The Wizards go to red, white and blue

(AP archives)

This has been a remarkable day for D.C. sports news. HBO climbed into bed with the Capitals, bringing along all its cameras and stuff. Stan Kasten resigned. And Ernie Grunfeld announced the Wizards would go back to red, white and blue a year from now.

That's three fairly groundbreaking stories involving three D.C. pro sports teams, none of which are named the Redskins. I can't do much more than include these pictures for right now, and a word of praise. I'll use the word "Huzzah." You can choose your own. I just know the more red white and blue tube socks are in my future, the better.

(In May, Ted Leonsis said "I probably will like red colors more than the teal blue that they have." And in June, he said "It's not a secret that I am partial to red.")

(After the change, D.C. will have three red-white-and-blue teams: the Wizards, Caps and Nats. The Redskins and D.C. United are doing their own thing, color-wise, though United does have the red. And I guess "red" is in "Redskins.")

By Dan Steinberg  | September 23, 2010; 5:12 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniel Snyder co-stars with Alyssa Milano in NFL ad
Next: Hard Hits Live webcast: LaVar Arrington on the Redskins

Comments

Bullets Fever!!!!

Is that top pic Charles Jones? Barkley came along later, so I don't think it is Charles Davis.

Posted by: MikeNelmsReturns | September 23, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I know that the league pretty much states that they need to do things a year in advance, but this works nicely for Ted. He gets to sell lots of teal Wall stuff - then lots more red/white/blue Wall stuff next season.

So thinking about it, kind of cool that he's clear about it now. Gives the old school fans something to look forward to and the Wall kids fair warning that the gear will be outdated next season.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Freedom are also red-white-and-blue, with navy home kits and red and white away kits.

Posted by: JDougan_DC | September 23, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

That's definitely Charles Jones up top. I loved CJ!!

Great move, should have happened sooner.

Posted by: mcasady | September 23, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

It's fair to say that Red is the DC sports color now. As it should be and as it was. The curse of teal and black BS is over!

Redskins
Rednats
Redcaps
Redwiz

actually if you have Redwiz seek medical care.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

So what do people want to see now? I wouldn't mind if you took the design from those Gold and black uniforms and worked in Red white and blue. I don't see the team going to a uniform like the Bullets, but some parallels would be nice, the 3 stars, 2 tone uniform as opposed to monochrome.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Ted: While you're at it. Drop the goofy Wizards name and go back to Bullets. Screw the P.C. police.

Posted by: rg019571 | September 24, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

It was STUPID to change the team name and colors to begin with. Anyone who would think that a Basketball team's name had a connection with a city's gun violence had to have been on crack themselves. It was a typical political knee-jerk reaction that didnt have to happen. Might as well change the name back also because the Wiz haven't worked any damn magic as of late, and the name change sure didnt stop the rampant and horrfic gun violence in and around DC that still happens regularly.

Posted by: usc932000 | September 24, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

So what do people want to see now?[...]
Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2010 8:45 AM

-----

What I WANT to see is for the team to be called the Bullets again.

Posted by: Goat_74 | September 24, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

and then they should officially change the team name to "Les Boulez"

Posted by: Durham2 | September 24, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

"It's not a secret that I am partial to red."

friggin commie bastard

Posted by: rev_ollie | September 24, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

go bullets

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 24, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GAU8A | September 24, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Good! I'm glad they changed the color. Now, if the Redskins could change the most offensive nickname in all of sports.

Posted by: jbworldwide | September 24, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Change the name back too while you are at it; Pollin's PC pandering was part of what made him the nicest yet the worst owner since Leon Hess.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | September 24, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@usc932000

I believe Abe changed the name because of Yitzhak Rabin's assassination in '95, not because of DC gun violence.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | September 24, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Doing the right thing.

Return to the roots of the organization that went to 3 NBA Finals in its first 6 years in Washington in the 1970's.

Should change the name back to Bullets.

While Pollin's heart was in the right place, there is no correlation between the NBA team's name (for a train!) and juvenile violence.

In fact the only violent incident involving the team occurred last year when the name was Wizards.

I don't like 'Wizards'. It means nothing to Washington.

Just like the Raptors. Name makes no sense.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | September 24, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

This doesn't mean jack if we aren't the Bullets again.... I'm a freaking Washington Bullets fan, not a damn Washington Wizards fan.

Screw political correctness.

Posted by: mtorioles | September 24, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

great post by alex35332 .... humor is always the best, and medical humor is always better.......

Posted by: dah1963 | September 24, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Love seeing the pick of ol' CJ. Glad he got his championship ring in Houston at the end of his career.

Btw Dan, do we know why the Wizards say "Bullets" are bad and kill people, yet they regularly where Bullets throw back gear and sell/profit off that gear? Not that I mind, I just want the Bullets name back (bur realize Mr. Arenas probably ended our chances).

Posted by: ALX74 | September 24, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

GAU8A said:
"Change the Nats name too. Work with the Houston Astros to get the Senators name back."

Massive FAIL!

Speak not of which you know nothing.

Posted by: jeadpt | September 24, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Good. now change the name to the Ballers or somethings

Posted by: lostdogrwd101 | September 24, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

What were the five choices when they changes the name? I remember Wizards and Dragons, because Wilbon said they were both related to the KKK. Wasn't there a River Dogs or something? Was The Washington Justice one of the ones considered, or just a name some were suggesting?

I still have an old Bullets hat that I wear, but I would be open to a new name that tied into DC more. How about the Metropolitans? Or maybe something political, like The Deficit? That would be cool. The Washington Ethics Probes? Lots of marketing possibilities there. How about The Washington Establishment? We could change the arena nickname to "The Swamp"

Posted by: MrDumberton | September 24, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I hope that do not stop with just the colors of the team and change the name as well! Wizards is just plain stupid and silly.

Posted by: mikealexdc | September 24, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Good start. Now change the stupid team name back to Bullets!

Posted by: jimd3 | September 24, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards should change their name to the Justice. The Mystics should change their name to the Power. They should forever have Red, White and Blue. Give me Justice and Power!!!

Posted by: MrWillie | September 24, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrDumberton | September 24, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I think it was Sea-Dogs and River Rats or something.

Justice would have been a good name.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

The new Wizards logo....

Posted by: MrWillie | September 24, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Happy about the color change, and like everybody else want to go back to the bullets, or anything but wizards. I'm still trying to figure out how in the world they come up with the wizards or what it has to do with this area and not to mention those colors... what a disaster.

Posted by: Eman8 | September 24, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrWillie | September 24, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

How about the Mystics change to the Truth, and then we have Truth n Justice.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The new Wizards logo....

Posted by: MrWillie

Perfect!

Posted by: richs91 | September 24, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

YES!!!! This made my day.

And yes that is Charles Jones, "The Secret Weapon"!!!

Posted by: tischmid | September 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

wouldn't a new logo with the bullies rip be more sensible "i" in wizards was where the ball and hands went?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

It's about time the Wizards finally did something smart. their uniforms as of late were awful!!!

Posted by: mrcox54 | September 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I grew up watching the Bullets. This team will always be the Bullets. I remember when the Bullets went to the finals 2 years in a row. I remember the championship. Never in my lifetime but they did. In 1997, when the Pollins decided to change the nickname to the Wizards, part of my childhood vanished. I miss Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld. These two were my idols. I don't own anything with the Wizards name but I do go to the games. I hope Ted Leonsis will change the nickname. The uniforms need to be changed as well. I see other NBA teams with hip uniforms. The Wizards uniforms are boring. BRING BACK THE BULLETS NAME!!!!.

Posted by: seisen1 | September 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

American University Eagles. RED, WHITE and BLUE as well !

Posted by: Hoops44 | September 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is thank goodness, teal and black were some sorry colors. I'm in agreement with everyone else here change the name back to the bullets, PLEASE. Wizards sounds like something you would name a little league team.

Posted by: aviator3 | September 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

A year from now.

A year from now.

A year from now.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted by: richs91 | September 24, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

It's about time they made a change. I never liked the current color scheme. I also never liked the "Wizards" nickname at all.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Leonsis and his new uniforms are nothing but an ego trip, since Teddy has made known that his favorite color is red. Let's see him take some real action that the fans want and that is to change the name back to Bullets. Pollin was addled when he made that name change. But Leonsis doesn't have the stones to do it. Prove me wrong, Teddy............

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 24, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig. Change the sorry coach and the sorry general manager. Then we might have something. Who cares about the name or the colors if they continue to lose? Bullets is no better than Wizards when you only win 25 games.

Posted by: sonny2 | September 24, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

please Ted - lets be the bullets again.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbworldwide | September 24, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Offensive to who? Certainly not offensive to the overwhelming majority of Native Americans, who according to the polls on this issue aren't the least bit offended by the team name Redskins.

90% of Native Americans, according to an Annenberg Public Policy Center survey, responded that the Redskins team name does not bother them. According to a Sports Illustrated study, more than 75% of Native Americans responded that the team name does not offend them.

But of course, there are plenty of very strange people out there--people like you--who are offended on behalf of Native Americans. It must be very frustrating to you that they aren't offended by the Redskins name while you are.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 24, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

GAU8A said:

Massive FAIL!

Speak not of which you know nothing.

Posted by: jeadpt | September 24, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

My bad, I believe it's the Texas Rangers, not Houston, who actually own the rights to the Senators name (from when they used to be the Washington Senators here in the '60s and played at 'ol RFK).

Posted by: GAU8A | September 24, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Barno, I love that you stand up for Gilbert, but I 100% disagree with the above post. You don't have to be a particular race to be offended by racism. And the name of the football team is absurdly racist. I was born a fan of the team, but I don't tell people because it's so embarassing. If I could suddenly like a different team, I would - but I simply can't, because it's so engrained in my blood with memories of the Billy-Sonny debate from when I was 5, and everything since. But it's a horrible name. Your stats are absolute crap and completely immaterial. And it is honestly incredibly embarassing and I don't say it out loud. I say "the Washington football team." And your last paragraph is just ignorant. That's not how it works. (But I'm with you on Gil, and the haters need to drop that bunk.)

Posted by: Urnesto | September 24, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Your stats are absolute crap and completely immaterial.

Posted by: Urnesto | September 24, 2010 4:04 PM

Please explain to me exactly how the polls by non-biased entities such as the Annenberg Public Policy Center and Sports Illustrated are "absolute crap." Do you have any evidence whatsoever that these polls were not accurate?

There is nothing racist whatsoever with the team name Redskins. Nothing. It's utter lunacy to claim the team name is racist when Native Americans themselves are overwhelming NOT offended by it. We are talking about 90% of Native Americans that aren't bothered by the term...that figure alone should give you some pause.

I have some sincere advice for you and the thousands, if not millions, of other Americans that wake up every morning looking for reasons to be offended:

Stop trying to tell people what is racist. Stop telling people they should be offended by something. Society already has enough REAL racism and our culture already has plenty of LEGITIMATE reasons to be offended. We don't need phony, invented excuses for us to feign outrage.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 24, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Urnesto: find another team. The Redskins don't need your ilk as a fan. Really.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 24, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Teal is the color of shame and squirreliness. Look it up.

Posted by: arn3z | September 24, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Poguesmahone: find deez nutz. Don't tell me what team to like; it's my childhood team. Really.

Barno-- I appreciate your more even-keeled response. But I don't think it's made up racism at all. I'm not telling anybody what to do (except poguesmahone; see above). It completely offends me and is totally embarassing to say out loud to non-football fans. Who cares what Native Americans said to a pollster? It's literally the definition of racism. It's impossible to be more racist and still get printed in the paper. I don't remotely look for reasons to be offended; I say non-PC stuff all the time. I am not offended even. I'm embarassed and annoyed and ashamed. It's a ludicrous name, and not changing shows Daniel Snyder's hubris more than any helicopter. On day one, when he said he wouldn't change the name, it was clear to me right then that Snyder was pretty much a loser.

Posted by: Urnesto | September 24, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with a color change, but leery of a name change.

Ted indicated he won't go back to the Bullets out of respect for Abe Pollin and his family.

But the recent name change of his ownership group (Monumental Sports and Entertainment) suggests I might find myself rooting for the Washington Monuments basketball team.

And I for one would feel pretty stupid about that.

Posted by: doclinkin | September 25, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Though I do like the white star on red background thing. A shout out to the DC flag. If inverted.

Posted by: doclinkin | September 25, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

"Who cares what Native Americans said to a pollster?"

Urnesto, you just lost the debate (not that it was much of a debate to begin with, considering all of the facts are stacked against you). Lets get this straight: you are saying that it doesn't matter if Native Americans are not offended by the term Redskins, that it's still a racist term nonetheless? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

To compare the word "Redskins" to the N-word--which is universally accepted as a racist term if used by someone who is not black--or any other accepted racial epithet is beyond ludicrous.

I suggest you do some homework on this issue Urnesto--you clearly haven't yet--and learn about how the "controversy" over the team name actually began. You'll find that the campaign to change the name was started by a woman named Suzan Harjo, who has made a career off of direct mail solicitations in which she claims the Redskins team name is offensive. She took the NFL to court over the team name 'Redskins'--and has lost repeatedly.

But to understand just how full of crap this woman is, one need only look at the name of the tv show she once produced. Mrs. Harjo was the producer of a Native American radio show called “Seeing Red.” This referred to the skin color of her audience. So it's okay for her to use Native American's 'red' skin for the name of her show, but not okay for a sports team.

There is a reason this woman has lost time and time again in her persuit to change the Redskins team name: because it is not an offensive term. She is doing this for the money and fame and nothing else. Unfortunately, a lot of well intentioned folks got caught up in the debate and were fooled into believing Native Americans were truly outraged by the name, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth (according to every major poll on the subject).

Posted by: Barno1 | September 25, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Leave the Redskins out of it. Offensive or not, the Danny will only change the name when he needs the money he will get from long-time fans buying new stuff. Ted is another story. The ship might have sailed on "Bullets", and the team was dead last in merchandise sales when that was the name. I was partial to Justice when the name was changed before (no, it was not one of the choices - all the choices were lame). If not that, there must be something with some kind of local significance that is better than "Wizards". Preferably not to do with the Federal Government as I think there is a lot more to the area than that.

Posted by: didnik | September 26, 2010 4:04 AM | Report abuse

I got an idea for the Wizards new name that I'm pretty sure would meet Barno's approval.

We could call 'em the Washington Darkies.

We could get some old chinese guy to dress up in a traditional Black Folk costume, and show him on the Jumbotron when ever we need a reaction shot from the crowd.

I mean you know, we're just referring to skin color here, it's not like we're using the N-word...

No getting around the fact that 'Redskins' is a racial slur. No matter how much you've paid a pollster to cook the data. If you walk around the Mall during the Native American folklife festival, or ask participants at any powwow they'll tell you they're disgusted by it, but that there's too much money involved to expect it to ever change.

That said, I would buy the gear if we changed the name to the Washington Rednecks. A mullet-cut guy in a meshback cap with a plug of chew as the logo... Come on, that's hilarious.

Posted by: doclinkin | September 26, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse