DeAngelo Hall responds to Troy Aikman's critique

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

I previously mentioned that Troy Aikman thought the above act should have been a penalty.

"Going to two knees there, I think that should have been a flag," Aikman said.

During a Monday appearance on ESPN 980, Hall was asked about that statement.

"You know what Doc, I hadn't heard Troy Aikman's announcement of the game," Hall told Doc Walker. "I have heard in the past he's been a little critical of the Redskins in general, so I don't know. I can't really comment on it. If he said I should have went to one knee instead of two, you know, I actually got my two-knee celebration from one of his former teammates, Deion Sanders, and I've been doing it since my rookie year. Have never been penalized for it in the past, so when I do it, it's almost like a natural reaction. I don't really think about it any more, I've been doing it for seven years now. So always, after I make a play, I always try to give praise to the Above, because without Him I would be nothing. So I always try to get down on my knees and just thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to make that play."

"And I heard Troy when he said that, and I was wondering what the hell he was talking about, because I didn't think it was excessive," John Thompson said. "I'm saying to myself, 'Now I know I'm naive about this, but what difference does it matter whether you're on one knee or two knees?' "

"I have no idea coach," Hall responded. "Maybe I'm naive, too. It makes no sense to me either, one knee, two knees. I don't know what he's nitpicking about man, I don't know. We get the Cowboys one more time, so I can't wait."

By Dan Steinberg  | October 25, 2010; 3:18 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall, Sammy Baugh and four interceptions
Next: Carlos Rogers got his eyes checked?

Comments

i like when doc walker said he wondered what church troy aikmen went to where people pray on one knee. what a simpleton.

Posted by: johnnysears1 | October 25, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: johnnysears1 | October 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Troy knows about being on his knees... but not for praying!

Posted by: GFisher1 | October 25, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Troy is just upset that his Cowgirls keep getting flagged for excessive celebration.

Posted by: CapsNut | October 25, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

If I was as bad at my job as Troy Aikman is at his, I'd be Tony Kornheiser.

Posted by: wahoo2x | October 25, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

troy is a product of his long partnership with joe buck---the least entertaining and most uninspiring broadcaster of all time.

Posted by: goose33 | October 25, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I actually think that Aikman is normally one of the better announcers. I want to hate him, of course, but I can't. This comment was assinine, but overall I like the guy. Still won't buy wings from WingStop, though.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | October 25, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

At least Hall was celebrating a TD. How many Cowchips players (11, 19 especially) go nuts when they catch a 5 yard out? Aikman has never fully recovered from Lavar's career-ending hit. Poor thing....

Posted by: amontgomery1 | October 25, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

The best thing about Troy Aikman is that when he's talking, Joe Buck isn't.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 25, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Muslims pray on both knees, Troy Aikman you're an ignoramus.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 25, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why Troy keeps getting the Redskin games, but doesn't matter since I listen to Sonny, Sam, Doc, and the play by play guy on the radio. Aikman was a great QB, but he had a little help from his team mates. Maybe LaVar can have a talk with him. Aikman makes even Al Michaels sound good calling a game.

Posted by: bfjam | October 25, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

If I could get reception from the radio I would listen, but 980s signal is too weak to reach the middle of the city.

Troy Aikman should wake up every day and call LaVar and thank him and baby jeasus that he isn't blowing spit bubbles for a living.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

"The best thing about Troy Aikman is that when he's talking, Joe Buck isn't."
----------------
Ain't that the truth!!! Aside from Redskins game's, Troy isn't that bad. He doesn't know much but he knows football.

Posted by: luvdc808 | October 26, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I think the rule is that you can't go to the ground to celebrate (that's why Marc Colombo was flagged a few weeks back). But, they do allow a kneel down (probably a good idea to keep God out of this debate!). I guess that two knees is permitted, because the refs had FOUR chances to flag Hall and they never did. It didn't even look like they verbally reminded him to keep it short or anything.

I've never had a problem with Aikman as a broadcaster, but it was a little girly for him to request a flag. At least he's not as hyper-annoying as Larry the d-bag.

Posted by: Section104 | October 26, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

You can try 92.7 FM....its the same station

Posted by: chicoexcell | October 26, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Try 92.7 FM....same station as 980 AM

Posted by: chicoexcell | October 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I took his comments to be a dig at the stupid NFL rules that might warrant a flag there, not a dig at D-Hall actually celebrating.

Posted by: nationalcoholic | October 26, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Didn't hear his comments, but, now that he's not a player for the Cowladies, I like Troy. I think he's one of the better announcers. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: hand_of_doom | October 26, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh Aikman. I used to think he was a fine color guy. But with the Redskins catching him a lot this year, I'm having 2nd thoughts. Excessive celebration?!? Gimme a break. Talk to me when they start flagging the Lambeau Leap and I'll maybe think the league is fair about it. How about this...you can celebrate any way you want...(within the bounds of decency and without taunting) for ten seconds. Any beyond that and it's a delay of game

Posted by: CamLwalk | October 27, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse