Daniel Snyder: "I let people down"

Next Tuesday, ESPN's E:60 will air a long piece about Daniel Snyder, built around several extensive conversations between ESPN's Rachel Nichols and the owner. I'll have more about this next week, but in the meantime, the network has put out this trailer from the piece, with a few of the better quotes.

"I feel the last two years I let people down," Snyder told Nichols. "It's awfully embarrassing....I feel bad. And Bruce Allen's always busting my chops, he says stop apologizing all the time, you're driving me crazy with apologizing."

Later, Snyder talked to Nichols about his early years with the Skins.

"When you first buy the Redskins, there's no instruction manual," he said. "I was 34 when I bought the team....I can't believe they would actually give a team to a 34-year old. I'm not sure I would now. [But] I think that it ultimately will wind up being one of the great decisions they've made."

Here's the network's release:

Dan Snyder is a self-made billionaire, with all the trappings you would expect of the man who succeeded icon Jack Kent Cooke as owner of the Washington Redskins and built the team into the second most valuable franchise in the NFL. He's living the quintessential American Dream, but in 11 years since buying the team, Snyder has been a controversial figure, and arguably one of the most hated owners in the league.

In an E:60 exclusive, Rachel Nichols gets to know a Dan Snyder that only those closest to him have seen, one who's known around the office as a practical joker, and who considers every Redskins success a tribute to the father he lost in 2003. Snyder opens up to Nichols about his embarrassment over the mistakes he's made, why he's been a media target, and how, for him, owning the Redskins is a very personal undertaking, and the dream-come-true of a boy whose father made him the team's biggest fan.

Check back for more next week.

By Dan Steinberg  | October 1, 2010; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall, fellow Wiz rookies perform TLC
Next: Cooley: 75 percent chance Skins beat the Eagles

Comments

talk is cheap.

Posted by: John_Keats | October 1, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Snyder,

If you love someone, set them free... free free, set them free!

(meaning, if you really love the Redskins, you will sell them to a competent owner)

Sincerely,
Every single Redskins fan on the planet

Posted by: jgarrisn | October 1, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

TWO years?!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

A boss who's a "practical joker" is a bully and a poor leader. It's just like George W. Bush's penchant for giving cute nicknames to subordinates: If the boss can do it to you, but you wouldn't dare do it to him, it's a raw demonstration of dominance.

Posted by: russpittman | October 1, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

2 years? Are you serious? How about a decade?

Just because you went to a game with your daddy in the 1980's doesn't give you a free pass - so stop saying it. You have nothing in common with most fans. You suck as an owner and destoryed a revered franchise.

Go put a "GSS" patch on a toilet.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | October 1, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey the guy might be an A-hole to some and a jerk to others but there is no denying that this man loves the Redskins as much as any fan does. I respect the man (as I respect any fan) because he truely has burgandy and gold coursing through his veins. He might have made mistakes, been a prick and arrogant but I believe he did things he thought would improve OUR team (even though his actions had the opposite effect).

Posted by: priceisright | October 1, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

He didn't make any mistakes, that's just PR. He built the team into a billion dollar franchise, which is all he ever wanted in the first place. Winning was irrelevant to the bottom line.

Posted by: 54465446 | October 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

It's ridiculous how he keeps saying that the past two years are what was embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, they were, but so have the past 10 years. Woop-dee-do we're the 2nd most valuable franchise. I'm sure the Steelers are cursing themselves for allowing their team to place #17th.

Posted by: Andymr | October 1, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the past decade has been terrible. Especially for people in my age range who have never witnessed a REAL GOOD Skins team.I've hated on Snyder before, but i'm starting to have faith in him. He's doing all the right things and I think down the road we'll be happy he bought the team. HAIL!

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 1, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Sadly for all Redskin's fans, the only time Snyder has had reason to pop a bottle of champagne is when the NFL agreed to sell him the team.

Well, maybe when he successfully sued that old lady who couldn't afford season tickets anymore.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | October 1, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder bought this team at 34. That's barely old enough to be a head coach, let alone an owner. And a self-made billionaire owner, at that. Self-made billionaires don't have to listen to anyone, and I'm sure that how Mr. Snyder felt. But after 11 years of big money mistakes and immature attitude, he just might have finally figured it out. Owning a football team is not the business world. You need help from people who have been there.

I've hated this man for 11 years, but his blood truely is burgandy and gold. If he's willing to fire Vinny, hire Shanny and Bruce, and step back, I'm willing to give him another shot.

Posted by: 47mccoy | October 1, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I like what the guy who wrote into Norman Chad recently had to say. It sums up what every single Redskin fan should be feeling: If Snyder truly is a diehard 'fan' why didn't he buy the Cowboys and ruin that franchise instead.

Posted by: epwolff | October 1, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epwolff | October 1, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry guys, soon enough Barno will be here telling us all bout how awesomely good Dan Snyder is.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 1, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

That would be worth $2.50

Posted by: ged0386 | October 1, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Snyder fired Cerrato and a competent coach and GM...which is what we've all been asking for...

I'm happy to be patient.

HAIL!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 1, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

He may be an A hole...he may even get on some people nerves because of his arrogance. But you tell me ONE owner that isn't arrogant and one city that just LOVES their owner. This is an owner with a BIG pocket. You would be a fool to sale to another owner that can't get players and end up sending the team somewhere else. He hasn't made the best decisions but I think he's gotten better with our new GM and Coach. The man bleeds burgundy and gold. Yea...he did go to games with his dad and for a FAN...a true fan...you want nothing more than an owner that GREW UP A REDSKINS FAN. Put your feelings to the side and think people!!! Becareful what you ask for. They could end up leaving in the middle of the night like Baltimore when they moved to Indianapolis...Or...you can get an owner that hs money to by the team but doesn't THINK about adding depth to the team. I think the Redskins are at least headed in the right direction. To the TOP of the NFL. Just don't expect it to be fixed in ONE SEASON!!! Almost like the president. It took Bush 8 years to destroy the country but everyone wants Obama to fix it in 2 years. Come on people. THINK!!!

Posted by: TerrellG | October 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree with 47mccoy - I too seriously couldn't stand the man after last years debacle. But look at where we are now ... he LISTENED and has stepped back. Vinny is gone along with Zorn and we have a great Head Coach and Manager. Give him a chance and stop blasting him for no reason. I believe he loves the Redskins like we all do, and it isn't just about the bottom line for him. He has all the money he needs. He wants success for the Redskins like we do. Take a deep breath everyone and give him another chance.

Posted by: BRand2 | October 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

It's been eleven years of his ownership, where he made egoistical mistake after mistake, throwing money after coaches who couldn't coach, players whose hunger to play died, and really bad front office staff.

Before that, we had the John Cooke year or two. John really didn't want to own the team, and it showed.

How long before we are able to watch a game with confidence that we won't be humiliated? It's going to take at least three years for this franchise to be competitive.

Do you know what really angers me? My father, a true Redskins fan, who bled burgundy and gold, who was brave enough to go to Texas Stadium and cheer the Redskins on, will never see a winning Redskins team again in his lifetime.

Posted by: GABinOdenton | October 1, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epwolff | October 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Great post. THis is EXACTLY how I feel. I watched the Rams game last weekend and my first thought was it's the 3rd week of the season and I've already lost interest. It's no coincidence the only constant over the past 10 years is one person: our horrible owner. How sad is it that us Redskin fans actually feel good about the possibility of winning 8 games in season. I don't understand why anyone wants to sugarcoat this and give the guy the benefit of the doubt. People don't change THAT much.

Posted by: epwolff | October 1, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

It is not the responsibility of the owner to win football games. Their primary concern is to make the franchise profitable. This leads to their second most important task - hiring the proper football people to run the team. Only after all of the above do really good owners play a direct role in winning by doing two things and two things only: allocating the necessary funds so that the team can attain the top talent and so that the entire organization in a position of strength to perform well in the draft and negotiate solid and sensible contracts. Good owners create that atmosphere which outsiders see as a "professional organization" which attracts said talent.

It's all cyclical and always the buck stops at the owner. When fans says Dan is more hands off, he's still very much involved. Just he allows the organization's stakeholders do their jobs with less micro-managing. But a good owner is always still hands on.

To me, his apology is heartfelt and he is a true fan. His key mistake was taking on too much as a young man - that led to many more mistakes that has been documented in the article and the replies here. His business acumen is top quality, but he's learning as he gets older that the bottom line and balance sheet is less important than common sense respectfulness of the fans, his underlings, and the NFL.

If he truly "gets it" - good things are bound to happen in a relatively short time.

Posted by: JimGoldbloomVA | October 1, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

We are where we are because of the owner.
He made big mistakes. It's been hard on the fans.
It won't turn around in a year or two. And if Danny doesn't get it ---- it could last another decade.
If he can't figger it out he should
just copy what a successful team does that's what businessmen do.
Don't reinvent the wheel.

Posted by: VBFan | October 1, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epwolff | October 1, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Quoted for truth! Instead of trying to rebuild his image in the fans' eyes by saying he's learned his lesson and has hired real football people to run the team, why can't he just fade into the background, stop trying to suck up to us the fans, REALLY, REALLY show he's learned his lesson this time? In fact, he'd be better suited trying to improve the rapidly-deteriorating game-day experience and making tickets affordable for the real, blue-collar fans instead of catering to the wine-and-cheesers.

Posted by: stwasm | October 1, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Do an E:60 on Ted Leonsis. Why not do one on a guy who is actually well liked, interesting, successful in team ownership. You know, the anti-Snyder. Typical ESPN to pick the most out of touch sports figures to give more air time to (Lebron, Eldrick).

Posted by: cjzimm | October 1, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 54465446 | October 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

A typical ESPN stroke job by one of its jock-sniffing "reporters"

Posted by: devilsadvocate2 | October 1, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 54465446 | October 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I think he wants to win. But, he wants to do it on HIS terms. He wants to do it while making lots of money in the process, even if it means alienating the fan base and pricing out real fans.

Posted by: stwasm | October 1, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Very funny and intellegent comments on this post.

I read one comment above that someone believes Danny's actions have been what he thought was best to imrpove the team (Im paraphrasing). I have heard this often mostly on sports radio. This could be partially true and I say partially because over the past ten years there has been numerous circumstances of undeniable evidence that you Danny are not qualified to make hands on personnel moves. In regards to players and coaches. I believe he did not just grow ears two years ago and not being able to bask in the glory of it all was not an option to him. Although I do think he loves the team, I think he would rather us stink for a bit longer as long as he could ultimately claim some of the credit.

I also think that all this sudden epiphany is because the bottom line is starting to be effected. "Stuff" had begun to hit the fan in Redskins nation and people are definatly on the verge of speaking with their wallets.

With all that being said, I can at least live with that. It took to long but he finally is removing a lot of what has been holding the franchise back, his football opinion!

Posted by: gmac78 | October 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

well DUH, Dan! You've managed to micromanage the team into medioacrity, at best. I hope you'vd admitted to yourself that you can't pick or scout players very well.

Posted by: Hattrik | October 1, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

If you think Dan is a dumb clueless owner (and many do), then guess what that makes his fan base?

Name another pro sports owner with the following he has for a team that's won but ONE divisional title in 18 years? Name one so optimistic EVERY year when he signs (fill in the blank) that used to do goodthings in (name a city) or are having an old age crisis (Gibbs, bingo caller, Galloway, Jason Taylor, Deion, Bruce Smith), or are here to getthat final big payout (Fat Al, Deion, Bruce)?

Bengals fans, Lions fans?
Nope
No other fans are so overly optimistic each year when the dummy brings in the next washed up has-been, or wins one game over Dallas every 2-3 years.

Champayne? Jerry Jones has pooped 3 bottles for titles. Dan has popped bottles for signing the next 60 yr old. He'll sign Peyton Manning in 2017.

Posted by: morrisday1 | October 1, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Why should Snyder change when Redskins fans keep pouring money into the coffers? If you really think the product on the field is so bad, stop going to games. Don't renew your season tickets. Don't buy food and beer during games. Writing insulting comments isn't going to accomplish anything, especially comments that disrespect his father.

What really surprises me is that none of these comments mention what he has done to the gameday experience. The seats are too small, the parking is ridiculous, the concessions are so-so at best, and the prices keep going up! These are the kinds of things that as an owner he has direct control over (and should be fixing). I can't help but wonder sometimes if the same teams would have done better at RFK with a real home field advantage (instead of thousands of seats sold to opposing fans).

I believe that Snyder has been trying to put a winning team on the field since he bought the Redskins. The proof is that most of us have approached each new season with ridiculous amounts of hope after another off-season filled with big signings. Maybe we needed to grow up just as much as he did. Now, it appears (we'll see) that he's willing to put the football side of things into the hands of football people. Since that's been done, I'd like to see him focus on improving the live experience at the game (and not just by adding better video) and showing some concern for the comfort of the people who have made his team such a cash cow.

Posted by: nkeitt | October 1, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nkeitt | October 1, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Check again. That's why I did give up my season tickets:

Posted by: stwasm | October 1, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stwasm | October 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

You abused your wife for 10 years, now you said sorry, you brought flowers and candy, you made donations to charity, etc., you brought in a mediation team and now all is well now, right?

LMAO...ok, whatever you say Dannyboy

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 1, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I have one more thing to put out. The Redskins fan base is so large that you are going to get a very wide range of emotions and opinions. One that gets too much attention is the notion that Redskin fans are unrealistic and impatient. The negative things in life always get more atttention. There are many many many of US fans who love the team but has admitted that the mess that has been made over the last 15 years or so will take a few years more to correct.

Starting from this year!

Posted by: gmac78 | October 1, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I think Mr. Snyder is going in the right direction. At least he wasn't afraid to fire his buddy Vinny, and get some people in there that hopefully know what they are doing.

Posted by: dcknights | October 1, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Starting from this year!

Posted by: gmac78 | October 1, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stwasm | October 1, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"pricing out real fans"? Everything from Redskins tickets, to concessions, to souvenirs are priced on par with other NFL teams. Not to mention the Redskins have not raised ticket prices in 4 years, while most NFL teams have during that same time span.

If you can't afford to go to a Redskins game, that sucks (seriously), but chances are you couldn't afford to go to a game at most other NFL stadiums either... even if you lived in those cities. That's just reality.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Here's what's so strange about the Snyder haters... If I hated the man as much as you did, complained endlessly about how he never owns up to his mistakes, etc, and then one day he does and says "I let people down" and apologizes for it...I wouldn't continue attacking him and saying his apology didn't go far enough etc. I'd say something like "As much as I have hated him, I am glad he apologized to the fans and admitted that he has let us down. I'm willing to start fresh and see where things go from here." But that's just not what I'm seeing here. I'm seeing more venom and more conspiracy theories and more blaming Snyder for everything that is wrong in the world.

I have no doubt that Snyder cares more about winning than anything else. Why this is so hard for other Redskins fans to see I just don't know.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

TWO years?!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

CHICKEN DINNER!

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 1, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@GABinOdenton "My father, a true Redskins fan, who bled burgundy and gold, who was brave enough to go to Texas Stadium and cheer the Redskins on, will never see a winning Redskins team again in his lifetime. Mr. Snyder, thank you for ruining my family falls for the last decade. I've begun to really hate football season here because of you."

I don't know how old you or your is. But, I am 51 years old and have been a Redskins fan for all my life. I see you are complaining about the last 11 years that Dan Synder has owned the Redskins claiming he is the reason why you have "egun to reall hate football season."

Well if you know anything about the Redskins, you would know that after the Skins won their last Super Bowl in 1991, until Snyder brough the team in 1999, the Redskins were not that good either. And that is with Jack Cooke owning the team. If you want blame all of the Skins woes on Snyder, that is your right. But, I think you need to look a little farther back than to him.

Posted by: dbailey211 | October 1, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I am a Redskins fan going on 25 years of loyal service. I know the pain associated with watching this team and at times hate that I was fortunate enough to have lived through 2 Super Bowl victories.

Let me just say this... Football is a business, it's that simple. We as fans need to understand that fact. If you see it that way, Snyder owes us no apologies. He's a businessman. You don't like the product, don't pay for it.

Posted by: ruizo771 | October 1, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epwolff
~~~
LAUGHING MY $$$ OFF!! .....one of the best cracks ever!

Posted by: ArmchairGM | October 1, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

This is all so wonderfully uplifting to read. I mean, it's not like Danny made his money by managing public opinions through PR.

Posted by: sparman | October 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

barno wrote:

"You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried."

While I respect your opinion, the evidence would clearly seem to be on my side. If winning was what counted, Charlie Casserly would still be GM. He knew enough to draft Champ Bailey and Mario Williams.

Posted by: 54465446 | October 1, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 has “no doubt that Snyder cares more about winning than anything else.” How could you possibly know that? Where is the evidence? Are you (1) Dan Snyder, (2) his wife, or (3) his therapist?

It is just as possible (indeed likely) that Snyder, with his marketing background, just spins and spins (it is DC) the story of owning the team he cheered for while growing up. He has almost never approached it from a sober perspective but opted for glitzy players past their prime. You might argue that he spends to get the best players, but it is just as plausible that he does it to market the team and generate more revenue. The results on the field speak volumes (ONE playoff win in the last 11 years). There is abundant evidence that he really only cares about making the Redskins ever more profitable, not a winner.

It has been 11 years, at what point does his tenure as owner become a “failure” for you, Barno1? He has messed things up for that long – why does he deserve any benefit of the doubt? 11 years…where does the buck stop?

Posted by: buster5 | October 1, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

8675309, I am with you on Casserly and hated Snyder as an owner in the early years of his tenure because of that move. However, Snyder acknowledged in a Washintonian interview a few years ago that he know realizes how big a mistake that was letting Charlie go. Problem was Casserly and Norv were feuding at the time and Snyder had to pick one. Now it's easy to say he picked the wrong guy--he did--but he thought, all things being equal, keeping the head coach over the GM would be less disruptive to team. And well Norv did lead us 1st place in the NFC East and to the 2nd round of the playoffs that year. Snyder was right in the short term on that one, but terribly wrong in the long term in not keeping CC.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Snyder can apologize all he wants.

It's clear he's getting better PR advice than he has in the past, when he holed up at Redskins Park and refused to speak to the media during the season. It's better to own up to your failures than to be a coward and hide.

But that doesn't mean that they're not still failures. Over the past 11 years of his ownership - through his actions - he has demonstrated that the fanbase that supports his business enterprise means very little to him. In terms of on-field success, the team has been one of the worst in the league during his ownership. The gameday experience at FedEx Field is the worst I have ever endured in any sport, professional or college.

So he should apologize. He should be embarrassed. He has turned a once-great franchise into a non-competitive laughingstock. I hope he apologizes after every loss this season (which will probably be just about every week) for all the damage he has done to this organization and its relationship with its fans.

Posted by: thediesel | October 1, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@47mccoy
I could not agree more.

@Barno
Good last post on Snyder/Casserly, that may have 1st time you've ever said anything negative about Snyder. About ticket prices, I don't think prices are on "on par" w/ the rest of the NFL. If you want to blindly compare averages, sure. But look at the numbers harder. Every team that has a higher price index than the Skins has a newer stadium. Every one. Ticket prices should follow some basic principles of supply and demand. Being that FedEx is 92k, there is a huge supply. Demand would be a factor of population in the Metro Area, popularity of the team, stadium age and the Redskins record with a greater emphasis placed on the closest years. There would be weighting factors used too as the age of the stadium doesn't really matter that much after 5-10 years. Instead of saying our prices are on par with the rest of the league, I would look at different factors and compare us to teams w/ similar characteristics. Sadly, I would compare us to Oakland and San Fran rather than the teams that have higher prices than us. You can tell that prices are too high because of the number of empty seats. I will admit the 1st 2 games have been pretty packed, but wait until they play the Bucs in December. You will see that the game is not "soldout" and that ticket prices are over priced.

Posted by: matt555 | October 1, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

dbailey211: I'm 55. The first NFL game I saw had Eddie LeBaron and Y.A. Tittle as quarterbacks.

I agree the old Redskins weren't that good, either. However, there was something about those 1960s teams that could make you still want to watch. Sonny Jurgensen could be phenonmenal. Against the Cowboys, you kept your radio tuned to WMAL until the last second, because you never knew what would happen.

Snyder's drastic mistakes in ownership have only been outdone by one man in Redskins history: George Preston Marshall, who refused to integrate the team until forced to by Attorney-General Robert Kennedy, and guaranteed mediocrity in the early 1960s. However, Marshall didn't micromanage the team; he didn't hire sycophants like Cerrato; and he recognized the need to change faster than Snyder has done.

I don't hate Snyder as a person. In some ways I admire his willingness to take risks. It's simply that he can't tell a good risk from a bad risk.

My grandfather, my father, and I were/are all Redskins fans. I want the team to do well, but how many more years before we have a respectable team? Are we going to lose to the Lions again this year?

We're the victims of a pattern of abuse by a man who acted arrogantly and stupidly. The only way we could force a change is by running away, which is what we did last year.

Snyder didn't intend the abuse, but abuse us he did and he had. Maybe he's finally repented. Maybe he sees the light. But my beloved father will never see another winning season because of Daniel Snyder.

Step back, Mr. Snyder. Stay back. You can't make up for the abuse.

Posted by: GABinOdenton | October 1, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

For all his faults, Snyder did not ruin the Redskins franchise. It was already deep into post-Gibbs decline and he simply allowed the decline to continue by pursuing the misdirected dream of a reconstituted "over the hill gang".

Sorry Danny, the George Allen model of trading draft oicks for aging vets does not work in the 21st century and hopefully Bruce and Shanny understand that (not withstanding the McNab trade that sought leadership behind the center).

Posted by: ModeratePol | October 1, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"Hey the guy might be an A-hole to some and a jerk to others but there is no denying that this man loves the Redskins as much as any fan does."

Doesn't mean he should have an NFL either.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 1, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I heard Hitler was sorry too before he shot himself. Who cares if he is sorry, the dirty deeds have already been done! As one of his victims, will I ever get the last 10+ years back? He profited while we suffered! So now he is sorry?!? This is like a murderer saying he was sorry after being ALIVE in prison for 10+ years while his murder victims are all still DEAD! Just empty apologies! Just break the curse and sell the team, PLEASE!

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 1, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, the Redskins have been awful since 1993. So while you're all correct that it's not just the last 2 years, it's not just the last 10 either.

And I should point out that since no one on this board can help second-guessing everyone (Shanahan and Allen included) about every single thing, it's hard to believe any of you would run the team any differently.

Posted by: jaycane40oz | October 1, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Also, JohnWWW, settle down. This is nothing like Hitler or a murderer. Get a grip.

Posted by: jaycane40oz | October 1, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

This is it exactly!! What a bunch of dumbasses we skins fans seem to be. Keep paying the highest ticket prices to see the worst team. What a bunch of freaks - or people who don't have anything better to do with their money and time. I'm amazed that the Skins - who are now one of the worst teams in the NFL for two decades running - can attract so many fans. DC must need a diversion because this team, and all those that will follow will SUCK until DS is gone.

Posted by: beerherenow | October 1, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I get it. The last 11 years have been one big practical joke!

Of course!

Boy, is my face red. I really should have caught-on. I mean, really! It's not possible someone could be so inept, idiotic, politically tone-deaf, and generally moronic unless they were trying to be.

You got me, Dan! Good one!

Now would you cut it out and start running the Skins for real? Joke's over.

Posted by: noslok | October 1, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Everybody makes mistakes, but few of us have over a billion dollars. In the beginning and the end, the money really doesn't matter. Eventually, all that really matters is a man's character. At 34, Snyder was the portrait of a man with a defective character running a multi-million dollar company. The won-loss record of recent years and how it happened was a reflection of everything that was wrong with the way Snyder ran his empire. Today, Snyder is a sadder and a wiser man, who understands he made the mistake of believing himself to be smarter than the people who worked for him.

Relationships are the bedrock of championships. Now would be a great time to reach out to all the players and former staff members he tried to intimidate. Kyle Shanahan is going to make mistakes this year, and the Redskins will be lucky to win 6 games this year because they have such a brutal schedule. Hazlett's defense will be shredded early and often as players struggle to adjust to a defense they are suited to. Will Snyder have the strength of character to stand by his coaches as the team learns how to win. The Skins should not be expected to win this year or maybe even the next. A cool hand and a lot of patience is what this team needs. A cool and patience is what binds strong relationships. Snyder is going to have to trust that he hired the right people and ride out the storm like the rest of us.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | October 2, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

@GABinOdenton, since you're only 55, there's still time for you to get a life. IT'S A FREAKING FOOTBALL GAME!

Oh, and @noslok: good one!

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | October 2, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

This guy is all spin. I know four people who have either worked with him directly or been independent contractors working with him. I know one kid who is a waiter at one of the fanciest places in town and Snyder comes in there all the time. Everyone has exactly the same review: he's as big an a-hole as you could ever hope to meet. Not just arrogant, but petulant and mean. Childish and vindictive. Not ALL self-made people are like that. More than that, he treats the fans like GARBAGE. It's a no-class organization, and that's why I no longer root for this team. Good riddance Snyder, every loss makes me laugh.

Posted by: dcmusician2 | October 2, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Snyder is quoted in saying that he let everybody down in the past two seasons. What about the other 8 seasons kind sir??? He started by firing Norv Turner after week 13 in 2000 (was still a contender in the playoffs), hired Marty Schottenheimer in '01 and decided to fire him at season's end because Schotty had a little tiff with one of Snyder's partners plus he fired the most incompetient GM in the NFL in Vinny Cerrato. Plus the Spurrier and Zorn experiments were utter disasters. Speaking of Vinny boy, it really dumbfounds me that our "beloved" owner would keep such an incompetient GM in Cerrato. We all knew when Schotty showed him the door in '01 that Vinny wouldn't be hired anywhere else, except of course Danny boy (and the rest is history). For the owner to say that he had let everybody down in the last 2 years is completly ignorance on his part and he knows it. He has left this town heartbroken for the past decade all because of his massive ego and poor football decisions. If he even had 2 licks of common sense and had hired football minded people to run the front office, this team and organization would probably have been in better shape than it is now(shattered). I can't believe that there are fans that still want to support the owner, despite his long track record of mistakes (the biggeest letting Shotty go and rehiring Cerrato) and at the same time earning a massive profit every year from the fanbase. If Mr. Snyder cannot change his ways or sell the franchise, it pains me to say that we the fans are currenty facing the reality that our beloved Redskins will NEVER win another championship in our lifetimes.

Posted by: EKamenski | October 2, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is starting to get it. He'll have a winner before it's over with. He wants it too bad and is willing, now, to admit errors. Two things Peter Angelos would never do.

Just by giving interviews he's making moves in the right direction.

There will always be haters.

Posted by: PS7900 | October 2, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

"It took Bush 8 years to destroy the country but everyone wants Obama to fix it in 2 years. Come on people. THINK!!!"
WTF - I thought we were in the sports section here.
How y'all liking that change? At least Dan the fan is looking like he's learning a thing or two - is HE? He's got about as many different cabinet members rotating through as the Skins have had coaches.

Posted by: MDL7 | October 2, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Everyone wants to curse Danile Snyder for the Redskins down fall. The Skins wasn't doing that well right before he purchased the team. Anyway, he don't make the best decisions but I like him as an owner because he tries. He don't mind spending to go get us some help. Some of you would rather have an owner who isn't going spend on anyone, huh? Bottom line, Snyder isn't on the field taking one snap, but you all hold him responsible for these NFL players making all of these bumbling mistakes on the field. Snyder wasn't a part of that defense that let St. Louis destroy us. It's time everyone hold the players responsible, and ask your owner to get us some new hungry players in here, and that's hungry for wins and not dollars!

Posted by: allinthefam | October 2, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder has angered me more than I should have allowed. He's made managerial mistakes that were so incredibly obvious to everybody but him, and I hold him responsible for the state of the team.

That means I hold him responsible for the playoff runs Gibbs II made - something people conveniently never mention.

But the bottom line is as much as I've despised him I've never - not for a minute - felt that he didn't want to win as badly as do I. I never felt that deliberately sabotaged the franchise.

I did feel that he knew everything about the scalper scandal from last season, and still am waiting to hear about some kind of resolution - as far as I know, the scalpers continue to receive the coveted lower-deck tickets that people upstairs have been waiting years for.

He was very young when he bought the team. People grow, learn, and mature. I think he has - hiring Bruce Allen kind of supports that. Getting rid of his Yes Man Vinny (who I hold responsible for depleting the stable of athletes a good franchise needs to be competitive) definitely supports that.

Owning a sports franchise has two goals - winning, and making a profit. Very few teams accomplish both. He's handled the second goal spectacularly well, and has re-invested nicely. The stadium is upgraded, and the team's facilities are second-to-none. Now, hopefully, he has a brain trust in place to address the first goal.

Posted by: kemp13 | October 2, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Did anybody see Danny when the camera showed him during the Cowboys game after McNabb finished of an 11 yard run? Snyder was hooting like we had just run the Super Bowl. Dan is completely clueless and a knee jerk reactionary to boot. He has no concept of what it takes to build a team that is competitive year in and year out. The guy is a loser and so is his product.

Posted by: sjp879 | October 2, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame Snyder. The real culprit is Gibbs. He power-played Beathard out of here then started wholesale draft pick give-aways in the early 90s. (2) #1s for Riggs, (2) #1s for Desmond Howard, (3) more picks for Campbell, etc, etc, etc. In his 3 years in Gibbs II, he gave away 16 draft picks. His biggest mistake was claiming the Drew Brees was too small and had a weak arm. Made no move to get him. There's the problem and the reason there are no good, young players on the roster. Gibbs was worse than Cerrato in player evaluation and nobody holds him accountable.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | October 2, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

More marketing. Until I see Snyder hire a true GM (ok...maybe Allen is that guy...it's hard to tell so far), blows this mess up, and rebuilds a true championship team, like Ted Leonsis has, I won't buy a thing he says. This team is a mess, and it keeps getting worse despite constant change, because Snyder keeps repeating the same mistakes.

Posted by: dp3328 | October 2, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

More marketing. Until Snyder hires a true GM (I can't tell if Allen is that guy or not; time will tell I guess), blows up this mess, and builds a true championship team via the draft and a few smart signings, as Ted Leonsis has done, I won't buy a thing he says. Snyder keeps making the same mistakes despite numerous changes, and the team continues its downward spiral.

Posted by: dp3328 | October 2, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

running an enterprise like the Skins is hard when you have ADHD.

Posted by: Bearoni | October 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

You don't like the product, don't pay for it.

Posted by: ruizo771
---------------------------

I don't. Haven't been to a game or bought a piece of Redskin anything in 5 years.

I will always hope the Redskins do well, of course, but my loyalty has been broken by Dan Snyder. Everything costs too much and all we've gotten is mediocrity or worse in return.

He burned this fan of 30+ years too many times.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 2, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame Snyder. The real culprit is Gibbs. He power-played Beathard out of here then started wholesale draft pick give-aways in the early 90s. In his 3 years in Gibbs II, he gave away 16 draft picks.

Posted by: lp_lodestar
-----------------------------

No that's funny. We've had a decade of incompetence under Snyder and you blame Gibbs. Even if you were right about Gibbs' mistakes that doesn't come close to accounting for all the failures of the Synder era.

Not even close.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 2, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Shannahan and McNabb are possibly the BIGGEST mistakes of all. Good luck against Philly this week. I'm betting the house on Philly. (whome I hate)

Posted by: bopkova | October 2, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I have a coworker who said that Dan Snyder is the root of all evil. I wouldn't go that far, but classless and petty and vindictive come to mind.

How else could you describe a person who runs an organization that sues season ticket holders who want to back out after they lose their jobs?

Yes, the Deadskins backed off after the negative publicity. But who the hell hires people who actually think going after someone in that situation is a good idea?

I grew up with the Deadskins, and cheered for them during for most of my childhood and early adulthood.

Dan Snyder's actions have made me cut ties to the team that I grew up watching and cheering for. Hell, man, I even skipped school to go to the Super Bowl parade. But now? I root against the Deadskins.

What did this area do to be cursed with two of the worst owners in all of sports? Snyder killed the Deadskins, and Angelos destroyed the Orioles, another team I've cut ties with.

Posted by: tonyw44 | October 3, 2010 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lp_lodestar | October 2, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I can count at least 4 blatant lies in this post. 1) Riggs was acquired in the late 80s by Bobby Beathard, not the 90s by Joe Gibbs as you claim. 2) Beathard gave up a number 2 pick for Riggs, not number "#1s" as you claim. 3) Charlie Casserly drafted Desmond Howard, not Joe Gibbs as you claim. 4) Joe Gibbs had 4 seasons in his 2nd tenure with the team, not 3 as you claim. 5) Joe Gibbs never said Drew Brees was "too small and has a weak arm" as you claim he did. 6) The Skins were not in the market for a QB when Drew Brees was available in free agency (we were coming off a playoff run with mark brunnell and had just drafted Campbell in 1st round a year earlier). 7) When Brees was was drafted, Gibbs was out of football.

Please never post again.