Devin Thomas "I never got a real shot"

When Devin Thomas gave his first post-release radio interview in this market, he was humble and respectful and almost contrite, striking the perfect tone and leaving just about everyone impressed.

"While some Redskins players have left in a trail of recriminations in recent years, even including a punter, Thomas continued to take the high road, accepting faults for his shortcomings in D.C.," I wrote then.

Well, put a strikethrough on that whole paragraph. That would have been the ideal way to go out. But life isn't ideal, and so Thomas also gave an exit interview to the awesome HAIL! Magazine, in which his tone was slightly different.

Thomas seemed most upset by the contrast between his early-October meeting with Mike Shanahan and his release several days later, saying Shanahan had told him he wasn't doing anything wrong and that trade speculations involving his name were "just rumors." Which led to this quote to HAIL!:

"It's just kind of weird how someone can tell you things to make you feel good and say nice things to your face and things change so dramatically two days later. I guess that's just how it is in the business. People can smile to your face and say what they want to say, but then at the end of the day, they do something like that. How do you not take it personally?

"I think it ultimately had to do with my off-the-field decisions. I think it had to do with trying to be successful in other ventures, whether it be my modeling or the videos or whatever. I think it might have rubbed him the wrong way. I think that was pretty much the main reason, because it's definitely not a lack of talent or abilities. There's no way you can tell me I can't go out there and make plays. You can't say that I'm not a good route runner and that I can't catch balls. That's stupid. It just doesn't make sense, you know?"

Thomas went on to argue that he never caused problems, never got in off-the-field trouble or had DUIs, and doesn't see "how it didn't work out" in Washington.

"I don't get the chance to justify myself with this team," he told the magazine. "I don't get to do it with the Washington Redskins because I never got a real shot....Put me out there on the field, believe in me and I"m going to hold it down."

And maybe so. I'd just recommend he start holding it down somewhere before he gives any more interviews like this.

(Subscribe to HAIL! and read the story here.)

By Dan Steinberg  | October 19, 2010; 9:06 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Harper says Nats will be Yankees of NL East
Next: Shanahan: Haynesworth wasn't ready to work out Thursday

Comments

i haven't RTA, but those quotes don't sound that bad to be honest.. feel like that was the gist of what we've heard before.

Posted by: 3tripleiii | October 19, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

These quotes seem pretty tame. Not sure what the big deal is. Maybe the interview is more controversial?

Posted by: dbunkr | October 19, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas really only played one year at the major college level. It is great that he is confident in his ability, but I find it hard to believe on a WR starved team that still employs Roydell Williams that Thomas was cut just for his other ventures.

He keeps saying "put me out there on the field"...well I'm guessing he wasn't doing enough in practice to justify more playing time.

Thomas isn't an old receiver who was at the end of the line - maybe he needed a change of scenery, but something wasn't right here.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | October 19, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I expected worse. but Devin - shut the @!#$@3 up. You suck. You should be grateful that they they waited until October to cut you - you got paid.

Posted by: goskinsgo | October 19, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Awesome article. Given the quality of the content, I'm somewhat surprised Hail magazine is free.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | October 19, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas got on the field in 2008 and started games the second half of last year.

He got a shot, and the results were anything but stellar.

Outside of one game against New Orleans he really never showed the instincts at WR that you look for in a younger guy that is poised to jump to the next level.

His hands are average. His route running is inconsistent.

Unless you are just going to line him up wide and send him straight down the field on long yardage downs, I don't see how he could be a regular starter in the NFL without significant improvement.

But of course Thomas doesn't talk about that.

Instead of focusing on his NFL career, he talks about his 'other' opportunities.

Usually you hear NFL players talk about acting or going into broadcasting or whatever, but these are usually VETERAN players that have proven themselves and are winding down their careers.

Emmitt Smith talked about doing things outside the NFL his last year or two in the NFL.

Jason Taylor has done the same thing recently.

But again these guys were 33-34 when they were talking about other jobs.

When these guys were 23-24 they were focusing on getting their NFL careers started and becoming established in the league.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 19, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

This is consistent with how Shanahan treats players -- meaning, not very well. What possible difference would it make if Thomas did some modeling in the off-season or appeared in a music video? How does that have any bearing on what he can or cannot deliver to the team? Frankly, how is that any of Shanahan's business? I have only a little sympathy for DT, since he was given opportunities, but Shanahan sure does like having a "bad guy" to work over.

Shanahan is everybody's nightmare boss -- the one who decides who are "his people" and instead of handling the "other" with maturity, simply makes them so miserable that they will do anything to leave. The boss who tells employees one thing, and as soon as they are out of his office he starts scheming another. It will work short-term because the remaining folks will conform and elevate their game out of fear. Long term, you alienate too many people and the enterprise suffers. Which is what happened in Denver.

Enjoy the Skins performing well while it lasts. We will get a 2 or 3 seasons from Shanahan before this type of nonsense catches up to him. Which it has before. And will again.

Posted by: haunches | October 19, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: haunches | October 19, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

It must be a really slow day for skins news when Dan Steinberg puts DThomas as a subject matter. DT never made an impact while he was here so it is NO surprise he is gone. I'm sure he did what the coaches asked him to do, but to be a star in this league you've got to reach beyond the minimum! Jerry Rice and Walter Peyton didn't become great because they did what the coaches asked them to do and nothing more. They reached beyond and took it upon themselves to become great! DT did what it took to be on the roster but Shanny called him out. Shanny doesn't need another mediocre palyer, he needs commited players. Talent can only take you so far DT..... You have to have the stones to reach higher....

Posted by: sd-bones | October 19, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Thomas has ever heard of the merit system.

Posted by: richs91 | October 19, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Why Joey Galloway got more playing time than Devin Thomas has never been properly explained.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | October 19, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Worst Skins draft decision since The Other Andre Johnson

see you never

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | October 19, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

10 games avg. 32 yds per game and just over 2 catches. SCRUB!!!!

Posted by: wynnebs | October 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

We take note of all the teams fighting for the chance to sign Devon. Think he notices also?

Posted by: ScottChallenger | October 19, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Given that the average NFL career lasts something in the neighborhood of 4 yrs maybe he should have focused solely on taking care of his primary career(football) and not worried about modeling or making videos?
On the up side, now he has all the time in the world to model and make videos.
I can't help but think better background checks and interviewing would prevent this type of draft mistake.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | October 19, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Let's just stop with all the, there aren't 31 other teams trying to sign Devin talk that is complete BS none of us know who is trying to sign him,i've said it once and i'll say it again Mike Shanahan is a liar and a back stabber to boot; he threw Dan Reeves under the bus to the owner(Pat Bolen)to get the head coaching job in Denver, with this team starved for wideout help how could any coach cut Devin Thomas without letting Thomas at least cut himself by not playing well when given the chance, no doubt DT screwed up his first year that being said DT is better than Galloway(at this stage of JG's career) and most certainly better than Roydell Williams and better than AA if he had been given the chance. I am not one to believe that coach's are infalible they mistake's all the time and often they let they're ego's get in the way of making sound decesion's and that well may be the case in the Devin Thomas situation.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 19, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

He hasn't had a DUI? Quick, somebody get this man a Nobel prize!

Posted by: agl132 | October 19, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Where is Barno's commentary on his boy DT?

Posted by: jpfterps | October 19, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"There's no way you can tell me I can't go out there and make plays. You can't say that I'm not a good route runner and that I can't catch balls. That's stupid. It just doesn't make sense, you know?"

Actually...............it makes perfect sense to me.

If he doesn't like the way his career has gone so far than PROVE IT ON THE FIELD at Carolina. Stop blaming others for your 40 catches in 2.5 years and take responsibility for your own (lack of) actions

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 19, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Actually...............it makes perfect sense to me.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 19, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

You mean to tell me that all of you thought that DT could flourish under Zorn and his offensive scheme(or lack there of) and Jascn Campbell running for his life every Sunday, the fact that this team even scored on Sunday when Zorn was here is a miracle.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 19, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

It's not his "other ventures" that were the problem. It's that they got him so tired he slept through meetings.

Posted by: McLobo | October 19, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Supporting your children is something you're SUPPOSED to do, staying out of trouble is something you're SUPPOSED to do, not getting a DUI is something you're supposed to do.

Am I missing something here, or does Devin Thomas not realize that he has no talent and will likely NOT be signed by any other NFL team?

Posted by: dc1120008 | October 19, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I am sure Javar and Jukes will have additional conspiracy information forthcoming stay tuned.

Posted by: bigdummy1 | October 19, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

He's a bad wide receiver - duh

Posted by: nativedc | October 19, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Just prove everyone wrong in Carolina dude...

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 19, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I think there's nothing wrong with what he said. I suspect that he's right in most of his assumptions.

Surprised you jumped all over him for some relatively diplomatic comments. It's unfair to ask him to shoulder 100% of the blame when we've already seen that Shanahan puts his own ego before the well-being of the team.

Posted by: drischord | October 19, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

some of you here still don't know that d. thomas signed with carolina last week, chairman mao tse tung shanahan has a week wr receiving corp(other than moss and armstrong,banks/rookie) again he did not sign houzmazadeh or t. owens does not play thomas 1 offensive play for the entire season and LIES about reasons when all along he does not like music videos and modeling there is no taking the high ground hog-wash lying is lying this guy only plays favorites even if they can't play as long as they are bowing downing, singing praises of how a wonderful coach he is and the SB rings he has won etc, etc, this liar is starting to make zorn look decent.

Posted by: wathu19 | October 19, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ShovelPlease | October 19, 2010 12:14 PM

Ahhh... cause Galloway is better? Just a thought.

Posted by: dmr0834 | October 20, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse