Riggins speculates on the final season of Sonny and Sam

I write this not to pick on anyone, but because it's a topic of interest to a whole bunch of Redskins fans. There aren't many names that appear higher in Ye Olde Book of Redskins Lore than Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff, but obviously they won't be part of the radio booth forever. John Riggins recently suggested that this might be the final year.

"This is just coming from me, and it's purely speculative," Riggins said on his own daily show, which appears on WTOP HD-3 and MASN. "But I would say this to everyone who turns into a burgundy and gold game on any given Sunday afternoon from here on out 'til the end of the season, whenever that game is played....Obviously I have nothing to do with that operation, but I think you're listening to the last year of Sonny and Sam. I think that when you listen to that broadcast this fall, store it. Store it in your memory bank, because I don't think it'll be coming this way again."

The main piece of evidence cited by Riggins was the production and promotion of the Sonny/Sam documentary, Brothers of the Legacy, this preseason.

By Dan Steinberg  | October 15, 2010; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ehrlich, O'Malley discuss the Redskins and P.G.
Next: Cooley on Shanahan's adjustments

Comments

So, is Riggins campaigning for one of the spots? We know he doesn't get along with Snyder, but perhaps he is willing to change his tune. Pairing him with Joe Theismann would be the logical next step.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | October 15, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Can we please get rid of Larry Michael pleeeeeeeease!

Posted by: MrWillie | October 15, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Did he give any reason why? I mean, Sam seems a little further out than usual this year, but hell, that's why Sonny and Sam are so great. And if one of them is gone, can we get Brian Mitchell in there?

Posted by: armchairlinebacker | October 15, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Pairing him with Joe Theismann would be the logical next step.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | October 15, 2010 3:16 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: Kev29 | October 15, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

i say let Huff retire. redskins fans love him for everything he gave this franchise as a player and then as a broadcaster, but i feel like he needs to rest. i can hear it in his voice. on the other hand. i feel like sonny is still energetic on the radio. how about Larry, Brian and Sonny? i think that'd be a good team for a few years.

Posted by: destewar | October 15, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Sonny leaving the booth, but I think Sam will. Poor old timer is just way past it - still a legend on and off the field though. A two man booth with Sonny and anybody but Larry (or Mike Patrick) would be good by me.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 15, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I do see Joey T getting in the booth some day.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 15, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

It's time for Sam Huff to retire. Doddering would be a charitable description. Sonny sounds fine and I hope he stays. I've never been impressed with Larry Michael, but I know he's here to stay, given his extreme loyalty to Snyder.

Posted by: drischord | October 15, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I would never trust Riggins's motives. He is not a good person. But poor Sam is way gone. I listened to the first half last week and it was like listening to my father-in-law who has dementia. Sonny constantly had to correct him.

Posted by: MKadyman | October 15, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

dream team - frank herzog, doc walker, darrell green

Posted by: forever21 | October 15, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

4ever

I think Frank is now officially retired.

We need to find a younger guy who can go and be the play by play guy.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 15, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Riggo, Lavar and George Michael would have been money.

Posted by: NickelsLuvsSkins | October 15, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Sonny is still coherent, no reason to get rid of him unless he wants to retire.

Posted by: tha_prophet | October 15, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Never should have gotten rid of Herzog (makes me very skeptical of Snyder's "life long fan" claims -- no real fan would do that). I think we are going to be stuck with Larry Michaels for a long, long time. My guess would be the nightmare scenario of Micheals paired with fellow apologist/company man Theismann. Oh no...

Posted by: dbunkr | October 15, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

It's beyond time for Sam to retire. Sonny is still coherent, and I would have no problem if he stayed on another year.

Even though his play-by-play skills have improved marginally, Larry Michael remains the phoniest, most obnoxious, patronizing media personality in the NFL today. It's like listening to the bastard son of Ron Burgundy and Gordon Gekko's smarm. If it were up to me I would throw the lot out and start a nationwide search for talent/charisma. Given LM's position in the Snyder suck-up heirarchy, I sadly expect to hear LM and Joey Sunshine calling games for the forseeable future.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 15, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to describe how bad this trio is on the radio. Sonny, he's ok, but Sam in laughably bad and Baghdad Larry is just a propaganda machine.

Why can't Jon Miller call football? That would be awesome.

Posted by: kingrob76 | October 15, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Sam is fun to listen to in the same way that your old crazy uncle Ernie is amusing after a couple of beers in front of the TV on Sunday. He's very often flat wrong, but you know that he knew he game back in the day. Sonny is there to laugh and set him straight. I like the chemistry of the team and it's entertaining.

Posted by: CCOLE1 | October 15, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Joey Galloway could join the booth.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | October 15, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

And I think Larry Michael does a good job. (As did Frank Herzog.)

Posted by: ShovelPlease | October 15, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Clean out the whole booth. Especially that Dan Snyder lap dog, Larry Michael. Get rid of him on Redskin Nation as well. Can't watch that show as long as he's hosting. He's just not credible as long as his head remains up Snyder's back side.

Posted by: anw821 | October 15, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

the snyder regime and new fan base can not relate to sonny and sam...their time is over...new favor and interest are needed...why not riggins and theisman...but then again why not mitchell and arrington...both are outspoken

Posted by: wmnatzakanian | October 15, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of Larry Michael, he is terrible.

Posted by: DCFanatic | October 15, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I would never trust Riggins's motives. He is not a good person.

Posted by: MKadyman | October 15, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for weighing in, God.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | October 15, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Clear the Booth and bring in new guys. Some of the local sportscasters would be great.

Posted by: stephenwilson2003@yahoo.com | October 15, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

At one point last Sunday Poor Old Sam asked: 'Was that his first catch today?', referring to Santana Moss. Moss had just minutes earlier had a long catch for a bucnh of yards and it was in fact his 4th or 5th catch of the game. Poor Old Sam needs to waddle his way to the NFL Veterans Retirement Home ASAP!! Thanks for your service, Sam!!

Posted by: tmhuber58 | October 15, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Joe T. and Lavar would be my picks.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | October 15, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, those two are starting to show their age during the broadcasts, and we all knew the day would come when Sam and Sonny were given their gold watches and a retirement banquet, but it still doesn't mean it won't really suck when it finally happens. Some things are an institution - I'd let 'em run until their wheels fall off.

Posted by: ericenderle | October 15, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

/tunes/ in. not turns in.

transcription police

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 15, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Sonny still has it..but Sam is WAY over the hill with his blubbering buffoonery..Unfortunately we're stuck with Larry Michael (I still miss Frank Herzog); so add Brian Mitchell or Doc Walker to the booth and call it a day.

Posted by: JCB9 | October 15, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Add #7 and #44 to the booth....YES!

Posted by: meximala | October 15, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Sam is fading, but without a defensive minded guy to balance Sonny & the offense, the chemistry would be lost. What's Dave Butz up to? And how about getting them to quit the radio tape delay, so we can mute the TV and listen to the radio without the audio being a play behind?

Posted by: VAbeachbum | October 15, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Joe Theismann is such a terrible commentator that he is the one person I will automatically turn the sound off on. The guy never stops talking. He makes Brent Musberger, another motor mouth, seem like he's taken a vow of silence. Furthermore, he never says anything that isn't utterly obvious. I appreciate Theismann being a capable QB when Riggins and the Hogs won the first Super Bowl, but can we please put this guy in the rear view mirror!

Posted by: InTheMiddle | October 15, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I would pay to hear Riggo, Brian Mitchell and LaVar call the whole game. It would be "Hater's"-Fest heaven!

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 15, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Joe Jacoby and Vinny Cerrato, with NewsChannel 8's Glenn Harris doing play-by-play would be a strong team in the booth.

Posted by: HonestBroker1 | October 15, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

When I listen to Larry Michael, I haven't the faintest idea of what's going on in the game. He has got to be the worst play-by-play guy in sports period. Sam Huff is long in the tooth and needs to retire and go eat coconuts and dates. But Sonny is still good and should stay.

Posted by: getitritegov | October 15, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

dream team - frank herzog, doc walker, darrell green

Posted by: forever21 | October 15, 2010 4:12 PM
==================================

that's nice! real nice. herzon and walker. I've never heard Green speak, but those two alone would give a great show.

I wonder what Mark Rypien is doing?

As long as Trevor Matisch stays far, far away, I'll be happy.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | October 15, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Actual transcript from a game in 2008:

Huff: "They should run right more. They do great running right. Never left, nothing to the left."

A couple minutes pass.

Huff: "The should run left more. All the yards are to the left."
Jurgensen: "You just said they need to run right."
Huff: "No I didn't. You quarterbacks don't know right from left."
Jurgensen: "But I do know brain damage when I hear it."
Huff: "They can't run right. All the linebackers are over there."
Jurgensen: "Shut up, you old Feeb."

Posted by: kingrob76 | October 16, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Poor old Sam needs to go, replace him with DOC

Posted by: drewkinnear | October 16, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Theisman??? Please. He's the only one that could make me want to listen to the game with the sound turned down!!!

Posted by: Really18 | October 16, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who wants doc walker as a radio guy is a fool. The guy is a complete blowhard who doesn't offer any insights at all. He's AWFUL.

Posted by: poguesmahone | October 16, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Without question, Frank Herzog is and will ALWAYS be THE voice of the Washington Redskins. There was no one else who could call a game on the radio and make you feel like you were right there.

Forget about his lap dog status; Larry Michael can't announce his way out of a paper bag. That man needs to be shown the door and quick.

Retired? How many times have we seen athletes UN-retire? I don't think it would be any different for broadcasters. I'd like to think that Herzog would consider a return with the right people.

Riggins would definitely be one of them and those two could probably do it by themselves. For defense, Darrell Green is the first person that comes to mind but if we can't get him, go for Charles Mann.

I agree the broadcast booth needs an overhaul, and that it needs to include Larry Michael in it.

Posted by: HouseBowlrz | October 16, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Larry Michael needs to go ASAP. If Sam is past it, I bet Sonny retires too.

If that happens, I'd hire a seasoned play-by-play guy. I think he's contracted to CBS, but Don Criqui is always good on the radio.

As for Redskins color commentators, the possible pairings are endless:

Mark May / Ken Harvey
Jeff Bostic / Charles Mann
Joe Theismann / Darrell Green
Joe Bugel / John Riggins

Posted by: ellinwoods | October 17, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Apparently just about every commenter on this message board has somehow missed what's happened between Radio Free Snyder and Lavar, Riggo, and B. Mitch over the last few years. Not a chance any one of them works for him again. Which is okay by me since, as JohnWWW states above, it would just be "Hater's Fest." I hate Snyder as much as anyone, but has anyone else noticed that when the 3 of these guys hate, they always have to follow it up with an hour long discourse about how "now, I'm not just hatin', I'm tellin' it like it is... cuz that's how I always been... I don't back down from nobody... that's how I played... and I don't care if you call me a hater.. I'm just callin' it like I see it, you know... and that's me, you know"

Posted by: SHLL | October 18, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse