Sam Huff and the overtime rules

Sam Huff's place in this town's sports history is secure. He's a legend in multiple fields. He's as comfortable on Sunday afternoons as apple crisp and Wade Phillips screwing something up. That said, Huff could maybe use a primer on the NFL's overtime rules. Highlights from Sunday's broadcast.

Before the coin toss, Larry Michael explains that overtime is sudden death.

Michael: Of course there's new overtime rules in the playoffs, but not during the regular season, so the winner of this coin toss is obviously going to have the first possession and the first chance to score.

Huff: I thought everybody had one chance.

Michael: That's gonna be the case in the playoffs. Rule change for the NFL this year.

After the coin toss, Michael asks Huff about the defense taking the field.

Huff: Well, they'll be on the field first, but they're kicking the ball. You're not gonna score when you're kicking the ball....Let me say this, you don't want to try an onsides kick here, do you?

Michael: No, I would not do that.

Huff: You've got to kick it as hard as you can.

Later....

Huff: This is sudden death, isn't it?

Michael: It sure is.

As Graham Gano prepares for his first crack at that 52-yard field goal, Sam chimes in.

Huff: If he doesn't make it, is the game called, or do you go into another overtime?

Sonny Jurgensen: Houston would take over where he kicks it from, Sam.

Huff: Oh man, whooo, I think I'd punt it.

Jurgensen: Ohhh, now you'd punt it.

Huff: Well, I don't know all these rules. You do.

Gano makes it, but was iced, and then misses it.

Huff [incredulous]: Double overtime?

Michael: Nope.

Jurgensen: No no no, overtime continues.

Huff: It does?

Jurgensen: Nobody's scored yet!

Huff: I know, but you might have double overtime if it keeps going like this.

Jurgensen: You've got seven minutes to go.

Huff: What John? [Listens to producer.] Well, I've been advised if they run out of time and they haven't scored, it's over.

(Inspired by the TBD Facts Machine.)

By Dan Steinberg  | September 20, 2010; 2:08 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonsis: Caps need better discipline, not better defense
Next: Post Executive Editor on Redskins coverage

Comments

which one of them thought it was doughty who picked up the fumble and scored last week against dallas.... oy

Posted by: 3tripleiii | September 20, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

We all could use a primer...
On Sam's defense, he's old as dirt, so we have to cut him some slack - still very enjoyable to listen to those guys on Sunday. Now, if our DC teams (DC U included) could learn to hold a lead that exchange would have never taken place...

Posted by: frescova | September 20, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Did Sam play a bartender on a sitcom set in Boston?

Posted by: rdpinva | September 20, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Remember, Sam has only been broadcasting Redskins games for 30 years or so and it has been 52 years since he played in the most famous overtime game of all time.

Overall, the part of the I heard broadcast seemed improved over last year, even Larry Michaels. I'm still not ready to spell his last name properly though.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | September 20, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Precious! :-)

Posted by: Badwisky | September 20, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I listen frequently to some of the pre-game and game coverage on 102.1 The Game in Hampton Roads, and I've been listening for many years going back to Sonny, Sam, and Frank and when the 'Skins were going to Super Bowls. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Sam Huff, but the past couple of years he invariably inspires multiple cringe inducing moments--at least for me--during broadcasts. His confusion over how overtime works was particularly difficult to listen to. Those moments are, again at least for me, really starting to outweigh the lively banter he and Sonny also provide.

Posted by: geoffw2 | September 20, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I love listening to Sam and Sonny and that play by play guy - something Michaels, I think he is George Michael's son or something, or Lorne Michael's or Al Michael's brother. Anyway - Sam is Sam - that's why we like listening. Sonny is always insightful. If they ever retire, I'd love to listen to Jacoby do that analysis or Doc Walker - Jake is no nonsense and Doc can be also. Problem I have is trying to synch up with the satellite broadcast - almost impossible. I think the internet broadcast of ESPN980 has been 7 or more minutes behind the satellite one time. So I have to listen to whatever the network gives us - Brian 'trying to a tough guy' Baldinger, or Troy (I still love the Cowboys) Aikman with his song-song delivery style. Sure wish Brent Musberger was calling the games.

Posted by: bfjam | September 20, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I wonder sometimes if Sam is deliberately playing dumb or if he really is that ignorant about the modern game of football. Regardless of the motivation, it's quite entertaining, especially considering how biased the radio coverage of the games is.

Posted by: Russtinator | September 20, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

He's got McNabb disease. Doesn't know NFL has O/T. Ahhh Huff's such a pleasure to listen too. Sonny is a real HOF'er. Huff is and was a joke when he played. He is one of the most over-rated players in the history of the game. He was credited for all those tackles because his number was always visible on the top of the pile. What a maroon!!!

Posted by: Dog-1 | September 20, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Personally I think Sam Huff should be retired! He has lost all credibility, he seems to have some sort of dementia. I listened to him for a few minutes of the Redskins/Cowboy game and he had absolutely no idea what was going on. I used to like the banter between he and Sonny, but I really think he has lost it and should be replaced! I don't know who would replace him or how it would affect Sonny, but Sam has got to go!

Posted by: wvs9231 | September 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, as you can see from my user name, I'm a huge fan of Sam Huff and the greatest game ever played. Look, the man took on Jim Brown so many times, and frequently won, that you've got to cut him slack. I hear the narrow-shouldered, Larry Michaels, patronize him from time to time, and just have to laugh. Hey Larry, learn to say the word "football". It's not "fooball". Jurgensen and Huff were part of the great 1964 trades that established this team and built the foundation for what the franchise ultimately became. The first consecutive sell-outs at DC Stadium were a direct result of those guys. And they made very little money doing it. We owe them. It's great to still have them there in the booth.

Posted by: Overtime58 | September 20, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Sonny and Sam are dreadful. They both sound senile. Larry Michael is not much better.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | September 20, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I noticed this during pre-season and wondered whether the Redskins have succession plans for Sonny (he is getting old, too) and Sam. Personally, I would not mind losing the entire booth since Larry really is not my cup of tea. However, I cannot see a 100% turnover without the fanbase going insane given how they reacted when Frank Herzog was shown the door. At a minimum I would dump Sam after this season since he offers limited insight and misses most, if not all, of the nuances of the game.

Posted by: TheOneWhoHurtsMost | September 20, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

The Skins broadcast booth is embarrassing. I'm all for tradition, etc., but there comes a time when they just have to make a change. That time is now.

Posted by: swinging4thefence | September 20, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Huff's gaffes and ignorance are what make the broadcasts so entertaining. If you were listening to the first half of yesterday's broadcast, you'll know that he was unfamiliar w/ Andre Johnson. Does he follow the league at all or do any preparation b4 the broadcast? The only players he seems to know are guys like Crazy Legs Hersh, Frank Gifford, Chuck Bednarik and that new kid, Jim Brown.

Posted by: randysbailin | September 20, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Every town has or have had guys like this in the booth. Football, baseball, whatever. It is what makes local coverage colorful and unique. Embrace it as part of the fabric of being a fan. And, know that you will miss them when they're time comes and their replacements will get the "Larry ain't Frank" treatment for years to come.

Posted by: TheDubb | September 20, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I still haven't figured out why Frank was fired or Ron Weber as the Caps play-by-play voice, for that matter.

Posted by: randysbailin | September 20, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree with wvs9321. Living in London, one of my only viable (cheap) choices is to listen to the radio broadcast via the internet. I'm not sure what was more painful last night - losing the game, or listening to Sam.

I love Sam dearly...but he's lost it. Several times, he didn't know the players (even the star players), had to ask what the call was, who had the ball(!) or made some comment and then was proven wrong (or right), claimed he'd never said it. The worst part is, you can hear the frustration in Larry and Sonny's voices - particularly Sonny's. To keep him beyond this season is just hanging him out to dry as a caricature of his former self. Can't they find another role for him?

Posted by: dithylloyd | September 20, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Sam need a big, fluffy armchair and a mic that is NOT turned on. Sonny still has it a litte bit, but Sam is to the point where he doesn't understand the game as well as the casual fan. Time to have a seat, my friend.

Posted by: hoos3014 | September 20, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

You could have easily let this slide, does it give you a thrill to repeat what everyone cringed at when he said it? Turning something like this into an issue reflects poorly on you, Steinberg.

Posted by: Ratzoe | September 20, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Bring in Dibs for relief!

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 20, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that on the Andre Johnson TD catch to tie the game, Sam blurted out something to the effect: 'Intercepted. It was intercepted, wasn't it?' Not exactly stellar reporting there.

Posted by: randysbailin | September 20, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I listened to this live yesterday. Really, it is embarassing-and Sonny isn't much better.

Larry Michael must want to smash his head against the booth glass repeatedly...

Posted by: Flattuca | September 20, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Sam Huff has been an embarrassment for about 10 years now. It's much more sad than funny. Sonny knows the game inside and out. He's basically the only reason I listen to the radio broadcasts. Larry Michael is employed by the team, so you know where he's coming from - no surprise there. That said, if you will remember, back when Frank was removed, Michael was the broadcast executive who made that decision. And then he HIRED HIMSELF to replace Frank. Very, very strange.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | September 20, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

The whole Radio broadcast crew needs a upgrade, some fresh blood. I love sam huff and sunny J, but those guys are just old and are always forgetting players names, the rules, etc.

Posted by: dcsportsfan51 | September 20, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Do NFL players suffer lasting effects from head injuries? Poppycock!

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | September 20, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I like Sam Huff. He seems like a nice old man. But my five year old daughter gives more cogent analysis than he does. As Steinberg pointed out, he doesn’t seem to know basic rules of the NFL. It’s time to put this old dude out to pasture.

Posted by: MongoSlade | September 20, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Well... This is what happens kids when someone like Sam has played for 13 years (espically during the 50's and 60's), you get a few screws knocked loose and have after effects later in life, kind of what transpired last night on the broadcast and for the last several years, which I've always foud very funny and entertaining. Seriously, I admire and respect Sam for his contribution and dedication to the game for all of these years. However, I think it is time for Mr. Huff to step aside and call it a career.

Posted by: EKamenski | September 20, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EKamenski | September 20, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

FUNNIEST LINE OF THE GAME:

IN OT, HUFF SAYS "WE HAVEN'T HEARD THIS GUY'S NAME ALL GAME" AFTER A WALTER CATCH.

SONNY SAYS "THAT'S HIS NINTH CATCH SAM"

Posted by: bal503 | September 20, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ratzoe | September 20, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree.

You want to talk about going downhill how about the Washington Post Sports "coverage." Just seems tacky for a 3rd rate bogger to point something like this out. Just lazy "journalism" and for the Post to give credibility to it just makes you scratch your head and wonder what's changed over there.

Posted by: Eman8 | September 21, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

geoffw2 said it respectfully and kindly. Show respect for Sam and what he's done in the booth for most of his career. But, his friends and family should help him decide that it is time to retire gracefully and receive his due for his many years of bringing pleasure to Redskins fans.

Posted by: mhs101255 | September 21, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

I have always thought listening to Sonny and Sam was like having two old uncles sitting in the living room with me arguing about the game. At some point, it would be good for Sam to retire, and it is sad that he seems to have lost so much. But it will never be the same without them. I still want to vomit when I hear Larry talking. Frank Herzog will always be the voice of the Redskins in my ears.

Posted by: MrDumberton | September 21, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

I always found it confusing that they ran Frank Herzog out of town but kept Sam around. He's endearing in a way, but he really isn't professional. Listen to other teams' broadcasts-- or check out the national broadcast on Sunday and Monday nights. That's how football on the radio is supposed to sound.

Posted by: drischord | September 21, 2010 2:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ratzoe | September 20, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree.

Posted by: Eman8 | September 21, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Whatever, this was entertaining as hell. I knew he was bad from hearing him before but not this bad. It's hard to believe that they still let him call games. Sonny is the only one out of the group that's worth hearing.

Posted by: joeblazin | September 21, 2010 5:57 AM | Report abuse

You couldn't write this stuff! Sam IS comic relief!

Posted by: richs91 | September 21, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah....heard all of that.

I love Sam! Curmudgeon that he now is...For me, all of this is excusable and damn funny at times...

Posted by: arioch666 | September 21, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I experienced a 30 second delay between the tv broadcast and the 980AM radio broadcast. Why is this happening?

Posted by: fitzge | September 21, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

by the way...you should have heard Sam do the games back when he was drinking!

Posted by: arioch666 | September 21, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

by the way...you should have heard Sam do the games back when he was drinking!

Posted by: arioch666 | September 21, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

All these geniuses attacking Sam Huff don't seem to understand that Sam thought the OT rules had changed for the NFL playoffs AND the regular season. That's it. He has never had an issue with understanding the OT rules in the past, but this year the NFL made some changes and he forgot it was simply for the playoffs--and the mistakes in this game's OT were a result of that confusion. End of story.

For those calling the guy "senile" I'm pretty sure there's a nice, warm spot waiting for you in hell.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I wish Frank H would come back into the booth and kick Larry's a$$!

Posted by: dsterp931 | September 21, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Time for Sonny and Sam, just like the rest of the Redskins 'tradition' to be put out to pasture.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | September 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ratzoe | September 20, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree.

Posted by: Eman8 | September 21, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

WHHAAAAAAA!

Posted by: bal503 | September 21, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

huff and jergensen are like the two old coots in the opera booth during episodes of 'the muppetts.' except it's not comic relief. they should both turn in their broadcasting cleats.

Posted by: MMinMd | September 21, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Local radio coverage guys are always homers. Just be careful what you wish for. We could end up listening to Theisman in that job if he could pull his head out of you know where long enough to do it. Sam is a senile old fool, but he is our fool. Doc Walker and Brian Mitchell would be fun in those jobs but they are waaaaay too object for Snyder to hire them. As long as Don Cherry has a job there is hope for senile old fools everywhere.

Posted by: giscone | September 21, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dan I usually love your posts, but this one is a cheap shot.

Posted by: Hobbes3 | September 21, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think I'd rather listen to Dibble call Redskins games than those 3 morons that are currently filling the booth. They are HORRIBLE. Larry's the consumate shill (notice I said "shill", not "homer"); Sam is absurdly senile, and Sonny is, well...Sonny.

Posted by: RCBJr | September 21, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I think all 3 of them are horrible and have been for years.. Bring Frank back!

Posted by: darrylrbaker | September 21, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I was watching TV for the OT but listening to them in the 4Q was embarrassing. There was one play where one of them said "He's in!" -- err no, he wasn't. The ref & boundary calls are the funniest. They project what they WANT to see, not what's actually taking place...

Posted by: StikeDC1 | September 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse