Posted at 10:32 AM ET, 11/17/2010

Daniels says Haynesworth play "will be addressed"

By Dan Steinberg

Albert Haynesworth's time on the ground Monday night has continued to be a hub of fan discontent, discussed on radio and TV shows, on the Internet, and at the men's civic organization meeting I addressed last night.

"Michael Vick was running around at the time and throwing a touchdown, another touchdown," Charles Mann said on TBD's Parker and Parker program. "It's unfortunate that that happened and it's unfortunate that he's doing these kinds of things, because he is an exceptional ballplayer."

Several Redskins players have apologized at length for the team's performance on their Twitter accounts, and none more extensively than Phillip Daniels. Tuesday evening, one fan asked him about that play.

"As fans its hard to believe all 22 guys were giving 100%. eg, What happened to Al on that play?" Nikhil Gupta wrote.

"Believe me," Daniels responded. "That kind of stuff will be addressed."

Daniels also got involved in a little back-and-forth with Chad Dukes over the latter's epic rant, which included a demand for Redskins reparations and repeated requests for Daniel Snyder to leave. Here's Daniels:

I listened to you rant and to be honest with you it was a little overboard. I have always been a fan of the show but to listen to you in this segment surprised me. I agree with only 20% of what you said. @LaVarArrington sat in the [background] encouraging you but he of all people should know what we go through as athletes. I won't come on here and get ugly because of the respect I have for the both of you but yes we are frustrated just as much as yourself and the fans are. Just disappointed that you would take it to the level you did and I will hold everything else until I meet you face to face.

Dukes responded:

sorry you feel that way Phil. I have enormous respect for you, but I've been a fan for 31 years. I feel what I said was valid.

And Daniels responded back:

I feel you but know what's going on and what we are going through before you just give up. Frustration gets the best of everybody and I'm very frustrated but refuse to let it win or beat me....Will do my best and I know the rest of the team will be all in. Keep your faith and it will be rewarded. I certainly hope it's real soon.

No matter what happens next, credit to Daniels for engaging Dukes and other fans on Tuesday night, without losing his temper or lashing out. There's no chance something like that would have happened 10 years ago.

By Dan Steinberg  | November 17, 2010; 10:32 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaRon Landry's pillow gestures
Next: This would be a good week to join the Redskins waitlist

Comments

Chad Dukes doesn't know what he's talking about, what a surprise!

Posted by: eternale5150 | November 17, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Sorry but the Dukes had it right. His rant was perfectly valid. Have faith in what? Changing to the 3-4 defense? Another coaching change in 2 years? Another 4-12 season?
Changing to the 3-4 is not going to be productive because too many teams run it now and the Skins have nowhere near the right personnel to run it, and if you spend draft picks on the D, guess what, the O-line is still going to suck

Posted by: Walshmobile | November 17, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Chad Duke is the reason I don't listen to the show. Lavar needs someone else working with him because L A is truly entertaining and brings valid points to the table. When I have listened to Chad it gets me upset and it only takes one of his daily tirades to make me quickly turn the dial. And believe me, I am not the only one who feels this way. I no longer listen to the show.

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | November 17, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

One more thing, the locker room needs to punish Albert. Nothing to extreme, just a couple of bumps and bruises will do.

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | November 17, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | November 17, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Chad Dukes' tirade was great radio and he spoke for me and I assume thousands of other Redskins fans who grew up in the D.C. area and have been forced to accept a poor-to-mediocre team since they last won the SB in Minneapolis in 1992.

LaVar isn't very insightful, lacks clarity in his comments and takes forever to make a point -- and many times I have no idea what he's trying to say.

Posted by: HonestBroker1 | November 17, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Phil is PHULL of it

Ain't no situation gonna be addressed.

He ain't about to go upside Albert's head, especially when he's done after this season anyway. If that was GONNA BE DONE, it woulda BEEN DONE BY NOW.

And caring what a radio dude said?

John Wall got every right to want to see Colon Coward face to face after the despicable BLANK he said about him, his father, etc. but that 19 year old ain't giving that loser a bit of his time.

This vet is actually caring what a radio dude thinks says alot about the actual state of mind out there. This dude's number ain't been called ALL season but yet he's gonna regulate something?

Gimme a break...

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 17, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

As ocho cinco would say, "child please!"

This team is more concerned with irrelevant stuff. They can stand there and fight over words of a radio commentators, but what did the do on the field! WHERE WAS HIS FIGHT BACK THEN. THE FIELD IS THE ONLY PLACE THAT MATTERS!!!

DUDE YOU JUST GOT YOUR BUTT KICKED ON NATIONAL TV, SORRY BUTT CHAD DUKES DOES NOT MATTER. AS A FAN, WE SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY WHATEVER WE WANT. YES, DUKES HAS A PLATFORM 99.9% OF US DON'T HAVE. BUT YOU GUYS ARE A SORRY FOOTBALL TEAM. I'VE COME TO ACCEPT THAT. YET, YOUR OWNER SELL THE HYPE AND DREAM EVERY YEAR, SO PEOPLE ARE GOING TO GET VERY F ING UPSET.

U KNOW HOW MANY FOLKS TURNED OFF THEIR TVs?

Posted by: oknow1 | November 17, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Remember that scene in the Full Metal Jacket, when Private Pile gets the hell beaten out of him by the rest of the members of his platoon (bars of soap wrapped in towels)? I think something like that should happen to Haynesworth (just need to figure out how to hold him down). God knows that scene played out over and over and over and over and over on MNF against the Skins. Boy there were a few players/coaches that I would have loved to whack with pure pleasure (think Pvt Joker whaling on Pvt Pile, unleashing all of his frustation after trying to help Pile, unsuccessfully, through boot camp). Maybe the Skins will be "born again hard" as Gunny Hartman put it, after that humiliating beat down...Of course upon which, Pile off's himself, along with Gunny Hartman.

Posted by: eello | November 17, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Like the previous post; I no longer listen to that station as well, and Dukes is just one of the reasons. The weekend crew is just as bad.

Between Dukes tirades and the profanity, I can find better radio. I had my younger son in the car with me one time when words came out the mouth the weekend crew that I thought was inappropriate for radio.

I love sportstalk radio with the opinions and discussions, but some jokers go too far with it.

Posted by: bris2 | November 17, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

LMAO...Dukes rant just ran again

CLASSIC!!

Aw, that was GREAT!! LMAO...

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 17, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

A thought going through Albert's mind as he lay on his belly: "Gott DAYUM! These (^&$%*#)&'s done scored ANUTTHA TD????? WTF!

Posted by: dcjazzman | November 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, the Caps are on tonight.

Posted by: playahatah | November 17, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Phil had one tackle. ONE, out of 89 tackles. He should tweet less.

Posted by: wbbradb | November 17, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Clearly the game was a disaster for the team and fans. Nonetheless, I think everyone needs to keep in mind that since ownership changed hands there has been little effort to build a team in the draft. In Bethard's day he built the league's best O line in two years...BECAUSE he knew that to win you have to have an O line. In the Snyder era we got two very fine O tackles (now gone) and what should be an all pro D end in Orakpo. Williams might prove out but he can't do it all alone. Regarding the D line, they (most of them) do their best but again young studs are needed badly. In summary, the team and the fans are paying for past owner interference in team management. I'm sure that Allen and Shanahan can bring a winner...IF...left alone.
Merry Christmas.

Posted by: fatdadret1 | November 17, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Chad 80%. Albert was a quitter but the other players tried. The problem is Dan Snyder. Dan Snyder should fire Haynesworth NOW and reduce his parking prices. People who live around the Beltway knew traffic would be horrible so they sold all their tickets. Skins should not schedule any Monday Night games until Snyder fixes the traffic problem or moves the Skins next to a Subway station.

Posted by: jercha | November 17, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Chill out Daniels, Dan Snyder was the root of Chad Dukes' smack down. Unfortunately some good, ass-busting, players got caught in the net but they’ll get over it. As fans, we have every right to call you out, because like Dukes said, we buy your jerseys, yell “DEFENSE” to pump you up, we cheer for and defend you, especially to Cowboy fans. I could go on, but Dukes said it all.

I've been a Redskin fan just as long as Dukes. So when you see and feel how far we've fallen (because of Dan Snyder), how he’s desecrated the Redskin legacy that other men built; how he’s trashed Redskin memories which for me are awesome family memories with 4-12 seasons, and god-awful Monday night, you would rant too. All damn day. Any of you who sat through four Redskin Super Bowls, and the years in between, knows what I mean. And certainly feels the pain.

And don’t get me started on what Snyder’s done to the stadium experience (and yes, I know he inherited from Cooke). Thank you Chad!

Posted by: katedog | November 17, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jerch wrote:

---------------------
Disagree with the fans bailing on tickets b/c of traffic. Fans, especially Redskin fans, will sit through anything to see their team. Prob is that after Detroit, fans sense the season's going the way of the crapper so they dumped their tickets. Had we been down a game or two, it'd be a diff story. One that had 90% Redskin fans in the house come rain, sleet or snow.

Posted by: katedog | November 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Dukes in fact is what is wrong with Redskins fans, pure impatience. If you want this rebuild to be done right, give it some time! If we want to win a Super Bowl we have to give it a few years under Shanahan and Allen. It's like when Obama took office, no one really knew how bad the guy before him did his job. Cerrato, we're finding out, was much worse of a GM than originally anticipated, just look at the offensive line.

Posted by: eternale5150 | November 17, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if we wait ANOTHER 10 years, The Danny will finally get it right.

How much patience should a fan have when the organization continues to screw the pooch? What, we should all be Red Sox like and adopt the ol' 'We'll get em...Next Year' Motto?

Efff that...

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 17, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

From day one, Snyder has thought he could buy a Super Bowl as opposed to working for one. He himself knows nothing about how to structure a team and on top of that he hired a guy in Cerrato who never showed the ability to find players later in the draft. For the majority of the last 10+ years the team has been something less than mediocre.

A little over a third of the current roster are players who've been here for 3 or more years - Moss, Cooley, Daniels, Rabach, Fletcher to name a few. Some are on their third coaching staff. The reality is these players, regardless of who's leading them, have not gotten it done from a wins and losses standpoint.

It's hard to be patient as a fan...doubly hard to be patient as an owner. A change in philosophy needs to take place. A devotion to the draft has to be adopted with the intent to build a team OVER TIME that can compete for playoff spots and championships. We're not talking about a 1-2 year period...more likely a 4-6 year timeframe where the Skins stockpile draft picks and bring in young, motivated players who are ready to work for success.

It's all about patience!

Posted by: wrennjim | November 17, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell is Chad Dukes? Am I supposed to know this guy? I mean, I know him now that I've listened to the LaVar show, but before he teamed with LaVar was he someone I should have known? Just another voice on sports radio to me. Only thing I will say to his credit, he's got a bit more sports knowledge that the guys who call themselves the sports junkies. Those guys know nothing about sports.

Posted by: TerpInTime | November 17, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Lavar is unlistenable (yeah, I just made up a word)! Honestly, I wish they would get any/another person to take his slot. Dukes is ok. But Lavar? OMG, the WORST is when he trys to speak intelligently. Ugh! Just awful.

Posted by: peauxsucent | November 17, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

LA does crush certain words/terms to death:

'Individual' is the biggest; he uses that NONSTOP

'At the end of the day'

'Frankly/Frankly speaking'

'It is what it is'

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 18, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Phillip Daniels should be the last one talking about someone's play needing to be addressed. He's right, but he shouldn't be the one to say it.'

I remember Daniels jumping offsides on a Lions fg attempt inside the 10 yard line which gave them an automatic 1st down and goal and which eventually led to a td giving the Lions 7 points instead of 3. I've yet to hear anyone address that play. That was probably the most critical play of the game since it would have allowed the Skins to basically put the game out of reach.

Phillip Daniels shouldn't be running his mouth period. PLAY, don't TALK. Chad and Lavar were right!

Posted by: jaferebee1 | November 18, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse