Jay Cutler not scared of DeAngelo Hall

(By Jonathan Daniel - Getty)

NFL.com titled this little exchange "War of words: Cutler and DeAngelo Hall." This, though, wasn't a fair war.

"You know what, he just put it up there," Hall said of Jay Cutler. "He put it up there, we had a chance to make plays."

"I've played against him before," Cutler said, at his own press conference. "There's no reason to shy away from him. I mean, that's hard for me to say, throwing four picks at a guy, but I'd still, if we had to play them tomorrow, I'd go at him every time, if we could."

Great attitude, Jay. Love the confidence. In fact, I suggest you compile some of these totally accurate quotes from history and carry them around in the front pocket of your post-game flannel from now on.

"I'd totally send my men across that open field again." -- Maj. Gen. George Pickett.

"Would I drop Colby Lewis if given a second chance? Have you see these pants?" -- Jim Bowden.

"I've seen ice before." -- Captain Edward J. Smith.

"There's no reason to shy away from him." -- Alexander Hamilton, speaking of Aaron Burr.

"If we had a war tomorrow, I'd invade Russia in the winter every time, if I could." -- Napoleon.

Well, at least the Chicago media were kind on Cutler for his unfortunate choice of words.

Of all the poor judgment Jay Cutler showed Sunday during the Bears' 17-14 loss to the Redskins, he saved the worst for the podium.

Asked if he ever considered throwing away from Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall before Hall tied an NFL record with four interceptions, Cutler displayed the blend of arrogance and stubbornness that helped get the Bears beat.

At least Cutler's smirk is in midseason form....Of all the Sundays to wonder whether Cutler had full control of his mental faculties after the game, maybe it was this one.

Though I'm guessing Cutler will never see that quote. He's often gathering research that suggests Mrs. O'Leary's cow had "no regrets about anything."

(A commenter accurately notes that Cutler and Mike Shanahan targeted Hall repeatedly in the 2008 season opener, with Eddie Royal catching 9 balls for 146 yards and 2 TDs, largely against Hall. "Eddie Royal beat DeAngelo Hall time after time after time," Cutler said after that game. "We played against better guys before, but who cares?" Hall said then.)

By Dan Steinberg  | October 25, 2010; 12:02 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonsis: Arenas is "still in my good graces"
Next: Best and worst weeks in D.C. sports

Comments

Ha ha! So glad Snyderatto snafued that trade for Cutler. He's such a joyless schmuck....

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 25, 2010 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Cutler reminds me of Jeff George. Great arm strength, no idea who he's throwing it to most of the time. It's a shame his arm strength keeps luring coaches, including Shanny himself.

Posted by: blackjack65 | October 25, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Cutler's a dope. The Bears would be better off if they still had Orton. His teammates hate him and his decision making is horrendous.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 25, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

You'd expect a Vanderbilt product to show more intelligence than that.

Posted by: rogerward | October 25, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I think someone threw a bag of sugar at him before he went up to the mic.

Posted by: Parlett316 | October 25, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Okay Jay, keep those INT's coming!!!

Could there be a more unlikable guy than this guy? Thank GOD we didn't get him. That would be a disgrace if he ever wore a Redskins jersey.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Wow, we should be thankful that Snyder didn't get his way a few years ago. We could be stuck with this guy!

Posted by: eternale5150 | October 25, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

It's a stupid thing to say that is also completely true. The only world in which D'Angelo Hall is more than a middle-of-the-pack corner is his own.

Posted by: plikkkk | October 25, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Chicago's not in the NFC East. Cutler's a bonehead.

Posted by: boblas | October 25, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I guess Cutler didn't watch film from last week. Manning knew who to throw at - Buchanon.
I guess Cutler also didn't realize how much success he was having against Buchanon as well.

Posted by: WallyG3 | October 25, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Dan,
I just wanted to say the Pickett quote is brilliant. And, as a geeky history sidenote, Napoleon actually invaded during the summer and the heat took out a lot of his army. The retreat was in winter.

To keep this topical, I agree with most of the posters. Cutler's an idiot and I've never understood what people see in him.

Posted by: AndrewKB | October 25, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"Cutler reminds me of Jeff George."

It's not hard to imagine Cutler delivering the "leadership is overrated" quote that ended George's career, either.

Posted by: zimbar | October 25, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"Cutler reminds me of Jeff George."

Posted by: zimbar | October 25, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Grossman > Cutler

Didn't they get rid of Grossman because he turned the ball over too much? lol

I think this goes to show the coaching ability of Shanahan. He got Cutler to a pro bowl. Amazing

Posted by: Mike4169 | October 25, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

doesn't say much about aikman that he was encouraging cutler to go after hall again.

aikman's really turning into a terrible color man. just awful.

Posted by: sec231 | October 25, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget all of the times that Hall has been burned for game-changing catches and touchdowns. He made at least 4 fantastic plays on Sunday but many games have been as bad as this one was good.

Posted by: unclelonghair | October 25, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Million dollar arm.

Ten cent brain.

Shame we didn't trade two firsts and a third for him - like we tried to do. That would have been an unrecoverable 5 year decent into hell.

I miss Vinny

...sort of like I miss that migraine I used to get.

Posted by: edvar | October 25, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Million dollar arm.

Ten cent brain.

Shame we didn't trade two firsts and a third for him - like we tried to do. That would have been an unrecoverable 5 year decent into the abyss.

I miss Vinny

...sort of like I miss that migraine I used to get.

Posted by: edvar | October 25, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse