LaRon Landry's pre-game workouts

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

Saturday night was a weird time. Les Miles was calling bizarre over-your-head bounce-the-ball fake field goals. Southern Cal was crumbling into little bite-sized fruit snacks. I was polishing off a bottle of Dogfish Head's Theobroma, brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs, honey, chilies, and annatto and packing a healthy 9.0 abv punch. And LaRon Landry was sending out messages on Twitter like this, accompanied by a picture of a steak, as seen below:

Theeeaaa it is!!!! The Feeeeeaaassssttt is muuuine!!!! Then bk to my workout.... Let's get it!!!

Now, this was at 11:38 p.m. The Redskins would kick off with the Packers in about 13 hours. Putting aside the midnight steak and the cocoa nibs, I was curious whether Landry was really working out at 11:38 p.m. in his hotel room the night before a 1 o'clock game.

"Hell yeah," he told me after Sunday's game, when he again was the defensive star. "I work out listening to slow jams. Late night, no matter what time it is, I work out, get me a nice steak and French fries or what have you, and wake up in the morning and do the same routine. Sometimes I hit the gym, depending on how I feel, at 7 o'clock, but I also work out at night before I go to bed....Curfew's at 11, so while they're checking, that's when I do my do."

This is apparently the week where Landry's season goes national. Peter King wrote that "in the first five weeks of the season, no single defensive player in the league has jumped from relative anonymity to stardom like strong safety LaRon Landry of the Redskins."

"He amazes me, to be honest with you," Coach Mike Shanahan said after the game. "I've been around a lot of football players in my career, and to watch a guy play that hard and that consistent week after week...."

And Landry, of course, attributes part of his success to his training regimen. Teammates are aware of his propensity to work out at all hours to varying degrees.

"Shoot, look at him," Phillip Daniels said, when I asked about late-night workouts. "He's doing something."

"That's a normal thing for him," Chris Horton said. "That's an every day thing for him. Around the time it's bed check, he's in his room, and he's got his tools he bring to work. He's the type of man, he ain't gonna leave his tools behind."

"That's what people say, but I've never been in LaRon's room the night before a game," Kedric Golston joked. "I stay in my own room."

"That was the way Sean did it, too," Chris Cooley told me. "Sean always had a crazy workout schedule where he stayed late and worked out. He'd be up riding his bike and [working out] in the middle of the night."

Landry -- who's kind enough to answer my sometimes unusual questions -- said room service typically ends around 11, so he calls in his steak order shortly before then. He also brings his resistance bands to the team hotel, and can do all sorts of exercises just with them. He does 45 sets of every exercise, including single-arm curls, double curls, push-ups and a benching motion. This past week, the workout ended around 12:45 a.m. I asked him why he'd want to work out like that the night before a game.

"I just do what I do," he said. "That makes me feel pumped for the game. It makes me feel swole, you know what I mean, so I go into the game feeling like He-Man. I've got to be in shape, man. The aggressive style, the way I play, I've got to keep on doing that. It keeps me from being nicked up, keep me from sustaining difficult injuries."

Some teammates have wondered if the man works out too much, but you could also file this under the "if it ain't broken" theory of pre-game routine, I suppose.

"Guys got to do whatever it takes to get ready for a game," Horton said, "and he feels like he's got to lift a little bit, eat a nice meal at night and be ready to go."

After the game, Landry appeared with Chick Hernandez on Comcast SportsNet's Post-Game Live. He was asked what he's thinking when he's lining up a receiver, like he did with Greg Jennings before the first-quarter forced fumble.

"I don't think I can say that on the air," Landry said. "Really, just run through 'em. That's how I feel. I feel like I'm the biggest, strongest guy out there, and I've got to let them feel it."

Later, he was asked just how sore he is the day after a game.

"Really and truly, [Monday], I wake up early and get a work out in at my house, or I might go into the facility and do what I do," he said. "But I feel great, even after every game."

By Dan Steinberg  | October 11, 2010; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hokie plays without part of finger
Next: Redskins Insider Live: Packers recap, Colts preview

Comments

Love it. Great work Steinz.

Now what got Lavar all mad on Twitter today?

Posted by: jpfterps | October 11, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, stories like these make me wonder what our secondary could have been if we had two MONSTERS at safety...

But I am still very pleased with how well LaRon has performed this year (and the physicality of the Redskins as a whole).

Posted by: MillBurray | October 11, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

LaRon Landry's pre-game workouts

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

Saturday night was a weird time. Les Miles was calling bizarre over-your-head bounce-the-ball fake field goals. Southern Cal was crumbling into little bite-sized fruit snacks. I was polishing off a bottle of Dogfish Head's Theobroma, brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs honey, chilies, and annatto and packing a healthy 9.0 abv punch. And LaRon Landry was sending out messages on Twitter like this, accompanied by a picture of a steak, as seen below:

Now, this was at 11:38 p.m. The Redskins would kick off with the Packers in about 13 hours. Putting aside the midnight steak, I was curious whether Landry was really working out at 11:38 p.m. in his hotel room the night before a 1 o'clock game.

Landry -- who's kind enough to answer my sometimes unusual questions --
are you slandering ST21?
that's how i read it b/c remember you saying how he wouldnt answer some of your dumba** questions

granted i like this bog, interesting stuff, but don't talk sh*t in the slightest way about ST21,

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 11, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Stories about LaRon always make me wonder what our secondary would have been capable of if we had two legitimate MONSTERS just waiting to unleash on anyone who dares touch the football...

But I am very pleased with the way LaRon has performed this year. He (and the Skins as a whole) have really stepped up their physicality. LaRon has always been the guy looking to deliver a big hit, but this year he is finding ways to finish every tackle and involve himself in every play. Keep up the good work

Posted by: MillBurray | October 11, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

but don't talk sh*t in the slightest way about ST21,

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 11, 2010 4:52 PM

You can't be serious.

Posted by: tha_prophet | October 11, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Steroids.

Posted by: NyallsStJohnSmytheIV | October 11, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Remember when Rod Gardner was cut?

All that hand-wringing about him going somewhere else and being a star.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 11, 2010 5:16 PM

Ummmmm no actually, I don't remember that at all. What I remember is that most fans were fed up with Gardner and his subpar performances on the field by the time he finally got cut. He was worse than Randle El in terms of production.

Silly comparison. D Thomas will be in the league for a while, he still has plenty of potential. Gardner on the other hand was given many chances on the field, unlike Thomas, and still never did squat.

Posted by: this_guy | October 11, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas is going to haunt the Redskins for years to come. He'll be the 1st player inducted into the Hall of Fame while he is still playing.

He's gonna break every receiving record. Oh why oh why didn't the Redskins keep this future best-player-ever-in-the-NFL.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 11, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Landry is on some serious gear, hope he doesnt get busted, though I suspect bulk of the NFL's testing is just for show anyway.

Posted by: divi3 | October 11, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

true. if he were playing baseball, everyone would take one look at dude and cry "steriods!" in unison.

Oh well, who knows, right? for us on the outside its all just guessing.

Posted by: arn3z | October 11, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

but don't talk sh*t in the slightest way about ST21,

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 11, 2010 4:52 PM

seriously?

Posted by: rc2223 | October 12, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

PMcP,

That's two comments in a row that have made me laugh (Thomas HOF). I may have to reconsider my thoughts on you.

By the way, did you read the article in ESPN the Mag about athlete's and poo? Seriously, check it out. It was quite an interesting read.

I also pooped in a cup and hid it under a friends sofa in college. One of my proudest pranks to date. We may have more in common then we thought.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 12, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

LANDRY is really playing well,if he keeps playing at this rate for the rest of the season,l see the skins win at least eight games this season,he is making plays,free of penalties,hardworking and all is paying off now on the field.MS stated he watched him on film last year and just saw flashes with a lot of potential if put to play in the right position.he has the speed and size,cant wait for the match up against the Giants,Keep it up Laron and lets keep hitting them till they bleed,knock em out,one by one.peace

Posted by: BEE5N2002 | October 12, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
Peter King is a clown. Landry might not be an All-Pro in his first 3 years but relative anonymity!!!!!

He was the 6th overall pick from the National Champion LSU Tigers. He was known to all football fans as a huge hitter and playmaker. He was a Pro Bowl alternate as a rookie and has started every game since 2007. If LaRon Landry is anonymous to you, then you are not a football fan.

Posted by: goose33 | October 12, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Following on from a previous poster. Imagine Landry and ST21 playing side-by-side for a decade. They might've been the best safety tandem in the history of the sport.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 12, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@randysbailin

Absolutely. I think people were affected more by Sean's death because of how well he and Landry were playing in 2007. With Sean free to roam he was having his best year. With Landry playing strong safety he was having an amazing rookie year. If he was still alive, he would still only be 27 years old. Landry would only be 26 years old. How dominate they would have been we will never know.

Posted by: goose33 | October 12, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

So, Landry's "odd" pregame ritual consists of ordering a room service meal the night before a game and doing some stretching and other exercises in his hotel room, presumably while listening to music or watching television.

Big deal.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | October 12, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I hate to go in this direction but... steroids????

No offense, but look at his arms.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 12, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Laron's probably juicing. He's starting to look like David Boston/Bob Sanders. If he starts tearing tendons every other game, we'll know for sure.

Posted by: tank1906 | October 12, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Always a great read, Dan. Another great read you might ask? From the Dallas Morning News blog:

"9:36 AM on October 12, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Cowboy1959. Show DetailsHide Details

Personally, I'd rather sit through 2-14 this year than watch the Cowboys win just enough games to keep themselves mathematically alive but with no real chance of doing anything for the rest of the season. Besides giving me great pleasure at the thought of Jerry looking down from his box in December and seeing 28,000 people sitting in his monument to himself, here’s what could also happen:

1. Jerry will have no cover for retaining Phillips—no miracle comeback from the dead like last year that he can hang his hat on to justify showing patience just because he’s comfortable with the working relationship.

2. He won’t have any good reason (or strong incentive) to promote Garrett. He knows he’ll take a beating from the fans and the media and I don’t think even Jerry, as insensitive as he can be to the prevailing winds, will sign up for that. That’s a bottle of snake oil even he won’t be able to sell.

3. Without the two safe options, and needing something to fire up the fan base again so he can sell enough $10 beers and $30 pizzas to pay the mortgage, Jerry will have to look at coaches with brand names. It won’t be lost on Jerry that Mike Shanahan—a guy he could’ve had and who wanted to come to Dallas—is working magic in Washington with a roster full of guys whose best years are behind them (of course, he’ll miss the part about the Redskins finally having a football man in the GM spot, but whatever), and he’ll know that he has to do something similar to make his massive talent payroll pay off.

4. With a strong head coach coming in, Jerry won’t have the luxury of filling out the assistant coaching staff in advance. No hiring the offensive coordinator before the head coach this time. And since the current assistant coaching staff is full of old farts that have lost their grasp of the game (seriously, how much are we getting from guys like Hudson Houck and Dave Campo? The OL is a shambles and the secondary is starting to emerge as the weak link on defense), a new coach means new (and hopefully younger) talent and energy all along the sideline.

5. The new head coach will have the proven talent, and should actually have enough authority and credibility, to instill the appropriate amount of motivating fear into a locker room full of talented prima donnas and wannabes who have never learned how, or what it takes, to win. Since the new coach will most likely have at least one ring already, he will be able to do what Wade could not—teach the team how to win a championship. And since he won’t be beholden to any particular player, he’ll have some latitude to purge the roster of dead weight.

And then the rest takes care of itself."

Posted by: Corvis777 | October 12, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I hate to go in this direction but... steroids????

No offense, but look at his arms.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 12, 2010 10:11 AM
********

HGH bro. That guy is probably high on HGH.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | October 12, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

sets or REPS? That should say reps right?

I have been searching for LL30's workout routine for years now...i expect to see him featured in either mens health, men's fitness, muscle and fitness, etc any month now....and he's clean..all the idiots saying steroids, stop hating, he's a beast...a natural, clean, good eating, great working out beast! Great interception to help win the game Laron! You are keeping Sean's spirit alive, WR's are now afraid, bringing back memories of when Sean scared them into drops and crocodile arms! HTTR!

Walfunk

Posted by: damn1 | October 12, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I think saying its roids isnt giving dude credit he deserves. every player uses that crap, so why is he so beast? cause the dood hits the weights like a monster hours and hours every day, while other players are partying or whatever that guy is getting big!

Posted by: jacksonalex | October 12, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Will Someone PLEASE Tell Tracy Hamilton to read up on things before she writes them? Orakpo doesn't have six sacks on the year, if he did he wouldn't be disappointed

Posted by: Black706 | October 12, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

That Steak looks overcooked. Someone tell LaRon to never get a piece of real meat cooked over Medium. That goes for steak, lamb, duck, pork, even burgers.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 12, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | October 12, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I sometimes have that same late night meal right after enjoying 10 or 12 cold ones

Posted by: FOURWATTS | October 12, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

you guys don't know shiit. devin thomas has got a poor attitude when it comes to working. he thinks he's good but he hasn't shown anything - from practice to game day, its been squat. if he finds his rhythm with some other team, good for him, but its definitely not the wiht 'skins, at least not this season.

Posted by: eddypotomac | October 12, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse