Redskins-Colts another FedEx Field sellout

"Sunday's game will be the Redskins' 354th consecutive home sellout, including playoff games," the team announced in its pre-game package.

As previously noted, that stat chooses to ignore the 1987 strike. But regardless, in my mind's eye, a sold-out game involves sad-faced ticket agents hanging a "SOLD OUT!" sign over their windows, while crowds of fans waiting in line throw down their fedoras in anger and instead retire to the neighborhood tobacconist's shop with their transistor radios.

Whereas the Redskins' version of a sellout includes this sign on the ticket booth less than two hours before gametime, with the agent telling me she could sell me two general-admission 400-level $86 seats together if I wanted.

I know you're sick of me writing about this. I know I'll get at least six comments telling me I'm an unimaginative repetitive black-souled idiot. I know about visiting team returns. But it's just a strange sort of sellout where you can buy general-admission tickets long after it's been announced that all the tickets are sold, that's all

By Dan Steinberg  | October 18, 2010; 10:17 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Davis: Cooley played with his concussion
Next: Gary Williams in Top Gun, JTIII dancing

Comments

while I'm sure people will give you grief, I'm with you. Available tickets and sellouts ought to be mutually exclusive.

Posted by: zeile_d | October 18, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The worst part is when we finally get a stadium built back in DC, Snyder will be too stupid to downsize the capacity from FedEx. Nope, gotta beat Jerrah!

An 80,000 seat stadium is what we need.

Posted by: Hogie | October 18, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Yes. Sick of you writing about this. Just let it go already.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 18, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

It would just be refreshing if the Redskins admitted that there no longer is a waiting list and actually encouraged single game tickets.

Wondering when we'll get to the point where the Redskins use the threat of local TV blackout to sell those last seats.

Posted by: dcborn61 | October 18, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Nope, not sick of you writing about this. Scumbag $nyder just loves pumping his ego AND get more money for awful seats.

Posted by: password11 | October 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Please keep writing these. We've got four more home games, and it isn't going to get any better. 1:00 p.m. winter games aren't the same draw as early season Sunday night Cowboys/Colts.

The Redskins would never threaten the local TV black out because it is a black eye on the franchise, and would reveal the truth that people don't find the product compelling, the game day experience is awful, and it could push viewers further away from the team.

I do wish the NFL would threaten a black out though, and I can't for the life of me figure out how the Redskins circumvent these rules.

Posted by: dclance | October 18, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

If you really wanted to find out why sellouts still have some tickets available at game time you would ask the NFL.

The NFL, not the Redskins declare games to be sellouts.

This is just a way for you to get at the redskins.

Posted by: Hondo5 | October 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Haven't had season tickets for the past 4 years, but every other month I get a letter stating I can have my old seats back. They need to just give up on the wait list, if you want tickets you can have tickets

Posted by: davispond | October 18, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

you dont need to justify writing it, commenters who complain are tools with nothing else to do, the only thing worth complaing about is Lavars posts

Posted by: rc2223 | October 18, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Come to earth people! A sellout according to the NFL is not completely selling out the entire stadium. It's a percentage of the tickets. I'm on the wait list and i'm still waiting. If the skins have 85,000 in the stadium every week it will be a sellout. Attendance is down across the league it just looks worse at fed ex and cowgirls stadium because they are bigger than the rest of the stadium. Those tickets available in the picture are the same tickets the skins offered us waitlisters through email through team returns etc... I agree they should just let us waitlisters buy those tickets but thats not how the nfl works. the purple browns organization have the same problem including the selling of tickets to brokers like ASC ticket who the post thought only had a side deal with the redskins. What makes me mad is that holders sell their tickets to opposing tickets or resell for 3 times the value.

Posted by: bza48842002 | October 18, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Just more lies from $nyder. Not surprising in the least.

Posted by: thediesel | October 18, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The first Redskin game I ever went to was one of the 1987 strike replacement player games at RFK. Against the St Louis Cards. Don't remember if the stadium looked full or not.

Posted by: smshadowman | October 18, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Please do keep writing about this.

Service at FedEx has slowly gotten better over the past year or two. I think this has come as the team has tacitly acknowledged that they can't afford to lose any more season ticket holders and need to start pumping some cash back into the fans' game day experience. That they'd spend money on the fans in a way that doesn't directly generate revenue is a 180 reversal from the team's conduct even three or four years ago. At the beginning of Gibbs 2.0, any complaint to the ticket office was met with "fine, don't renew. We'll sell your seats to someone else on the wait list. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out."

Doing away with the waiting list myth and forcing the team into true single game ticket sales will further help the game day experience. This isn't about hating on Snyder, but about making the poor FedEx game day experience better for loyal fans. So long as they're still projecting the myth that we fans are "lucky" to have season tickets, they'll continue to project the myth that as a condition of being lucky to have our seats we need to put up with both the stadium and team's short-comings.

Posted by: wahoo2x | October 18, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yup, and it bugs me that "Rush Hour" in this area actually lasts 3-4 Hours. However, I dont see that phrase being officially changed to suit my interpretation.

This bog (and specifically, this sellout policy topic) reminds me of the lone bar on the other side of town that still allows you to smoke indoors. While we've fielded a competent, competitive team that has re-energized the fan base and gets headlines for wins rather than drama, the dying breed of whiners and negative nancies (most of which had us finishing 3-13 this year) still need a place to vent their conspiracy theories and anti-Snyder venom.

Thank you for continuing to provide that outlet for them, Dan. It's nice to have their rhetoric confined to this dead horse topic, and kept away from the "real" blogs that actually talk about football.

Posted by: SuperSkin | October 18, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SuperSkin | October 18, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Easily the truest words ever written on this blog's comment section. Thank you for writing that SuperSkin.

Am so sick of this topic, words can't even describe it. Why does Steinberg care so much about this, and why does he always make it seem like the Redskins are the only team that does this? Guess whatever it takes to get people to read your blog, and since Redskins tickets are a hot topic always, he'll keep on re-hashing this crap.

Posted by: see-ya | October 18, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Ignore posts like the above writer.

There are a breed of Redskins fans who get angered by any story that places the team in a negative light. This is absolutely a story of interest to the region; the "waiting list", whether real (initially) or mostly myth (the last 5 or so years), is proven to be non-existant. It absolutely deserves coverage, and it doesn't mean the writer automatically has some sort of double-super secret hurt the team agenda by covering it.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 18, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Hondo5: While the league sets the policy for blackouts (i.e. a sellout must be declared 72 hours before kickoff to avoid TV blackout), the individual teams determine if a game is "sold out" or not. An owner may, although he would not be wise to do so, declare a game "sold out" on Saturday, while there still may be several thousand seats remaining. Individual teams must adhere to the NFL "policy" on sellouts, and it is a "policy" only, and the individual teams determine, often week to week, if they have met the "policy" guidelines.

I hope Stein continues to unmask the charade that the Snyder regime has incorporated, not just with tickets, but in other areas as well.

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | October 18, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

If you think this game was bad, wait till the Tampa game. It will look like a pre-season game with tens of thousands of empty seats.

Posted by: cr8oncsu | October 18, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Bog-
Are you sure these aren't the tickets handed back that were alloted to the other team? I know opposing teams get ~500 tickets...so these unsold tickets could just be them.

Posted by: HogsHaven | October 18, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steinlesburger, you're an unimaginative repetitive black-souled idiot.

Posted by: iubiquity | October 18, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steinlesburger, you're an unimaginative repetitive black-souled idiot.

Posted by: iubiquity

From Wikipedia: "Ad hominem abuse (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to invalidate his or her argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions."

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 18, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

"I know I'll get at least six comments telling me I'm an unimaginative repetitive black-souled idiot."

By Dan Steinberg | October 18, 2010; 10:17 AM ET

Posted by: iubiquity | October 18, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Please keep writing about the truth. The Redskins and the NFL continue to say games in "Washington" are sold out. The team insists there is a waiting list for Redskins tickets. And, yet, tickets are available for ALL Redskins games.

Growing up in DC, it was impossible to get Redskins tickets. The team was popular. It played in the city. The owner, while colorful, wasn't a complete tool. Now? The team's a joke, has been for years. And, it's simply not as popular as it once was.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | October 18, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse