Posted at 12:24 PM ET, 11/24/2010

Albert Haynesworth on perspective and the future

By Dan Steinberg

Combine Thanksgiving with a win, and you can get a feel-good story about anything. And thus, Albert Haynesworth's appearance on Tuesday night's episode of TBD's Parker and Parker felt good. Why just look, there's a visual of a smiling Haynesworth hugging a smiling fan while Redskins COO Dave Donovan smiles in the background.

"Man, it was fun," Haynesworth said on the program. "We don't really get a chance to do that [very often], and for people really to think that we're something special in the community is awesome. Because what everybody really loses sight of is that we're just playing a game. It's not like being a soldier, protecting this country, defending this country. It's not like that. It's just honestly a game for entertainment, and for people to just light up like that to see us is unbelievable."

A host of Redskins dignitaries, including Tanya Snyder, were at the team's official turkey giveaway event, and Haynesworth was asked about his journey from offseason lightning rod to Thanksgiving week helper.

"I mean, the community really has nothing to do with all that business aspect of the game," he said. "So that doesn't change anything. I mean, we're totally fine. There's no animosity towards each other; that's me or the organization. I mean, we're fine. Now everybody's like, 'Well, you're not starting or anything like that.' No, I'm not, but I'm getting to play and I'm getting to play the way i like to play, moving around and doing a lot of crazy stuff. So if I have to sacrifice not starting for that, I will. Last year, I started all the games, but I felt like I was just there for an attraction. Now, I feel like I'm really getting to be able to use my skills and talents, and help the organization."

And next year?

"I mean, we've seen the last few games, since iI stopped playing the nose stuff or the 3-4 stuff, how my production's gone up," Haynesworth said. "All I'm trying to do is go out there and show that if you put me in the right situations, we're gonna be productive, it's not a bad fit for us. So that's why I go out there and play as hard as I do, just to show 'em what I can do. I mean, if they choose next year not to really use the nickel or [to use] me or whatever they decide to do, that's fine, too. But I'm still showing everybody that no matter how much money I get, that I'm still gonna be that dominant player that I was in '07 and '08."

No animosity. No hard feelings. No bad headlines. No bad sound bites. Except, I guess, when Haynesworth was asked whether he'd be disciplined at the Thanksgiving table.

"Uhhh, I don't know if I can say hell, but hell no," he said. "I'm gonna do fried turkey, my girl she's cooking like a sausage stuffing, a friend's bringing all kind of pies. Just all kinds of crazy stuff."

By Dan Steinberg  | November 24, 2010; 12:24 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland field hockey national title: the radio call
Next: Mike Milbury: Ovechkin is like Ochocinco

Comments

I'm sorry, Dan, the wife of the Redskins owner is a "Redskins dignitary"? Has the royal wedding knocked the sense out of you?

Posted by: dcborn61 | November 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"So that's why I go out there and play as hard as I do, just to show 'em what I can do."

Yeah...like lie on the ground while Vick runs all over the place.

Posted by: Bebunk | November 24, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see the Washington Post finally covering some of the Redskins charitable endeavors. It's still nowhere near the amount of coverage the used to give Abe Pollin's charitable work, but it's a step in the right direction. This team under Snyder has done far more for the community than any owner in any sport that I'm aware of. The amount of time and money they give back is simply incredible and it's good that the Post is starting to put aside their grudges and finally report on this stuff.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 24, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Lot of bad blood between the Owner and the guys at the post Barno, its going to take years to repair the damages and I don't think its even clear if they have started that work.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Dan, why does the link from the WaPo Redskins home page still point to the Texans game? I had no problem modifying the URL to get here, but still...

Posted by: pyrotech | November 28, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse