Colin Cowherd rants on John Wall

By Dan Steinberg

The thing about people like Colin Cowherd is this: they say dumb stuff so that gullible people will write down the dumb stuff they say, and then other people will react with possibly misspelled outrage, and then they'll get to see their name on web logs, chuckling with sinister satisfaction in their secret lairs. The only real antidote is to ignore them.

Usually I'm fairly good at this. I mean, I try. However, a reader advised me to listen to Cowherd's thoughts on John Wall's home opener, and I stupidly complied. And now Cowherd has lured me into typing up his thoughts, and within moments he'll be chuckling with sinister satisfaction in his secret lair.

So please, please forgive me.

Before I get started, four facts.

1) Amid a crush of media and fan requests, John Wall has mostly refrained from dancing since his arrival in Washington, certainly in any non-media setting. However, before Tuesday night's game, assistant coach Sam Cassell -- a man who owns three NBA championship rings -- urged Wall to do a dance for the home crowd, which he did. Enthusiastically.

2) In his first three NBA games, Rajon Rondo had 9 assists and 5 turnovers, for a ratio of 1.8-1. Through his first three NBA games, John Wall has 31 assists and 14 turnovers, for a ratio of 2.2-1.

3) After the game, Comcast SportsNet's Chris Miller grabbed Wall for a post-game interview and gushed like this: "One steal shy of a triple-double, what a night to open up this building young fella, welcome to the NBA!"

"Yeah, it was great, man, the one thing I want to really work on, though -- great win for the team -- but turnovers," Wall lamented. "I came back in and had nine or eight. That's too many turnovers for this team."

That was the very first thing he said after the game.

4) This is a video of Magic Johnson doing the John Wall Dance.

Ok, cover your eyes. Here's Colin.

"Much like I called out Greg Oden, I'm gonna call out John Wall....Before the game started, he spent 34 seconds doing the Dougie. That tells me all I need to know about J-Wow. Then he opened his mouth later and confirmed it: not a sharp guy. All about him. In that line last night, that 29-point line, when he was out of control, he had 8 turnovers. By the way, Rajon Rondo had 17 assists last night, 0 turnovers. Rajon's got rings, Wall will never have one.

"Folks, when you rob a bank, it's not just the act of it, it's that you sat down for weeks and planned it. That tells me you're an idiot. The act is just the final icing on the cake. The cake is you sat down for weeks and planned it. I always give people credit just for getting a job. If you interview with 300 people and get the job, you beat 300 people out for a job, you've got to have some skill-set.

"Oh, I'm gonna get a lot of callers -- Colin, he's just having fun. What he did last night, Rondo never would, Isiah never would, J. Kidd never would, Stockton never would, Nash never would, Magic never would. Point guard is like the quarterback. it's an IQ-judgment position. The great ones are not about themselves. They're about the others. Leadership is IQ, it's not skills.

"J Wow's 37-second Yo dawg look at me I'm the man [dance], and his wild, out-of-control style, everybody else is buying his stock, and it told me all I need to know. He's gonna end up on the Iverson, Francis, Starbury [side]: great stats, nine All-Star teams, never play with good smart players and an elite head coach. He's gonna drive people nuts.

"It's not robbing the bank, it's that you planned it. It's not just doing the Doggie (sic) for 35 seconds, it's that you really thought before the game, this is gonna be super cool and people will like me. The wrong people. You all, go read the John Wall box score. Everybody's fascinated. ESPN SportsCenter will probably do like 9 minutes on it. I'll take the Rondo box score: 3 boards, 9 points, 17 assists, 4 steals, no turnovers....

"You could see it before the game started. Magic would never consider doing that. It's just who he is. And you think he's gonna change now that they gave him $75 million? Oh yeah, I'm sure he's gonna life change now. It's not robbing the bank, partner; it's that you planned it. It's not just the act, it's that you thought about it and thought it was a great idea....

"My daughter's 10. Ten years old. She knows the difference between right and wrong. My daughter knows what Randy Moss did is wrong. She's 10. The haves get it early, the have-nots never do. Look at me, I'm great, I'm unbelievable.

"You go look, we have a Hall of Fame point guard right now, his name is Rondo. Go look at his numbers....The best distributor in the league, and all we'll pay attention to is John Wall. Rondo is your superstar point guard, but we will spend hours on John Wall. I'd take Rondo in a heartbeat....When I see Wall dropping 29, you know what Wall's thinking tonight? Man, that dance was good, I might get 39 tonight. Great. Nine (sic) turnovers and 29 points. Welcome to the back of the class, get behind the Celtics, the Lakers and the Heat.

By Dan Steinberg  | November 3, 2010; 3:44 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan's inner monologue
Next: Larry Michael chimes in on McNabb's benching

Comments

Man who is this clown? But I do like how he nicknamed John Wall J-WOW.

that's what i kept saying last night...

announcer: john wall blows by jru holiday for the 10th time in the game, he goes up to the rim, AND ONE! ... WOW

after witnessing his post game remarks... WOW this kid is humble

looking at his box score and notice the 9 stls is not assists...WOW

seeing he had 13 assists in his 3rd game in the league...WOW

J-WOW he's good!

Posted by: Havemercyplz | November 3, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Steve Nash might have something to say about being the best distributor in the league

Posted by: Walshmobile | November 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The Dougie was obviously a tribute to returning ex-Wiz coach Doug Collins.

Posted by: Bobtimist | November 3, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

hear, hear. the irony, though, is that you misspelled chuckling.

Posted by: rooster13 | November 3, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

It was infuriating until he called Rondo a Hall of Famer.

What a retard.

Posted by: beach3 | November 3, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I think we've finally found someone more out of touch than Wilbon

Posted by: fushezzi | November 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Either Wall has the local media fooled, or Cowherd spends more time lecturing his 10 year old on why so and so is a bad person than he does watching games.

Posted by: tha_prophet | November 3, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Fact: Shaq has never ever drawn attention to himself. That's why he has zero rings. Same can be said of Kobe. Selfish players with no rings... wait?

Posted by: bsmiller25 | November 3, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what Colin Cowherd has to say...like you said, he just does it to get attention. What a dbag.

And, yes I will say he's doing it for fun, to rile the home crowd up. What do you expect? That was his home debut. And if you've listened to all his interviews you'd know he's the last thing from a "me person." He's said it time and time again that it's all about the team.

Quit finding things to hate on, stop being a hater.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 3, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The All Out Show on Sirius XM Shade 45 spent an entire 30 minute segment complaining about how long John Wall did The Dougie during the pregame intros.

Wall, quite simply, is the man.

Posted by: sasrza | November 3, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Anther famous comment from Colin Cowherd:

"Barack Obama is never going to be president. Not going to happen. He looks like he's 12 years old. Ain't happening, sorry."

More on the genius Colin Cowherd:

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I love those four facts and how they completely erase any credibility Cowherd has on the subject. Just another pathetic attempt by another journalist trying to get publicity.

The cake... the cake of this article is that Cowherd actually sat down and planned to write this article about a guy he knows nothing about. That right there shows me he's an idiot.

Posted by: MillBurray | November 3, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

All good points, Dan and everyone else, but you forgot to factor this into the equation: Cowherd doesn't listen to things like "facts" and "logical reasoning." Instead, he prefers to live in his own little crazy world and at least pretend that he believes these ridiculous things.

Also, Rondo is really, really good -- definitely one of the best point guards in the league right now -- but since when did he become the standard for which to measure all other young point guards upon?

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | November 3, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd needs to go jump in the lake...

Posted by: justmy2 | November 3, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I am pretty sure he just follows sports stories for big markets he isn't doing well in and then tries to bait the fans into going nuts over some rant that even he knows is crap. I know I fell for it.

Posted by: lavar609 | November 3, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lavar609 | November 3, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

sports in general has a gross epidemic of middle aged white guys commenting on contemporary african american/latino/punk culture. and 9 times out of 10, they have no idea what theyre talking about.

Posted by: ryjufox3 | November 3, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

WOW! There's no way a human being employed, i.e. who gets paid money, to give his thoughts about a subject actually said such idiotic things. I mean, WOW. I don't believe it. Nothing in the world could make me believe it. You could show me video and I wouldn't believe it.

Posted by: grimesman | November 3, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

How can you take the fact that a PG is worried about his turnover on a night he nearly got a triple double...how can you find a negative in that? How can you take that to be a selfish thing?

The real tragedy here is that a moron like this is allowed to raise another human being.

Posted by: tundey | November 3, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

If dbag is in the dictionary, there's a picture of Cowherd waving and doing his "I think I'm cool" look. He has a hatred for DC, maybe because we rejected his show. Ironically, he does the very thing he accuses Wall of, but his "hey look at me" is saying dumb stuff to get a rise out of people

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | November 3, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd is an ego maniac himself. That's the kettle calling the pot black... John Wall is a rookie, he wants to have fun, so what's wrong with dancing? The only reason the other guys Cowman mentioned did not dance is because they can't! Cowdung must be a Beantown homer.... He thinks he is too sophisticated to get down with the dawgs and anyone that does is beneath him! What a pompous windbag!!

Hey Cowtip, you'd lick Rondo's sweat off the parque floor if they let you.

Posted by: sd-bones | November 3, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Look, that Colin guy is just a stupid idiot.

Only his 3rd game. I've heard of guys having 9 blocks, but never 9 steals before. Steals are gold.

He'll certainly cut down on the turnovers.

Basically, a steal atones for a turnover so if you look at it, the net turnovers were minus one 13 assists no turnovers AND 29 points on 9 for 16 shooting

If this guy stays healthy he's going to be a mega superstar. Chris Paul, Rondo whom I love, and Deron Williams don't have this this type of talent.

It's plain to see this guy is at another level.

Posted by: Dog6 | November 3, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Rondo proclaims he is best guard in the NBA (http://www.wildcatworld.com/?p=9765)

Yeah, he is real introverted and not about himself.

Posted by: goose33 | November 3, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

John Wall dancing on Opening Night is the *worst* thing to happen since Ozzie Smith did all those flips on Opening Day with Cardinals. Remember how *terrible* they were and how everybody hated them?

Posted by: wfyurasko | November 4, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

The only thing shocking about any of this is someone actually took the time out of their day to listen to Colin Cowherd.

Posted by: DangerNat | November 4, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

1) I'll be more than happy to take 8 turnovers if it means getting 29 points, 13 assists, and 9 steals LOL

2) Anyone who makes a living by being on a sports show that makes their money off joking around, shouldn't be hating on someone showing off their dance moves.

3) Steinberg, you were right, I can't believe I wasted time responding to this!

Posted by: swishjobs | November 4, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Cowherd is typical ESPN garbage; find something that "no one else has noticed" (so you can show how attentive to sports you are and therefore are better than the average sports fan) and then rant, rant, rant about it. Really, if you're going criticize Wall about something, criticize him for his abysmal jumper. Not for his dancing.

Cowherd is like the hellspawn of a mating ritual between Keith Olberman and Glenn Beck.

Posted by: RCBJr | November 4, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I dont care much for the look-at-me dance J Wow did as I don't think a player should be trying to put the spotlight on himself in a team game *however* that dance was freaking hilarious to watch.

Posted by: sjp879 | November 4, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Cowherd always makes over-the-top comments, that's his shtick. He knows practically nothing about sports, but makes these grand pronouncements like he's speaking from a burning bush. Quoting anything that he says is silly because it's all for effect.

Posted by: randysbailin | November 4, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Couple people said it before but remember

COWHERD DOES EVERYTHING FOR RATINGS. DO NOT FALL FOR IT. He did this 6 weeks ago about the reds. Talk crap about a team in a city that he's not getting good ratings, get it printed in the local newspaper and then sit back and take angry calls while his ratings go up. The best possible thing is to ignore this dude. Cowherd is a d-bag, he's the kid who didnt get enough attention growing up. Ignore his ass and he wont be on the air here anymore

Posted by: zvick11 | November 4, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

So, Ron Artest now has a ring after going into the stands and being part of one of the ugliest incidents in recent NBA history.

But Wall isn't going to get a ring because he did a dance as a rookie before a game started?

Give me a break.

Rondo is a veteran NBA player. He's on a team with 3 other players that are all-stars and have been in the league for 10 years.

Wall will be close to a championship too when he has a trio like Garnett, Pierce and Allen to play ball with.

Right now he is out there with the Washington Generals.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | November 4, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I didn't read this stupid column. And I change the channel if that idiot Cowherd happens to come on. Come on, Steinberg, you're better than this.

Posted by: shanks1 | November 4, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

C-Cow has always been an idiot. His commentary matters little to anyone. Just more daily evidence of his reality.

Posted by: opinionatedinfairfax | November 4, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Just out of curiousity, why are we defending the boorish behaviour of John Wall?, which is what Cowherd's criticism was directed at. It's one thing to dance The Dougie for your intro, it's quite another to do it for 30+ seconds. You ever see a touchdown dance last that long?

DocHolliday1906 said:
"He has a hatred for DC, maybe because we rejected his show."

Spoken like someone who doesn't listen to Cowherd's show or have much knowledge of the show beyond what you've read on the net. He's praised the Redskins this season as much as anyone, which he did again in yesterday's show.

Posted by: Fitz157 | November 4, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Guess Colin Cowherd missed Wall's comment about his turnovers after the game. Never let facts get in the way of a good story, eh?

Posted by: stwasm | November 4, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Who is this country other than his 10 y.o. daughter gives a crap about Colin Cowturd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: eddie5 | November 4, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The only thing you need to know about Cowherd in terms of his knowledge of basketball is that he was trashing Durant pre-draft for his inability to bench press so-and-so lbs and run the length of the court within such-and-such time. His conclusion, Greg Oden the obvious #1 pick. Nuff said about that particular clown.

Posted by: neeko | November 4, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd = Michael Wilbon

Posted by: Samuraise | November 4, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

What a knuckle head.

Posted by: carterm1 | November 4, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Is it because my low IQ that I think the bank analogy is really poor? Do they give people jail time based on the number of weeks it took to plan a robbery? Perhaps his 10 year old could provide him better analogies before the show.

Posted by: M__N | November 4, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Shaq has 4 rings, 2 movies, a rap album, and a series called shaq vs. I think being an egomaniac in real life and playing on the court are two different things. Wall had 14 ast and would have more if teammates knocked down more shots. And really 3 games to define Wall's whole career as iverson/marbury is a small sample size.

Posted by: jefferu | November 4, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hey... maybe Coward will bring up how Sean Taylor was a thug and probably brought on his lethal gunshot wound by engaging in gang-like behaviour again.

Posted by: sa11231 | November 4, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

This guy has a extremely inflated ego . He is a person who was given a forum to voice his opinion ( a radio show). For whatever reason folks are drawn to controversy and that's his resume.... For some reason just being around athletics gives these kind of guys the idea that they are authorities on sports in general...You just watch hell want an interview with Wall sometime this season and he'll be kissing butt royaly

Posted by: zojoy1962 | November 4, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Colin is old and crusty and spews a lot of garbage...don't take it to heart, Zards fans.

Posted by: cbanderson5 | November 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Cow*her'd - A herd of cows

This is a perfect example of a stuff-shirt white man who takes something a young Black man does totally out of proportion to justify his own pen-is envy and inner bigot.

The dance was way too long. It was done in the spirit of fun. No more, no less.

And No way would this idiot have spouted off the same way had this been a white player of same age, etc. No way would this moron have sought to attack the rep of a white rookie kid for 'goofing off' and likened him to a criminal unless that white kid was Jason Williams ('who plays like a Black guy').

The short-dicks always need someone to blame for their own insecurities and will go to extreme lengths to expose their true feelings. And do so knowing that they have the support of other short-dicks who employ them.

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 4, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Cowherd = Cowterd

Posted by: bbirdy202 | November 4, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Colin's obviously trying to get in on the Skip Bayless, contrarian/heel role on ESPN. I'm sure he's angling for some First Take,PTI,Around The Horn show with a higher profile, cuz that show he does is D!(K.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 4, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Cowherd is just another Jim Rome.

@Kahlua87 If this was a racial issue then I don't think Cowherd would have anything good to say about 97% of the NBA. He's not a racist just an idiot.

Posted by: nperazich | November 4, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Cowherd is a CLOWN. Just tune him out!

Posted by: mjwies11 | November 4, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Cowherd has a point albeit delivered foolishly?

I would prefer to see John Wall dance after the championship ring ceremony.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | November 4, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

what a fool! some people just shouldn't be on the air.

Posted by: vhaggart | November 4, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Um, who is Colin Cowherd? Anyway, John Wall just getting on the scene seems to have done quite well for himself thus far. It would be nice to see Gilbert get his game together with John; realizing that Gilbert would have to be the supporting role in the situation. These two could be very dangerous.

Posted by: darylandmelanie1 | November 4, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Rajon's got rings, Wall will never have one.
--------------------------
I thought the dance was also dumb and stupid, but for Colin Cowterd to say something is even more dumber. And Colin of course John Wall doesn't have one, because he's been in the league for 4 games now.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | November 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

nperazich, I can't dismiss this as him just being a jerk. I don't see him going after a white guy goofing off and comparing him to a criminal or comparing him to guys who've had character issues...based off a dance.

There is nothing in John Wall's past or character that warrants those comparisons so what ELSE could it be?

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 4, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd = 100% Grade A A$S

Posted by: richs91 | November 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Forget about Cowherd who obviously cannot stand the fact that John Wall was not acting white enough for him. Just enjoy watching our golden boy grow and prosper! Did you notice that Flip Saunders beam like a proud father when he talks about Wall? I am so happy for both Sanders and Wall that they appreciate each other. They are both hard-working, fierce competitors. DC finally got some real deals!

Posted by: motherforobama | November 4, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Dude obviously does not understand our culture.

Posted by: TheDubb | November 4, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd = obvious troll is obvious.
The guy is a paid troll. Ignore the troll.

Posted by: wbbradb | November 4, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Rondo is a Hall of Famer? Really? I thought you had to play well for more than three years to be a Hall of Famer?

He may get there, but he must continue producing and not get injured.

Posted by: BT23 | November 4, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I am a big believe in the notion that every man has a right to make a living no matter how terrible he is at his job as long as he is not causing any harm. But that Cowherd moron is one person out of the entire ESPN campus I wouldn't mine if they fire him on the principles of being an idiot. Better yet i won't even pretend to care about loss of a human life if that guy gets crushed by a bus tomorrow. People that egotistical and brain dead with no discernable talent shouldn't be allowed to comment on anything that requires use of the brain.

Posted by: PlzGodCome | November 4, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

kahlua87,

It sounds like you don't listen to Cowherd much, if at all. He's gone after guys like Roethlisberger and John Daly for their poor off the field/course behaviour. He was one of the first to suggest that the NFL should suspend Roethlisberger. He's also been an ardent defender of Kobe, Lebron and McNabb. In fact I'd argue that there is no bigger supporter of McNabb in the mainstream sports media than Cowherd.

Posted by: Fitz157 | November 4, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

This fool is still on the radio? I got tired of his idiocracy years ago. So glad when 106.7 came on and I haven't listened to 980 since just because of this guy. All he e er wants to talk about is how nice his trophy wife is. The turd is a front runner down to the core. I have not and will not listen to espn radio until he is gone.

Posted by: deiulay | November 4, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

email the joker:

theherd@espnradio.com

Posted by: magnetic54 | November 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Cowturd's national show is bumped by Kornheiser every day on ESPN in DC. So now the turd hates all things DC. He knew we'd hear about his comments. He's just blowin' some turd gas our way, no big deal.

Hey Cowturd...Kornheiser is your daddy.

Posted by: howjensen | November 4, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is the Limbaugh of sports-talk radio. Overblown d-bag.

Posted by: WaPoPimp | November 4, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I actually generally like Cowherd's style and opinions as he brings a different and more cerebral perspective than most sports talk guys. That being said- his rant on Wall was moronic. Wall is already a superstar and a winner-type, and will be for a long time.

Posted by: Terpsgo | November 4, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I stopped listening to Cowherd back during the 2006 Presidential elections when he went on a rant about how John Kerry clearly wasn't suited to be President. I didn't feel that I needed some some loud mouthed sportswriter forcing his right wing political beliefs on me. Since then, every time a hear a snippet of that imbecile's show, his voice is the only voice you hear, and he's always on some nonsensical rant about something or other. And yet he's got the nerve to talk about someone else's I.Q. Cowherd is to sports jounalism as a boil is to my backside.

Posted by: sonny2 | November 4, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

After i took a dump this morning, i looked down into the abyss and thought to myself - "Wow, that one looks just like Colin Cowherd".

Posted by: JONJJ | November 4, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I quit listening to Cowturd after I'd heard maybe three of his shows. The jerk thinks he is smarter than everyone else for no apparent reason, that any truly intelligent person could discern. He is a narcissist and probably dangerous to himself and others.

I would appreciate it if you just went back to ignoring him and never bring up his name again.

Posted by: worgadd1 | November 4, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

THE DOUGIE IS GAY. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN SEEING JOHN WALL DANCE LIKE A WOMAN. MAYBE HE SHOULD TRY A DIFFERENT DANCE THAT MORE PEOPLE WOULD LIKE...INSTEAD EVERYONE IS LAUGHING AT HIM (AND ALL DOUGIE DANCERS), NOT WITH HIM (THEM).

TO OUR DISMAY, COLIN GOT IT RIGHT. AS A WIZARDS FAN AND PREVIOUS SEASON TICKET HOLDER, I HOPE HE'S WRONG IN THE LONG RUN, AND JOHN WALL CUTS THE SHENANIGAN'S AND STAYS FOCUSED ON BASKETBALL, INCLUDING PRE-GAME.

WE WON, AND JOHN WALL IS GOOD...BUT I CAN ABSOLUTELY UNDERSTAND COWHERD'S EXPLANATORY THOUGHTS. MAKES SENSE...THERE IS SOME FORESIGHT THERE, AND IT IS HARD TO DISAGREE...I'LL TAKE RONDO (AND ABOUT 10 OTHER PG'S) OVER WALL...SO FAR!

I CAN SEE THE MAKINGS OF ANOTHER STARBURY...A WASTE OF OUR MONEY AND OUR TIME.

Posted by: gogolpost | November 4, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Cowherds a fool. Sure it was a little over the top but at least he didn't bring his guns to practice. He had TEAM RECORD NUMBER OF Steals is the highlight and at the end of the game and overtime the Wizards ACTUALLY LOOKED LIKE THEY KNEW WHAT TO DO AND PULLED OUT A WIN! That is the story here!

Posted by: jdb70 | November 4, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Never heard of this guy but he's an IDIOT.. and to say that Majic or Isiah never would is insane. Did he forget that Majic and Isiah would kiss each other center court????

Posted by: bfs515 | November 4, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

No dancing?? What is this "Footloose"? I doubt this Cowturd guy can even be related to Kevin Bacon by any degrees of separation- as he is so far out of touch with contempory reality.

Somebody call Polly the parrot- I think he lost his cracker and it's now impersonating a sportswriter.

Posted by: flyingtrees | November 4, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flyingtrees | November 4, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd is a jerk and am a_ _. John Wall is just starting out and had better stats than Rondo did when he started. Rondo is turning out to be a wonderful star for the Celtics(my favorite team), John Wall will be there very soon. He is a bright, smart and skillful player. Cowherd - you are a Jerk!

Posted by: lvdave | November 4, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, since when did dancing make you a mass murderer? Unlike the overhyped Miami Heat superstar who used to dance on the sideline with his teammates during the game, Wall did his dance before the game. Like most of sports talk radion, Cowherd just needed something to talk about. He rarely has an original thought in his brain. Didi you catch his Halloween copycat act of PTI? Lame, lamer, lamest!

Posted by: JAMNEW | November 4, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Mr Steinberg, why would you waste good ink on that clown Cowherd? He's obnoxious and annoying and is not worthy of your column space. Please do us all a favor and not reprint the idiotic rants of Clownherd again.

Posted by: tbonesr | November 4, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what Colin Cowherd thinks about anything. Next thing you know there's going to be a column about what Andy Pollin and Steve Czaban think. Yikes!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | November 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Tells you all you need to know about Colin Cowherd. He's Jim Rome without the goatee. Lowest common denominator clown. All of ESPN's national programming is pure garbage, except for their late-night show with Jason Smith. (And even that isn't so great.)

Posted by: drischord | November 4, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Now I remember why I listened to Cowherds radio show once for about 10 minutes and never again!

Posted by: caps888 | November 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Boo hoo. Lets throw a fit cause a national sports radio guy picks on your local team.

Posted by: chevyracing_man | November 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Fitz157: I've listened to Cowherd. And I stand by my statements. Him going after Daly and Big Ben does not change the fact that he labeled a young Black guy a 'Criminal' for 'Dancing' and disparaged a guy that has done NOTHING wrong except have a little fun at his first home opener to excite his fanbase.

Team MASCOTS have done more than that to excite the fans; Are they 'Criminals' too? Are they liable to rob banks?

Who decides who's a 'Looter' and who's a 'Survivor' (remember Katrina?).

I'm glad dude above posted his email; I'm hitting him up right now.

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Damn, it sure feels good to know that many others see Cowherd for the totally worthless talking head he is.

I love listening to talk radio, but I would rather jam sharpened pencils into my ears than listen to Cowherd.

Posted by: suliman215 | November 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd is an example of what is wrong with sportstalk radio.....people who state and talk knowledge, but in effect really do not know anything and do not have an ounce of logic. This is same person that trashed Sean Taylor right after his death in a cold callous way on his program. From that point forward, whenever he comes on my radio or my TV screen, I flip the channel or cut off the device....Ignorant people are not worth nor do they deserve one moment of my time...

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | November 4, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What an idiot, why compare Rondo, who is no doubt a championship caliber point to J-Wall, a rookie, no sense in doing that.

The kid is having fun, at home, the #1 pick in the draft, a unique talent, don't compare him to those others, dumbass.

Posted by: franktiger | November 4, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ray Lewis have his pregame dance, d. Howard have a pregame dance, king Jame have a pregame dance. D list goes on. A 20 year kid dance 4 the fans in his 1st home game, it a big deal. Next year if stay healthty will be a top 3 point guard in d NBA.

Posted by: Alhajie004 | November 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the dance again on Youtube, Cowherd is an idiot for inferring as much based off of that dance. Colin usually comes strong but he came weak on this one.

Posted by: Eman8 | November 4, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I just looked it up in Websters Unabridged Dictionary:

"Cowherd: to be clueless or uninformed while also being of, from or related to a d-bag"

Posted by: lost_confused_idelaist | November 4, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alhajie004 | November 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Post of the day. Cowherd would never talk smack to those guys about anything, he'd dance around making excuses as to why when they dance its ok but because of XYZ John Wall can't.

Colin uses this schtick of tying in the business world to sports. You can tell he reads alot of business literature, and he uses it to fill his show with moral lessons etc.

On this he is just using big HOF names to make an invalid comparison. With all due respect Magic got AIDS while cheating on his wife, Isiah sexually harassed women in the work place, Rondo was making tons of mistakes on the court his rookie season. But what did any of that have to do with their performance on the court? John Wall did a dance. Get over it.

Posted by: Eman8 | November 4, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Kahlua87:

Cowherd never labelled John Wall a criminal. You're looking for bigotry where there is none.

If anything you're the bigot since you explicitly labelled Cowherd a "short-dick." Care to explain that one? Or is it only ok because you're an anonymous poster on the internet?

Posted by: Fitz157 | November 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is by far the best show on the radio. It is too bad that Snyder won't let him broadcast on 980 due to his criticism of the Redskins.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 4, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Cowturd, Czaben, Chad Dukes and the Sports Junkies are all idiots that do not deserve air time. They are the true "Yo dawg look at me I'm the man" because I have "undeserved" air time in the sport's media.

Posted by: DuhHumanity | November 4, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is the biggest D-Bag on ESPN. And that's saying something. Plus he's, you know, an idiot. No idea why anyone listens to that clown.

Posted by: js_edit | November 4, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

ESPN should fire Cowherd. This isn't the first time he has been this unprofessional and personally vindictive.

Posted by: johnc_80 | November 4, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

"THE DOUGIE IS GAY. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN SEEING JOHN WALL DANCE LIKE A WOMAN."
posted by gogolpost
~~~
Now,see that is my problem with the dance as well.It looks gay, but so do skinny jeans.
It's generational I guess.
~~
@Fitz & Kahlua.

I get both your points and agree...with both, for what it's worth to you two.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 4, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tha_prophet | November 3, 2010 4:18 PM
excellent post, tha_prophet

Posted by: time1 | November 4, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

cowherd is almost un-listenable. he's awful. everything he says comes with an analogy and a poor one at that.

Posted by: DCFanatic | November 4, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is an example the cynicism that infests the sports media these days.
Every athlete is a show-off,me-firster that only cares about himself in their minds. The new sports media also sees them as insincere, phony & trouble-prone.

There are "Cowherds" on every website, and TV station. Somehow, the worm turned w/sports reporters and the sports they cover, where the reporter started to secretly despise the subjects to whom he was assigned...to find them contemptible. A few still understand the patronage that must go back and forth between jocks and journalists, without seeming a suck-up and getting the story/interview they want. But, not many.

I don't take this guy seriously, all of us see it here in the DMV, the kid is good.
~~~

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 4, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

When did the worm turn gang? When did reporters start to find athletes so contemptible?

I have my theories....
University of Miami Football-The 80s-the swagger, strutting and athlectic arrogance the U. brought to college ball started a drumbeat of condemnatory diatribes,rants and screeds about show-ing up opponents as well as a slew of anti-celebration rules that continues to this day in football.

The O.J. trial-don't have to explain.

Turn of the century(the country simply has become b.i.t.c.h.i.e.r.-all of us).

911-(residual anger mis-directed as sports/athletes)-Remember, how pressed the country was to tell the sports world how unimportant it was in the days following 911? Could be some carryover contempt,eh?

Michael Vick-don't have to explain, do I?

Rae Carruth-murder of pregnanat girlfriend perhaps soured many sports reporters.

Keyshawn Johnson-was among the 1st of the super selfish, mouthy next generation NFL WRs-that rubbed many reporters the wrong way.
Roger Goodell becomes NFL commissioner-(I just can't stand this dude so I blame him for all the world's ills.)
Georgetown Basketball-80s
UNLV Basketball- Early 90s
Michigan Basketball-Fab Five

Thoughts?

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 4, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

This imbecile's name says all you need to know about him---- Collin Cow-ARD, he is and always will be a sorry,no-talent,shock jock for wanna-be jocks. How he could slam in so many half-truths and incorrect opinionated viewpoints in such a short time is a tribute to his born mediocrity. Now I have wasted 3-4 minutes of my life (that I will never get back) on this schmoe and his schlock. John Wall has been everything the Wizards could have asked for and more, I'll take him over ANYBODY, because he is the best now,no--because he is on my team in my former city pure and simple. So Coward piss off,take your brown nose out of Bean Towns a$$ and remember this stupid little outburst when it comes back on your sorry no-account rear end for the next oh 10-15 years. GO WIZARDS!****** and COWARD when your geriatric Celtics run out of Geritol in the next year in the most come back to us about how great your boy Rondo (no disrespect to him he is a great player,with unfortunately tasteless morons for fans) is when he is left with Baby Chubby and the 3 kings (Garnett,Allen & Pierce) are in their retirement chairs and Rondo is all they have left, then we'll chat.**** And Dan smart people use spell-check before they hit send.

Posted by: mfowler1 | November 4, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh and by the way about that Magic Johnson comment there Coward, methinks Dan put the smack down on that incorrect analogy eh?

Posted by: mfowler1 | November 4, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mfowler1 | November 4, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Come on man. Rondo is like in his fourth year. Out the box, Wall is already ahead of him. Rondo has evolved. Wall will as well to. Wall will put more pressure on defenses. Wall greater upside period.

Posted by: cwhiteco | November 5, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Colin really plays you clowns like a fiddle. The fact of the matter is Wall was moronic for doing the dance. Your idiotic Wizards overpaid Arenas when no one else would and now you've reaped what you've sown.

You overpaid for Haynesworth and he bent you over. You get McNabb and then bench him...priceless.

I'm sorry Washington fans, but you'll never be the Lakers. Wall won't be a hall of famer like Rondo. You'll always be the comedy hour of the NBA. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Love it.

Colin owns you.

Sorry.

Posted by: bklchamp | November 5, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

A 20-year old, first round pick, playing in the their home season-opener can do whatever. Call it youthful exuberance. This franchise could sure the heck use it. Bitter 3rd string ESPN hack can suck it.

Posted by: ljo211 | November 5, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse