Posted at 3:01 PM ET, 11/16/2010

Chad Dukes Sledgehammers the Redskins

By Dan Steinberg

I'm choosing to take a ho-hum attitude about Monday night's debacle, for a variety of reasons. Others are being less ho-hum.

Chad Dukes, for example, went stark raving bonkers on the entire organization during the opening segment of his 106.7 The Fan radio show on Tuesday afternoon. This absolutely needs to be heard to be appreciated, and every sentence needs to be treated LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, but I'll provide a few highlights.

* "The Washington Redskins owe us. The Washington Redskins owe me, and they owe everybody else that has ever taken crap from Cowboys fans, that has ever not jumped on the Patriots' or the Steelers' bandwagon, that has remained loyal in this melting pot, you owe us money. We are not whores, and you are not our pimps....You owe us money, and you owe us an apology, because you went out there, and you half-assed it."

* "On national television, with your season on the line, against a divisional opponent, how DARE you conduct yourself that way."

* "You're a joke, from the top down. Every single person on that team deserves to lose their job today. Every. Single. Person. How dare you not turn in your keys, how dare you not go out to Ashburn and say here's my key card."

* "GO SCREW....Boo them off the field, and then leave and go home and go on with your life....It's not just one game. It's 28 points in the first quarter against the Eagles with your season on the line....How dare you. You're an embarrassment. You embarrassed the nation's capital, the most powerful city in the world, you spit in our face last night. You spit. Having Albert Haynesworth do the worm on the field, and they've got it on video?....You capitalize, every single year, off the sweat and the blood of the people that built this franchise, you capitalize off it. You bilk us out of our money, I'm paying $500 for John Riggins jerseys for my old man for Christmas because of what happened before you came here Dan Snyder, before you came here. Tired's not the word; wounded's the word.....You kill me. YOU MAKE ME SICK."

And so on. Please do listen.

Then there's this column from ESPN.com's Gregg Easterbrook. One highlight:

One of the amusements of the nation's capital area, where TMQ lives, is Chainsaw Dan Snyder's 12-year effort to demolish the Washington Redskins. Every year you think it's finally happened -- Snyder has made every possible boneheaded blunder, and the Redskins at last can recover from his misrule. Every year you're wrong -- Snyder thinks up another entirely new way to sabotage the team. This has amusement value. No matter how many obvious blunders Chainsaw Dan makes, he's still able to dream up new ones. The man has a gift.

And then there's this column from Fox Sports's Jason Whitlock. One highlight:

Shanahan miscalculated. The Redskins don't want to play for him. You could see it in their halfhearted tackling efforts. You could see it when Haynesworth laid on the turf unblocked for five seconds as Vick danced around the pocket looking for a receiver. You could see it in their mental and physical errors....

Shanahan made a colossal error in his handling of McNabb. The mistake could haunt Shanahan and his silver-spoon son. Players talk. Shanahan needs to fix this. It begins with making things right with McNabb. That begins not only with a new contract, but also acknowledgement the Redskins quite possibly have the most talent-deficient roster in the NFL.

So it's gonna be one of those kind of weeks.

By Dan Steinberg  | November 16, 2010; 3:01 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Football Insider Live: Eagles recap, McNabb contract and Titans preview
Next: Cooley says he's "repulsed" and "disgusted"

Comments

Dukes is a tool

Posted by: DMoney28 | November 16, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

For those about to step up and defend the team and say it's only one game, consider this:

That was embarrassing last night. To come out after a bye week, with the season on the line, on Monday Night Football, the Redskins from the top down performed like spoiled, privalaged children who know they get paid no matter what.

The Redskins are back to their old paycheck collecting ways, and people are still throwing money at Danny boy. Nothing will change while he is here.

Posted by: Leeguru | November 16, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is a tool

Posted by: DMoney28 | November 16, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Meh. Obviously Snyder and the underachieving Redskins are gold to local sports talk windbags. And it's gotten to the point of ad nauseam which is why satellite radio is on for me more.

I tune into Arrington and Dukes on occasion just to see if they are talking to somebody worthwhile. But they take too many breaks, most of which are usually following an incoherent run-on sentence from Lavar as if it was some amazing point. Dukes has moments but he plays up the wacky radio schtick too much for my taste.

Posted by: dpkennedy | November 16, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"1 holding penalty, one dropped pass in the end zone, and one field goal off the uprights from being 1-8."

I hate these arguments. You realize that you can make that argument about everything.

Take the holding penalty for example, if the Cowboy tackle didn't blatantly cheat and hold Orakpo, no way would Romo have had the time to break free and find Roy Williams for that would-be TD.

Posted by: dpkennedy | November 16, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I admit that I didn't listen to his ravings yet, but I read the highlights, and I can't say I disagree. I'm embarrassed by that game and the players damn well should be, too. To start a "scuffle", and then to play no better than that, the Redskins should be ashamed. Only the Redskins could find new ways to embarrass me week after week.

Posted by: rconner9 | November 16, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks this isn't the 2nd worst team in the NFL ahead of the Panthers is a complete fool. The Bills would absolutely dismantle us. The game in Dallas will be almost as bad as this was. The entitlement remains even after years of this. What is wrong with you people.

Posted by: RickFelt | November 16, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is spot on. I've also been a Redskin for 30 years; and I've seen the promise land. Last night was an all time low. My heart is broken.

Snyder, please leave. Let us, and what's left our legacy, be.

Posted by: katedog | November 16, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

For some reason, I'm not too apoplectic today. I didn't like it, but at least they didn't lie down. Some nights, your opponent is just ON and you're just off.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | November 16, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Dukes be talking about wrestling or something?

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | November 16, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Easterbrooks column is well thought out and a good read. Dukes rant is just typical sports talk bluster where he feels the need to shout EVERY SINGLE WORD.

Posted by: ArlingtonVA3 | November 16, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

IMO, this game was far worse (Pats 52 - Skins 7). It was 52-0 with 3 minutes to play.

Posted by: natshombre | November 16, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Snyder, please leave. Let us, and what's left our legacy, be.

Posted by: katedog | November 16, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I heard his rant, & he was right on with it.It was very well put. What Snyder has done to the Skins' is criminal & imo, inexcusable.

Posted by: Hattrik | November 16, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Who is Chad Dukes?? seriously Who is he? The fact that he partners with LaVarrr sugests he is a has been of some sorts. How dare him speak for me. LMAO he is a tool, so is jason whitlock

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | November 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I reached this point two years ago when I gaave up my season tickets after 10 years. I'm just numb to it all and just don't care anymore. Snyder has destroyed my team and, in reality, the Washington Redskins are HIS team and we're just paying for the "privilege" of cheering for it. I was very content to just watch at home, with the ability of turning it off and going straight to bed midway through the second quarter.

Posted by: stwasm | November 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

In life I generally tune out the moment I hear a stranger say the words "how DARE you". It's usually someone being histrionic and claiming some sort of moral authority that he or she doesn't really have.

It's only a game, dude. Sorry if you thought the Redskins were good. But, um, it's been ten-plus years of Meh. If you keep falling for it...that's kind of on you.

(How dare I say that!)

Posted by: hubcap | November 16, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Best part of this is Lavar in the background growling and urging him on...

It's all about the ratings for these guys. Remember, they're on the air for FIVE hours every weekday. That's a lot of air time to fill. They probably just take turns deciding who will have to rant in a given week. A rant like this is the gift that keeps on giving; they'll get to talk about Chad's rant all week.

Posted by: billyc123 | November 16, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Misguided or not, at least someone still has some passion...........

If the second decade of Snyder skins goes as swimmingly as the first, there won't be a sports radio host who cares enough to rant like that.

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 16, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The only way you can come up with a rant like Chad Dukes (and thanks for the tip Steinbog, but after the bits you've provided, I have no desire to hear the whole thing) is if you actually believed that this was a good football team.

It isn't.

I've been saying since the McNabb trade that this team WILL BE LUCKY to finish 8-8 this season.

Boswell nailed it when he said after St. Louis, "this is what happens when a 6-10 team thinks it is 10-6."

And yet the funny thing about this is that I've seen some people give the Redskins kudos for continuing to fight despite being down 35-0 early in the 2nd Quarter at home in a cold steady rain.

But whatever, if what happened last night finally wakes some of these people up to the reality that there ain't a whole lot of talent on the roster then it is a good thing. But if people still think this team has a ton of talent that is for some reason untapped, well, we'll see more unhinged rants like this one.

Posted by: CapsNut | November 16, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

You forgot to post the "Get 'em" count by Lavar as he was talking

Posted by: DShif | November 16, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I moved to the DC area when I was a little kid, and grew up bleeding burgundy and gold. I grew up with the Hogs, the Riggo Drill, and the Skins running the same play at Randy White something like ten times in a row. I celebrated when they won the Super Bowl, cried a little when they lost the one to the Raiders, was amazed and happy with Timmy Smith's dismantling of the Broncos, and stunned at how Joe Gibbs took a journeyman quarterback in Mark Rypien and turned him into a super bowl winner.

After Dan Snyder took over? I've dumped the team I grew up with for the team from the town that I was born in, San Diego. And I have to say that I'm enjoying Norv Turner, who Snyder fired, doing well and I was really happy when Turner beat Dan Snyder's team with his backups.

Do you know what Dan Snyder has done to the team? The last coach to win a playoff game for the Skins was Norv Turner. Turner's been with the Chargers for what, five years; the Raiders before that, and when he won that playoff game I think the running back was Terry Allen. If you wanted to plot a destruction of a once proud franchise, you couldn't come up with a better way to do it.

Dan Snyder and Peter Angelos are the reasons that I've abandoned the teams of my youth for the teams from my birth city. Seriously, I became a fan of teams 2,700 miles from DC because of those jokers!

You may say that I wasn't really a true fan, and that's a fair statement. But it wasn't the team performing poorly on the field that bothered me. It was that the ownership was so intent on destroying the team and its proud tradition that I couldn't stand to be a part of it anymore.

Posted by: tonyw44 | November 16, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Incorrect, the last coach to win a playoff game for the Redskins was Joe Gibbs 2.0. But that actually furthers your point.

Posted by: amorris525 | November 16, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about the Redskins nor football. I didn't watch a bit of that game. However, I listen to LaVar and Dukes and the passion Chad displayed today brought tears to my eyes; seriously. I'm a passionate Caps fan and I could hear the fandom in Chad's rant, which had nothing to do with the fact he has a sports talk radio show with LaVar Arrington. It came directly from the heart of a passionate fan and for some of you to put that down, brush that off as a ratings ploy, or as another random blowhard sports dude (Colin Cowherd) are obviously not as passionate a Skins fan as Chad.
And, my goodness, there are a million other radio stations on the air; change the channel. Do some of you listen just so you can complain about it? Move on.

Posted by: KAS2 | November 16, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Could I have usedthe words passion or passionate one more time?

Posted by: KAS2 | November 16, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg is "choosing to take a ho-hum attitude for a vareity of reasons" Really. What might those reasons be? That you had it a$$ backwards re: who got the better of the McNabb deal? Seriously, man up and admit you were a clueless dolt on this whole thing. This team got exposed, Andy Reid is way, way smarter than anyone in this organization. BTW -- Jason Campbell is having a better year than D McNabb too...wrong again nitwit.

Posted by: dbunkr | November 16, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Lord Dukes is not happy.

At least they can't blame the offensive coordinator. Kyle Shanahan is the best in the business and has worked his way from the ground up, putting in 110% effort where ever he goes and a trail of success stories. It really was a no brainer to hire this guy.

The 'Skins players should really look to him for an inspiring story of self-sacrifice, hard work, and earning everything you have in life by flat out grinding for it. Kyle Shanahan: Self-Made Success Story.

Posted by: BurtReynolds | November 16, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I dunno if this was intentional but I found the rant absolutely hilarious, I was laughing my bum off halfway through.

Yeah this team sucks, anyone who thought otherwise was deluded but what makes this even more frustrating is the refusal and/or outright dishonesty from management in not seeing that the team needs a total tear-down, not another quick fix.

But there's one thing to take solace in -- hockey season.

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: Liebercreep | November 16, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Good rant. Thanks for saying what I wanted to say.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 16, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I think one of the MAIN problems that is not being addressed, "The Elephant In The Room," as it were, is that basically, we suck.

It doesn't help that Sha-nana can't see that Galloway is done. It doesn't help that he thinks Lickedherstain is "doing a good job" and it doesn't help that we took a top shelf defense and schemed it into a red carpet.

So, talent IS not our strength, but management is KILLING us. I should say MISmanagement.

How can you ask the players to play any scheme that doesn't work for millions a year while you ask your coaches to never waver from ONE idea and pay them the same? Adapt, anyone?

And a contradictory idea I had while working today: If we put 28 points on the Eagles, at home, on MNF, you'd bet your sweet cheeks we'd win that game, am I right?

What in the Sam Hill has happened to our defense?

Vick is fast, but, c'mon. We kinda knew that going in. We've stifled the little psycho before. How about the run for a 60+ yd TD? I mean, Haslett is starting to really scare me.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 17, 2010 6:03 AM | Report abuse

OH, forgot to point out the ZERO for TEN on 3rd down conversions.

HOW!!!???

Throw it to Cooley EVERY SINGLE THIRD DOWN and we're at LEAST 50%!

And there was one statistical measure in which we were not dominated: Time of Possession.

Sad part is, in the time it took us to go three and out, the Eagles scored 2 TDs.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 17, 2010 6:07 AM | Report abuse

Dukes is an idiot.

Now Redskins fans have some perspective as to what Denver Broncos felt in 1987. And that was the Super Bowl!

Posted by: Philbiker | November 17, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Dukes is awesome.

It's a shame that his talent is being wasted by being stuck in a sports radio format.

Posted by: TwoBuckChuck | November 17, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Dukes do this rant in front of the entire 53 man roster. Laron Landry would respond positively. Do you really think that every Redskin should quit today? That's just assinine.

Just because someone yells as loud as they can doesn't mean they're right. Be upset, be angry, but you lose credibility when you act like that.

And he says 'umbrage' way too much. Not in this rant. But just in general.

Posted by: TheMichael | November 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, the Caps are on tonight.

Posted by: playahatah | November 17, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Chad Dukes was right on. He spoke for the real Redskins fans who continue to devote a large chunk of their lives (money and time) to this team. And I loved how he called out EB of the Junkies, who was sort of apologizing for the Skins' performance Tuesday morning.

Posted by: HonestBroker1 | November 17, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

here is a remedy the only remedy: stop going to the games period don't buy any of the merchandise at all you can watch games on television if they are on or listen to the radio there is no need to get your blood pressure up and shortening your life over these fools if management does not make a 180 degree turn just stop supporting them, snyder is what he is make your break NOW.

Posted by: wathu19 | November 17, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Chad Dukes is my hero. Glad to hear someone still has some passion about this team.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | November 17, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The rant by Chad Dukes was right on. Especially when commenting that the other Redskins fansites/websites were just giving one word humourous anecdotal jargon. That segment represents how life long born and raised Skins fans feel, yet either dont want to or cant yell and scream out loud like he did. It's like we're under control by the Empire from Star Wars (Dan Synder and co.) for the past 10 years and are waiting for someone to topple their regime and bring order to this once majestic franchise which is the institution in sports for this city. A clean sweep of coaching/management/ownership is what is necesary yet easier said than done and may take many years.

Posted by: Dooku1 | November 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone count the number of times LaVar said 'Get em'?

Posted by: bsumner | November 17, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Really don't mind the passion behind Dukes rants even though he offers no opinions on how this team can actually improve. "Firing Everyone" is just stupid, Fanboy talk. Snyder, Shanahan, Allen, and Mcnabb have made their bed together and now they need to lie in it. Either support this group going foward or get lost. All you Anti-Skins fans running your mouths about how you just care about the Caps need to SHUT THE HELL UP. You couldn't care less about the Caps until Leonis brought the team, they got Ovie, and started having success. The Skins are the passion in this town no matter how much you and the John Feinsteins of the world hate it.

Posted by: moseley_brian | November 17, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is a tremendous, tremendous, TREMENDOUS idiot.

"There was 50% Eagles fans in that stadium"

Um, no there was not. There was maybe, MAYBE, 10% Eagles fans...and I think I'm being generous with that. More likely, there were between 3-6% at kickoff.

"50% of our fans left after the 1st quarter"

Well, the 3rd quarter technically comes after the 1st quarter, so technically this comment is true but most fans were still there well into the 2nd quarter during the 2 Redskins 1st half TDs.

"You owe us money, and you owe us an apology, because you went out there, and you half-assed it."

The other guys get paid too, Dukes. As I recall, the Redskins lost by an even greater margin in 2007 to the Patriots (52-7) and I seem to recall, we made the playoffs that year.

"I'm paying $500 for John Riggins jerseys for my old man for Christmas"

This is just a bald-faced lie. $500? Really Dukes? You really think we are this stupid?

Why hasn't Chad Dukes handed in his key card and turned back his paychecks for blatantly lying to his listeners? Why isn't he giving money back to his listeners for being such a fraud?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 17, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Chad Dukes danced all over Sean Taylor's grave, he went on that previous show of his with his co-host Oscar, and they let Taylor have it, after Taylor was dead. I dare him to play the audio from that show today, I dare, dare, dare him. He was talking about how Sean might have brought it on himself, and trying to imply that Sean was a thug and that's what happens to thugs. Sicko!

Posted by: geber22 | November 17, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, any chance you can pull up that audio referenced above by geber22?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 17, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The Falcons were like this for 20+ years under owner Rankin Smith and then his son, and then Arthur Blank bought the team and the team has gotten slowly, haltingly, but almost inexorably better with each passing year. . . . A crappy owner does a crappy team make.

Posted by: outonleave | November 17, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Snyder - The Grinch that stole Sunday happiness.

Posted by: ddawatson | November 18, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

All Synder cares about is making money. If you fans keep on filling the stands, nothing is going to change.

Posted by: FredKnowsBest | November 18, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder was a better friend to Sean Taylor, when Taylor passed, then Chad Dukes, PERIOD! I've since forgiven Chad Dukes but I will never forget, and for him to grandstand like this is bordering on absurd.

Posted by: geber22 | November 18, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

If it's true that Dukes spoke those words following the passing of Sean Taylor then that is despicable. I doubt Lavar would be yelling "get em" then huh. Just disgusting.

Posted by: dpkennedy | November 18, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

That was EPIC!
Stand up ovation for that display of passion. Judging by the comments of most of you, I can tell that you are not really passionate fans because any true loyal fan must feel what Chad Dukes felt in his rant. Classic!

Posted by: kpdillon82 | November 18, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

DMoney28 is a piece of garbage.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 19, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

DMoney28 is a piece of garbage.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 19, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse