Rob Dibble talks about leaving MASN

The Nats announced on Wednesday that Rob Dibble was permanently leaving the MASN booth -- as Josh DuLac put it in The Post, the team "laid down the smack 'em, yack 'em, sack 'em" on its controversial color man.

Dibble, as far as I can tell, did not comment on the news on Wednesday, but he opened his SIRIUS XM show on MLB Network Radio Thursday morning by reading a prepared statement. It lasted about 25 seconds. Here it is:

"As you may know, I made some statements last week about Stephen Strasburg, and have been called controversial and angered many. In my role as analyst for the Nationals, and [with] the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, I now realize that my comments were inappropriate and disrespectful. I have regret that my time with the team will have to end this way, but have learned from the mistake and look forward to putting it behind me."

There was a pause of several seconds.

"All right," said his co-host, Jim Memolo. "Having said that, we move on."

Dibble's job with the Nationals was not mentioned again in the first segment. There was no hint, as there had been last week, that "sick individuals" had twisted his words.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 2, 2010; 7:29 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones film a Papa John's commercial
Next: Rob Dibble on the Nyjer Morgan brawl

Comments

Nats management is a bunch of whiny little brats. It's hard to support the local team when they pull childish stunts like this. "Mommy, Robbie said something mean about my friend Stephen!"

And if they don't sign Dunn - one of only two or three consistently positive things about the Nats - they will continue to draw pathetic crowds and very little TV audiences. With the Redskins, Caps, and now even the Bullets seemingly on the rise, they can't get caught up in stupid squabbles over a 100% fair assessment, at the time, of an injury.

Posted by: Section104 | September 2, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Better late than never. He's been a blight on the broadcasts for the franchise since he showed up, and it was really only a matter of time before he stuck his foot so deep into his mouth that he wouldn't be able to get it out again.

Posted by: thurdl01 | September 2, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

If you really think this was the only reason they got rid of Dibble, then you're mistaken. The guy has been criticized by many over the past couple of years for his extreme homerism, including the use of "we" and "us." It's one thing to root for the team you cover, but it's a little unnecessary to yell "YEEEEAHHH ATA BABY ZIMMY!!" I'm an O's fan, but I like to turn into a Nats game every once in a while, but his comments usually made me turn the channel, and I don't think I'm the only one. From his repeated comments about the women sitting behind homeplate the one game his other asinine everyday comments, it was time for Dibble to go.

And if the Nats don't sign Dunn this offseason, he can make the trip up 95 if he wants..

Posted by: asparrow | September 2, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

This is stupid. Actually, I don't really care in the big scheme of things....but if I did, I'd think this is stupid. Good luck Dibble.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 2, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Firing Dibble was appropriate. It wasn't stupid and it wasn't censorship. Mike Rizzo and Stan Kasten have jobs to protect the Nationals players. If you have their TV color man questioning their manhood on national radio for reporting an injury, its going to discourage they players from reporting future injuries, and, in turn, could result in permanent damage to the player.

Rob Dibble is stupid for making inappropriate remarks about a 22 year old kid who was seriously injured when he didn't know what he was talking about, and got exactly what he deserved.

Posted by: raymitten | September 2, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Well I guess now some people can gloat that they got Rob Dibble run out of Washington.

Posted by: LouLewis | September 2, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Congrats on helping to get Dibble fired, Steinberg. Now Nats games will be a lot less fun to watch on TV for the rest of us and maybe you can get the boring, politically correct, vanilla announcer that you think belongs in the booth. Boo!
Good luck Dibble!!

Posted by: OldTownNatsfan11 | September 2, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I like Dibble as an analyst but he seemed to always want to put his thoughts and opinions over everyone and everything else. Mixed feelings.

Posted by: Wizfan4ever | September 2, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

And wit this the broadcasts are now dull as all get out. Nats FO handled this like a bunch of cowards. A real man would have gone to dibble on air and just demanded an apology.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

So now that Dibble is fired does that mean these idiot Dibble cultists who insist on complaining on this blog will finally go away?

One can only hope.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | September 2, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I think a lot of people are missing the point with Dibble. He wasn't fired for being a bad color analyst (he was), and he wasn't fired for the Strasburg comment per se - he was fired because he's showing himself to be a liability for the organization and the network. The issue with the women at the Nats game offending his Victorian sensibilities by "talking" at a baseball game (Dibs, I hear they can vote now, too! There goes the neighborhood!) was a huge embarassment for the organization. The Strasburg comment - or, more accurately, Dibs mischaracterization of Strasburg as being the one requesting that he be babied by the Nats (as opposed to the Nats being the ones insisting on the babying), as well as his intransigence in the aftermath of it becoming known that Strasburg needs TJ surgery. He probably could have saved his job (at least for the time being) if he had just manned up and said, "Hey, what I said was said before I knew the kid needed TJ surgery. Obviously, if someone is injured enough to need surgery, they should absolutely NOT just 'suck it up' and risk further injury." But no, Dibs had to lash out at sick people living in their mothers' basements, or however it was he characterized it. If he had taken the Mike Wise route and said "Hey, I made a mistake, I was wrong", this would likely have just blown over.

Posted by: RCBJr | September 2, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed Dibble well enough, warts and all. I liked him better than Bob Carpenter, certainly. I think it is time for the Nats to act like the ascendant team we all hope they are, and get a top-notch TV team that everyone can be proud of. We already have long-term keepers in Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler on the radio. Give us people that will draw us to MASN, not just get attention by controversy or repel others by personality.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | September 2, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Interesting how the Post runs its story about Dibble being fired over the fold on page one of Sports, yet its story about sports columnist Mike Wise being suspended is buried deep inside the Style section. My application for admission was denied, Dan, so can you please enlighten me - is this how they teach Journalism 101 at the U of Kaplan?

Posted by: FeelWood | September 2, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

What do people want to look at in terms of finding a new color guy?

Any ex-senators doing broadcasts? Should they go after anyone who played with the O's? Even any recently retired Nats?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Bring back Tom Paciorek! He was funny, insightful, and self-effacing--perfect for the hapless Nati[o]nals.

Posted by: Viktor3000 | September 2, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I blame the Nationals for this. They should have known Dibble's personality PRIOR to signing him. And if they didn't, then they didn't do their homework. Shame on them.
He added alot of excitment to a bad team and I enjoyed his insights and color commentary every inning of every game.
The Nats blew this one.

Posted by: NatsSince1967 | September 2, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

That was not the way to go. Dibble got criticized for being a homer, and then for being a (overbearing, in hindsight) critic. He wasn't the only one using the "man-up" card (ahem, ESPN). He had a fast opinion that turned into an "insensitive remark" towards the Nats new boyfriend. So I guess MASN actually only wants homer, company-line only guys?

Posted by: law3 | September 2, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised. The wimpy owners need to follow the protesrts of the wimpy fans. Dibble should have stayed with a raise in salary.

Posted by: boyn4884 | September 2, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I had some serious issues with Dibble's abilities as a color guy. Was not his biggest fan. But I feel bad that he was fired, lost his job. The Strasburg comments were not a firing offense. I wonder who they'll bring in for auditions during the final 4 weeks of season. Dibble's firing, plus all of the anger directed toward hard-nosed Nyjer by alleged Nats fans, is making today another depressing one for this real Nats fan.

Posted by: HonestBroker1 | September 2, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

My only question is, why do you hire someone with a big mouth and then fire him when he simply does what he pretty much always has done?

Dibble's not known as a calm, thoughtful, analytical person. If you don't want someone like him in the booth, then hire someone polite and milquetoast who never says anything remotely controversial.

I'm no Dibble fan, it just seems like giving a 3-year contract to someone like him (rather than maybe a 1-year deal to see if he could "contain himself") didn't make much sense.

Posted by: blackjack65 | September 2, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Not that anyone is yelling "censorship," but the Nationals employ the broadcasters so you can't expect the broadcasters to be objective and speak any sort of truth to power. You would think the Nationals' handling of Strasburg (or any other player) would be a worthy topic of discussion or debate, but as long as the announcers are the employees of the organization that they are discussing, you better expect the company line. Dibble didn't get that message and was canned for his honesty.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | September 2, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The Nats look bad in this. Dibble didn't deserve to be fired. By the way, Feelwood is right. The Post buried the story on Wise, and played up the Dibble story. Entirely disingenuous.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 2, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

That should make your day huh Steinberg? I think I'll spend the rest of my day giving Lavar's blog some hits!

Posted by: BrownBagIt | September 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

How did the post bury the Wise story? It was prominently positioned on the main page when it broke. Or do all the post criticizers only visit the sports section?

Posted by: John_Keats | September 2, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

and yes, Dibble was an arse clown who became a liability to the franchise

Posted by: John_Keats | September 2, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

On the one hand, I won't miss Dibble because he was such a blatant homer. I particularly did not like his obvious homerism in regard to balls and strikes. He regularly would criticize the ump for not calling a pitch by a Nats pitcher a strike, even after the pitch tracker showed the pitch was out of the strike box, and did the reverse numerous times on pitches by the opposing pitcher.

However, the Nats firing of Dibble for criticism of Strasburg is bush league. All along it was painfully obvious that the Nats ownership was pressuring Dibble and Co. to be homers on the broadcasts - much like the Skins clearly pressure Larry Michaels to be a homer on any broadcast for the Skins. This firing is further proof that the Nats ownership demands that it's broadcasters be homers - or else as Dibble found out.

The Nats not only need to hire a top-notch professional analyst for the broadcasts, but desist from pressuring the new hire to be a blatant homer.

Posted by: Monty2 | September 2, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't get it. Dibs has gone hog wild on piss-poor pitching, boneheaded baserunning, and a variety of other Little League-level baseball sins committed all season by this team - and folks think he's getting canned because he doesn't toe the company line? I do miss those candid analyses because he was right, and nobody from the Nats could really argue the point.

What's different here isn't as much WHAT he said, as WHEN he said it - before he or anyone else knew what Strasburg's injury was. He just riffed on a bunch of stupidity that was totally OUT OF SS's hands - the Nats wouldn't even think about letting him "suck it up", and like it or not they are his bosses and they sign his paycheck. Dibs completely missed the boat and made a fool of himself even if some of the general opinions about pitchers now versus 20 years ago have validity.

Personally, I suspect he was down to his final strike after the idiotic riffing on the women behind home plate. I will miss him, but what he did wasn't rising to the level of being a good analyst, it was sinking to being a know-it-all-but-oops-I-didn't-hear-the-question-teacher gasbag. Best of luck improving the skills to go along with the colorful personality.

Posted by: lousywebsite | September 2, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lousywebsite | September 2, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

It makes the Learner's look controlling and thin skinned, in firing Dibble. Dibble's comments were made on his own radio show, not on a MASN broadcast.
I found his edgy, colorful, & often times critical commentary a big improvement over folksy Don Sutton. He had an opinion, and wasn't afraid to put it out there, maybe the next color commentator will tow the company line, talk about everyone he knows like Don did, and be boring as heck.

Posted by: Hattrik | September 2, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I will really, really miss Rob Dibble and I hope that the Nats relent. He was a color commentator who added genuine color to the broadcasts.

And although his out-of-context remarks about Strasburg were only wrongheaded taken, as they were, out of context. He prefaced them with something to the effect, "If the MRI shows damage, then of course he shouldn't play, but..."

Major league pitchers SHOULD suck it up when the problem is mere aches and pains. Strasburg, to his credit, tried to remain in the game, and I am certain that Dibble acknowledged that fact somewhere outside of his more widely reported remarks.

The fact is, they treat these kids like hothouse flowers these days and there's no wonder that they wind up with all the endurance and stamina of hothouse flowers because of it. One becomes what one is trained to become, in baseball as in every other walk of life.

Now, as to those who complain about Dibble's "homerism," what the heck attitude do they think home announcers SHOULD exhibit during home broadcasts, fer cryin' out loud? Out of the many things I liked about Rob Dibble, his homerism tops the list. I want my team's announcers to root for MY team, openly and emphatically. Dibble did, and remained interesting and informative throughout.

Nobody seems to complain about Sonny and Sam (and that other guy who still isn't Frank), who are and always been homers to the extreme (for which I give thanks).

Remember Ron Weber with the Caps, who rooted for the Caps louder than any fan? Remember what a homer Jon Miller was when he was the O's announcer? These are widely acknowledged as GREAT announcers, with Weber perhaps the greatest hockey announcer of all time, and called the team they were announcers for "we" and the other teams "they" all the time.

As for Washington baseball, Charlie Slowes is a GREAT homer, as were Dan Daniels and John McLean, Chuck Thompson (as he always was with the Os later), and Arch McDonald.

I WANT our announcers to be homers on our broadcasts. Why on earth would ANY Nats fan desire otherwise?

It's like the song says (you know, that GREAT baseball song that they SHOULD be playing instead of the always cloying and insipid "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch), "And it's root, root, root for the Home Team..."

Posted by: FergusonFoont | September 2, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Can we get rid of Carpenter now, too?

Posted by: Justin6 | September 2, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

First of all, the Nats do play "Take Me Out to The Ballgame" at every game during the 7th inning stretch. I believe they only play "God Bless America" during Sunday games or other special games. From time to time I have heard grumbling from a few fans about the playing of "God Bless America" or how the Nats honor our returning troops with a special moment between innings early in the game. Frankly, I'm proud of the Nats for doing that. Hopefully that tradition doesn't go by the wayside because a few take exception to it.

Having gotten that off my chest, I do agree that the home team announcers should be homers and root for the home team. I had no problems with Dibble doing that. My problem with him was his ego and how he could never be wrong. And with how sometimes he seemed disinterested in the game and was obviously doing research on his computer and then would throw out some obscure fact well after it was pertinent to what was going on at the time. When he unloaded on Ray Knight who questioned Dibble's comments after a Strasburg game about Strasburg throwing too many strikes, I'd had enough of Dibble. I'm not that big of a Ray Knight fan, but I thought that Dibble's on-air treatment of him was way over the top and so unprofessional. He later apologized but how many incidents should the Nats have to endure with him being stupid and then later apologizing? I think the Nats did the right thing in getting rid of him.

Posted by: willypops | September 2, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Dibble just can't get his timing right. He questioned Strasburg's manhood before a complete diagnosis was in and now he admits his remarks were disrespectful after being fired.

It's too bad he couldn't have waited for the SS condition to unfold and then have a broader discussion on how to handle young pitchers, manage worklaods, etc. It would have been useful to hear his views but he chose to make negative comments about one individual before all the facts were in.

Plus his comments about women talking during a game were just plain sexist. I've sat next to plenty of guys who spent the game looking at their Blackberries.

Posted by: Natmeister | September 2, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

To quote Bill Clinton's character in a Simpson's episode,

"No, thank you, Lisa. For teaching kids everywhere a valuable lesson: If things don't go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true."

Looks like the complainers just kept complaining until they got their way. Little babies want their bottles and binkies now?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 2, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Dibble took homerism to a new level.

I have no issue with a team's announcers being pro-the home team, or even using the "we" or "us." For me, that's no big deal.

However, Dibble would regularly criticize an ump that he should have called the pitch a strike for the Nats pitcher, the pitch tracker then shows the pitch is outside the strike zone - often well outside the strike zone - and Dibble would say "See, that pitch was close enough that the ump should call it a strike" rather than "No I was mistaken" as Ray Knight did a few games ago, and then takes the exact reverse tact when the opposing teams pitcher is pitching. That type of homerism I can do without because it draws into question the credibility of everything else the analyst decides to opine on.

Posted by: Monty2 | September 2, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

divided opinion on the dibble firing. he had good moments of interesting insights of the game. he was often too critical of any particular thing to the point of being obsurd. he was like a diamond in the rough, real rough, and when he rubbed the wrong way it could do damage. at the same time, the diamond could often show through, and i think that's what his fans will miss. he has potential to be a good color commentator, he just needs to smooth out some of the rough edges. that won't happen here....oh well

Posted by: joerutgens72 | September 2, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Dibble was very insightful and not just a homer. We get enough of yes men with local sports teams. Redskins and Wizards are the worst. Dibble was ultimately wrong in his assesment of Strassburg, but there was that element of over babying Strrassburg that I guarentee many fans fealt. I have to say that as a fan, I fealt honored that a competitor like Dibble adopted the losing Nationals as "his" team. He will be more succesful, at least in the short run, than the Nationals.

Posted by: bobilly2 | September 2, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Too funny. This guy was the biggest homer ever. Ever listen to him when he was cheerleading the Nats?

Makes a comment when not working for the team and they fire him.

Nats organization makes the O's look like the Yankees.

Posted by: rockbroker | September 2, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Kasten in this instance, has a "brutal strike zone" when it comes to Strasburg.

Posted by: jaho | September 2, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Interesting theory on this situation. Boras did not like what he heard Dibble say about his super client so he called Kasten/Rizzo and said that none of his clients would ever play for the Nats if Dibble wasn't fired.

Posted by: MKadyman | September 2, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Well I've watched my last Nationals game this year. Ray Knight makes my ears bleed. Total garbage. If they bring in a decent color guy OTHER than Ray Knight I'll come back. Until then, no thanks.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 2, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Just like Nyjer Morgan the writings on the wall for Rob Dibble were starting to accumulate:

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 2, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I go all the way back to Arch MacDonald and Bob Wolfe, Warner Wolf, and John McCain and Dan Daniels. Fast forwarding 34 years it has been Mel Proctor,Ron Darling, Don Sutton, and Dibble and in my book none was nearly as good as Ray Knight. I thought Ron Darling was pretty good but Sutton put me to sleep and Dibble was too egotistical and schizophrenic with his homer/detractor personality and the repetition was mind numbing. I like Knight's broad knowledge and focus on the whole game, as opposed to primarily pitching, and his enthusiasm is very contageous. He has the reputation as one of the nicest guys in baseball and I can't help but believe it. I found myself watching the games with the sound off and fast forwarding between pitches but with Ray in the booth I am back to enjoying every minute.

Posted by: sufferingsenatorfan | September 2, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before: The Nats may be dreadful on the field but they have two of the best radio announcers in the Biz. Why not simulcast the games next year or rotate them into the TV booth? It's a shame not to expose Slowes and Jagler to the TV audience. Almost mindboggling unless there is some roadblock with Mr. Angelos' Sports Network.

Posted by: Natstoyou | September 2, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I know this is likely to start a torrent of comments on what some may deem not the issue here... but here goes:

If the Nats management have seen fit to fire Dibble for these misjudgments, and don't immediately also give Nyjer Morgan the heave-ho, they have lost all credibility in my eyes. Nyjer has displayed - not just this week, but all season - the kind of immaturity, poor sportsmanship, and downright bush-league behavior that wouldn't be tolerated in Little League, let alone the Majors. His antics over the past couple days have been an embarrassment for the entire Nats' fan base. And his contributions as a player haven't been nearly consistent enough to justify overlooking any of it. IMHO, Morgan deserves not only to be suspended by MLB, but also to be banished by the Nats.

Posted by: nan_lynn | September 2, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

This sucks now nats games are once again boring and uneventful way to go stein you got what you wanted.Love him or hate him people tuned in to see what he had to say. Enough of this PC GARBAGE!

Good Luck Dibble.

Posted by: terpterror21 | September 2, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Dibble should have been fired for this.

But I also don't think he ever should have been hired for the job.

I watched a lot of games on TV and it got to the point I couldn't take him anymore and would listen to the radio - like I do with the redskins.

but i did like him - just not so much of him. good luck dibble -sorry you got fired - you didn't deserve it.

Posted by: capitolhill09 | September 2, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Nats management is idiots. I agree with all the posters and fans that say Dibble made the broadcast of a usually dismal team, entertaining. I loved the homerism, loved the non-PC personality, and loved the insight. The uptight DC culture claims another victim.

Not looking forward to an older, drier commentator.

Steinberg, you must have had some beef with him, b/c I feel your constant, critical blogs on Dibble fueled the fire...

Posted by: mobrien022 | September 2, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

At least Dibble made it interesting to watch paint dry, grass grow, and the Nats play.

Posted by: richs91 | September 3, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

I liked Dibble. An ex pitcher who gave us insight to how you think on the mound. How you work with the catcher. How you handle the Umps. He made some bone head comments about Strasburg, and he'd admit it, but he is opinionated, like any athlete, or my friends, but he has a track record to talk. He was humble enough about his own career, but he was a pro pitcher and I loved his candid insight. Better than listening to one of these Musburger types, who never played ball a day in their life. We were lucky to have Dibble as a commentator. I can hardly stand to listen to en NFL game because of the "personality" commentators that pack the booths. If they really knew what they were talking about they'd be on the sidelines coaching. We get too much of that in sports. Basketball is the same way (although Phil Chenier brings us some sanity). Dibble talked like a regular guy, you didn't always agree with him, but he spoke from a position of experience. You have to glean out the information that helps you understand the game. He didn't get on my nerves, like most sports commentators. Let's see what kind of A-hole they replace him with..

Posted by: B_Al_Zebub | September 3, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I'am sorry the Nats fired Dibble. I really
enjoyed listening to him, and learned a lot from his commentary. I watch the Nats on MASN every game. Are the Nats going to
stay with Ray Knight in the booth?
I also watch the Mets and see that Ron Darling, Keith Hernandez and the play by play guy do a good job, but, it's boring. Dibble really brought a lot to the baseball listeners. I heard his remark about the talking women at the game and wasn't offended. I go to games and get very annoyed when fans in front and behind me are talking about stupid stuff. It's a baseball game, "get in the game"....
Sorry for Rob Dibble, good luck guy.
Oh, please, NATS, sign Dunn!

Posted by: dellaadahl | September 3, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

You don't hire a stripper for a children's party then get mad when she takes it all off...You don't hire an outspoken jerk then get mad when he shoots his mouth off.

You either KNOW what you're hiring or you don't...I don't blame Dibs for being himself; at least he's honest about who he is

Posted by: kahlua87 | September 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

See ya, Dibs. And good riddance.

Oh yeah --- Suck it up, dude.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | September 3, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

As far as I can recall, Warner Wolf was never a Senators' announcer. He was the Channel 9 sports guy both before and after the deservedly beloved Glenn Brenner (I STILL miss that guy!). Bob Wolff, however, was a Senators' announcer, their FIRST TV announcer, and a good 'un. And he was a BIG TIME homer.

(Arch McDonald was the Senators' first radio announcer in 1934, when they were defending American League champions. When the Nats would win, his line, corresponding to Slowes' "Put a Curly 'W' in the record book," was "Well, they cut down the old pine tree.")

I miss Arch McDonald, I miss Bob Wolff (who, by the way, is still kickin'), and I already miss Rob Dibble. I have serious doubts that the Nats will be able to replace him with anyone even remotely as interesting and, I must point out, as erudite.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | September 3, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

O's fan didn't like Dibble because he was a homer. Big Whoop. You probably don't like Sonny & Sam either, right?

I quit watching the O's when I finally realized DC would never get a team if area residents like myself continued to support the one up I-95. It was easy after Cal retired because the O's stank, or more accurately stink. Since then they have been about as interesting to me as the White Sox or Reds. Now we have a team. The may stink too, but they are our team. Dibble felt the same way and I'm going to miss him.

Posted by: HondoHomers | September 3, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

It's sad that the Post is apparently taking an anti-Dibble twist here. The fact is that Dibble was in his role as an XM journalist and NOT a MASN announcer when he expressed his honest (though obvious incorrect views) re Strasburg's injury. Here we have someone being fired from his job for expressing his views. We should ALL be outraged at this even if you didn't like Dibble.

A REAL journalistic reponse would be even if I don't agree with you, I'll defend you're right to say it. Steinberg's is, apparently, I don't like your opinions so I have no problem with you being fired for them.

Posted by: alecrogers1 | September 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

FergusonFoont, you are mistaken about Warner Wolf. He did play-by-play for the Senators on WTOP-TV (ch. 9) in the late '60s and had a rotation of baseball people and celebrities in the booth with him as color analysts during the telecasts.

Posted by: OldSkoolDiehard | September 3, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse