Devin Thomas discusses his "nap"

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

The Devin Thomas preseason nap is rapidly approaching Gilbert Arenas Beard or Nats TV Ratings as "things the Bog should stop covering," but since I posted that napping picture earlier in the week, I figure I need to print his explanation.

"That's one of them situations where people look at it and saying I was in a meeting asleep," Thomas said Monday evening on the LaVar and Dukes show, after he had been claimed by the Carolina Panthers. "Clearly not true. It was definitely in-between meetings, napping off. But my boy [Brandon] Banks wanted to be funny and took a picture and put it on Twitter, which is definitely something that's a no-no, and that's a rookie mistake that he made. Coach Shanahan called him in and told him what he did was wrong. Matter of fact, he saw it right away, because I woke up after the break, and coach came in there and told him come here.

"So he got reprimanded for it and he had to apologize to the team and to me about doing that, because it was a bad look for the organization. In-house, we knew what it was, but from the outside looking in, it looked like I was sleeping in meetings. I'm glad you were able to clear that up real quick."

While some Redskins players have left in a trail of recriminations in recent years, even including a punter, Thomas continued to take the high road, accepting faults for his shortcomings in D.C.

"Obviously coach Shanahan is the man in charge, so whatever I wasn't doing -- as far as maybe off-the-field stuff, whether it was modeling, doing videos, whatever it was that wasn't showing professionalism -- I totally can understand that," Thomas said. "I know I'm going to a new place now, and I'm definitely gonna take all the advice I got from Coach Shanahan, which is be more of a professional. That means being where I've got to be even earlier than I'm supposed to be, just being a true professional, and I'm ready for that challenge and I'm excited to get the new opportunity. As far as the Redskins go, I put my heart into the team and really wanted to make a change around here and be a part of the change and the success, but things are gonna be all right around here. Coach Shanahan has the right program going for the guys."

He admitted he "got off on the wrong foot" with the new regime and "could never get myself out of the mud," and said he was never in a spot where the Redskins coach "had just a total belief in getting me the ball and allowing me to be the player that I am." But he said he appreciated his time in D.C. and the fans he met here.

"I'm sorry, I really am sincerely sorry that I wasn't able to stick around here and really show everything that I can do and be the player that I know I'm going to be in this league," Thomas said. "But you guys still will always be a part of my heart. This was where I started, this is where I started my career at and it definitely was a steppingstone being here. So I've always got love for my Redskins fans, and I hope you guys always support me in my endeavors in my career."

By Dan Steinberg  | October 12, 2010; 9:41 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Insider Live: Packers recap, Colts preview
Next: The origin of the "Bullets" nickname, Part XII

Comments

Devin Thomas was bad for the Washington Redskins...didn't want him. Can't win with him. Won't win with him.

The biggest obstacle, by far, to the success of an NFL franchise is having someone like that in your locker room. Worst possible attitude. And I don't buy this radio transcript one bit, because I've seen the guy speak, and have a solid grip on what he's all about. Say what you want about Mike's stubborness, but this team is headed in the right direction, and it feels good.

Biggest addition by subtraction since Vinny was sent packin'

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | October 12, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

because I've seen the guy speak, and have a solid grip on what he's all about
JohnnyBlades

You seen they guy speak and now what he is all about. Have you spent any time with him? Do you know what he is like around his family and teammates?

I read your post and you are full of BS!!!

Posted by: jm220 | October 12, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like maybe league-wide interest in Devin Thomas was not as high as he expected, and he sees the writing on the wall. Can someone tell me why Malcolm Kelly is still around though?

Posted by: armchairlinebacker | October 12, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Everyone: for the record, Barno1 totally disagrees with this move and thinks Shanahan is a ninny for letting go D. Thomas.He should be filling the comments with a rant about this (and maybe how we should bring Cerrato out of retirement) in 3...2...1...

Posted by: hithere1 | October 12, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

hithere,

Let's not go that route anymore...I'm ready to move on past the Devin Thomas debate. We will have plenty of time down the road to see who was right about him, and if he turns out to be an NFL bust, I will gladly admit how wrong I was. (This is one of those deals where I really do hope I am wrong).

But now is the time for Skins fans to unite and focus on one thing and one thing only: beating Indy.

Hail

Posted by: Barno1 | October 12, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hated to see the skins give up on the kid. They invested much in Devin and to his own admission he needs to mature. He's taking the high road out of town which is admirable and a step in the right direction. In the NFL you have to grow up quickly. To whom much is given much is required!

Posted by: Stevie-J | October 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Lavar? Lavaaaar????

Posted by: vmrg1974 | October 12, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Lavar? Lavaaaar????

Posted by: vmrg1974 | October 12, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

It's nice that Devin is taking the high-road but you can tell he doesn't believe the words coming out of his mouth.

Posted by: ouvan59 | October 12, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL...I keep hearing Coach Singletary's 'I want WINNERS' speech...

But just what happens if 'Clausen to Thomas' becomes the hot duo?

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 12, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

still don't know on this one. i still say why keep the 40 year old man that plays 10-15 plays max a game and get rid of 20-something that has athletic gifts but needs grooming.

Posted by: simplewords999 | October 12, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Classy comments from Devin. Even if you know he is FUMING on the inside, he maintained his composure and said all the right things. That is, dare I say, the mark of a professional.

Heh.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 12, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The definition of "career" to some people is to pick a profession, stay with it, focus on it, improve on it, strive to be the best at that one thing (Shanahan). With other people "career" can be defined a bit differently and more like someone that wants to dabble in a little bit of a few things rather than focus on that one thing. Stuff like football player, video actor, model, private pilot, volunteer work, whatever (Devin Thomas).

When the guy in charge is driven and focused on his career - and we know all coaches are hired to be fired - like Shanahan is, then the gentlemanly thing to do is to agree to disagree. Seems to me like that's what happened here. No harm, no foul, just a parting of the ways, a friendly goodbye, a divorce without animosity.

So for the sake of the 2010 version of the Washington Redskins..... LET IT GO!!!

Posted by: BenThere | October 12, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

When a NFL team goes 4-12, the only way to correct the situation is for a football first guy to come in, clean up the mess, and be a totalitarian dictator. That's the only way it works. When the Dolphins went from 1-15 tothe playoffs, TWO players from the 1-15 team were on the roster. I can't sleep on my breaks at my job. Bye, bye and good riddance to Thomas. banks took the picture 'cause he wanted Thomas' roster spot.

Posted by: derrickabney | October 12, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"When the Dolphins went from 1-15 tothe playoffs, TWO players from the 1-15 team were on the roster"

Complete and utter nonsense. They had a lot more than 2 of the same players. It's not even possible to dump 51 of 53 guys given the structure of many of today's contracts. No question the replaced a lot people via free agency and the draft, but they didn't come close to replacing 51 players.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 12, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ouvan59 | October 12, 2010 1:29 PM

I bet you can tell. Because every time he lies, your member shrinks, right?

That's one lyin' S oh B, isn't he?

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 13, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 12, 2010 12:36 PM |

Don't worry Barno (hey, don't I basically hate you from some other WAPO column?) he will not be a bust. I think Shanny didn't want him being a bad example of posing and making videos. Simple as that.

Shanny wants guys who live and breath football. Thomas is gifted, but he's looking to break into "entertainment." In today's world, who can blame him? If he can get it done on the field, which, we've seen he can, why not?

Well, because Shanahan said so, that's why not. Whatever. It's not like we just cut Randy Moss, but Thomas could be helping this team right now. Maybe, in the long run, you don't even want this type of glam-queen around. You want a team of guys who smell like BO and have grass stains on their teeth.

Whatever. Obviously, we CAN win without him. I think he'll be decent in Carolina, too. Especially if Steve Smith is drawing doubles every passing down. Thomas is a pretty good receiver. His body type and 40 speed will keep him in the league even if he starts modeling ladies swimwear. That's just the nature of the beast.

Coaches love stats. 40 times, vertical leaps, bench presses, etc. Apparently, Shanahan, not quite so much. Which is a good thing most of the time.

It's best for DT and the Redskins.

And they'll all live happily ever after.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 13, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Good luck, DT. Hope you succeed except when you play us.

Posted by: luvdc808 | October 13, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

WTF did the Skins take so long?

Kelly should be gone too.

Waste of draft choices.

Posted by: dc4life | October 13, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

WTF did the Skins take so long?

Kelly should be gone too.

Waste of draft choices.

Posted by: dc4life | October 13, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Shanny should have found a way to get through to him major waste we can't afford.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 13, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

For a guy who's professional career has been nothing but a joke so far..

That was an incredibly classy exit. I wish him nothing but success in the future.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 13, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Was there this much bitterness when Rod Gardner was let go?

DT is gone. It's time to get over it. Why do we complain about this when we have young players like Banks and Armstong, among others, who have become significant contributors?

I remember at the beginning of the season, everyone was complaining about the lack of youth on the roster. Well, here are two examples- 3, if you include Torain and 4, if you include Alexander.

Rather than celebrate the improvements, some folks just look for something else to complain about.

Steinberg, please write something about Williams' or Brown's status for week 6, something that actually affects the outcome of a football game. This is nonsense.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 13, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Thinker writes:

"If [Thomas] can get it done on the field, which, we've seen he can..."

We saw this in ONE GAME last year. Galloway has also had a good game. Armstrong has done the same. Sentiments about Thomas' release reinforces my opinion that DC fans prefer style over substance.

I also keep hearing arguments along the lines of "just put him on the field and see what he can do." He can't do anything if he doesn't practice his routes and work on timing with his QB. The coaches know what they had. Putting him on the field just for the sake of giving him a chance would be a disaster. That's what we did under Vinny, remember?

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 13, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Was there this much bitterness when Rod Gardner was let go?

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 13, 2010 1:58 PM

No, there was virtually no Redskins fan on the planet upset when Gardner was let go. The reason was simple: he was given ample, ample opportunities in Washington. His final 2 seasons in DC he was a nonfactor on the field as a STARTING wide receiver.

There really is no comparison between Gardner and Thomas. 50/50 was given every opportunity to prove his worth on the football field, while Thomas was given no opportunities at WR under Shannahan.

But, I'm with you...let's move on from this.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

But, I'm with you...let's move on from this.

Posted by: Barno1

Correction: No IN-Game opportunities. Shanahan gave him plenty of chances to prove he was a starting caliber WR in the NFL, but he could never make it any higher than fifth on the depth chart.

This is now his third year in the league. He has 40 receptions, about 400 yards, and 3 tds. That's monumentally pathetic performance. Donnie Avery, selected one player higher than DT, despite playing on the RAMS has 100 receptions and 1263 recieving yards. ( I won't even go down the road of quoting Desean Jackson's stats).

Face it, physical attributes and talent at the college level is never a guarantee of success at the NFL. It is not the coaches responsibility to force production out of a player, it is a player's responsibility to prove that they belong in the NFL. Devin Thomas has never proven this to Jim Zorn or Mike Shanahan. Hopefully he will get his head together and officially begin his professional career at his next stop.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Dolphins
Complete and utter nonsense. They had a lot more than 2 of the same players.
Posted by: Barno1
---------------------
Great call, Barno1!
You have to go all the way back to the AFL, 3 seasons prior, to remember a WEAK Miami team. Since the average NFL career is less than four years, those three seasons should have helped the poster's blind statement. Yet, like you, I seem to recall a few players, like...oh...the ENTIRE BACKFIELD (Griese Csonka Kiick Mercury Morris) coming with them from their AFL squad. Then there were guys like no-name defender Buoniconti, and Larry Little, Lloyd Mumford, Howard Twilly...

(Weren't we favored to beat them in that '72 Superbowl?)

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 13, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse