad drafts & lousy free-agent signings is going to take time to correct--like 3 yrs of time. Oh, well, we just gotta wait it out. Sigh...

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | September 27, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@hubcap
Again, we have nothing to lose by finding out whether this kid can help. Sorry, I can't support the "he's not impressing in practice" junk-put him in the games and leave him in long enough to get acclimated.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 27, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

The chinks in the armour are showing for this team. They are an OLD team that does not have the swagger or the pop. They talk a lot, but that's usually a sign of inferiority.

The Rams were not the inferior team that lost by hapenstance. The Rams are a better team right now then the skins. The win over Dallas was an abomination. The cowgirls imploded on that nite. Then you have the debacle with the Texans. Up by 17 or so points and Donnovan was all smiles on the sidelines, thinking the game was over. He wasn't smiling when they went three and out at the end of the game...

Team and Coaching staff are way overrated at this point. They will be fighting with the Giants for last place in the NFC East.

Skins have so much house cleaning to do, talent wise that I don't see a Shannahan signature team until the year 2013, if he stays that long.

Hope the Caps don't dissapoint again this year!

Posted by: sd-bones | September 27, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell is a loud-mouth, self-important idiot who thinks he knows more than anyone. The guy was not even a good enough player to be a first team player, lets get real he was nothing more than a decent returner. He has no room to criticize anyone.
If people can not see the difference in coaching this year, well then they don't know squat about football. They play calling is light years ahead of what this team has been experiencing in the last decade. The defense is looking bad, but it is a whole new system (remember your buddy JC?) and they do not have the players yet. Yes. This team is not good enough yet, but it is not the coaching that is the problem.

Posted by: hock1 | September 27, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1 | September 27, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1 | September 27, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch always sees the world from the players eyes. He sides with all the malcontents, and prides himself on "telling it like it is," as long as it does not require him to point out players faults. His attack on the coaching staff is not surprising. He was bitter when he got cut from the Redskins. Why he came back to comment on the Redskins is beyond me. Riggo is just Riggo.

Posted by: 189AROD | September 27, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

we're 1-2 and already folks are jumping ship. do you know how many teams are 1-2 right now? ask Brett Favre, or Phillip Rivers. this is a marathon not a sprint. Green Bay is now 1 game up on us at 2-1. what the heck is wrong. we have problems that can be fixed. most importantly we have to win division games ad home games and St.Louis don't fit tha bill. we go to Philly on sunday and if you think Mc5 don't have a bone to pick there your crack dealer is better than mine. lets all take a deep breath and relax we have a long season to unfold. never scared 10-6 or bust

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 27, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's all hang on B-Mitch's words...until you realize he's making HIS LIVING tearing down the Redskins organization. For at least the past 4 years, that's the B-Mitch script.
And what is "Redskins football", anyway? Seems to me, we just saw it Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: opinionatedinfairfax | September 28, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse