Anthony Armstrong's sock fine

(By Jim McIsaac - Getty)

Last weekend, Anthony Armstrong achieved dual professional milestones.

"Sunday will always be special to me: First NFL touchdown AND first NFL fine! Ouch!" Armstrong wrote on Twitter. "They said u had too much white, but I pulled em down and I played like that in Philly."

This meant I could take a break from writing about football pants in favor of writing about something completely different: football socks!

Essentially, Armstrong's white socks were pulled up too high, leaving not enough burgundy visible. He apparently pulled the white socks down in the middle of the game, as seen below; this image from the Eagles game approximates how much white was shown at the beginning of the Packers game.

"I made sure I pulled them down when we were back in [the locker room] right before the game started," Armstrong told a crowd of reporters on Wednesday. "Nobody ever told me that they were still [too] high, so I kept on playing."

He said the offending socks were at "mid-calf," but he was still hit with a fine, which he said he'd appeal. Matt Terl wisely asked how one goes about appealing a sock fine.

"I don't know," Armstrong admitted. "I'm gonna tell them that I wore it in previous weeks, and I pulled them down and nobody informed me the second time that they were still too high. They were supposed to inform me again, and I never got a second [notice]."

He said the fines would be deducted straight from his paycheck, so he won't have to write out a check to Roger Goodell. He also acknowledged that his touchdown probably helped both him and his socks get noticed, but he said "they're watching the wrong stuff."

"Still, I want my money back," Armstrong said, and all of this was in a joking fashion, if you can't tell. "We're gonna appeal it, and hopefully I get my money back. Mr. Goodell, please give me my money back. Thank you."

(Armstrong also addressed his rise from minor leaguer to unknown practice squader to no. 2 offensive option.

"I can't say I'm surprised, because it's kind of what I've been striving to do," he said. "I feel like I've worked hard, and I knew that if I kept working hard and making plays, things would come my way. I'm just taking it in stride, not really forcing anything, just letting it happen. It feels great, it feels great to show that hard work does pay off, and [that] being dedicated and persevering and all that stuff really does work.")

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

By Dan Steinberg  | October 13, 2010; 4:32 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan and the gold pants
Next: The Redskins and rainy practices

Comments

Seriously NFL? Socks? This is your priority? I don't need to list the far more significant transgressions going on around the league herein... But this is really pathetic.

And, for my $0.02, the "offending socks" pic looks more like how socks should (or at least traditionally) look in the first place.

We got murderers and rapists in this league... let's worry about THAT.

Posted by: Furious_Frank | October 13, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

This is quite the stupid fine. There are about 1000000 other incidents that would require a fine I think before this one. His socks look fine to me.

Posted by: Thundershock | October 13, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

They should fine the Redskins for not wearing yellow pants!

Posted by: jwoodmansee | October 13, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm GLAD!!

His socks have been driving me CRAZY the last two games.

Like, on that touchdown he scored against Green Bay... I was like, "yeah, nice catch. Way to go up and get it, but WHAT THE HECK is the guy doing with his SOCKS?!?!"

I mean, talk about a Redskin receiver who needs to start being more PROFESSIONAL!

And we cut Devin Thomas. A guy whose socks were always PERFECT!

WTF!

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 14, 2010 5:43 AM | Report abuse

If the league doesn't want players wearing their sock high like that, then take away all the high socks.

Armstrong's socks look right in that picture, and wrong in that picture where they are low.

Now I get the fines for when Sean Taylor and Portis wore the stripped socks. But if the white sox are part of the uniform and made to go up to mid calf, shouldn't that be the proper way to wear them?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Hay richard opps I mean Commisioner if this young man was white would you be interested ? Why don't you get a life and call Farve !

Posted by: terryreece | October 14, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: terryreece | October 14, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm GLAD!!

His socks have been driving me CRAZY the last two games.

And we cut Devin Thomas. A guy whose socks were always PERFECT!

WTF!

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 14, 2010 5:43 AM | Report abuse

lulz

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 14, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm GLAD!!

His socks have been driving me CRAZY the last two games.

And we cut Devin Thomas. A guy whose socks were always PERFECT!

WTF!

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 14, 2010 5:43 AM | Report abuse

lulz

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 14, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

They should fine the Redskins for not wearing yellow pants!

Posted by: jwoodmansee | October 13, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Get out of here Dallas fan. Every Skins fan knows the pants are GOLD, not YELLOW. You just profiled yourself right out of here.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

WHOA WHOA WHOA. terryreece this has about as much to do with race as the Lebron issue..ZIPPY. The fine is stupid but come on, lets leave race card out of this.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88
~~~
I agree with you...to a point.
But let me see if I can fully flesh out why terryreece would write that.

When blacks see or hear about the fines for petty things that relate to being demonstrative or showy or flashy, it CAN read as a subtle attack on blackness, doesn't mean that it SHOULD be interpreted like that, though.
To many white football fans the anti-celebration rules and petty sock rules are just that-anti-celebration and petty sock rules.
To many black fans the same rules read as anti-BLACK celebration rules and petty sock rules to catch the Sean Taylors and Portisis of the world. Simply stated, some black fans read more into why certain rules and fines are enacted than some white fans.
To many, though obviously not all, black football fans, the anti-celebration rules are a symbolic of something grander & more sinister-the elimination of anything "black" out of the sports folklore,because after all, football's main show-offs lately, are black players particularly wide-receivers(that's what you get when you liberalize passing rules while hamstringing defensive backs-the preening wide-receiver).
So terryreece may have said it awkwardly, but he didn't mean to start a racial bonfire, IMO.

Oh yeah, to terryreece remember...
Peyton Manning, a white player was threatened with a fine, if he wore black hi-tops in honor of the great Johnny Unitas which is even MORE petty than A.Armstrong's fine! and the NFL penalized two white players Jason Witten and Mark Columbo for a rather innocent touchdown celebration so remember that.
...and terryreece...
I must point out that one of the players who kicked off this new demonstrativeness was in fact, a white player Mark Gastineau.

It's not necessarily an attack on black players, but yet another example of how over the top Roger Goodell's NFL is with respect to punk-ass rules and fines. To me the enemy is Roger Goodell not whites in general.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | October 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

How about fining players whose hair is so long that it covers up their names on the backs of tehir jersies? Or players who have the dreaded 'Dunlaps Disease' where their gut overhangs cause their jersies to not be properly tucked into their pants.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | October 14, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse