Clinton Portis's Phillies hat

By Dan Steinberg

With a rivalry game against Philadelphia looming, and with media from Philly in town to cover the longtime Philly athlete now plying his trade in D.C., Clinton Portis addressed the media today while wearing a Phillies hat. MIND GAMES.

"I just felt like wearing red today," he said, when asked. "It didn't have nothing to do with the Phillies. I just felt like wearing red today. This was the only outfit I had, so I put it on."

Red, though, could also be Nats, it was pointed out.

"I don't have a Nats hat," Portis said. "That's crazy that I don't have a Nats hat. Nobody has sent me one to the locker room."

Of course, online, people immediately mentioned this. And this. But those aren't red hats, I suppose.

Portis was also asked if he's going full speed in practice.

"I don't have Usain Bolt-type speed," Portis said, via Redskins TV. "My full speed and Usain Bolt speed different. I went out and did what I could. Nobody had a clock, so I don't know how fast I was running."

(Hey, you think I'm focused on trivia. The AP led with Portis's hat.)

By Dan Steinberg  | November 11, 2010; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan-McNabb debate races to the bottom
Next: Tanya Snyder: Redskins owner "has better people around him now"

Comments

This is ridiculous. I'm tired of his shenanigans. I know for a fact, he did this specifically to anger me and I will not stand for it. GO NATS!

Here's a thought. Perhaps the kind of person that refers to themselves in the third person on a constant basis, is also the kind of person that would wear a hat with his last name initialed on it? Coincidence or mere conspiracy!?

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | November 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

No one sent him one? Like he can't spare the pocket change it takes to buy one. It's not like they're hard to find.

Posted by: Grooven | November 11, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Hats are as much a fashion accessory as they are a display of team pride these days anyway, especially to pro athletes.

Posted by: MillBurray | November 11, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Get this clown out of town. Nobody sent him a Nats cap??? Does "Da U" have any non idiots coming out of their program? So in this economy a multi multi millionaire needs a hand out for him not to be a tool. I will now declare you the worst Clinton ever to grace DC. Worse than the idiot who signed our jobs away to NAFTA and his douchy wife too.

Posted by: damjammer | November 11, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Nats hats are ugly as hell. I wouldn't waste my money on one either.
There's only 1 baseball team in the DMV, and that's the Baltimore Orioles.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 11, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Portis:
This egregious fashion choice is something up with which we will not put.
Please remember that the "P" does not stand for Portis.

Posted by: duachawana | November 11, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Big deal about the hat? Just another middle aged suburbanite demonstrating a clueless concept of the young urban male's fashion apparel. Wearing a Phillies hat does not have a literal meaning. If anything its simply; fashion, being "cool," Phillies hats are "in." Thinking otherwise demonstrates sociological and demographic ignorance.

Posted by: Theone9 | November 11, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

+++Nats hats are ugly as hell. I wouldn't waste my money on one either.
There's only 1 baseball team in the DMV, and that's the Baltimore Orioles.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 11, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse ++++

Ah, dopey O's fans. There's the P-Nats, the Tides, the BaySox, that little Cal Ripken team in Aberdeen, and a ton of Little League teams that field better lineups than the Orioles do on a nightly basis.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 11, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

+++Nats hats are ugly as hell. I wouldn't waste my money on one either.
There's only 1 baseball team in the DMV, and that's the Baltimore Orioles.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 11, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse ++++

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 11, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Nats hats are ugly as hell. I wouldn't waste my money on one either.
There's only 1 baseball team in the DMV, and that's the Baltimore Orioles.

Posted by: alecw81 |
~~~~
Agree on both accounts-the hats are ugly and corny AND the Orioles are the DMV's team and not the Nationals with that corny, dumb-ass name. They might as well be named the Washington Cornballs.

I've said it before, the Nats are the team for Northwest Washington, Bethesda and Northern Virginia. The Whi-- ,er, Wealthy & Well-to-do folks of those areas wanted that team and they have it...Enjoy!!

Ripken, Weaver, Lynn, Palmer, Murray, Palmeiro, going 0-21 in 1989, Alomar, Anderson and so on. The Orioles are more established in the area and therefore, are the Peoples Team.

Sorry, Robin in Va-it's the truth, babe.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 12, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Nats hats are actually very popular in pop culture, just look at all the rappers wearing them. For those of you commenting, you obviously are not in the know when it comes to pop culture. Just do some research and you will see that the red hat with the W is very popular. As far as portis, who cares, he's done along with Arenas. Arenas is the biggest bum in DC, and Clinton is second followed by the future McNabb, the same QB who didn't know an NFL game could end in a tie. That should tell you something. what a joke we have in this city. Funny how Gibbs' chosen one with the Raiders, just finds a way to win.

Posted by: tony28 | November 12, 2010 2:00 AM | Report abuse

You people don't get.Clinton Portis knows that he is so insignificant in the RedSkins present and future plans that he is trying to call attetion by wearing a Phily cap that's all. Message for you CP we in Washington don't give a F*%*K. You can wear an Eagles hat.

Posted by: GUALLUBO | November 12, 2010 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GUALLUBO | November 12, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GUALLUBO | November 12, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

who cares what hats he wears...i mean really, is this news? idgaf

Posted by: remarkable4real | November 12, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

WELL DAN...
WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THE AP?
IS IT MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO? IF AP WRITES A STUPID ARTICLE...DO YOU THINK THAT MAKES IT OK FOR YOU TO BE STUPID AS WELL?
A BIG FOOTBALL GAME COMING ON NATIONAL TV...AND THIS IS YOUR STORY?
MAYBE WE SHOULD BE READING THE PHILLY PAPER TO GET INFORMATION THAT IS RELEVANT?

Posted by: blazerguy234 | November 12, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

You people sound like a bunch of sissies. Who cares what kind of hat he wears?! Stop crying like a bunch of punks and enjoy the rest of the season!

Posted by: Bucsfan1 | November 12, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Cp is lost negro leave him alone let him be an idiot

Posted by: mha31353 | November 12, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Dear G-d, the guy makes MILLIONS and can't seem to spend $5 for a goldarned NATS hat? Give me a freakin' break.

I'm fed up with the prima donnas around here.

Posted by: luv2bikva | November 12, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLYEAGLESFLY | November 12, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

lebron portis

Posted by: ginnyandrick | November 12, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wewbank1 | November 12, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Why would anyone want to wear a Nats hat? He has a television. He knows that when the Phillies play here the Philly fans take over the stadium. Hell, the Eagles fans will be louder than the cotton candy soft 'Skins fans on Monday night. Second tier sports town at best. GO EAGLES!!"

Still a bridesmaid

Posted by: JDB1 | November 12, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLYEAGLESFLY | November 12, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow, so Philly has a lot of fans. That's great.

I'd rather have my team winning championships. The Eagles have as many Super Bowl rings as I do. DC may be a 2nd tier sports town, but Philly has a bunch of 3rd rate sports teams.

And the Orioles are the people's team?!?! That's hilarious....they're not even Baltimore's team. Every year I go to watch my Yankees go in and stomp the Orioles, and there are 20,000 Yankee fans, 10,000 Orioles fans, and the remainder of the stadium is empty. I'm fairly confident it's the same way when the Red Sox come to town.

At this rate, I'm thinking Royals fans outnumber O's fans at Camden Yards when KC comes to town.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 12, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLYEAGLESFLY | November 12, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow, so Philly has a lot of fans. That's great.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 12, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLYEAGLESFLY | November 12, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

And how many superbowl titles has that bought you @$$clown? Just go back to your dirty crackhead city ASAP!

Posted by: clwalker1906 | November 12, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I think it's kind of funny listening to people fuss whether DC or Baltimore is the better baseball town. They finished 22nd and 23rd in total attendance this year. Add their total attendance together and it's less than the Phillies. Philadelphia isn't a great baseball city, but people will follow winning teams.

Posted by: EStBnd | November 12, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think some commenters need to take a nap.
You know who you are!

Posted by: ACounter | November 12, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Is burgundy not a shade of red?!

Posted by: wassaab | November 12, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Glad Clinton wasn't getting an Irish vibe and feelin' like the wearin' of the green. Where do I send a donation to get Portis a proper red hat?

Posted by: TheCork | November 12, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

TO:

Dan Steinberg,

If you want to be taken seriously as a journalist you should stop writing about useless stories that don't mean a thing.

Oh... Donovan did not wear a helmet today in practice... are u gonna write about that now??

Today's bloggers have no concept of what is news and what trashy lame gossip. Stop milking horrible stories that don't help us nor your career.

If you want to write about something... use more heart and passion and less criticism on superficial things that ever matter.

Posted by: regxjin | November 13, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

People root for the Nationals? News to me. Go O's!

Posted by: nitrojunkie_20723 | November 13, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"The Phillies play baseball idiots, not football. Bashers come out of the wood-work every time this guy does anything... the Horse is DEAD! You guys have seen how he tears up the Eagles defense, or at least used to, so I don't think he's a closet Eagles fan. This is just more fodder for Media scrubs to use against an aging RB who IMO left his body on the football field for us. Its not Portis's fault that the Redskins apparel line has like 15 different shades of Red! Thats something that has ALWAYS annoyed me. But whatever, I hope he tears it up this week."

Agreed here, Folks in DC don't know that Deshawn Jackson caught heck for wearing a Nat's hat because he's from Californa and somehow the "W" represents "WESTSIDE!!" But it's just a doggone baseball teams hat. It does not man that he does not like the Nats or is somehow anti-DC>

Posted by: mudd94 | November 15, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse