Warren Sapp breaks down Bruce Allen's role

Warren Sapp may never have worked for Bruce Allen, but they made two identical career stops, in Tampa and Oakland. Plus, Sapp has no shortage of opinions. So when he was on with my co-worker LaVar Arrington this week, Sapp didn't shy away from the Bruce Allen question.

"You know, Bruce Allen is not a mover and shaker," Sapp said. "Bruce Allen is [there to] play golf, go to the corporate meetings, talk about the old times with his father, rally up the suite holders. Somebody else is actually making the personnel decisions....That's my take on it. That's the Bruce Allen I know."

Sapp was similarly quotable when asked about the Redskins' prospects this season.

"They've got to be able to solidify this offensive line, move people off the ball, get Clinton Portis running, because CP's in the best shape I've seen him in a long time," Sapp said. "He loves when you bring B and C running backs around him, so he can show you what an A is. Let Clinton do his thing, and then Donovan will handle everything else. I mean, he drove a Pinto for all those years in Philadelphia, he's just driving a Gremlin now."

(Speaking of Portis, I rather liked Santana Moss's quote about the running back, when CSN's Kelli Johnson asked if he's changed:

"It's hard to say no and it's hard to say yeah," Moss said. "With Portis, he's a guy that he takes pride in being Portis. He's gonna do the things that makes Portis happy, whether y'all like it or not, he really don't care. One thing I try to tell him,, which I know he don't listen [to], sometimes slow it down. Because we know at the end of the day, you're gonna go out there and play ball."

Even Portis doesn't use "Portis" that much in his interviews.)

And Sapp also had strong words for Albert Haynesworth, whom he's often criticized this offseason. The spur here was the notion that Haynesworth wants to be like Reggie White.

"You have to understand what you're talking about," Sapp said. "You want to say you want to be the next Ted Washington, that's fine, that's 3 or 4 Pro Bowls, something like that. But when you're talking about the Minister of Defense, I mean, let's reason what you're talking about son. You're talking about climbing Mount Everest without any oxygen, without a guide and no tools. Get out of my face....If you put Albert Haynesworth's tape on, you want to turn it off immediately. Man, c'mon, with that jumping on the side with the arm rip, and then the man running and you don't even know where the ball at, got your head down? C'mon, man."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 3, 2010; 12:29 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins announce Dallas Week festivities
Next: Redskins market Ring of Fame merchandise

Comments

not sure what sapps MO is or his relationship is with allen, but, i think allens doing a hell-of-ah-job. i'm happy hes back with the organization and hope he keeps it up. WE WANT DALLAS!!! HTTR!!

Posted by: cboyhater | September 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"That's the Bruce Allen I know" -Warren Sapp

This is the same Bruce Allen that Warren Sapp has NEVER spoken to. Not once. Oh yes, that was another tidbit in the interview. According to Sapp, he once tried to call Bruce Allen but his phone call was never returned. Not like he has held a grudge about that though.

One thing I really hate is when people say stuff about a person that they don't really believe...they just say it out of spite. Well, I have a pretty hard time believing Warren Sapp seriously believes Bruce Allen doesn't make any personnel decisions. I mean, that is so totally absurd...but Arrington and the world's biggest loser--Chad Dukes--were too busy kissing Sapp's but to challenge him on his crazy comments.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan is in charge of the personnel. Thanks for coming out Sapp.

Posted by: BillyBeane | September 3, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

It was well known that Bruce Allen was more of a negotiator than personnel guy when he came here. I mean, that's common knowledge. So Sapp isn't really saying anything we don't know. And Barno is whining because, well because he's Barno and that is what Barno does. Allen serves a purpose for Snyder, which is being a good face man for the organization.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

*butt

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Where's that broadcast booth, Tempe?

Posted by: nepetro | September 3, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Interesting since we've been led to beleive that Allen is a super genius that will restore the Redskins to their glory days. I'm sure Snyder hired the right guy -- just look at his record of hiring. LOL.

Posted by: dbunkr | September 3, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Sapp is a blowhard. I cannot believe he actually got a job as an analyst. I have trouble even watching him, let alone listening to him.

Posted by: AsstGM | September 3, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"That's the Bruce Allen I know" -Warren Sapp

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 1:03 PM
=================================

You've never met Obama and have never had a conversation with him, but I'll bet you have a strong opinion of him (be it positive or negative).

Warren Sapp's opinion on Bruce Allen is likely to be based on what he's seen and heard about Allen as an NFL player and commentator.

It was the consensus opinion of most columnist that Bruce Allen was brought here to make the salary cap work why would Shannahan agree to have a GM come in here and tell him who he can and can't go after? He made his own personnel decisions in Denver.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 3, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"It was well known that Bruce Allen was more of a negotiator than personnel guy when he came here. I mean, that's common knowledge. So Sapp isn't really saying anything we don't know"

Poguesmahone,

Dude, you really are an idiot. Sapp isn't saying anything we don't know? Ok, so you're saying that someone who has won the NFL Executive of the Year and was just hired as GM here doesn't make any personnel decisions, is just here to play golf, go to the corporate meetings, talk about the old times with his father, and rally up the suite holders?

Hahaha, yeah...and I'm sure his teams have won 5 division titles in the last 8 years he has been a GM all because someone else was making the personnel decisions. I guess the NFL just hands out "Executive of the Year" awards to the GM who is least involved with actual GM duties, right?

Hah

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 3, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Professor,

You totally misunderstood my comment. My point was that Sapp wanted to talk to Bruce Allen, called him, but never got a return call and has never spoken to him since--and clearly has a grudge about it since he felt the need to bring that up.

Of course you can have an opinion about someone without knowing them...

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I believe the skins hired Morocco Brown a couple season ago. He's probably doing the GM work while Allen does all the face time.

Posted by: isonic1 | September 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Dan Steinberg,

Did Arrington and Sapp talk about the time when Sapp was going to run through the stretch line when he played against the Skins and Arrington? I remember they went back and forth in the media and he called Arrington "Mr. Can't Get Right" and said something to the effect of "tell him don't go looking for me, cause I'm easy to find".

Those were two of the funniest quotes ever.

Posted by: bubbad | September 3, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think what Sapp said was too bombastic (though funny), but probably more correct than we know about Allen. Allen admittedly is not involved in personnel outside of contract negotiations. I am sure he provides opinion and insight, but ultimately Ol' Leatherface is making all the calls.

And nobody would deny Allen has become the corporate face of the organization. He is likable and nostalgic, something Danny isn't and desperately needs. Club seats are selling about as good as one-bedroom condo's right now

Posted by: jpfterps | September 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Um, Allen and Sapp coincided over 1 offseason in Tampa - the season Sapp was released by the Bucs.

Common knowledge in Tampa was that Gruden made that decision, not Allen. Allen simply executed what Gruden wanted in that team and that is the similar structure here in DC, Allen is nothing more than a yes man for the headcoach. That is why if Gruden had come here, he wanted Allen as his GM.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | September 3, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

He raises some good points on personnel. I don't think he has a clue on Allen though. The Pinto/Gremlin comment was classic, I hope he's wrong though.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know where all you people get your information, it seems like all of you must be NFL or ex-NFL exec.,players or coaches.Pure speculation and let that fat a$$ sapp run his mouth, he still is a nobody and really why care what he thinks.

Posted by: caps67 | September 3, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Amen caps67. To affirmatively say that Allen isn't making personnel decisions is simply dishonest. You don't know that and that information has never been made public. Of course head coaches are heavily involved in making the cuts down to the 53 man roster, and Shannahan may very well have the last say--but that is not to say Allen "doesn't make personnel decisions. The statement itself is so absurd I can't even believe we are having this debate.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | September 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse
---------

I hope so too. This offense should be like a finely tuned Datsun B210 at the least.

Posted by: walkdwalk | September 3, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I agree that it's hard to say BA has no input on personnel decisions. However, it's also hard to argue the Al Davis has ever given up absolute roster control to anyone in Oakland.

I frankly couldn't care less who makes the personnel decisions as long as it's not the person(s)? who were in charge for at least the past 2 years (see "a draft class best forgotten"). As long as there are better talent evaluators, whether "general manager",head coach, or in combination, this team can only improve. Not every teams needs an AJ Smith, dictatorial style general manager (and I'm pretty sure that will never ever ever never ever never happen here as long as Danny owns the team).

Posted by: jbanks979 | September 3, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"This is the same Bruce Allen that Warren Sapp has NEVER spoken to."

One thing I really hate is when people say stuff about a person that they don't know"

What an idiot this fake asse Barno is.

Posted by: OG_Barno | September 3, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Its been widely reported that when BA was in Oakland, he wasnt even in the warroom on draft days.

Posted by: Giantsfan1 | September 3, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Giantsfan1 | September 3, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I am confused - is a Gremlin an upgrade over a Pinto (assume 1979 - an ugly year in many ways)? Certainly both would be upgrades over Chevettes, though perhaps be downgrades from AMC Pacers. Neither near the B210s (I remember seeing some of those around in the early 1990s - they just would not die). I had a 1976 Chevette which had an innovative "Illegal Substances Storage System" for a teenager pulled over by cops - a hole (covered by a piece of wood) under the passenger side floorboard. every Chevette came with this feature which kept me out of serious trouble on numerous occasions (just lift the wood, drop the beer, and remember to pick it up before you move the car). One time I forgot the last part and had to back the car up a few feet to retrieve my goodies with the police car behind me....ahh I miss the early 80s.

funny, I would have seriously traded up for a Pinto, Gremlin or Pacer with AC and an FM radio...

Did like Sapp's take on Portis. I think he is right on Portis' motivation this year.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 3, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

jbanks nailed it - no matter what is said about BA, no Skins fan wants to see him ousted for the return of Vinnie. He is a serious upgrade in all respects.

He also strikes me as a person who does not go after credit - does his job well and does not thump his chest (shanny does NOT fit this description). Like his trades thus far in terms of value.

Need to see results on the field in terms of wins. Still skeptical of a major turnaround, but expect improvement over last season. My predicition remains 7-9.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 3, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Barno: do you know the meaning of the word "blowhard"? Allen is not a personnel guy. Never has been. This is Shanahan's show. Wake up, moron...............

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sapp is an appropriate name for Ol' Warren. Say what you will about Bruce Allen and maybe hiring him was a little nostalgic but I think any Redskin fan would take him over Vinny Cerrato. Cerrato has done long term harm to the franchise with his imcompetent picks over a number of years (see the Post's recent article about the 2008 draft). If anyone paid attention this pre season you saw the Bruce Allen difference as little know players Allen acquired like Brandon Banks and Perry Riley excelled.. Allen still has a tough job getting the Redskins younger and faster after years of damage inflicted by the boneheaded yes man Vinny Cerrato. Sapp? He is a fat blowhard who doesnt belong on television.

Posted by: wthaljr | September 3, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Pogues, if you truly believe a general manager that has won the NFL Executive of the Year award does not make ANY personnel decisions, then there is nothing I can do to help you....You're too far lost, there's no coming back. Sorry, but you're detached from reality bro.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Barno: stop with the semantics. The issue is whether Bruce Allen is the primary personnel guy for the Redskins. He isn't. Shanahan is. Stop with the nonsense about whether he makes any personnel decisions. That's not the issue.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 3, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

"that is the Bruce Allen I know"
Well since he does not know Bruce Allen at all, then we can deduct his opinion amounts to zilch.
The marketing department of the NFL and of the media that cover it deserve kudos for finding what morons want - an idiot that speak their language as an analyst. Does anyone really believe this guy ever attended a college class?

Posted by: hock1 | September 3, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse