Riggleman: Nats will make move by mid-'12

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

"Things can change so quick nowadays," Nats skipper Jim Riggleman said on the Mike Wise Show Thursday morning. "We feel like we've had some really good drafts the last couple of years and that's gonna be the determining factor as to how quick we can really make a move in the National League....I think that by the middle of the year '12, that our ballclub could really be putting some pressure on the rest of the division."

Middle of 2012, eh? That's cool, since that pretty well meshes with the front office's message in recent years.

Frank Robinson, Feb. 2006: "I feel this organization is not that far away from being a real good ballclub and on a consistent basis challenging for the playoffs."

Stan Kasten, Oct. 2006: "I now believe, after my first 60 days on the job...that we're going to be able to do this faster than I thought."

Stan Kasten, Feb. 2007: "We don't yet know the identity of the players who will win 90 to 100 games here. But a lot more of them are already on this club now than was the case in Atlanta. I suspect we'll be a good team sooner than anybody expects."

Thomas Boswell, May 2007: "The Nationals' future is arriving fast, and much of it suddenly is well ahead of schedule."

Mark Lerner, Jan. 2008:
"What would make me happiest would be winning a World Series in 2008. One of my character traits, I must confess, is believing in extraordinary expectations....I have a new set of expectations for this team scribbled down on a sealed envelope that I may show you at the end of the 2008 season. You come to every game and you'll be able to see by the expression on my face whether those expectations are being met."

Stan Kasten, June 2008: "When you look at the pieces we need for a contending team, how many are here now?" said Kasten, who can't get enough of his five youngsters -- Milledge, Flores, Dukes, Zimmerman and John Lannan, as well as Kearns, Jon Rauch, a healthy Cordero and several potentially solid "bridge" players, such Cristian Guzmán, Tim Redding and Ronnie Belliard. "I'm not going to say what I think the number is right now and how close we might be -- that is, when we're healthy -- because people might say I'm crazy."

Manny Acta, January, 2009: "I pray for health, and if we're healthy we are going to surprise a lot of people again."

Stan Kasten, June 2009: "I said this (past) winter, for me, the 2010 season was dedicated to finding three consistent solid, long-term, major league starters. Because if I got three and I got some help from the draft, then we would be ready to go. And let me tell you--it is clear to me now and I think those of you that are fans will agree--not only are we going to find three solid starters out of this group, but we are going to find more than three starters."

Stan Kasten, Aug. 2009: "You can't get me to look past 2010...This is really doable. I'm not talking about '11. I'm talking about '10."

Stan Kasten, March 2010: "It really is tantalizingly close. I think you will see us move closer to our eventual goals over the course of this upcoming year, and 2011 we expect to be a really serious contending year."

Stan Kasten, July 2010: "If everybody's healthy, we should be thinking about not just competing but even contending next year. That's what I'm thinking about, that's what our whole organization should be thinking about and is thinking about."

By Dan Steinberg  | October 28, 2010; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Here's your John Wall bobblehead
Next: Charlie Hustle 'n' Flow? Hoyas ballplayer records hip-hop tunes

Comments

Glad to see you call out Boswell; until roughly a year ago, he was drinking the Lerners' kool aid by the bucket full.

Posted by: swanni | October 28, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

This is the most awesome part of the blog post: "Stan Kasten, June 2008: "who can't get enough of his five youngsters -- Milledge, Flores, Dukes, Zimmerman and John Lannan, as well as Kearns, Jon Rauch, a healthy Cordero and several potentially solid "bridge" players, such Cristian Guzmán, Tim Redding and Ronnie Belliard.

Out of 11 players listed as two years ago's near future, exactly two are likely to be every day Nats for 2011: Zimmerman and Lannan.

That's an 81% failure rate. How pathetic is that when it comes to talent evaluation?

Posted by: wahoo2x | October 28, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I can safely predict that in 2012 the Nats will be one of the most profitable teams in MLB.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | October 28, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | October 28, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Rigs,

Thanks for giving me a reason not to renew my season tickets in 2011.

All the Best,

Your 500 or remaining paying customers

Posted by: Rhino20 | October 28, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

PG69 has it right...profit is all the Lerners care about.....They know they can lose 100 games and top the Forbes list yet every year....They are laughing everyday at how easy it is to make money in baseball. Thanks Bud....great choice of ownership groups.....Jackass!

Posted by: JayBeee | October 28, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

If Boswell writes one more time about the great Nats improvement of 10 games in 2010 I think my head will pop off. Ten games from 103 losses? Puleeze. The Nats had a great first 6 weeks of the season and then were horrific and probably on a course for more than 103 losses from that point on.
All Riggleman is doing is trying to save his tush by setting the bar low. He'll need to set it even lower. Nats will most likely blow right by 103 losses next season. And then what will Boz and DoubleSwitch say?

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | October 28, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

The only move the Nats will make is dumping another high-priced player when he wants to get paid. I thought the O's had the worst owner in sports but the Nats are doing a nice job of one-upping them.

Posted by: calhokie | October 29, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse