Carlos Rogers got his eyes checked?

Last week, Carlos Rogers was bombarded with questions about dropped interceptions. Some of it was awkward.

On Sunday, though, the Redskins won, the defense shined, DeAngelo Hall had 17 interceptions, and everyone was feeling good. So the Rogers inquisition went from awkward to humorous, and it was finally the appropriate time for the eye-exam question.

Now, fans have been speculating for months if not years that Rogers needs to see an eye doctor. I regularly get impassioned messages about this. Even Mike Shanahan said Rogers needs to start catching with his eyes. At long last, Brian Mitchell decided to ask Rogers about his vision.

"I made a comment a few weeks ago about you might need to get your eyes checked, and people think I was joking," Mitchell told Rogers during Comcast SportsNet's post-game show. "I said that because there was a guy when I played football in college, he never caught the ball, but when he got his eyes checked he begin to catch everything....Do you ever think about something like that?"

"Oh, I have," Rogers said. "There's no problem with those."

Ok, fanatical e-mailers. Next theory. Anti-pigskin finger poison, perhaps?

"Sometimes I'm in a position where this year especially, that nickel, once I get myself in position, that ball comes on me quick," Rogers continued. "Some people can catch that flash and some people can't. With me, I'm just gonna continue to play, continue to work, and hopefully they'll come around."

The hijinks weren't over, though, as Trevor Matich then held up two fingers and asked Rogers to identify the number, as seen above. Rogers laughed. These are things you can't do after a loss. Matich then asked Rogers how to improve his hands, since the eye exam obviously is out.

"Just continue to catch passes," Rogers said. "I did the Jugs machine, and I'm really not a Jugs machine guy, because the ball, it comes in one position. And you can continue to catch all day Jugs machine, Jugs machine. I do drills that continue to get me moving, when I'm in my backpedal, breaking right, left, whether I got my back turned and I've got a cornerback telling me when to turn around and I'm just catching that flash, working with Donovan, working with Beck. I'll continue to work, just stuff that people don't see."

Anyhow, the point is, Carlos Rogers is a great cover corner. He will never be a DeAngelo Hall, and he knows this.

"I've been hearing the talk about my hands since, what, '05, '06?" he told CSN. "It don't bother me. That's for other people. Like I tell people, when you continue to say that, it's kind of wasting your time talking to me, 'cause my whole thing is to make sure I'm locking that man down, not getting passes on me. But D. Hall, he's a playmaker. Once that ball get around him, he's gonna make plays."

By Dan Steinberg  | October 26, 2010; 10:05 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall responds to Troy Aikman's critique
Next: Portis says he and Arenas just need to win

Comments

So B.Mitch tried to give him a subtle hint.. he didn't catch that either.

Posted by: iubiquity | October 26, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

It worked for Ricky Vaughn

Posted by: goose33 | October 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

HAHAHA Goose33! You're right! It did work for Vaughn!

Posted by: skyscraper48 | October 26, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I love BMitch. But, that was a low class approach to try to help Carlos Rodgers. It was masked as a concern, but you don't call a guy out on TV in that way let alone on live TV. That should have been done privately if they really wanted to help. Fortunately, Carlos handled it with class. So, no harm was done. But I expect better of BMitch and Trevor.
By the way, the Orioles Boog Powell got out of a slump back in the 70's by either getting glasses or changing the prescription on his existing glasses. I remember this although the details I obviously am not sure of.

Posted by: MDterpfan | October 26, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

MDterpfan I respectfully disagree. BMitch is a former ball player basically voiced what many of us thought and simply repeated what he has said on the air in the past. Now if he had said "man are you blind?" that, in my opinion, would be low class.

Posted by: clwalker1906 | October 26, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Earth to Carlos, if you want you're damn giant payday, you should do whatever it takes to fix up your damn catching problem.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | October 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's NOT suggest anything to a guy who can't catch for fear his feelings get hurt...riiiight

His not catching hurts this team and has for YEARS now. The LEAST BMitch could have done was suggest he get his damn eyes checked. He need a damn hands transplant...

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Earth to slurpeesarecool: what part of the post are you reading where it says Rogers isn't trying to get better?

Posted by: rfe18 | October 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

For the love of God..... cheat.
Put some stick um on your gloves.

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | October 26, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if an eye test is part of the physical at training camp? I don't mean simply checking for glaucoma, pupil sensitivity to light and so on. Rather,a comprehensive athletic oriented set of tests to determine visual acuity at near and far distances, refraction and field tests.

When Rogers was asked by Mitchell if he had undergone testing, I sure hope Rogers had been tested thoroughly. I'd expect the same from all players, it's not just a matter of performance but safety as well.

Anyone familiar with how the NFL tests in this manner, or if they do at all as part of the physical?

Posted by: JimGoldbloomVA | October 26, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone noticed on the close-ups of CR22s easy drop against the Colts. His eyes weren't anywhere close to looking at the ball as it was coming into his hands. That's quite different from the pics of Hall against the Bears.

If Rogers gets a professional to help him learn how to watch the ball into his hands... it sounds rudimentary, but maybe everyone's just been saying "The kid has bad hands" his whole life and ignoring the fact that the kid might just have bad technique.

On a separate vision issue – why are the inside of the Redskin’s helmet face masks yellow? Wouldn’t it be better to paint the inner half of those mask bars black to increase the amount of pupil dilation and improve visibility of things (like balls) beyond the mask?

Posted by: macouture | October 26, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I believe the issue is eye-hand coordination, not simply vision. There may be some exercises that could help CR but it might also be a mental thing, sort of a reverse Chuck Knoblach condition.

Posted by: Natmeister | October 26, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse