Shanahan knows EVERYTHING

A few quick notes before the weekend.

Tickets

As always, the Redskins sent out a notice on Tuesday alerting fans to the availability of "player/sponsor ticket returns," face value seats for Sunday's sold-out home game.

"Due to the limited number of tickets, we expect that they will be sold out quickly," the notice said.

I'm not sure we have the same definition of quickly. As of 3 p.m. on Friday, the Ticketmaster link was offering me at least two different options for eight seats together in the 400 level.

In related news, I'm having a party at my house Friday night. It's technically sold out, but if you knock on the door, you can come in.

(As of this writing, StubHub only has 440 tickets for Sunday's game, starting at around $70, though there aren't many at that price.)

Cooley on Shanahan

Chris Cooley was asked by the Junkies Friday morning whether preparation for game days is different under Kyle Shanahan than under Jim Zorn.

"It's way different, and it's good when you sit down and you know the guy knows everything," Cooley said. "The dude knows everything. And that's the other thing about going to the Shanahans, Mike knows everything that happens here. If I say one thing to you guys, we're talking about it."

So does the Mastermind actually listen to sports radio?

"I don't think he does," Cooley said. "[But] he's informed."

If you recall, last week Cooley said there was a 75 to 80 percent chance the Redskins would beat the Eagles. He said the number would be similar this week.

McNabb's Pre-game Speech

We've all seen Donovan McNabb's post-game speech, but I hadn't yet seen his pre-game speech until watching this NFL Films clip.

"Let's go, it starts from the very beginning," he said in the huddle. "This ain't nothing but a normal game but one that we need. Let's play like it today, make 'em pay for even stepping on the schedule today. Let's go, get it in here, Skins on 3."

Even in the privacy of the field, he's calling it a normal game. Amazing.

Also, the segment showed the un-bleeped post-game speech. I assumed McNabb had swore when praising the defense during the bleeped part, but what he actually said was "in the second half you stood strong for us." Weird.

Smoot Still Unemployed

Jill Sorenson caught up with Fred Smoot for the NFL Players Association podcast. He and his wife moved to Atlanta and he's making business moves while still waiting for the phone to ring.

"I'm waiting on a team to make the best decision of the year, and that's come sign me," he told Sorenson.

He also repeated his oft-voiced hope of entering the front-office ranks.

"I think I could really be a good GM," Smoot said. "And I'm gonna give Dan Snyder a call and ask him can I come and sit in and kind of learn how to be a GM and learn what it takes to be a GM, because I looked it up and I don't think there's a college course you can take for it."

South Park Does PTI

Finally, there was this. Seen below.

By Dan Steinberg  | October 8, 2010; 3:31 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Writing about the Bullets in the '40s
Next: Mike Green fights Kovalchuk

Comments

Ticketmaster/NFL has 1233 tickets available for the Cowboys/Titans game in Dallas --> http://bit.ly/b5lVuD

Posted by: jf317820 | October 8, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Ticketmaster/NFL has 236 tickets available for the Redskins/Packers game in Washington --> http://bit.ly/bj7ZLc

Posted by: jf317820 | October 8, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Smoot wants to learn how to be a GM from the Danny, and not from our "GM" Allen!!!! See even the players think Danny is the GM. Sad ..Sad....Sad

Posted by: ocskins | October 8, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

FYI, Row 29 is the last row of the upper deck.

Posted by: CapsNut | October 8, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@jfnumbers, the links you provided are to a secondary market site, where people can re-sell seats on Ticketmaster. I'm talking about face-value, direct-from-the-team seats.

And CapsNut, I didn't know that, but I'm pretty sure the last row of the upper deck doesn't get a sell-out exemption. Tho I love the idea of giving visiting players seats in the very top row.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | October 8, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@DanSteinberg1: fair enough

Posted by: jf317820 | October 8, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for trying to get the game blacked out, Jason LaCanReida.

Posted by: janpower2 | October 8, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Never have understood the WaPo's obsession with mocking the Redskins waiting list, mocking the availability of a few Redskins tickets, etc. Until a year ago, Fed Ex was by far the largest stadium in the NFL. 90,000 people will pay to see the Redskins play on Sunday...honestly who cares that a few tickets remain available 2 days before the game?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 8, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

yet another bog post about the same lame and tired obsession with the Redskins and their tickets.

The NFL has declared the game a sellout, why shouldnt the redskins? Dan I love you work, but this subject is getting old, move on.

Posted by: Hondo5 | October 8, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I love the Redskins (even after last season - shudddder). I would be really pi$$ed if a game was ever blacked out.

That said, I think what Dan is doing here is completely justified. The point of it all is this: the team says one thing, but seems to be doing something very different.

For example, the team advertises that all of its game are sold out. Then, the team seems to be directly marketing game tickets just days before the game is set to begin. This implies that the game is not, in fact, sold out.

The team also advertises a huge waiting list for buying season tickets. Then, the team sends out mail advertisements for buying season tickets, implying that there is not, in fact, a waiting list for buying season tickets. (Or that the team is ignoring the waiting list and hard selling season tickets to strangers for some reason.)

I don't think Dan is trying to "take down the team," in fact the Redskins help him generate huge web traffic. Instead, he is doing what most journalists think is important: holding public and private institutions accountable for their words and deeds. Yes, its just sports, but I still don't want the Redskins organization lying to the public - to me - about anything.

The goal should not be to try to get Dan to stop questioning, but rather to get the Redskins to stop doing these kinds of questionable things. And if Dan is wrong, then I am sure once he is given a satisfactory explanation for these apparent contradictions he will move on to updating us about Fedex field urinal cakes, fan facial hair, and the like.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 8, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

The one cool thing for me being a Skins fan who did the east to west coast move is that I won't face a blackout. Living in Arizona I have seen it happen to Cards fans countless time..Not since the new stadium however. That will change soon.

The thing I'm most pissed off about is the fact that this country is in the midst of the worst recession in nearly a century and the NFL can't lift these blackouts despite the fact they are raking billions out of this economy??

It's just a joke. and to think we probably wont have a season next year.

Posted by: skins91r | October 9, 2010 6:03 AM | Report abuse

Never have understood the WaPo's obsession with mocking the Redskins waiting list...honestly who cares that a few tickets remain available 2 days before the game?

Posted by: Barno1

Drink the Kool Aid, baby. The Redskins have sold out their bajillonth game! The waiting list has 500 million names on it. Dan's sorry for the past 2 years!

It's ALL truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth!

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | October 9, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hondo5

Well if the NFL has declared it so, and if the Redskins have declared it so, then by god let's not spend one second challenging it. That's what's wrong with the liberal, agenda-driven media. QUESTION the NFL? QUESTION the Redskins? EVERYTHING they say is true, already, Dan. Even the stuff we know to be untrue... it's true, Dan. So: stop. The NFL has declared the game sold out. IT IS SOLD OUT! Stoooooooooooooooop!

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | October 9, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

excellent points capscapscaps. this situation is very obviously an example of liberal media bias. You keep doing what you're doing, the path to truth, fairness, and social justice begins with the redskins' attendance figures.

Posted by: briffy | October 9, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

SHANAHAN DOES NOT KNOW EVERYTHING.

His handling of Devin Thomas will come back to haunt this franchise for years. Mark my words: Thomas will be a solid WR in the NFL for years to come.

For those of you that are not appalled by this, please don't complain anymore about building through the draft and valuing our draft picks. We just cut a 2nd round pick without even letting him see the field, except on kick returns--oh which he excelled at, too). I don't need to wish you luck DT11, because you don't need it...you'll be just fine in this league for the next oh 7, 8 years.

Shanahan does not know everything.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry - Thomas has seen the field and has what 40 receptions to prove that FACT? Now if he hasn't seen the field under Shanny, there is a reason. I can safely assume that Thomas would have a difficult time mastering a 1 page playbook.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 9, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Coaches and GMs make mistakes all the time, even the best. And this will turn out to be a huge mistake for the Skins.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

SHANAHAN DOES NOT KNOW EVERYTHING.

Shanahan does not know everything.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2010 1:31 PM

Wait, Barno1, why don't you comment on RI where the news first broke?

Posted by: hithere1 | October 9, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 defended Cerrato and Zorn, and now is criticizing Shanahan.

You, sir, are on the wrong side of history.

PS: You are afraid to post comments on RI after your embarrassing last season defense of Cerrato, Sherman Lewis, and Zorn Star, aren't you?

Posted by: hithere1 | October 9, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I've never been an every day commenter on RI, there are too many knuckleheads over there. That said, your theory that I am too "embarrassed" to post comments is pretty rich. There's only a few problems with this otherwise rock solid theory. 1) Though I haven't been an every day commenter on RI in a few years, I did post some comments there quite recently 2) I never defended Sherman Lewis. 3) Ditto for Jim Zorn. 4) My only defense of Vinny over the years was that he had an eye for talent. I still think he does and am not afraid to say it. 5) Just because Shanny cut people doesn't necessarily mean he was right about those players. 6) Look at where the guys he has dumped have ended up: Mitchell is with the Vikings. Rinehart is with the Jets. Tryon is with the Colts. And Devin Thomas will have his choice of several teams.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I bought 2 Club Level seats for the Houston game from a scalper on game day. Total cost? $100 bucks.....

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 10, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2010 8:26 PM (on DC Sports Bog)

Classic. Just classic, Barno1.

Don't forget Scott Campbell, director of player personnel during the Vinny years that you so yearn for. He oversaw the mid-late rounds of the draft and undrafted free agent talent, which could explain Chris Horton, Kareem Moore, and Lorenzo Alexander.

D. Thomas, M. Kelly, and Fred Davis were all Cerrato. I love how you stick up for D. Thomas despite his never showing much! I think it's a huge indictment of Thomas that he could not catch on here (get it?) despite the huge need for a number 2 receiver behind Moss.

And your defense of Cerrato implies a defense of the past front office structure, which is also just classic on your part. Keep yearning for the year of 4-12, baby!

Posted by: hithere1 | October 10, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Someone tell barno that the great MMitchell is no longer with the Vikings but like his outlook for DT, MM has his choice of 32 teams to play for.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 10, 2010 9:46 AM

Posted by: hithere1 | October 10, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

The whole problem with Barno is he should be embarrassed but he isn't.

Posted by: mack1 | October 10, 2010 9:57 AM

Posted by: hithere1 | October 10, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hithere1 | October 10, 2010 9:40 AM

You're an idiot dude. You try desperately to credit someone else for all the good players we've acquired through the years, and blame Cerrato for all the busts. You lose any credibility when you refuse to acknowledge facts that don't support your argument. An honest person takes the good with the bad. You can't say Alexander, Horton, Moore etc were someone else's picks and then say Kelly, Durant, etc were all Cerrato.

And I never defended the previous front office structure. I have always said we needed a GM with autonomy ever since the day we let Casserly go.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 10, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The whole problem with Barno is he should be embarrassed but he isn't.

Posted by: mack1 | October 10, 2010 9:57 AM

Posted by: hithere1 | October 10, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Don't quite get this. I should be embarrassed because I think we made a mistake by cutting Devin Thomas? Okayyy.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 10, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse