Cowherd on fathers and leadership

By Dan Steinberg

I know it's reprehensible of me to continue giving free publicity to a publicity-hungry sports-talk radio yahoo, but I do this for two reasons.

1) When Colin Cowherd maligned John Wall's leadership potential due to his deceased father on Thursday, some people thought that's not really what he meant. On Friday, he made it clear that yes, that's what he really meant, so I figured I should set that record straight.

2) I think there's some value in preserving the vile things people say, just so a record is out there.

Is the end result that Cowherd will get more publicity and that my blog will traffic off the overflow attention? Yeah. So I'll try to watch myself. But once more, for this week, here's Cowherd on Wall:

"I got killed on this John Wall thing, and I laugh about it, because I think I'm right and I say it....Oh by the way, what do I always say? Winners hang with winners. Leaders hang with leaders. Losers hang with losers. Dopes hang with dopes....Smart guys, leaders hang out with leaders. Who is John Wall's best friend on the team? Gilbert Arenas. They're inseparable. Think Magic Johnson, Stockton would buddy up with Gilbert Arenas? Really?....

"Big difference between talented and leader. And if you go back and you look at great leaders, they are very rarely from troubled childhoods. They have strong fathers. John Wall - and it's not his fault, nobody's saying it is - comes from a rough upbringing. That doesn't mean you can't be a nice player. if you go look at the history of the NBA - Magic Johnson, strong father. Michael Jordan, strong father. It's not a coincidence. Kobe Bryant, strong father....

"Now, there are exceptions. LeBron James is one. But don't we all question LeBron James's leadership? Don't we all question his heart? I mean, you folks do much more than I do, but don't we all say that LeBron is sort of missing something? Lot of people do. Now, I think LeBron's great. But boy, I'll tell you, that's the overwhelming media and fan felling on LeBron. He just doesn't have that leadership It, whatever It is. Just let the local meatballs attack me for John Wall. That's why they're local meatballs."

For the record, Wall's father died when he was almost 9. George Washington's father died when he was 11. Andrew Jackson's father died before he was born. "Now, there are exceptions." Anyhow, neither Washington nor Jackson was a great leader in the NBA.

Cowherd also cited this Wall Street Journal item which suggested that Wall's numbers thus far are most analogous to those of Stephon Marbury. He cited it quite triumphantly.

"Thank you. Thank you, Wall Street Journal. That's all I said. He's more Marbury than Magic. Now I've been validated."

By Dan Steinberg  | November 12, 2010; 3:53 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Shanahan-McNabb song
Next: Trent Cole: McNabb not difficult to defend

Comments

Cowherd is divorced. He and his ex-wife have two kids. I have a funny feeling his kids might lack "it" because Daddy was too involved talking about his trips to the gym and spewing cloaked racist nonsense to spend time making them feel loved.

Posted by: beach3 | November 12, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

My friend is a fan of Cowturd, and tells me to listen to his show...after his rant on the deceased Sean taylor I vowed never to listen to this punk POS...then he made the initial Wall comments and Im thinking this guy is just a blow hard...now this, im speechless...guys like this need to be punched in the face, repeatedly.

Posted by: bcrawfo1 | November 12, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Who is John Wall's best friend on the team? Gilbert Arenas.

------------------

Cowherd is a man who trolls people for a living. Even assuming that Cowherd has any inside information to confirm that his above statement is true, you know what he would say if Arenas and Wall DIDN'T get along? "Leaders need to lead no matter what. They have to find a way even if they don't like the cast they're given. That's what leaders do. SEE WALL IS NOT A LEADER."

/considers himself trolled

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | November 12, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I want to be outraged, but my heart isn't in it. It's just such a transparent effort at trolling that I can't work up any real anger.

I'll boycott SportsNation, and Beadle's boobies, but that's about it.

Posted by: tha_prophet | November 12, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

1000s of Famous Fatherless People:

Cowherd is a clown.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 12, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Batman's parents wer killed when he was very young and he turned out fine.

Posted by: flipper5000 | November 12, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Batman's parents wer killed when he was very young and he turned out fine.

----------------------------------------

LMAO, that was golden...thank you for that

Posted by: bcrawfo1 | November 12, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

So Cowherd out of hand rejects Wall's ability to become a leader and win championships because: (1) he danced during introductions at his home debut; and (2) his father wasn't a significant part of his life. At least he's not making a snap judgment based on little data.

Posted by: gkronenberg | November 12, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Haha, Batman! flipper5000, you win!

Posted by: EYoung77 | November 12, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Let me just get this out of the way first so no one attacks me after my post: Colin Cowherd is not smart. He's very ambitious and has some talents as a radio guy (though what those talents are, I'm not quite sure), but he is anything but smart.

Now, on to my point. Cowherd is confusing 2 separate issues here. On the one hand, it unquestionably is much, much more difficult to succeed in life without a good father and mother in your life. But...this does not mean it is IMPOSSIBLE to succeed in life without a father. It just means it's more difficult.

But Wall has already succeeded beyond the expectations most people could ever dream of. And to say he can't continue to succeed and to say he can't be the point guard of a team that wins an NBA championship because his father died when he was young goes beyond stupid. That is low class, ignorant, and to me, he ought to be fired for it.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

who gives a F*&^ what Cow-nerd says?

He should concentrate seriously on getting better ratings, not on his be-ratings of rookie athletes.

To quote Cow-nerd,,,,, Losers hang with losers. Dopes hang with dopes.

oh, so that's what happened to his show! Way too many dopes and losers.

Posted by: wpspeaking | November 12, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

who gives a F*&^ what Cow-nerd says?

To quote Cow-nerd,,,,, Losers hang with losers. Dopes hang with dopes.

oh, so that's what happened to his show! Way too many dopes and losers.

Posted by: wpspeaking | November 12, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

who gives a F*&^ what Cow-nerd says?

To quote Cow-nerd,,,,, Losers hang with losers. Dopes hang with dopes.

oh, so that's what happened to his show! Way too many dopes and losers.

Posted by: wpspeaking | November 12, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Someone should stuff a basketball up Cow-Turd's colon, then he can talk about toughness and intestinal fortitude! By the way, wasn't that Magic Johnson hanging around John Wall last game? Hope Cow-Turd will not start attacking Magic and his promiscuous past. But he won't because Magic is defined as a winner and Cow-Turd is a Cow-ard.

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 12, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Does this buffoon ever stop? Where does all this hatred come from? Colin must've had a rough upbringing. How could anyone despise JW? I love everything about him. Cowturd is a pathetic old man trying to find something to hate on just for the sake of it. Where does he get the notion that JW is incapable of being a leader?

And his argument is not well taken. He says "Magic Johnson, strong father. Michael Jordan, strong father. It's not a coincidence. Kobe Bryant, strong father...." But the guy he is obsessed with and compared him to JW was Rondo, whose father didn't have an impact in his life. So how would he explain that?

F*** OFF COLIN.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 12, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Great post Barno.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 12, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

As a fellow guy named "Colin", Cowherd makes me hate everyone named Colin.

Thank you Cowherd, for making everyone think that "Colin's" are all insufferable dicks.

Also, didn't Gilbert Sr. raise Gil by himself? Haven't we heard about the close relationship between the two? Clearly, there is a strong correlation between the presence of fathers and the leadership abilities of their sons.

Posted by: cbm92 | November 12, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

larry birds father was a piece, yet he's one of the greatest ever. this a$$clown cowherd is a COWARD. his comments on sean ended any credibility he might have earned in radio.

Posted by: mark8132 | November 12, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark8132 | November 12, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark8132 | November 12, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Let's grant Cowherd's point that children raised without a father are more likely to be troubled. Fine.

But any time I hear someone making blanket statements about any group of people I know that person is speaking from ignorance and prejudice.

It is not a great leap to equate Cowherd's statements with those of Al Campanis all those years ago on 'Nightline' when he said Blacks don't have the mental ability to manage in the Big Leagues.

I'm not necessarily saying that Cowherd is racist. But some of his comments come dangerously close to it. Even if his beliefs are not racially motivated, they are based solely on generalizations, and 7 NBA games of actual evidence -- and I doubt that Cowherd has seen more than highlights of those games.

I applaud Dan Steinberg for not allowing these comments to go by without calling attention to them. Yes, it may only serve to hype Cowherd's show. But silence can be just as dangerous as hateful speech.

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | November 12, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Dan, keep pounding CC. Great Job!

btw... Wall's last two games...24 assists, 2 turnovers.

Posted by: Hondo5 | November 12, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Dan, keep pounding CC. Great Job!

btw... Wall's last two games...24 assists, 2 turnovers.

Posted by: Hondo5 | November 12, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Good job Dan, keep giving him more pub and a bigger audience.

Posted by: Parlett316 | November 12, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Kobe Bryant, strong father....Kobe Bryant, Rapist

Posted by: heathdog1119 | November 12, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jordan, strong father. Michael Jordan, degenerate gambler. Michael Jordan's degenerate gambling got his strong father murdered.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 14, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

This doof is a Glenn Beck wannabee. The question is, would he have the courage to make these comments to John Wall's face? No, probably not. He is free to hide behind his microphone and his first ammendment rights.

Posted by: ljo211 | November 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse