Cutler's touchdown, and Haynesworth's leap

When this play happened, the Redskins were trailing the Bears, 14-10. It was the first drive of the third quarter. The Redskins had absolutely no momentum, and the Bears were cruising. On first-and-goal from the one, Jay Cutler leaped, stretched out his arm, and got the ball to cross the plane of the end zone. Touchdown, Bears. Clear and indisputable. 20-10, Bears, with the extra point pending.

Except officials missed the call. And Lovie Smith missed the challenge. There was plenty of time. I saw two replays of this image before the next play was snapped. I was in the office, saying "That's a touchdown, that's a touchdown," way before the Redskins got off a play.

Smith just stood and stared. Instead of being down 11, the score stayed the same, and suddenly the Bad Cutler returned, in force.

You don't question this stuff. These are the kinds of plays that regularly went against the Redskins last season, or maybe for the past decade. Still, it's a shocking image of this game.

And in more shocking images, here was the flying Haynesworth leap that helped push Cutler back on this play, making it close enough for refs to miss it. London Fletcher followed up with the forced fumble, but it was the Highwire Haynesworth who made this play happen.

"Right before the play, Jay and Kreutz and Williams were talking, so I figured they was probably gonna try to come on my side," Haynesworth said in his post-game remarks. "They saw me stem over so they figured that I was gonna be outside the A-gap, so I kind of used that against them and jumped over the offensive lineman. I mean, I've done it before when I felt like somebody was gonna go for my legs. Last time I did it was when I was at Tennessee and we played Atlanta, so I just jumped over him."

By Dan Steinberg  | October 24, 2010; 5:58 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins-Bears, Best and Worst
Next: Leonsis: Arenas is "still in my good graces"

Comments

How F*ing awesome... Fat Albert going Airborne... the Refs were stunned by the sight, missing the call...

Posted by: johnvandermyde | October 24, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

That play was pure Winklevoss!

Posted by: isnadd | October 24, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

This is Dan Steinberg at his best - excellent focus on this one key play. Wasn't the ref's fault at all - sure the refs in the booth would have reversed it if Lovie hadn't gone brain dead.

Posted by: nativedc | October 24, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

AH! - dude looked like Orca at Seaworld!

Posted by: pharrrrtt | October 24, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Today Albert Haynesworth made a play for the Redskins. He may not bleed burgandy and gold yet, but he finally jumped in head first. Now let's give him some space and support him.

Posted by: Carole5520 | October 24, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

what a f*%$#&@ awesome game by he and hall

Posted by: trousers | October 24, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Give Big Al some props--he probably saved the game. Hope this is just the beginning of better days for Al!

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | October 24, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Big Al and D-Hall!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 24, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I was in the office, saying "That's a touchdown, that's a touchdown."

Mom's basement doesn't count as an office.

Posted by: jjt87 | October 24, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

And I always wanted to have some 350 pound guy fly at me untouched.

Posted by: jbkulp | October 24, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't see what all the commotion about AH is about.

Dude played a good game.

That is all.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 24, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

first, lardbottom made two plays the entire game!! secondly, the blown call puts the game at 21-10 and it is lights out on loserville. Cutler is a disgrace to pro sports and the officiating in the NFL is a joke. Shanihan is a razor lipped, glass eyed lepper looking freak and they stink and will get popped in Detroit by those bums. They should be 0-7. The league is fixed!

Posted by: doyouktt | October 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

There needs to be more talk about how our Albert picked up Williams and used him as a rag doll to throw at Cutler and sack him.... As I heard, "It was criminal assault with an offensive guard.". One of the best displays of brute force Ive ever seen in football!!!

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | October 24, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | October 24, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

i am watching lovie on local news in chicago. he said he didn't challenge b/c they at least had skins backed up and maybe bears would force a punt. what?!?! i just wish he were coaching an nfc east team and we could play his squad 2x each year.

Posted by: dcalize | October 24, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought you were only allowed on challage per half if you lost a challange which Lovie already had.?????

Posted by: resoob | October 25, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Capitalist-1, I totally agree. This play by Big Al was great, but I just as much loved the one you're talking about. I rewound and watched it three times. He had #73 completely off-balance and back-pedaling right into Cutler. It was a thing of beauty. I sure hope Haynesworth and Haslett have found Big Al's sweet spot.

Posted by: Andrew53 | October 25, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Lovie Smith has got to be the dumbest coach in the NFL to not challenge this.

Lovie knows he's not the best when it comes to challenges. He knew that he had only one challenge remaining, but when you have taken control of the game with a goal-line punch, and an unbelievable turnover has occurred, you absolutely have to challenge. Besides, the majority of the time, fumbles occurring in these piles are questionable.

I was overwhelmingly thankful that Lovie lacked the head coaching intelligence to challenge this. Coaches like Shanahan, Belichick, or Tomlin would have been smart enough to challenge this.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 25, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nativedc | October 24, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | October 24, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps I'm spacing here, but isn't this is defensive series immediately prior to the Bears' pick six against McNabb? I don't see how the play means much after that.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 25, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

What's the big surprise? On the Cutler TD pass in the corner, the Refs ignored Rack's jersey being twisted because of the holding, which allowed Cutler just enough time to throw the TD pass. Why the Skins front office isn't raising hell with the NFL about the weekly holding Rack has to endure is inexcusable. The Refs in the Miami game stole that one from the Fins. Couldn't determine who recovered the fumble? Really? So....what was the umpire who was, oh...3 feet away while the play happened at his feet looking at. How did the Refs miss the pass interference on the Ravens in the end zone interception, or the "very slow whistle" on the stopped forward progress ending in a stripped ball? Point is-these Refs may end up calling Skins games and they are horrible. If your going to suspend players for cheap shots, suspend Refs for cheap officiating.

Posted by: MTalleyMon | October 25, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse