Harper says Nats will be Yankees of NL East

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

Maybe you've heard it said that Bryce Harper is confident. Fearless. Intrepid. Undaunted. Brash, even.

Well, take those adjectives, and inject them with chocolate-covered Ritalin-flavored Red Bull-powered protein-fortified 5-Hour Energy concentrate. I mean, Bryce Harper isn't confident; he's Joe Namath in war paint.

"You know, I think in the next couple years, we're gonna be the Yankees of the NL East," he told MASN's Byron Kerr during a conversation about his Arizona Fall League expectations. (Audio here.) "I've been telling everybody that. I think we're gonna be the top program in the NL East, and we're gonna roll. We're gonna win some World Series. That's everybody's goal, and we preach that from day one. [Minor league field coordinator] Bobby Henley, he preached that from day one: 'We're gonna win the NL East one day,' and I really believe that we're gonna do that. So hopefully we bring a couple of World Series to Washington, D.C."

Now, bear in mind that Harper turned 18 this week. When I was 18, I really believed that I could probably make an omelet by myself one day. Harper, on the other hand, believes he can help a team that's lost 298 games over the past three seasons win multiple world championships while surpassing two of baseball's financial superpowers.

This all came about when Kerr asked Harper if his World Series pick remained the same.

"Yankees-Phillies, that's what I'm looking at right now," Harper replied. "I like Shane Victorino, he's one of my boys, I work out with him in the offseason. And then I love the Yankees, the Yankees have always been my team, I've got to roll with the Yankees."

Which is when Kerr asked what it would be like to be part of a team that might eventually upset the Phillies, which is when Harper got to talking about creating a dynasty.

Kilgore, of course, has more on Harper's first day in the Arizona Fall League.

By Dan Steinberg  | October 19, 2010; 12:18 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. sports media karaoke approaches
Next: Devin Thomas "I never got a real shot"

Comments

It's good to be Bryce Harper!

Posted by: noslok | October 19, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

I like the confidence. It all starts with players that exceed in their positions, a little bit of luck, and some shut down starters.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | October 19, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

even his friend Elias seems skeptical:

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | October 19, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Great. He's a Yankees fan. If he's good, we all know what that means in five years...

Posted by: rademaar | October 19, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Aw, c'mon Dan, if you can't handle Julia Child's omelette recipe, there's a Cooks' Illustrated one that you ought to be able to pull off. Just remember, all you need is the courage of your convictions! (Not sure that works when trying to win the NL East, though.)

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 19, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

He is a well known frontrunner fan. But I like the confidence.

BUT

If we want to be the Yankees we need to spend money, and need a uniform that looks like a pro-team.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"...he's Joe Namath in war paint."

Does he want to kiss Debbi Taylor?

Posted by: JohninMpls | October 19, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

He also promised mutiple World Cup wins for the USA, although he trains with Brazil in the offseason.

Posted by: M__N | October 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Keep a slick pan/surface and don't overbeat your eggs Dan...oh and pan fry a nice base of veggies (onions, pepers, mushrooms) to give the eggs a structure to form around.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | October 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Unless the Lerners creaaaaaaakk open their wallets and blow the dust off of their checkbooks, I wouldn't expect to be the Yankees of the NL east anytime soon.

But I won't knock the kid for cockiness.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 19, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Really? The Nats are going to be a band of rapidly-aging overpaid mercenaries who can't stand one another?

Posted by: EinDC | October 19, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse