Gilbert Arenas discusses his shoe pooping incident

By Dan Steinberg

Pretty sure I can retire now that I've written that headline.

As you recall, Mike Wise and Michael Lee added a new and smelly dimension to the legions of Gilbert Arenas prank stories last January, when they released this one:

Arenas, a notorious practical joker, often crossed the line of acceptable decorum. The example often cited was how Arenas once defecated in teammate Andray Blatche's shoe during Blatche's rookie season. His behavior often went unchecked and unpunished, said a former team employee on condition of anonymity.

Now, I think we all recognize that had Gilbert never brought guns into the locker room, this would possibly be seen as hilarious in many quarters, rather than socially destructive. Regardless, it stained Arenas's legacy, and, to my knowledge, he's never publicly discussed it. Until now!

Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix has an Arenas story in the magazine's latest issue -- "AND A WILD CHILD SHALL LEAD HIM," is the title -- and a press release provides a nice plump excerpt:

"I understand what people think because of the perception of me. They read the funny stuff, like me taking a crap in [teammate] Andray Blatche's shoes. But nobody is going to ask what Andray did to deserve it. You read about it because that's when I'm at my goofiest, when I'm around my teammates. I don't get in trouble outside of this building. You are not going to catch me drinking and driving, or picking up prostitutes. People don't see what my teammates see, the guy who is in here three times a day working out. That's the guy they don't see."

Which leads to the inevitable question: what the heck did Andray do to deserve that?

By Dan Steinberg  | November 9, 2010; 4:21 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonsis: "Gilbert's not going anywhere"
Next: George Mason's Final Four bobbleheads

Comments

Apparently Blatche picked up a prostitute...

Or....maybe...

Blatche was caught drinking and driving...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 9, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Blatche was caught drinking and driving...

ummm...there is difference between going 85 in a 70 and drinking and driving...

Gil is definitely wrong for throwing his teammate under the bus...

Posted by: merajc86 | November 9, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Except that Dray's rookie season was 2005-06.

Posted by: tha_prophet | November 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

whatever that ish is halarious... I wish I could do that to some of these clowns at my job when they do something very stupid!.

Posted by: AllDCSports | November 9, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

How about Andray was drink and driving with a prostitute, that is why!

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 9, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

This overrated, sniveling little punk sickens me! Can't trade him, CUT him-- quick! My very character is diminished just by team association!

Posted by: iubiquity | November 9, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

If I lived in Washington and wanted to describe things that I could be caught doing that was wrong, I might say drinking and driving and picking up prostitutes. I'm not sure he was referring to Blatche, maybe, but maybe not. The real story here is that there is not a story here. Something that happened years ago that is being brought up by Mike Wise to justify his hatred of Arenas. Mike Wise is a punk, go find a sports article to write you piece of scum. The article that was written about Arenas had negative input from Wise. I guess he just wants to show the readers that someone in the world read a story he wrote.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | November 9, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, I stepped in it! I read the story and attributed it to Mike Wise, my bad!!! It was Steinberg. However I still feel the same, a non-story by a Washington sports writer. There must be an epidemic at the Post. Is there nothing better to write about when it comes to the Wizards. DO YOU THINK YOUNG KIDS PICK UP THE SPORTS PAGE TO READ ABOUT SPORTS, AND SEE THIS JUNK? DON'T YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP IT CLEAN, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT IS NOT A NEWS EVENT?

Posted by: 1bmffwb | November 10, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

That ain't a prank; that's disrespect

In the words of Dave Chappelle, 'He shoulda made real Orange Juice out his azzz'

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 10, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

maybe blatche jizzed in his sock. That would warrant a poop in the shoe

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 10, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

"I think we all recognize that had Gilbert never brought guns into the locker room, this would possibly be seen as hilarious in many quarters, rather than socially destructive."

Think again. or, put another way, THINK.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 10, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

There goes Gil again trying to put the blame on somebody else for his actions. Gil needs to man up and learn to take responsibility for his actions.

Posted by: sjp879 | November 10, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

This was Steinberg this time but Mike Wise just keeps talking and writing about dead topics. His radio show is getting worse by the day. His drivel on TV is intolerable. Not much more talent in hs writing skills. The Post should buy him out and get an upgrade. He is a negeative influence on Washington Sports topics.

Posted by: ballgame21 | November 10, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

@1bmffwb:

What were you expecting when you clicked on the link that said, "Arenas Discusses his Shoe Pooping Incident"?

Posted by: tha_prophet | November 10, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Think again. or, put another way, THINK.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 10, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

So, Godfather of Goals--which has to be the lamest internet commenter handle I have ever seen--what you are saying is that Steinberg is wrong? You don't think this would be seen as hilarious in many quarters a year or 2 ago? Well, hate it to break it to you but you're dead wrong. I know a person who pooped in a cup and left it under his buddy's couch and it was one of the funniest pranks any of us had ever heard of.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 10, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

How long ago did this happen people. Are we still talking and venting about things gilbert did last year, two years ago, three years ago? Didnt all you whiners get your rocks off on this already. The lazy sports writers at the WP just keep rehashing old news because unless something happens they have nothing else to write about. Must be a slow DC sports day indeed. And what makes it funny is some of you idiots are venting as if it happened yesterday.

Posted by: ged0386 | November 10, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Stupid just plain stupid what he did and to bring it up again i was highly pissed that Arenas would stoop so low, and i am not a fan of AB by any stretch but Arenas would have needed a dentist had i been Blatche that was the height of being uncouth and total disrespect.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 10, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse