Shanahan vs. Aikman on Haynesworth

Here's a little game I like to play called "Guess the Haynesworth Quote." Here's how it works: I print a quote about Albert Haynesworth, uttered either by Skins Coach Mike Shanahan or Fox broadcaster Troy Aikman. Then you get to guess who said what.

1) "Albert Haynesworth has not been a factor in this game."

2) "Let me say this: The more he plays like that, the more he's going to play."

3) "Max Jean-Gilles is able to really push him wherever he wanted to."

4) "There's no question it was by far his best football game. I thought he handled himself, they had a couple holding penalties against him. He had pressure on the quarterback, he pushed the pocket. Obviously made some big plays in the game that you want a defensive lineman to have."

Well, that's what's great about a democracy. People are allowed to disagree.

Just for the record, here were the two holding penalties Haynesworth drew. The first, pictured above, came on Michael Vick's 23-yard scramble to the Washington 1-yard line. So instead of first-and-goal from the doorstep, the Eagles had a 3rd-and-16, and they wound up with just a field goal.

The second, pictured below, came on a 14-yard pass to Jason Avant in the fourth quarter that would have given Philly 1st-and-10 at the Redskins' 35. Instead, they had a 1st-and-20 in their own territory, and wound up punting.

I don't think it's a stretch to directly credit those holding calls for saving 11 points. I'd call that a factor.

(First Shanahan quote via his press conference, second via his interview with CSN's Kelli Johnson.)

By Dan Steinberg  | October 5, 2010; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: ESPN's Daniel Snyder profile
Next: Cooley on Eagles fans

Comments

Orakpo drew a couple of holds too, didn't he?

Posted by: JeffNYC | October 5, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Can someone get the numbers? I think the skins may have more holds against their defense than any other team in the NFL.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Troy Aikman is out of his wheelhouse when talking about DL play. I would trust Haslett before I trust Aikman.

Ron Jaworski is smart enough to stick to analyzing quarterbacks and offensive systems, things he is familiar with already.

I wouldn't believe Aikman about DTs any more than I would believe Darrell Green in analyzing the Redskins quarterbacks.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 5, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Troy Aikman is a redskin hater. He had nothing but junk to say about the Redskins this past sunday against the Eagles on every other play we ran. Everything he said is a ex-cowboy bias oppinion and he should never be allowed to broadcast a redskin game every again because of his bia oppinions towards the redskin team. He must go.

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | October 5, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I guess Troyboy wasn't impressed with Lavar either?

Posted by: dwiggins72 | October 5, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@dwiggins72 : Low blow, my friend. Or would that be a blow to the head?

Posted by: osiuerer | October 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Troy is just bitter that a Redskins player was directly responsible for his retirement.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Had to vent. Troy was killing me Sunday.

Posted by: dwiggins72 | October 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Troy is a tad bitter that a redskin knocked him back to his playing days at UCLA... Fat Al did his job and played pretty agressive... he had 4 tackles and a deflected pass.... that's being a factor as a DL.... all I can say is.. it is about time Al!

Posted by: rvanags | October 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"Troy Aikman is a redskin hater."

Yeah, he was laying it on the Redskins this past Sunday I thought.

He's just mad because a Hog outshined one of his team mates at Canton this past summer. :P

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 5, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can pair two more uptight stickupthebutt bore-rons than these 2. Worse than having Dennis Miller or Kornheiser in the booth. They add zero to broadcasts.

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@kahlua87 : I miss Kornheiser in the booth. I know I'm a minority, but at least he brings some sense of enjoyment and excitement to the game.

Buck and Aikman couldn't be more low-key without being asleep.

Posted by: osiuerer | October 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Troy and Joe is way better than Darryl Johnston and anyone. Can't wait til Cooley is in the broadcast booth

Posted by: moo21 | October 5, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I too miss Kornheiser, every chance I get,arrogant buffoon that he is.

Posted by: chopin224 | October 5, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Who here really thinks we are getting our money's worth from AH? That was an average performance from a guy that is getting paid to dominate.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | October 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Troy, your team is in first place...if you turn the newspaper upside down.

Posted by: chopin224 | October 5, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

One has to wonder if Joe and Troy will still be complaining about the end of the first half of the Iggles game while they're calling the Skins-Packers game this week...

And because we already know that those two will be calling the game on Sunday, I'm glad I have a ticket to the game and don't have to listen to them again this week.

Posted by: CapsNut | October 5, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | October 5, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

More evidence that Skins fans are the most delusional fans on earth. Aikman is the best in the business and goes out of his way time and again to compliment Skins players. How many times has he said Portis is his favorite NFL player? Can you imagine Joe Theisman saying something like that about a current Cowboy?

He was wrong about Haynesworth, so what... that doesn't mean he is a biased hack. Seriously people, get a grip.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 5, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it... I think Aikman has gone out of his way to not be a "homer" during his announcing career. I really don't get the impression that he is a Skins hater, at least not during his broadcasts.

Though I do admit he seemed off base in his criticism of Big Al this past Sunday. The only thing I can think of is that he is comparing his play Sunday to what he had done in Tennessee and not to what he has done during his time with the Skins.

Posted by: BSVA | October 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Aikman is horrible. He has scrambled cowpie for brains, thanks to Lavar. Put Riggo in the booth, all he would need is a keg and a mic. That's entertainment.

Posted by: Eradicator | October 5, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Barno1:
Troy is the best in the business at getting his career ended by Lavar Arrington. That's it.

Posted by: jjhare | October 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Aikman and Buck are one of the worst teams on TV, if it weren't for the abysmal delay between satellite and radio I'd put Sonny and Sam on for away games. Buck had Vick on the field at least 5 times in the 2nd half and Aikmen kept misidentifing the Skins secondary. I'm guessing they just ran out of things to say duirng the third quarter when they turned to Terry Bradshaw for help.
I thought, all things considered, this was actually Albert's best game as a Redskin this year. He actually appeared to be making an effort on some plays, which is more than I have seen during the previous games. That's not to say he is playing anywhere near his potential, but he is playing a lot better than he was playing during preseason and during the earlier games. Hopefully, he will continue to improve. Maybe by the bye week he will be up to full speed and actually playing that way.

Posted by: drmammal1 | October 5, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Aikman's usually been overly fair to the Skins, maybe to fight a bias? But yeah, on AH he was blind. AH either had two on him or, minus a few Orakpo blitzes, was routinely the closest guy to the QB. He's a good player. I'm just scared he's lost some motivation.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

troy aikman is a highly overrated gasbag

Posted by: bestmick1 | October 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Aikman was just searching for things to say and got caught up in the 'pick on po lil Albert' frenzy. Troy is middle of the road at his job. Joe Buck just reminds me of a 80 lb high school jock sniffer.

Posted by: Ratzoe | October 5, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Joe Buck & Troy Aikman is BY FAR the best commentator duo the NFL has. Troy Aikman is as impartial a player-turned-analyst as you'll find anywhere. Being a hardcore Skins fan, I want to hate the idea of him being on my TV all the time, and I still can't do it.

Dick Stockton is an ass and he hates everything about the Redskins for some reason... why wasn't anyone complaining last week?

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | October 5, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Troy called CR#22's propensity for dropping interceptions on the money.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | October 5, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who doesn't think AH had an impact is a moron. In fact, I would for sure say this was his best performance of the season. He filled his gaps correctly. and on the first eagles possessions haynesworth made stops, theoretically by himself. which led to our large lead. on the first drive he pushed the nose tackle back and nearly had a sack as vick wasnt expecting it. on the next drive, on 3rd and 1, mind you, he collapsed the pocket and got the rb with one yard to go= punt. he had so many game defining moment. yet he never plays...

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | October 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | October 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I thought AH had a mixed game. He was pushed into one tackle by the offensive lineman. He did get some pressure, other times he was knocked out of the play. His motor is not consistent. Other teams are making big gains on our defense on almost every play. It starts in the middle. Or you can put the blame on Orakpo, Fletcher, McIntosh, or other defensive players. We are weak at Nose Tackle no matter who has played the position. If the NT clogged the middle or got penetration the play would be made at the line of scrimmage rather than in the defensive backfield.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | October 5, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Barno1:

Posted by: jjhare | October 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Okay guy. Many, many fans feel Aikman is the best color commentator in football. This is not debatable.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 5, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

For anyone that thinks Haynesworth was not effective enough this past Sunday, I have a couple of comments for you.

1) Sacks are the most OVERRATED stat for defensive players. Lots of players raise their sack numbers at the expense of defensive responsibilities. (uh umm... Bruce Smith)

2) Offensive lineman are supposed to win more than fifty percent of the battles. They know the snap count and where the ball is going. So, trying to say that Haynesworth was just "average" because he was blocked well on some plays is way off.

I hope that he has turned the corner and is ready to fill the role the Skins need him to fill.

Posted by: SportzWiz | October 5, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Aikman and Buck are two of the better pairs in the world of NFL television. That's not saying much, though, because most of them are stuffed shirts or washed-up ex-jocks who didn't want to go get a real job after they retired.

Aikman definitely missed the call about Haynesworth. He played a solid game, and you can believe that's true because his #1 detractor, Mike Shanahan, spoke very clear praise for his effort.

Posted by: SkinsfaninNebraska | October 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Actually, no one mentioned the most ridiculous babbling by Troy and Joe last Sunday - the too much time penalty after the timeout at the end of the first half. All that nonsense about it being the official's fault when even Reid admitted it was his fault. Of course, like every other telecaster in the 21st century they also have to drone on and on breaking down every pixel of a two-dimensional image at an unknown angle that everyone calls "instant" replay.

Posted by: truke | October 5, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

is it me or my selective dyslexia, but the name barno reminds me of the circus

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 5, 2010 3:14 PM |

I don't, and neither do you deep down inside

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 5, 2010 12:44 PM |

**********************************************

THANK YOU !!!! Aikman is one of the best broadcasters on any network, and is as unbiased as anyone. Listening him talk about Portis was quite refreshing (he loves him!!) without sounding like he is pulling his willy over him (the way Johnny Miller sounds when talking about Eldrick on PGA broadcasts). And yes he was wrong about AH, so what? Nobody is perfect. And D line play is not his #1 strength. But he is a good man in the booth. When he first came on, I thought "oh boy, we are going to have to listen to him talk Dallas for 3 hours." Surprisingly, not the case. Even when he does a Cowboys game, you would not know he play for them for 12 (or whatever) years. My hat's off to Troy. Him and Gruden are the 2 best for NFL coverage.

Posted by: scoot21 | October 5, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Aikman is not a Redskin fan.....
His comment on an errant McNabb throw - "I have NO idea what he saw".
His comment on an errant Kolb throw - "His timing was a little off is all".

Cannot stand the guy.

Posted by: JONJJ | October 5, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Can we all get along?
Is it Sunday yet?

Posted by: abxinc | October 5, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Aikman is not a Redskin fan.....
His comment on an errant McNabb throw - "I have NO idea what he saw".
His comment on an errant Kolb throw - "His timing was a little off is all".

Cannot stand the guy.

Posted by: JONJJ | October 5, 2010 9:27 PM

*****************************************

Get a grip there JonJ. Didn't we already cut you, and then you were cut by (giggle giggle) Detroit??
And I had no idea what McNabb was throwing to on that play either.

Posted by: scoot21 | October 5, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

In fact, some people on here are so blinded by Dallas rage that they cannot see the forest for the trees. If only we had that much pizzazz for the other 14 games, instead of having to use a silent count on our own field (Pitt. game last year). I swear some of you Dallas haters would choose a 2-14 season (beating Dallas twice) over a 14-2 season (losing twice to Dallas). Get a grip. You want biased?? Turn on a Jim Nance broadcast. He wants to make love to Peyton Manning via the microphone.

Posted by: scoot21 | October 5, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Troy Aikman is one of the worst and most biased commentators on any professional sports telecast. And while I have long held that Phil Simms is a blithering idiot who is so full of himself that he gives birth to himself each time he goes to the toilet, I found that Aikman is the most arrogant, condescending, misinformed, biased, uninformed, and completely unrealistic commentator on television. This is sad because he did play the game - you'd not know it listening to him. I do suppose that the hit he took by LaVar impacted his intelligence and ability to communicate, but Aikman reached a new low during the Eagles game.

I ended up complaining to Fox sports and suggest others do likewise. We cannot tolerate such blatant and biased coverage of sports by a former player. At one time I considered him and Emmitt Smith as the only Cowboys that I respected, but both players have showed this year that they are simply pathetic cowpukes - Emmitt's hall of fame speech was so full of him and his arrogance that he deserved to be boo'd. And now Aikman is simply a Cowpie wearing a tie.

Aikman knows jack. And he should be shunned.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

The only person who could possibly a dumber remark would be Larry Michael.

Aikman's remarks aside, how can anyone, ANYONE, enjoy listening to Joe Buck or Tony Kornheiser.

If there was an award for being a self-promoting broadcaster, it would be called the Howard Cosell/Dan Rather Self Promotion Award. Kornheiser and Buck would be perennial contenders for this award. They ought to stick to calling the game, instead of

Feel free to nominate other irritating broadcasters for this award.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 6, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

aikman is an idiot, big albert was dominate.

Posted by: ceara21 | October 6, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I think AH must have made all his plays in the first quarter (which I missed), because he was invisible the rest of the game. He looked like a non-factor for the three quarters of the game that I watched. I think I saw him make one tackle and the rest of the time get pushed all around the field.

Posted by: bthomas7777 | October 9, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse