Nats to unveil uniform changes Nov. 10

Say goodbye to this look. (By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

After months of rumors and speculation, the Nats are set to unveil significant changes to their uniforms on Nov. 10 at Nats Park. The team will hold a fashion show event at the stadium, and will show off at least three styles of uniforms. I've heard that, among other things, the gold accents and gold trim will be purged from the new designs, and the block NATIONALS on the home jersey will be replaced with a script Nationals. There will be other changes as well.

I'm pretty sure these changes will be greeted with huzzahs by the uniform nerds among us, although they also mean that a lot of people will be wearing outdated Strasburg shirts next season.

Expect an official announcement about the uniform event in coming days. (And see the VIP invite below.) If you have any more information about the changes or a copy of the invite, please do let me know. And yes, my application for a full-time fashion job with the Style section is in the mail.

(More off-color speculation is available at Ballparkguys.)

(Some nice insight on the changes from WFY.)

By Dan Steinberg  | October 26, 2010; 1:16 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dexter Manley's laugh
Next: Leonsis stands by Arenas

Comments

*sigh*

Loved the gold. and block-lettering. Wished the curly-W had gotten purged, rather than the block-lettering.

The original alternate DC red, blue, white, and gold hat was the greatest they've had. It goes nicely with the block Nationals logo.

Posted by: cassander | October 26, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm skeptical. I like the unis. The hat has become iconic somehow, too.

Posted by: ThisGuy | October 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Have there really been months of rumors and speculation? I find this hard to believe Dan...You could not have noticed anything was going on outside of what various local celebrities thought about the Haynesworth Saga...although I couldn't either and maybe that's why I missed it.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | October 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think the curly W will stick around since that is similar to the old Senators as well - but the clock lettering had to go.

Posted by: greg421 | October 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

At this point, I think the Curly W has become identified with the team and its brand. Not only is it a link back to the previous Washington team, but it is all over the hats, the brochures, the print ads, even the Curly W Pretzels at the ballpark. That doesn't even get into Charlie's "Another curly W is in the books" on the radio broadcast after each Nationals victory. It stays.

I do not mind losing the gold trim. Red, white, and blue seem like natural colors for teams in the Nation's Capital anyway, so I have no problem with embracing that.

I want to see what they come up with. Perhaps this will be better than the "whatever design MLB could come up with quickly" the club has used since its start here in DC.

Posted by: MJPinDC | October 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I've always thought the home jerseys were totally generic and unimaginative so I'm all for it...

Posted by: mbm1 | October 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt that the Curly W will be going anywhere. Also, I would not be surprised to see the red home jersey with white Curly W remain. They seemed to wear that one about 80% of the time at home this past season, even though it was officially the "alternate" home jersey. (Perhaps a signal that the home whites were on their way out?) The road uniform that they already switched from block to script lettering a couple of years ago will probably not change much either. Perhaps they'll mix in some more red with all the blue on that one.

The big question of course will be do they redo the top of the scoreboard to eliminate the Fuddrucker's font "Nationals" up there, or leave it as an historical vestige?

Posted by: FeelWood | October 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness the Fudrucker's font is going away. You could tell that Bud Selig and MLB came up with that one.

Does this also mean that the logo is changing too?

We can only hope.

And thanks for the link to Ballpark Guys, I was beginning to forget why I got myself banned from there a few years ago...

Posted by: CapsNut | October 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the main change will be to change the home uniform to match the away. It'll be a script Nationals.

Go to nationals.com and look at the "Natstown" logo at the top of the page for a preview of how they'll do the "n".

Posted by: cassander | October 26, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to the block lettering because it didn't match the W.

Posted by: nationalcoholic | October 26, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I expect the curly W to stay, and I cannot wait for the block lettering to disappear. I can only imagine that the team is moving to script similar to what was on the road jerseys this season. The website featured the same script all season in the "NatsTown" logo.

Now if the team would just mandate the use of stirrups and higher pants (ala Strasburg), the unis will be complete.

Posted by: jcj5y | October 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

YES! These sound great. I love script on uniforms and can't wait to get a new t-shirt this season that matches!

Posted by: EmGu | October 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I also wouldn't mind seeing some sort of homage (but NOT an exact replica, please) to the DC flag on there somewhere.

Posted by: nationalcoholic | October 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, my replica jersey is now officially obsolete. Will the team be paying for its replacement? I really liked the white unis and hope we don't become one of those teams that change everything every few years. I want something timeless and iconic like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers.

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | October 26, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe instead of getting random sports personalities' thoughts on Haynesworth, we should now switch to getting Haynesworth's thoughts on other unrelated sports topics. What does Haynesworth think about the uniform change?"-VarlyisNarly

Hah! I know this is tounge in cheek, but I love this idea. Maybe a "Tuesdays with Albert" section.

Posted by: MyOpinionIs | October 26, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth favors the uniform change, then so do I.

Posted by: Section104 | October 26, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I heard Javier Vasquez wouldn't mind coming to the Nats. Any truth to that rumor?

Posted by: M20832 | October 26, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised at this, and happy to see the Fuddrucker's font go.

But what will they do with the big neon "Nationals" sign in that font above the scoreboard.

And yes, I'm sure the curly-W is here to stay. The motif is used all over the ballpark and is connected with the Senators v.2.

My own favorite was the original Senators home uniform with the block W, but there's no way we'll see that except maybe on nostalgia uniform days.

Posted by: Meridian1 | October 26, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I am still wearing Senators stuff all the time anyway.

But happy for the change, I would like to see them use the old Logo with the outline of the capitol dome.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Just so long as they spell Nationals right, it doesn't matter.

Posted by: hesaid | October 26, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: workinglasshero | October 26, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it have been easier just to get rid of Clint?

Posted by: pgolkin | October 26, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The only uniform news I'm interested in is that there will be jersey with Nationals on the front and Dunn on the back. The other decorations are immaterial.

Posted by: markfromark | October 26, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Happy to see the block lettering go, but I'd be even happier if the team could win.

Posted by: rodeorob | October 26, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

There will be at least three uniforms, a home white, a road gray, and a home alternate (usually colored), as required by MLB. There will probably be one of those godawful patriotic ones (nothing is worse than the "camo" that some teams wear).

My guess is there will be some version of red, white, and blue for both home and away, so it doesn't look like a completely different team on the road. They probably keep one color hat, with the other color for the alternate, like most teams do. Though they could combine them, blue with red bill for example.

Posted by: Section506 | October 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

A patriotic uniform could look solid if done right. But a team that plays country music thinking its patriotic is never gonna do it right.

But just put them in American Flag pants like Napoleon Dynamite

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Posted by: cassander | October 26, 2010 1:31 PM

WHAT??? Do you also like the Wizards teal, black and sand uniforms???

Posted by: Kev29 | October 26, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

If they want the hats to be different, but keep the curly W, they could go with the mid-60s Senators look, which featured four pinstripes on a blue hat (I'd prefer blue stripes on a red hat, maybe with a blue bill).

Posted by: jcj5y | October 26, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if the team might add blue pinstripes, sort of reminiscent of the '68 Senators, the year they switched to red as the predominant color? (The following year, they eliminated pinstripes entirely, the first time a Washington team hadn't worn pinstripes since early in the 20th century, perhaps pre-Walter Johnson.)

As long as the pinstripes are blue...red would be too imitative of a certain team out of Philadelphia. And, as we all know, a certain Bryce Harper loves pinstripes.

Posted by: VPaterno | October 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I've also heard that they might be ditching the solid blue away hats (and the blue socks/undershirts). We'll see.

I'll be happy when they ditch the horrid block letters for script.

Interesting back story on how the mismatched uniforms came to be...

Posted by: Kev29 | October 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"Natinals" in script as opposed to the block letters is gonna look GREAT!

Posted by: norton1102 | October 26, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VPaterno | October 26, 2010 3:04 PM

Too many pinstripes in this division - Phillies, Mets and Marlins. Of course the Senators wore pinstripes before all three of 'em (1912).

Simple white with red and blue trim and a script Nationals will do fine.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 26, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Natinals" in script as opposed to the block letters is gonna look GREAT!

Posted by: norton1102 | October 26, 2010 3:14 PM

Oh, I see what you did there! Man, that is hilarious! You totally burned the team by referencing something that happened with a couple jerseys a year and a half ago! Clever!

Posted by: Kev29 | October 26, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I tend to think that they won't use pinstripes on the unis for the reason Kev29 cites---too many already in the Division. And while I don't think that would preclude using stripes on the hat, it probably suggests that they'll just keep the red curly W hats (I think the blue ones will go too---they don't really work with the new road jerseys).

Posted by: jcj5y | October 26, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

>Linking to the ballparkguys.com message board is a REALLY BAD idea, unless you like being associated with the homophobic idiots over there.

Posted by: workinglasshero

Posted by: Brue | October 26, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The gold trim makes red lettering look orange from a distance, and I don't want anything that looks orange on a Washington baseball jersey (or my t-shirt).

I wondered if the script "Natstown" was part of a transition to script "Nationals." Should look good.

Posted by: KenNat | October 26, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

About freakin' time - the gold accent was god awful - red, white and blue, it's not that complicated. And please, revert back to the old school senators look - much more appealing. Living in NJ, I see SO MUCH good Phillies, Yanks and Mets merch and the Nats have just pooped the bed when it comes to this aspect of fan outreach. Keep the Curly W.

Posted by: terrapin31590us | October 26, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with some of the above posters about a lame patriotic version. I hope they don't cheese out like that.

Posted by: mbm1 | October 26, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I suppose the PTBs of the GNats think that new uniforms will put more fannies in their over abundance of empty seats than resigning their current only constant home run threat, Adam Dunn.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | October 26, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

They should've named them the Senators from day 1 and design the uniforms exactly the way they used to be in the 70's. They have entirely too much going on with the uniforms. Block lettering, script lettering on the road, Curly W on the hats, Block DC on the hats. Decide on something, stick with it and concentrate on winning.

Look at the Yankees uniforms. They've been that way since inception. They have no names on the back of the uniforms but strangely enough, everybody knows their names. Go figure.

Posted by: carterm1 | October 26, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'll be ordering my Natinols jersey immediately.

Posted by: beaupre33 | October 26, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carterm1 | October 26, 2010 3:52 PM

(Uniform nerd alert)

Actually, the Yankees changed their uniform around quite a bit in their first twenty years...

But yeah, haven't changed much at all in the last 80 years.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 26, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Yep, they're named the Yankees.

Posted by: markfromark | October 26, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Walgreens Forever!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 26, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"Shocked and dismayed by your attitude. Lots of substantive baseball dialogue on there.

Posted by: Brue | October 26, 2010 3:29 PM"

Bet you read Playboy for the articles too.

Posted by: FeelWood | October 26, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow Kev29, and you pulled out the exact same sarcastic response in defense of an organization that a couple of years ago couldn't even operate a clock properly too!!!

Posted by: CapsNut | October 26, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Teams that have nothing to offer on the field and nothing to offer their fans launch new uniform designs to deflect from that fact. A little less uniform redesign and a little more winning is what's needed.

Oh and "Workinglasshero" is a moron.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | October 26, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The Nats' average record over the last five seasons is 66-96. They need several new starting pitchers, a new CF who isn't a rally-killing idiot, a new (or re-signed) 1B who hits for power, new owners who aren't happy to make a profit while putting a mediocre product on the field, and a new manager who doesn't overmanage. New uniforms are WAAAAY down the list of priorities. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig...

P.S.: Fire Clint.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | October 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getjiggly1 | October 26, 2010 4:17 PM |
______________________________
Normally, I'd agree with that (having cleverly deleted the reference to fellow poster). But in this case the new home jersey, along with the road jersey change, was a long time coming. Getting rid of the awful uniforms that MLB stuck us with is righting a wrong. Now, let's win.

Posted by: mojo6 | October 26, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

>Oh and "Workinglasshero" is a moron.

Posted by: getjiggly1

Shaken and appalled at the hurtful level of honesty on this board. Need some jpegs and substantive dialogue to get me through.

Posted by: Brue | October 26, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Please, can we get the old-timey block W back on the hats? You can't get more retro than that. Unless you're having them play in bowler hats.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | October 26, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

First thing they should do is change the name to what it should be - The Senators. That would be more like it. Get rid of the DC crap. Bring back the old Senators look. I remeber when my Phightin Phils changed their uniforms in the 70's when they opened the Vet. They were OK but I was really happy when they went back to the old style (early 90's) with some nice updating. I like their Sunday uniforms that look like the ones they wore in the 40's. Main thing is bring back the Senators!!!

Posted by: Dog-1 | October 26, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

P.S.: Fire Clint.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | October 26, 2010 4:22 PM

You don't think the team can work on player personnel matters AND have the marketing department assist in developing new home uniforms? The two priorities aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think Mike Rizzo is drawing up uniform designs with his crayons at the moment.

Amazingly, the Minnesota Twins came up with a new stadium and uniforms last year and managed to win 94 games - so I don't think it's impossible.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 26, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of the DC crap... my Phightin Phils

Posted by: Dog-1 | October 26, 2010 4:54 PM

You pretty much lost me all over the place - but I would bold these two phrases.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 26, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Man, I hated that Fuddrucker's font.

And as much as I liked the new road jerseys, I felt like they couldn't decide whether they were going to focus on red or blue. The blue hats with the red undershirts just looked incongruous to me.

Posted by: JohninMpls | October 26, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what the uniforms look like?

Just sign Dunn.

Posted by: jbartelloni | October 26, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

The Curly W is here to stay. It is in the iron work at Nationals Park. I wonder whether they will replace the "Nationals" block letters in the scoreboard sign.

Posted by: RJD1 | October 26, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Count me on the side of the happy. I absolutely hated the block letters and the gold trim.

Posted by: ouvan59 | October 26, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Now the Nats will have something to wear on "Turn back the clock night".

I'll wait and see what they've come up with before I judge this move. But I have two Nats jerseys, and I am getting sick of teams changing uniforms every 3 or 4 years in an attempt to generate some more revenue.

There is something to be said for establishing a traditional look -- like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, etc.

On the other hand, maybe this is an attempt to symbolically make a break with the dismal failures of the first 5 seasons here in DC. That might actually make some sense.

Posted by: noslok | October 26, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I'd be a whole lot more excited to see a couple of front-end pitchers being unveiled, not to mention a re-signed Adam Dunn. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | October 26, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if they do a Curly K that will be enough to convince Dunn to sign here. A standing ovation for a four strikeout game was obviously not enough.

Posted by: nunof1 | October 26, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noslok | October 26, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

First we need to find a look people can get into. They need to keep it simple. Thats for sure. Never heard a lot of popular cheers for the current look.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

JUST Dump that bS curly W crapola....that's the sign of HOPELESSNESS...for these 5 out of 6 season's in LAST place ...bums.....

Posted by: GRIMReaper55 | October 26, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

The curly W is the Walgreen's logo. Enough said. It has to go! Embarrassing.

The nostalgia for the dreadful '60s Senators team is beyond me. Won't be too long before the franchise (Nexpos?) ditches ALL that stuff and looks to the future. And I don't mean changing the name to Wizards, of course, or Redskins, much less 'Skins. What would THAT be celebrating? Our long history of TRAPPPING?

With all the nostalgia here, there's almost no love for the Grays, DC's best baseball team. Interesting.

Meant that with a pretty good will...

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 26, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

SO HAPPY they're going to cursive font to match the hat! Those block letters were awful. I'm buying my new Zimm jersey as soon as they're available...

Posted by: egoodman8 | October 26, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Ticket sales down, uni sales up. The Lerners know how to balance the books. We'll be the prettiest looking last place team in all of baseball. How's that for progress?

Posted by: howjensen | October 27, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Meant that with a pretty good will...

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 26, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Um, the team actually wears Grays jerseys every year, they sell them, it was actually one of the original choices for the team name when they did a fan pick contest.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2010 9:29 AM

Not to mention the Ring of Honor behind home plate which features Cool Papa Bell, Ray Brown, Josh Gibson, Buck Leonard, Cumberland Posey, and Jud Wilson.

And the Stars and Stripes Club which is wrapped in old Grays photos and memorabilia.

Oh and the statue of Josh Gibson in the center field plaza.

But yeah, other than that the Nats give the Grays no love.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 27, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Can we please get back to baseball unis and drop the softball shirts? You know, the red pullovers that look like they should say "Quality Concrete" or "Joe's Barbershop" on the back? If we want a serious baseball team, let's have them look like a baseball team and not like a bunch of guys who get together once a week and the losing team buys the beer.

Posted by: Loxley54 | October 27, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and no more hats with block DC lettering. Keep the scripted W--at least there is tradition behind it. It may not be a winning tradition, but baseball is a game that has always thrived on tradition--good, bad, or mediocre.

Posted by: Loxley54 | October 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brue | October 26, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Cmon Brue, who are you trying to fool.

You know better than that.

anyhow, this uniform crap is irrelevant so long as the team loses 90-100 games every year. I wish this team put as much focus on putting a solid team on the field as they do towards selling new jerseys.

Posted by: JMW_IV | October 30, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Oh and the statue of Josh Gibson in the center field plaza.

But yeah, other than that the Nats give the Grays no love.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 27, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Well, acutally I meant love for the Grays on this board and on Nationals Journal. The Expos franchise is actually more on track than the city and the fans are. We laugh at the three statues in front of the stadium, but at least they DO accurately reflect the three franchises comprising DC baseball history -- Walter Johnson of the Nationals, Josh Gibson of the Grays, and Frank Howard of the Senators. But other than that, the "love" for the Grays is just about "separate but equal." Once or twice a season, the team wears some throwback uniform commemorating the Grays. Once or twice. Whereas the team name and the name Nationals Park commemorate the first franchise everyday all the time, and the ubiquitous curly W commmorates the 60s Senators. Every single day. Every day compared to once or twice a season. That's fair? That's just about no love for the Grays, regardless of the ring of honor and the token throwback uniforms! Again, the Expos franchise is doing a better job of remembering and honoring the Grays than the current teams' fans are.

Just ditch the Nationals name, for crying out loud, the Senators name, the curly W, etc. EXCEPT for those token throwback uniform days, and start over with something new.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 30, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse