Colin Cowherd now doesn't like John Wall's dad

By Dan Steinberg

John Wall had an ok game Wednesday night. Triple-double. Crazy dunk. One turnover. Home win.

This meant a couple things to radio host Colin Cowherd.

1) Time to brag about how many people paid attention last time he ripped Wall. He said he got more than a dozen e-mails about Wall within 10 minutes after Wednesday's game ended.

"Why do I host a radio show? That's why. Wednesday night, irrelevant NBA game, people in D.C. rushed to their computers. You have an opinion on John Wall. Mines's not yours. I don't want him as my long-term future."

2) Time to again talk about the Dougie, making him the only person in America (besides me) still talking about it.

"He's gonna be a fast break of 1, he's not gonna be a lot-of-titles guy, he's not gonna be that guy....Just because I don't jump into the hype fest of the Kentucky media to the D.C. media, who have an agenda, an emotional conviction toward him? Sorry. But I hated the Dougie. It's absurd, it's not what leaders do in any industry, it's childish, it's bad judgment, and I don't care if the guy at the arena told you to do the Dougie. I hated it."

3) Time to rip on John Wall's dead father.

"Let me tell you something: I'm a big believer, when it comes to quarterbacks and point guards. Who's your dad? Who's your dad? Because I like confrontational players, I don't like passive aggressive. Strong families equal strong leaders. Talent? Overrated. Leadership? Underrated. And you can say, well, Colin, can you just go out and say anything crazy and get people to e-mail. That's not the point. You wouldn't e-mail if I was an idiot, because you wouldn't listen to the show. You listen to the show because we make good points.

"I simply have a different opinion than you do on John Wall. I like the character of Derek Fisher, the rebounding and distribution ability of Rajon Rondo, that's what I like. That's what I want from my point guards. You celebrate the assists more than the buckets.....I know he's great. So don't confuse [me saying] John Wall's no good. No, John Wall's an A+ talent. I don't think he's ever gonna be an A+ win-championships point guard."

Who's your dad? Pure class.

(As Chris Littmann and others have noted, Rondo's father left his family when he was 7.)

(Some have suggested that Cowherd meant "Who's your team's dad," as in, who's your team's leader. If so, I would take this back. But Cowherd returned to the family issue later, and seemed to reinforce my original interpretation.

"One of the things I've always knocked against Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls, Derrick Rose has a passive-aggressive personality. He's not confrontational. What does that mean? That's not a good husband, and it's not a good point guard, and it's not a good CEO. They have brain types. And people who test for brain types knew that Peyton Manning would be much more successful than Ryan Leaf, because of Peyton Manning's family background and his confrontational style. Derrick Rose pouts, gets moody, is passive-aggressive. I'm not a fan of Derrick Rose as my point guard. Rajon Rondo? Very confrontational. Argues with Doc Rivers, argues with teammates, argues with officials. I love that in my point guard. Magic would yap, Manning yaps, Brees yaps, Brady yaps, McNabb yaps. I want guys who are confrontational."

Later still, he sort of linked Wall with Michael Vick, for no particular reason.

"You know, John Wall and Vick are very similar. I"m not disputing their talent. I mean, Michael Vick and John Wall are fun to watch. But building my franchise around him, leadership position? I'm not giving Vick four-year deals, I'm not giving him $40 mil. No way. No. Way."

So I'm not totally sure what any of this means any more. I give up.)

By Dan Steinberg  | November 11, 2010; 3:29 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tanya Snyder: Redskins owner "has better people around him now"
Next: The Caps, Greg Garcia and Raising Hope

Comments

It's a dumb argument, point guards don't win championships. The last team built around a point guard to win the title was the Pistons with Isiah Thomas. Cowherd is saying that Fisher and Rondo were the leaders on their team when they won the title? That's a joke, he needs to do some research and look up names like Bryant, Kobe; O'Neal, Shaquille; Pierce, Paul; Allen, Ray; Garnett, Kevin.

Posted by: eternale5150 | November 11, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Cowturd is winning here. I'm contributing to it by just commenting on this. Steinberg is, too with this article (he obviously knows this). It's just really hard to sit back and take this. Cowturd complained about Wall's turnovers. Last night he only had one with 6 steals (oh, and a little triple double).

If the Wizards build the proper team around Wall, there is no reason why he can't lead his team to a championship. He has all of the qualities that make up a championship PG.

I feel it won't matter what Wall does, or how successful he becomes (including rings). Because the Turd has made up his little pea brain that he doesn't like Wall.

Well, sir -- we don't like you either.

Posted by: CYA_Coach | November 11, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

That's astonishingly stupid even for Cowherd. I don't mean to start a political argument, but the leader of our country right now didn't even know his father.

I guess this is what happens when your original argument for why someone can't win a championship is "he dances". When people realized how that made no sense, Cowherd resorted to grasping at straws.

Posted by: jml897 | November 11, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Bill Clinton didn't know his father either, neither did Frederick Douglas. Last time I checked they could both lead!

Posted by: eternale5150 | November 11, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"And you can say, well, Colin, can you just go out and say anything crazy and get people to e-mail. That's not the point. You wouldn't e-mail if I was an idiot, because you wouldn't listen to the show. You listen to the show because we make good points."

Colin, maybe you haven't heard of a wildly successful show called Jersey Shore. People tune in for the sole fact that it is a show comprised of idiots saying and doing idiotic things. Don't think you are something special just because people took notice to the absurdity spewing from your mouth.

Posted by: MillBurray | November 11, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd only said that because he's a racist...

Posted by: CapsNut | November 11, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

This guy will be fired. ESPN loves Wall. This is like me saying Cowherd will never win an award because of his crater face. Idiotic.

Posted by: t-train | November 11, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Do your research Cowturd, the guy you are comparing John Wall to, Rajon Rondo, his father left his family when he was 7 years old.

You have just contradicted yourself dumba**.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 11, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

cowherd is an irrelevant idiot

Posted by: BeatDontStop | November 11, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

You have just contradicted yourself dumba**.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 11, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse
__________________________

Comparing ones game is not the same as comparing their leadership ability... just saying... Wall is only 20 years old, he needs time to mature & become a STRONG leader. Cowturd is too early to make this sort of assessment.

Posted by: tony325 | November 11, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

This is the same guy who said Sean Taylors death was the result of him being a thug, Im not sure if he is qualified to ever speak again. At least not outloud....on the radio.

Posted by: gtstang9t3 | November 11, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg,

First, I listened to that hour of Cowherd's show today and he didn't mention John Wall's father. In fact nowhere in any of the script that you quoted does he mention John Wall's father. You're being intellectually dishonest with both the headline and claiming that he's ripping Wall's dad.

Second, it's obvious that you don't listen to Cowherd's show on even a passing basis because if you did you'd know he that he's brought up athletes and fathers before, about how athletes who are better leaders and how they often come from strong families with a two parent household. He also talks about how athletes with poor off the field behaviour and poor leadership skills often come from single-parent homes with no father in their lives.

There was some merit to your argument that ripping Wall for a 34-second dance of the Dougie was ridiculous, but this time you're out of line because you're looking for something that's not there.

Posted by: Fitz157 | November 11, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

How easy is it to compare a young player to someone else who has already won a championship and just say that young player, in this case Wall, will never get on that level? Wall has played just six games! He's already recorded a triple-double, is first in steals per game, and is fourth in assists per game. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as Wall "celebrating the assists."

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | November 11, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

is Cowherd still on the air in the DC market? i thought 980 thankfully took him off. he is a sports shock-jock who will play-up any controversial argument to boost ratings... regardless of the racist overtones. He sucks and should be fired... but won't cause this will only help his ratings. He's the fox news of sports radio.

Posted by: garrettparkal | November 11, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

…where did Steinberg get the transcript then? Knock him all you want, knock the turnovers, the dance, but don’t bring up his father. Was it his fault his father was in prison? That has nothing to do with what kind of a person he is today. And certainly nothing to do with whether he will ever win a championship.

And so what if he’s brought it up other times in his show. It doesn’t make it right. What is he basing his theory on? Where can he prove that John Wall will have poor behavior off the court and poor leadership skills because his father was not around when he was younger?

Posted by: rachel216 | November 11, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Cowturd better be careful, his rants are veering dangerously close to full blown racism.

I mean, attacking the father? Is he going to start ranting about bloodlines next?

Met the guy once at a conference. All he had to say was that college football is what gets people to listen to national radio show and so many meth jokes and references that I wasn't sure if he wasn't addicted to meth himself.

Posted by: Liebercreep | November 11, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@Garrett, he's on AM 570 in this market.

@Fitz and @Rachel216, obviously he didn't mention Wall's father specifically. And obviously the headline was tongue in cheek.

But if you're saying "who's your dad" in reference to John Wall criticism, either you know who Wall's dad is and are alluding to that, or you're being bizarrely ignorant. You don't have to mention someone by name to rip them. How exactly should we interpret "who's your dad?" in reference to John Wall?

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | November 11, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't one have to really go looking for this guy, to hear him? The only time I hear him, is every few weeks when Kornheiser is on vacation, & I happen to surf by 980. Cowherd IS irrelevant.

Posted by: Hattrik | November 11, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

1. John Wall is black and talented.
2. Michael Vick is black and talented.
3. John Wall danced before a home opener.
4. Michael Vick went to federal prison for dog fighting.

Therefore, by the transitive property of "I'm a racist d-bag," John Wall = Michael Vick.

Posted by: williamhenline | November 11, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

1. John Wall is black and talented.
2. Michael Vick is black and talented.
3. John Wall danced before a home opener.
4. Michael Vick went to federal prison for dog fighting.

Posted by: williamhenline | November 11, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Who's YOUR dad, Colin. He must be very proud.

Posted by: BulletsFan76 | November 11, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I thought Colin's take was pretty accurate. He brought up several black point guards, especially Magic Johnson, Rajon Rondo, Derek Fisher, and Isaiah Thomas, so it's not a racial thing. It's the difference between "me" and "us," between individual and team. Wall can grow into a great player without growing much; to be a great leader, he's got some work to do.

Posted by: barbarian_horde | November 11, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that my father (who fortunately I've never met) could beat up Cowherd's father.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure my mother (who unfortunately I have met) could beat up Cowherd's father.

Posted by: bryc3 | November 11, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

re: barbarian_horde:

He's 20 years old, he's not supposed to be the leader yet.

Posted by: eternale5150 | November 11, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Living here in southeastern North Carolina, when in my car, he is the only sports radio that I can get in his time slot. Why is he still on ESPN, I have no idea, but he must have something over his bosses because it isn't his talent. I wish I had Sirus/XM Radio in my car!!!!!

Posted by: rhiles2760 | November 11, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd == "Mr. Unathletic Sports-Talk Radio Guy" from the beer commercials:

Posted by: ouij | November 11, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

What is with this guy? Why is he all about crapping on a guy who just turned 20 and has played 6 games like we are debating whether a guy is a HOFer after he just retired?

If I didnt know any better I'd think Wall banged Cowherd's daughter, bashed his red Corvette and left a note that said "Now I popped both you cherries"

How can you compare Wall and Rondo? One is 20 years old and is carrying a team 6 games into a career. The other is playing on a championship caliber team.

Posted by: makplan20002 | November 11, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: makplan20002 | November 11, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd absolutely loves the fact that DC area people responded to his semi-bashing of John Wall, I was listening to him go on and on while driving from the A-T-L to Macon,Ga. most of what he said about Wall was pure theatre and shoot from the hip bullsh#t, Wall will be an all star for the next ten years or as soon as Ted Leonsis get's rid of Flip and Ernie.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 11, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Only a dozen emails? I can't imagine they all came from dc, doesn't sound like a lot of listeners. I stopped listening to 980 once they brought this guy back. He stupidity and ignorance is why I don't listen and shunned an entire radio station just because he was in the lineup. Cowherd is the reason my radio is always on 106.7.

Posted by: deiulay | November 11, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I would understand completely if we hear of Coward soon becoming a resident of a hospital...

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 11, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post what do you see in a hiree that is this low of a human? What is it that gives THIS a platform.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | November 11, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

How many people were following the actions of John Wall before the Dougie? How many are following them now? How many fans were excited to be at a Wizards game before the Dougie? How many of those fans now don't want to miss the next big moment? How many of Wall's teammates spent a lot of time in the off-season calling him out on his selfishness before the Dougie? How many are calling him out now? How many other sports franchises so desperately needed a superstar that could make the game FUN for fans more than the Wizards? How many owners wish they had a guy half as marketable?

Andray Blatche is scoring at MORE THEN DOUBLE HIS CAREER AVERAGE. Al Thornton is over his career average. McGee's numbers are up across the board. Is Wall responsible for all of that? No. Is he holding his teammates back so that he can grandstand? Hell no.

I don't care if Cowherd follows this thread or reads this comment, I do hope, though, that his bosses do. The reason "giving THIS a platform" is important is because we do not hold people accountable nearly enough. To impugn another person's character and to cast aspersions about their family based on reading the stat lines of 6 games of basketball and watching a YouTube video is despicable and the farthest thing from entertaining or enlightening I can imagine. I hope Cowherd's bosses can see that this jacka** is losing them an audience in a major media market. It's not Cowherd who gets a platform when Dan posts about stuff like this, it's us. I'd like to use that platform to respectfully recommend that Cowherd be fired.

Posted by: nkeitt | November 11, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

My point in the first paragraph above is simply this - if people follow you, you are a leader. Anybody here following John Wall? Anyone on his team following John Wall?

Posted by: nkeitt | November 11, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is a west coast tree hugger that admitted to just recently watching the NBA. Who cares about the dork from sportsnation that nobody watches cuz he's a lame whining geek. He has no idea what it takes to win championships. Also did he put McNabb into his "Confrontational Leaders" category? Does he pay attention to sports at all? Has he not watched over the past 2 weeks McNabb bein punked by the Shanny's without any confrontation? What a clueless crybaby!

Posted by: MDWILLWIN | November 11, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Thank God for The Dan Patrick show so I can get my sports fix from someone who knows what they are talking about, and does not just say things for shock factor that are dumb most of the time.

Posted by: turner58cats | November 11, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mike for doing such a great job in exposing this idiot's idiocy! You inspired me enough to actually write this Coward:

WOW!!! All i can say is you are a genius!!! Don't listen to all of those irrational people out there that pay attention to facts alone. John Wall isn't going to win a championship, not because he plays for the wizards, but simply because he danced during the pregame of his home opener, debuting himself infront of a soldout crowd of despairing washington fans who waited all summer to see there prized number one draft pick after an epicly disastrous season. And ignore all of the statistics comparing rondo and wall through there first 6 games, and the fact that wall's are by far superior. I get it, you like Rondo more. Also, ignore the fact that wall is keeping pace with the all time leader in assists through his first games and all he seems to care about in post game discussion is did we get a win and how many turnovers did he have. Lets just ignore his incredible skill set, speed, size, court vision and explosiveness. Let's just ignore everything. Why? Because you don't like him? Because he didn't have a father figure (he died) even though Rondos dad left him when he was seven and magic never knew his dad (they never won rings tho)? Wait a second? Have you made a single, reasonable and factual-based argument on this guy? Not the slightest. You must be the dumbest sports commentator i've ever heard. I don't know where you come from, probably cleveland or some lame mid west city's suburbs, but you are an idiot. And I'm not just saying this because I hate the way you look and talk and are a complete shmuck. I say this because you are an actual idiot. At least i hope you are an idiot, becuase if you aren't a true idiot then you must at the very least be a hardcore racist. I read between the lines. Oh sure you bring up the classic unathletic, white bigot argument about quarterbacks and point guards not being smart enough to play their positions, and compare manning to ryan leaf to guise your racism. But then, boom, you come out the closet and drop the Vick comparison. Well guess what, he's having a great season too. If ESPN doesn't fire you and hire the next homeless crackhead they find at the underpass on the way to the studio then i will be genuinely shocked.

With no respect whatsoever,

Ben

P.S. If the third option is that you aren't a racist or idiot, but simply a rabble raiser trying to get more hits on google than congratulations! You win and you are a genius!

Posted by: bbachrac | November 11, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

With no respect whatsoever,

Ben

Posted by: bbachrac | November 11, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

This is why I stopped lessening to him over a year ago.He always likes to attacks someones family,if they come from a broken one without a Dad he makes a point to call them a bust or bum.This is a Rush want to be loud mouth who says this to get a reaction.As I remember he is divorced so he should look in the mirror first and be a better Dad himself.

Posted by: TiminVegas | November 11, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

It means that the radio host believes that saying outrageous things gets people to listen to his show, which equals ad revenue, which equals job security.

These are publicity stunts. I've never heard of the radio guy Cowherd, and based on the excerpt it sounds like he's just filling air time.

Posted by: JPRS | November 12, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bbachrac | November 11, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute...has anyone seen Glenn Beck and Colin Cowherd in the same place at the same time? Hmmm...

Posted by: nkeitt | November 12, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I think he believes in the following philosophy:
"When you are in a hole keep digging."

Posted by: tc2003 | November 12, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Poor choice of words but he clearly isn't attacking Walls dad. Is he also attacking Fisher's husband? Does that make any sense.

What he's trying to say is that point guards and quarterbacks are the Dads, husbands, CEOs of the team. He likes a certain personality at those positions.

I think the guy is a total idiot and can't listen to him for more than a minute or two, but I think this is being misinterpreted.

Posted by: ghokee | November 12, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Ummm...does Cowherd get paid to spout this nonesense? I haven't heard him in quite a while, because I DO have XM radio in my car, but before I did, I found him to not be very firmly tethered to the real world.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 12, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

My guess is that Mr. Cowherd is fully aware that what he's saying is absurd. But saying sensible, perceptive things (if he's capable of that) wouldn't generate the buzz that spouting nonsense does. It's just business.

I'm sure he's quite gratified by all the "WTF" he can generate. If we all just nodded our heads in assent, he'd probably be out of a job.

Posted by: louie5 | November 12, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is the worst sports talk host in the US. I have heard sportstalk from Maine to Miami and he reaches a new low everytime he comes on the air. He throws out comments just to get a reaction. Thank God the DC area doesn't have to listen to him on a regular basis. Guys like Cowherd, who think they are so incredibly brillant hate pro athletes because of the money they make. The only way they can deal with it is to take cheap shots at them. Sorry Cowherd, your Mommy took away your blanket too soon!

Posted by: JAMNEW | November 12, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Look, Anyone who listens to Cowherd - and I'm pissed off that even I do, given how much I hate the man's personality - knows that he does this all the time. He makes ridiculous (over)statements, but also leaves them open-ended. So, when something he says is actually dis-proven, he can lean on the SMALLEST point he made during said statement, and give you the "I never said that" routine. Guy's a jerk. But he's smart, and he somehow has millions of people that hate him and still listen to him.

He did this w/ his Cliff Lee statements during the baseball season. He goes out and says that Cliff Lee is mailing it in as a member of the Rangers pitching staff. He said that Lee would only perform when playing against good teams in an effort to audition for the off season. So, in Cowherd's twisted mind, the only thing that needs to happen for him to claim that his statements were true is for Lee to win his starts against the Yanks, Red Sox, Rays, Twins, etc. Lee does well in these spots, Cowherd feels validated, regardless of how he performs at other times.

How is this related to Wall? If and when Wall does win a championship, multiple MVP's, whatever...Herd will choose to focus on the small nugget he divulged that "I think Wall is an A+ talent." He will choose to highlight this part of his statement in order to validate himself and perpetuate his "I'm right, you're wrong, next caller" persona.

Smart on his part, but spineless at the same time.

Posted by: Walter15 | November 12, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd has been always a racist, sexist bigot who should never have been allowed to have a show on the air. Now he is belittling a hard-working, talented young man just because he has a tragic family history. I really hope that there is something that we can do to stop this garbage and keep him off the air forever.

Posted by: motherforobama | November 12, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

He must just not have anything else to talk about. Is John Wall immature? Probably, because he is 20 years old. How many games has he played, like 5-6. Seriously, "Coward", you are an idiot.

Posted by: BT23 | November 12, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Considering that I'm sure even CC doesn't believe 99% of what comes out of his mouth, I'll limit my comment to the amount of exposure this story deserves and say.

"Colin Cowherd is a coward, a laughably stupid buffon, and a blowhard."

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 12, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I never understand the outrage over Colin Cowherd. Recognize him for what he is. He's just a Stern/Imus/Limbaugh wannabe. He's basically the Loser we all knew in High School who was a wimpy smart ass wishing he was the most popular guy in school. He wants to be relevant in Pop Culture outside of Sports and the dopes at ESPN have given him a vehicle to do that. He'll be off ESPN in a few years and on some nationally syndicated program either talking about Celebs or Politics.

Posted by: moseley_brian | November 12, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, Cowherd doesn't just sound like an idiot...he actually sounds evil. He looks evil, too. I'm not kidding. I honestly think there is something mentally wrong with him now. Saying that someone isn't going to win a title isn't exactly a bold claim...there are many great athletes that don't win championships, but his reasoning is disturbing. I also think someone should tell Cowherd that Mr. Rondo is playing alongside 3 potential (or likely) hall of famers. Put Rondo on a bad team and he'd be average (maybe a litle above average). Cowherd's comments have actually made me not want to watch SportsNation anymore.

Posted by: swishjobs | November 12, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Well done! the guy has a cbs sitcom now (or a tv show based loosely on his life). that's just what this guy does and everyone went for the bait. at the end of the day john wall fans are unhappy and he's even better off.
link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/espn-radio-host-cowherd-lands-45197

Posted by: l3lay | November 15, 2010 4:48 AM | Report abuse