Mike Shanahan and the gold pants

This probably says more about me than about you, but I got more e-mails and Tweets and comments about gold pants last week than anything else.

Well, about the lack of gold pants, I should say. At the Redskins' first two home games this season, they wore their traditional gold pants at home, and all was right in the world. They went 1-1 in those games, and played well. Then they went on the road for two games, in which they wore white jerseys over burgundy pants, and then burgundy jerseys over white pants.

They returned home last week, and so too, I figured, would the gold pants. I was wrong, though. It was white pants, again, and people wanted to know why. Players speculated that maybe Mike Shanahan had a role in this decision, so I finally asked him what I believe was the first pants question of his Redskins tenure.

"I didn't even know what color we wore last week, to be honest with you," Shanahan said. "I'm not joking, either."

So I asked whether he has anything to do with that process.

"No, no, no," he said. "If I start making decisions on what color jerseys we wear, they should shoot me. You know, I'm not even sure who decides it."

As it turns out, Bruce Allen does. The team, though, will not comment on what uniforms they will wear in upcoming weeks. And while a couple players told me they preferred gold, most seemed not to have a preference.

"Doesn't matter," DeAngelo Hall said. "Whatever they say man, we're gonna wear whatever they say. They all feel the same."

"We're just happy to get any pants at all," Artis Hicks said. "They'd probably send us out there in jeans if they could."

"I like 'em both," Kedric Golston said. "The gold are cool, the white are cool. That's not something I spend too much time thinking about."

"People were complaining, they said they wanted the gold pants, but I don't know, I didn't mind," Anthony Armstrong told me. "The white pants, my zipper doesn't stay up all the time for some reason. I don't know why. I think I must have gained too much weight."

Someone asked whether Armstrong -- who was fined for improper socks last week -- might be fined for a busted zipper.

"As long as nothing personal falls out, I think I'll be ok," he said.

Still, you figure with the homecoming festivities and the national audience and all, the gold pants have to return on Sunday, yes?

"They like to break it out on special occasions," Lorenzo Alexander agreed. "I'm pretty sure we'll wear it Sunday."

"You've got to mix and match, keep you on your toes," Armstrong said.

Because every single word of this above post is ridiculous, I felt sort of embarrassed asking about it. I said as much to Shanahan after his press conference ended.

"No, that was good," he said. "People will think I've got a personality after that."

The media members all ruefully chuckled, in a sort of "hahaha, no they won't" way.

"I knew that was pushing it," Shanahan said.

By Dan Steinberg  | October 13, 2010; 3:46 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flip Saunders on Gilbert's fake injury
Next: Anthony Armstrong's sock fine

Comments

Keep up the Lord's work, Dan. I promise I'll stop now.

Posted by: jwoodmansee | October 13, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nepetro | October 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking both of you need your man cards examined. Not revoked quite yet, but please let's drop the pants...questions.

Posted by: dcborn61 | October 13, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan has done some uni-trickery before.

For a MNF game, the Broncos came out for warm-ups in their standard blue-white combo and then came back out all-blue. He may have had a hand the switch to blue from orange and should never be forgiven for that change.

For an early season game in San Diego, the Broncos packed they their white uniforms instead of blue and I think Shanahan was fined.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | October 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nepetro | October 13, 2010 4:01 PM |

that was my guess, that there would be too much yellow/gold. if I'm not mistaken, the Packers only wear yellow pants (home or away), so having them switch unis wouldn't have help.

Posted by: VTUnited | October 13, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

There are half a dozen games every week where both teams are wearing white pants, so I reject the argument that the Packers' pants were the reason. I think the "special occasion" answer is the most likely.

Posted by: jwoodmansee | October 13, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

You should e-mail those people back and tell them that they are idiots. WHo cares about the pants? If they win, that's all that matters. Seriously Redskins fans, after a win, were e-mailing about pants?

Posted by: eternale5150 | October 13, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Wear the gold pants...the gold pants. I was so happy they returned to the real uniform early this year and terribly disappointed they regressed. Anyone can wear white. This is our house, our team and we wear our pants...gold pants. We don't need to mix things up...be proud of the uniform and wear the gold pants. And tell Armstrong if catches the ball and other things drop out that's ok. When he stops catching the ball, then we'll notice the other things!

Posted by: illinois1 | October 13, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

they are the ugliest uni's in the NFL so who cares about that dried crap and mustard mess they wear with bob marley on the helmet. they are bum street and stole 3 wins due to other teams injuries or they are winless. mcchicken is a worn out relic chucking hail mary's and the defense has been smoked in every game. the luck will run out.

Posted by: doyouktt | October 13, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

After enduring a lifetime of "We only lost because we were wearing our blue jerseys" by Cowboys fans, you blog has nothing to be ashamed of.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | October 13, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

There is NO RULE that two teams can't wear the same color pants.

Now if the skins thought to themselves. "two teams with the same color pants may have some impact on McNabb's ability to spot his WR's quickly, or the defenses ability to spot the RB in the pile. Then that makes some good sense.

I love that we just have gold pants to work into the rotation.

By the end of the year I hop we see the skins also wear gold pants on the road and white pants on the road at least once.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

@doyouktt Yea because holding penalties (Dallas), a dropped ball in the endzone (Philly) and missed field goals (GB) had NOTHING to do with those teams losses. You are soooo right. Lucky, lucky us. Go cry somewhere else. Sure, the games have been close but had any of those leagues sustained a large lead to begin with, those mistakes made by them would've simply caused them to win with less points on the board. They lost, we won. Deal with it.

Posted by: Tiffany010 | October 14, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Dan for the post. The uniform issue is actually one of the most important questions many Skins fans ponder over during the week.

I don't like the white pants at all and think they should be eliminated from the selection, unless they go with the white tops. That combo is ok.

Posted by: rademaar | October 14, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Dan and some others: the uniforms are important. I miss the white at home but at least they corrected the white top burgandy pant combo (white socks instead of burgandy, which made them look horrible).

Keep it traditional and classy with the uniforms. We are blessed to get the 'Skins uniforms rather than, say, the Titans.

Posted by: JJstarr | October 14, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Also, the uniform is the identity of your team.

Posted by: JJstarr | October 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Packers do not have an alternate pair of pants. Therefore, yellow and yellow is not preferred.

There isn't too much to this. Use some common sense folks.

Posted by: justmy2 | October 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

It's more than the color of the gold pants. The whole new uniform had a refinement and nice detailing in the stripes on the sleeves and socks. Reverting to the Ronald McDonald look of the white pants unis sucks, and I honestly don't get why. I also don't get why, with the NFL so focused on how much skin is showing under a sock, that it doesn't mandate that home teams wear dark jerseys, away team wear white. This ridiculous variation from week to week is pointless.

And wearing all dark top and pants or all white makes the players look like deodorant sticks with legs.

Posted by: cr1957ny | October 14, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Dan, for putting this very important topic out there! I am one of the anal lifelong Skins fans who has stressed over this issue all season.

LOVE the gold pants! Want to see the gold pants used full time, home and away, with burgundy AND white tops. Was dumfounded to see multiple variations after we wore gold against Dallas and Houston. Makes no sense.

LOVE the gold pants! Tell Bruce to stop with all of the nonsense already. He said it himself earlier in the year, we are burgundy and gold, and we will diplay our colors with pride, etc. Is it possible that the team has to give the NFL "notice" before making a full time change to the uniform scheme?

LOVE the gold pants! No idea what's going on, but I hope it ends soon. Please tell me we are going to see burgundy and gold against the Colts on Sunday night.

Bottom line, don't give up the fight Dan.

LOVE the gold pants!

Posted by: dpoclery | October 14, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

This isn't newsworthy-

Posted by: weaverf | October 14, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Gold pants at all times in all places. Win or lose, we look coolest with the gold pants, and they'd look great on the road, too. As it is now, we're like some woman who can't decide what to wear every week--like they have to make a new fashion statement each week. Gold pants, dammit! Keep one pair and a home and away jersey and be men about it!

Posted by: brad40 | October 14, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Uh (cough!) Aren't we the - BURGUNDY and GOLD (make gold bold here) !

Posted by: rusty6 | October 14, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

What is this obsession with pants color? WHO CARES!

Anyone who thinks there's any correlation to pants color and WL record is a superstitious nitwit.

Can we concentrate on football ferchristsake?

Posted by: impeachemall | October 14, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

This uniform is burgundy and mustard yellow. The Rams use gold pants with navy blue. Maybe the Redskins should try using gold instead of renaming yellow.

Posted by: Viewpoint2 | October 14, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Stretch double knit polyester, just like the coaches...cool man. Can't wait for the white shoes, white belt and a few "gosh darn's" thrown in for extra measure.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | October 14, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Burgundy and GOLD! Not burgundy and white.

Go Skins!

Posted by: jmarks09 | October 14, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

And you guys call it gold?

IT'S RED & YELLOW MAN!

The burgundy and gold was what Jurgensen and crew wore. That's what we really want to see.

Posted by: keedrow | October 14, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

And you guys call it gold?

IT'S RED & YELLOW MAN!

Posted by: keedrow | October 14, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

or the yellow throwbacks with the R on the helmet.

Posted by: keedrow | October 14, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"Could the reason be the 'Skins didn't wear the Gold was because the Packers road unis use yellow pants? Though I guess the home team dictates what will be worn... That's what I thought on Sunday anyway..."

This is exactly what I thought when they played the Packers this past weekend. It's wear the idea for them came from. I agree they should wear them more often as a retro look every once and a while, but not all season.

Posted by: MDZ28driver | October 14, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Pants on the ground, pants on the ground Watcha gonna wear when your [insert your favorite pant color here] pants are on the ground.
Refrain

Posted by: wvp123 | October 14, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Wear the gold every week! I loved it, and would like to see the gold pants / white jersey combo as well.

Oh, and PLEASE, no to the Rams / Saints gold; that color is HORRIBLE!!! It's not even "gold", it's Cleveland's Ball Park Mustard color:

Oh, and NO ONE thinks pant color = wins / losses. But..they are important and its the IMAGE of the team. Also, it's a symbolic change. Sorry to all of those that love the White Jersey/Burgundy Pants combo, but we've had 20 years of sucking in those. It was time for a big change in the organization (bye Vinny), and the Gold Pants are symbolic of that change.

Posted by: pcook52 | October 14, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse