Gilbert through the years, more quickly

When I posted the gallery of Gilbert Arenas Media Day portraits earlier this week, several people said it demanded the GIF treatment. Reader @SubyWill complied. This is captivating. I could watch it for hours. I have, actually.

And as sad as it is, it's not as sad as Tuesday night's Gilbert Quote Of Misery:

"This is the NBA. There's few players that stay in the same city, so right now the city is John's. I'm not here to fight anybody. I'm here to play alongside of him. He's Batman, I'm Robin. When I came in, Larry [Hughes] moved aside for me to become a star and I'm moving aside for him to become a star."

I'm convinced he quotes Sartre before this season is over.

In happier news, a GIF of his post-game celebration. That's better.

By Dan Steinberg  | October 6, 2010; 10:46 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards celebrate last-second win
Next: Nats TV ratings double in 2010

Comments

i refuse to shave until gilbert makes jokes. solidarity beard is tribute to artist formerly known as agent zero.

Posted by: EdLeee | October 6, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

When Antawn Jamison signed with the Wiz before the 2004 season, Arenas also said Jamison would be the team's star and leading scorer and that Arenas's role would simply be to set Antawn up. Well, we saw how that turned out didn't we? Arenas went on to become a 3-time All Star, one of the top 10 players in the NBA, and average nearly 30 points per game.

That's why you have to take his comments about stepping aside and playing Robin to Wall's Batman with a grain of salt. Arenas will be an All Star again--this is not just a possibility, it's a foregone conclusion. If you judge him just on the way he played in the final month of last year (25 points per game and more than 8 assists), there is no question he has the talent to still be a superstar. And the bet here is that by midseason, it will be clear he is still the Wizards best player.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 6, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 6, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse
____________________________________
I think that's a poor example of what his comments mean. Jamison is simply not a star in this league. He is a glorified role player who is a prolific scorer and rebounder. It isn't Arenas fault that Jamsion didn't take over as much as Jamison just isn't that good a player. You will see just how good Jamison is as the lead man this year. Love Jamison for all he did, but he is just not a lead player on a squad, so I don't see what your point is.

I think it remains to be seen if he is truly sincere or not. I tend to think he is just playing mind games with the media.

Posted by: meatkins | October 6, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone in his inner circle or with the franchise ever recommended that he seek out a mental health professional?

Posted by: puzzlehead1 | October 6, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

When you're poor, you're "crazy." When you're rich, you're "eccentric." LOL

Posted by: jimwest20 | October 6, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

meatkins, you'll have a tough time explaining how Jamison went to 2 All Star games if he wasn't a "star" those years. He didn't make those teams the way a guy like Shaq has in recent years (off of name recognition), he made them off his star play those seasons. And his coming with the Wiz was a huge, huge deal.

I think it's the perfect analogy to draw. Jamison was supposed to be the star when he arrived in DC and Arenas said he would be the set up man and Jamison would be the star. Well, it didn't work out that way because Arenas was simply too good. I believe that is still the case...Arenas is still too good to be the robin to Wall's batman, despite how good I think Wall can be (and already is).

Posted by: Barno1 | October 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

My thought is me: that is why I cannot stop thinking. I exist because I think I cannot keep from thinking.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 6, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

This is one of your best post, Steinberg!

Get well soon, Gilbert! :)

PG 2 John Wall