Posted at 4:47 PM ET, 11/17/2010

Haynesworth, friendly fire and the phantom whistle

By Dan Steinberg

This was covered hours ago on Redskins Insider, but it was covered without the screenshot treatment, so I'll step into the void. The video of the now-infamous Hayneworth play is above. The relevant portion of this play lasted about seven seconds. Here's one screenshot for each of the seven seconds.

Here's Haynesworth, with Vonnie Holliday to his left.

"I got taken out by friendly fire," Haynesworth told reporters on Wednesday. "It was Vonnie Holliday. He, like, ran into my leg. I then I had, like,a horse, a charley horse in my thigh or whatever."

"I knocked him back, and then I thought I heard the whistle," Haynesworth continued.

"So I kind of like stayed there for a second and gathered myself," he explained.

Well, some people weren't buying this.

"He's an infection, and that is exactly what I'm talking about," John Riggins said on WTOP. "He's great some of the time, I'll be the first to tell you that....But you can't pay this guy that kind of money and then have him be the infection that he is, and be as lazy and just quit on plays. That's unprofessional. The only place you see that is actually in ankle-biter football. Little kids will do that. I wouldn't even activate him this week. I would leave him here. And I don't think there's a guy in that locker room that would have a problem with that."

"Little things like that, to me, speak volumes," Al Koken said on LaVar and Dukes. "You watch this, with the highest-paid defensive player in football? You've got to be kidding me."

Anyhow, as later became obvious, the play continued.

"Then I look up, and I'm like '[Bleep,] he's still got the ball," Haynesworth told the media, speaking of Michael Vick, who indeed still had the ball.

"And I look, and he throws the ball for a touchdown," Haynesworth concluded, accurately.

By Dan Steinberg  | November 17, 2010; 4:47 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marcus Johansson in Backstrom's gloves
Next: Kornheiser on working for Dan Snyder

Comments

Has anyone bothered to ask why there was not a 15 yard 'block in the back' penalty against #77 on this play? Happens at the :22 mark of the video.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 17, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Well done, steinz. Accountability blogging at its best.

Posted by: ouij | November 17, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

ya know, this dude is the same MFer as he was in Tennessee. Everyone in the league knew this about haynesworth but the redskins. you had OL from Indy or some other team talking about the haynesworth routine. Get tired, fake hurt to get hiw wind back.

Tenn knew how to deal with him and got pro-bowl play. here we sit and btch about everything down to a blade of grass. Yes, Snyder overpaid him. but who hasn't snyder overpaid going back to Marty, to Spurrier to Gibbs to Shanahan. The organization is a joke. the media coverage of this team is a joke.

Why isn't anyone asking the question if Shanahan lost this team over the McNabb debacle? can that explain how 2 weeks to prepare resulted in a DISGRACEFUL performance.

Posted by: oknow1 | November 17, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Come on now Steinberg, let sleeping dogs lie.. so to speak. Let's not drag this through the dirt.. as it were.

It's over.. let's move on to TN. Give him the benefit, we don't know what went down.. if you will.

Did not affect the outcome.. let's see how he plays from now on. Can you dig it?

Posted by: iubiquity | November 17, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, heck, lets put the Mike Wise logic to work and lets give this guy an extension before he jumps ship. And for goodness sake lets do it before Feinstein calls for Shanahan’s head for not starting this guy. I am already hearing coach Thompson and blubber mouth Mitchell hint at a racial issue between the white coach and the napping player.

Posted by: hock1 | November 17, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

hock1
When did it become chic for white people to constantly use the race card against black people? Now every other white person in america is crying racism against a black person. Talk about a born sense of entitlement? Not only do you think your entitled to the top of the food chain in every instant, now you think you can call every other person but yourselves racist to and feel good about it. I guess the more you call blacks racist the less accountability you as a white person feels the need to show for your own racial hangups. Why dont you do like all the other white people who cry racism these days and call it reverse racism. Its bad when "the man" is now the black guy keeping whitey down.

Posted by: ged0386 | November 17, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

ged0386
Do you even know what the hell is it you are talking about?

Posted by: hock1 | November 17, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

1) Wait, when did race enter the discussion? All I see is a fat man lying on the ground. Of course, the fat man in question was paid a lot of money NOT to lie on the ground, which is a sore point.

2) Any thoughts as to Fat Albert going on record that he wishes he were back in TN?

Posted by: ouij | November 17, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice work Steinburg. Accountability is key. For the most part the media in this town is embarassing..... the racism accusation should have been laughed at- instead it was taken seriously.... btw how is John Thompson still on the radio?

Posted by: danredmondfootball | November 17, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

When will we stop with all this black and white racism and get down to the real group of people we should be hating... Fat people.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 17, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

ged0386, is your post supposed to be a joke? Because that's how I read it. It doesn't seem likely you were serious. I doubt you are really that stupid.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 17, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

white folks are always worried about how much black athletes are making.This area hates having a black quarterback. Please get rid of him and bring in Cutler or Matt Leinert. And we definitely don't need Haynesworth. Haslett's fake 3-4 defense is great without him.

Posted by: MikeMIke3 | November 17, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting that they play so poorly immediately following the debacle of McNabb's benching. Whether it was racism or lying or nepotism it is interesting that the team lies down and dies shortly after the head coach embarrassed himself telling tall tales over why he bench McNabb.

Make no mistake, a true leader would be saying "I am in charge, the loss is my fault", I don't recall Shannahan saying anything remotely like that. Maybe he did, but I certainly did not hear it.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | November 17, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Just a guess, but you'd think his favorite book is "The story of Ferdinand".

Posted by: rdpinva | November 17, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

@ged0386

dude, just so you know about 90% of the blacks I've encountered in my life are preocupied 99% of the time with race. And most blacks don't like a person if they are white, reguardless of who the hell they really are as a person. I'm tired of these idiotic "reporters" from the d.c. area playing the race card every time a black player is under scrutiny for his play. Why don't you just admit that you are pissed that the skins have a white coach? Personally I don't give a **ck if the coach is green or purple or orange or black or white colored as long as he can get these terminally-full-of-suck players to show up every Sunday...

Posted by: jacksonalex | November 17, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iubiquity

bwhahahahaha that's the funniest sht I've read all week about the skins....I can see that as a scene in Family Guy.....
I also agree, let's move on....you throw away that 1st Q which was freakish, and concentrate on the battle of the last 3 which was a LITTLE bit closer....and just try to forget.

This team will be bad for years to come, esp because of the arrogance of some its players....seriously fred davis, celebrating in the end zone when you got run down outside at the 3? Seriously, LL, showing flex when you knocked someone down even when they got a first down? BTW, stop hitting... and just tackle....going for the big hit causes injuries and missed tackles. Stop mouthing off. You ever see the Colts celebrate until the end of the game?

Posted by: joshisandeep2 | November 17, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

It ain't about black, it ain't about white, and it ain't about fat--it's all about childish behavior, flat out giving up, and a lack of respect for your teammates.

Posted by: reporter1 | November 17, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Special teams him. He is useless as is...

Posted by: KDSmallJr | November 17, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

in the words of Youtube star Barrackem Rack'em Willie Obama "i don't give a F*&% about the redskins, fat albert, the crap team and this crap racict newspaper. fire that potato head wilbon first.

Posted by: doyouktt | November 17, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I have never seen Special Teams used as a verb.

Fat Albert on ST would look like this.

Start of the game, the Skins line up to kick the ball off. Kick off, everyone runs down, gets the returner at the 25 yard line. The other team lines up to run their first play. Runs the ball up the middle. 2nd and 8. And now Albert's down to the 25 yard line finishing up the opening kick off.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 17, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Exactly:

Posted by: reporter1 | November 17, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jackson641 | November 17, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

But alas, poor Yorick, Prince Albert of Haynesworth rode off into that dark, dewy night in his well-appointed Rolls-Royce coach, with nary a concern on his mind.

Posted by: BB703 | November 17, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

POS

Posted by: Danmynder22026 | November 17, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Two words: "Blanket Party"

Posted by: Wizardsfaninexile | November 18, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Interesting how fans of a team with a racist name will bring up the race card.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | November 18, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Awesome how fans of a team with a racially insensitive name end up raising the race card.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | November 18, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Interesting,
White Poster- Hock 1 makes a racial comment.

He is then responded to by geo0386, a black poster.

Fellow white posters Ouij, Jacksonalex, and Barno1 then reflexively and defensively jump down geo0386's throat for bringing "race" into the discussion, when in fact, Hock 1, the white poster initiated the racial back and forth.

This happens so much on all Internet sports sites it's not even funny. Somehow, white posters say whatever they want about race and if/when a black poster challenges them, they "surround" that person on the board accusing him of instigating something racial/playing some "race card" that a white poster actually dealt. It's so routine, it seems rehearsed at times.

Interesting.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 18, 2010 2:11 AM | Report abuse

The gif of the BFL (Big Fat Load) dogging it will soon be the most watched NFL video of all time.
The BFL then explains his delusional version of events, and the WAPO media eats it up.
Then today we have Sally Jenkins, arguably the country's WORST sports reporter, explain in vague and useless terms how McNabb's job is to play 5-8 positions, as well as quarterback, to "save the franchise". Since of course, he can't, well, then...he sucks.

Seriously, between a dysfunctional front office, ego-driven coaches, overrated players, and a largely delusional fan base, is there a more perfect storm ANYWHERE in the NFL?
My advice to Orakpo,Fletcher, McNabb and Cooley...get out of town any way you can and salvage your career.

Posted by: opinionatedinfairfax | November 18, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Let's be clear about this. If Big Albert were injured on the play, he would not get up. Instead, every kid who has ever played football knows that you get up and you keep driving. He heard a whistle? The guard was standing over him confused about why he was lying on the ground. Had Albert gotten up and engaged that guard Carter would have had a clear shot at Vick and the speed to catch him. You don't lie on the ground and clear you head during a play, you just up and keep going. That's football. Haynesworth needs to go somewhere else. He doesn't fit here.

Posted by: genericrepub | November 18, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@ged0386

Posted by: jacksonalex | November 17, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

The skins have always had a white coach, why would somebody wait til now to be pissed? But i really like your progressive attitude, calling us "Blacks" on the message board. I can only imagine how you talk about us in private.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 18, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Fellow Black posters:

Add "Never bring up anything racial in mixed company" to the ever growing list of "Things that White people do that Black people cannot do". The list is growing more and more each day. Here's another one: "never give a ridiculous reason(s) for clearly unexplainable actions". Shanny's reason for benching DM, AH's reason for lying on the ground. Shanny can get away with his multiple reasons for his actions, AH can not get the benefit of a doubt because he makes too much money. Fellow Black posters, we have to stay in our place. (This was meant to be funny, but I'm sure no one is laughing...)

Posted by: SPUD2 | November 18, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I'd believe Haynesworth except he has a track record which doesn't exactly inspire confidence... so I can't trust his explanation. He needs to go and the sooner the better. In fact, half this miserable, embarrassing team needs to go out the door - it's a JOKE. I can't stomach to watch another game and be humiliated.

Posted by: egrib | November 18, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: egrib | November 18, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

geod386: "This just goes to show that there are too many sports reporters and not enough sports for them to report."

AMEN!!!!!

Posted by: bethesdaguy | November 18, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey ArmChair--

Don't guess people's races. It makes you sound like a tool and a fool. Plus you're wrong. Hock1 didn't exactly make a "racial comment." He made a passive aggressive complaint that black commentators bring up race a lot unnecessarily -- something I don't believe is true but is something which a ton of posters say. Then, ged0386 misinterprets and thinks Hock1 is crying racism and has a big overreaction which opens the can of worms. Then, everyone else jumps on ged0386. Then, jacksonalex makes a completely ignorant and racist comment about 90% of blacks this and that. I have no idea what race any of these people are because my internet service doesn't list posters' races. And neither do you, dummy. They could all be Asian. Obviously by calling yourself "ArmchairGM" you think you're a big brain. You're not.

Posted by: Urnesto | November 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Urnesto.

The comments on this thread are so ignorant they are almost unbearable to read.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1

absolutely agree 100%. Perfectly said.

Wise is a joke.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

barno:

1. Blocking in the back is 10 yards, not 15 yards
2. It is legal behind the line of scrimmage. Otherwise, defenders could just use spin moves and go right around the o-line.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | November 18, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

flyerssuck:

1) clipping is a 15 yard penalty, and used to include any block in the back, but I'll concede that they've now changed it to blocks below the waste. So now a block in the back is just 10 yards.

2) I couldn't find anything in the NFL rule book that states you can block someone in the back if it is behind the line of scrimmage. Not saying you are incorrect here, but I just looked and couldn't find anything that suggest you are correct.

3) He also grabbed Haynesworth's jersey, just for an instant, before letting it go. That also should have technically been a 10 yard holding penalty.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

DID YOU ORDER THOSE MEN TO GIVE A CODE RED?
YOU GOD DANG RIGHT I DID !!!!
I DID MY JOB !!!!
Haynesworth is worthless. We've been debating it since the preseason. He had one decent series this year. I dont care how much a black man gets paid. Just do the job. Give the money to the black man beside him who has to work harder because of him!!!!

Posted by: 1bmffwb | November 18, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Self centered, out of shape fat and useless. Do you notice - the blocker who knocked him to the ground stands over FAt Albert for a few seconds, then realizes he is no threat, pulls out in direction of his roving QB -- and the DE OUTSIDE of Fat Albert gives chase -- and is blocked by Fat Albert's man. This is why I haven't spent a dollar on Redskins in two years (after thousands a year) and won't. Go CAPS! GO NATS! (and pray for the Wiz)

Posted by: humbleandfree | November 18, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Riggins is right. Snyder paid 41 million for an infection. And black has nothing to do with it. Will you guys ever stop with the @#$$%$%@ race card? Fat Al is a lazy pig who plays when he wants to. And he's black....get over it. I suppose it's white people's fault he lays down on plays.....man, you guys are amazing....
Snyder is white and we pound him all the time. It's HIS FAULT for signing this pos...

Posted by: Riggo2 | November 18, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

AH92 is what he has always been, here in DC or when in TN, a selfish egocentric child. All you have to do is look at the management team that pursued him and lavished him with riches to figure out the attraction.

Posted by: skinssox01 | November 18, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@ArmchairGM: I've been called a bunch of things in my life, but "white" hasn't been one of them.

Here's what I saw: Albert Haynesworth, multimillionaire football player and notorious defender, in a position to play defense. I also saw a conspicuous lack of effort.

Here's what I read: a throwaway comment by hock1 that I didn't understand, which prompted an overheated response that I understood less.

I was talking about a football game. I honestly don't know how race got into the discussion.

Posted by: ouij | November 19, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Interesting,
White Poster- Hock 1 makes a racial comment.

He is then responded to by geo0386, a black poster.

Interesting.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 18, 2010 2:11 AM | Report abuse

That's interesting you think you can distinguish a person's color from a post on a blog. Talk about racist.

Posted by: Painful_priapism | November 19, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Shut about race for a second.

Haynesworth is lazy.

Anybody disagree?

Posted by: 202character | November 19, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a rats a>> about race, a bum is a bum! We have a majority team of losers and whats crazier is Shanahan cut a bunch of them before the season and we are still left with bums! Let's get a real scout team and some people who can recognize talent, pay them the big salaries because whoever is choosing ours is laughing all the way to the bank....Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City and all the other bottom tier teams are light years ahead of us and they only needed a season or two to make major improvements....SICKENING! all that was said without a hint of race, we have a bunch of players who think they are better than what they are with no discipline until Shanny took over and he's a good coach who can't admit when he's wrong which is not good when your the leader....

Posted by: thumz816 | November 19, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thumz816 | November 19, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, race? Really?

How about Haynesworth is a lazy, overpaid, piece of trash that I pray goes bankrupt one day and is forced to be homeless and realize talent will not always carry you through.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 19, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Beyond just how long he was down. After it became clear he wouldn't get up, the guy who was blocking him shifted away, and then made the CRITICAL block on Carter giving Vick the extra half second he needed to get the ball off for the touchdown. This directly caused the touchdown... otherwise Carter would have had a free run at Vick, who would not have been able to make the play he did.

Posted by: Cobalt1 | November 20, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

He Can't be trusted. I hoping the staff is working on trading him. Is a breach of contract impossible? This person should be on the bench period he can't be trusted to make a tackle at a critical time trade him for either a solid pick Al Davis may be the last resort. I just can't beleive Shanahan lets this guy on the field

Posted by: southportwave | November 21, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse