Experts wrong on McNabb contract extension

By Dan Steinberg

So I guess Donovan McNabb is staying in Washington? But, but, but....

David Aldridge, Nov. 1: "Donovan McNabb is not gonna re-sign here. That's over. You have now wasted two more draft picks on somebody that's not gonna be here."

Michael Wilbon, Nov. 1: "I don't believe for a second Donovan McNabb's gonna be here next year now. Not a second. Done."

Michael Wilbon, Nov. 1: "Why would you come back for this?" he said on PTI, putting the likelihood of McNabb's return at 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Chris Mortensen: Don't have the quote, but he was awfully, awfully pessimistic about this marriage being saved.

Donovan McNabb, Nov. 2: "I'll be here in D.C. I'll be here. I look to be here for the next couple years and continue to grow with these guys, and be able to bring some consistency and some excitement to the D.C. area."

Dan Steinberg, Nov. 9: "I know I'm on an island on this one, but I think [McNabb's] gonna be here next year. I do."

By Dan Steinberg  | November 15, 2010; 3:54 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley on how to beat the Eagles
Next: In praise of John Erskine's mustache

Comments

Further proof that all it takes to become an NFL expert is a mouth and a platform.

(Although the expert level of expert willingly places themselves on islands and doesn't repeat conventional wisdom ad nauseum):)

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 15, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...Aging QB signed to a 5 year deal after benching for various and sundry stupid excuses.......An offensive line that still is basically 'offensive and ineffective'.....a receiving corps that is a stretch to be at a 'C+' level.....The SS Minnow had a better chance of not becoming shipwrecked.

My guess is that since they made McNabb the face of the franchise when he first got here, they backed themselves into a corner with him and had to give him a long term deal. When I think of the dollars tied up in Haynesworth, Hall, Portis and now McNabb, the useless draft picks in recent years, the dearth of draft choices for next year, unless there is a rabbit in the helmet, I don't see a fast turnaround on offense for several years to come.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | November 15, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

People laughed on the Sports Fix last week when McNabb said his chances of being here next year were 100%. Take it from the source...

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | November 15, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is not surprised.

Posted by: rdpinva | November 15, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Ann Hornaday loved it.

Yeah, Shanny stinks at PR. All those folks thought Shanahan coded like every other coach, well, except Feinstein.

Posted by: WorstSeat | November 15, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Here come the conspiracy theories that the benching was a contract negotiation ploy.

Posted by: WallyG3 | November 15, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

No way this would have been done without Shanahan's okay.

Guess Feinstein's credibility took a hit here. Way to pointlessly race-bait...

Posted by: babu2 | November 15, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I love the fact that the Wilbon's and Finestein's look so bad over this........Great stuff.............

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 15, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------

Mike Wilbon, Jan. 10: "Arenas will never play for the Wizards again. No more Agent Zero heating up hibachi-style at Verizon Center. It's over...Soon enough, the divorce will be official, each party will have another chance to get on with their lives and we'll find out whether either can do better the next time."

Posted by: Barno1 | November 16, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse