Haynesworth lying on the ground

By Dan Steinberg

Plenty of Redskins used the word "embarrassed" Monday night and Tuesday morning. Mike Shanahan. Keiland Williams. Anthony Armstrong. DeAngelo Hall.

The ESPN Monday Night Football crew, though, seemed most embarrassed for Albert Haynesworth, just excoriating the defensive lineman for this play, on which he fell down and did not attempt to get back up.

One of the analysts said something about how you don't want to put stuff like that on film. Here's the film, via @jon_bois.

By Dan Steinberg  | November 16, 2010; 11:26 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who had the best and worst weeks in D.C. sports?
Next: Snyder: "The franchise is in good hands"

Comments

Thanks for posting the video. At least Orakpo and Carter were putting in some effort. I like how they ripped him for this play, when just a quarter earlier Gruden had been criticising Haslett/Shanahan for not playing Haynesworth enough.

Posted by: Andymr | November 16, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

No, he's spying on Vick in this play. It's a deep cover, sleeper-cell spying.

Posted by: wbbradb | November 16, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I've fallen...........and I'm too lazy to get up!

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 16, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

The Eagles defender looked extremely confused by Haynesworth.. he stood there for a second or two like "what do i do?" he didnt know whether to call the medic, feed him a sack of sliders or just stand there and laugh! I wonder what he would have done if not distracted by Andre Carter.. hopefully he would have just stood there, pointed and laughed! or he could have cleated his head.. either way im ok with it..

Posted by: jredden | November 16, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I've been very confused by the whole Haynesworth saga, but that play above is nothing less than a benchable offense. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Haynesworth isn't activated next week.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | November 16, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@$$ on the ground! @$$ on the ground! Looking like a fool with your @$$ on the ground!

Posted by: stwasm | November 16, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert, get your fat @ss up. You pathetic underachiever.. Mr. Dan, Mr. Bruce and Coach Mike cut this cancer from our team please.. Fat Ablert look at the rest of the team you over grown lazy out of shape whiner … Cut him please…

Posted by: rogerdodger24 | November 16, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rogerdodger24 | November 16, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

If he even tried to get up 99 could have goten to Vick before he threw the ball...very embarrasing for the skins...sooo happy I am a Giants fan!

Posted by: markfd | November 16, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Piling on Haynesworth here is a bit unfair. I focused on him for those too few plays that he was in last night, and he was a force. Always seemed to command two blockers and many times pushed the blockers into the backfield to where it forced Vick to have to move around. On the play where McIntosh almost got to Vick (and forced Vick's first incomplete pass - in the SECOND quarter), that was set up by Haynesworth's penetration into the backfield. Don't know if the play you are showing is the one where he seemed to be nicked up, but I think he played hard all night. Besides, he probably stayed down because he figured Vick was either already 20 yards downfield or had thrown a touchdown pass. I think that Haynesworth was the best Redskins defensive player on the field last night (may not be saying much). Regardless, our quarterback took a lot more plays off than Hayneworth did!

Posted by: willypops | November 16, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth was just subtly taunting DeSean Jackson.

Posted by: false_cause | November 16, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Much like a disoriented pilot whale. Albert gave up the fight and beached himself.

Posted by: wynnebs | November 16, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

This here ground is so soft. And that guy Vick's pretty fast. No way I'm gonna catch him no how. This ground is so soft.

Posted by: kbarker302 | November 16, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Not that bad. Maybe 99 get to alter the throw if 92 doesn't submit at the feet of the OL. He chased plenty of plays.

Posted by: sdtxyz | November 16, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely inexplicable. When I saw it, I thought Fat Albert had been hurt, but no--there he is getting right back up again.

Posted by: ouij | November 16, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Was at the game so didn't hear the commentators but I did see this for myself. Did the commentators point out that Haynesworth immediately went to the bench for treatment on what looked like his shoulder after this play?

Is it really that hard for otherwise intelligent people to even consider the possibility that Haynesworth was in serious pain at the time for an injury?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

It's as hard as it is for you to not make excuses for a 100 million dollar professional athlete who, pain or not, clearly quit on the above play

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 16, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh Barno, Barno, Barno...

Posted by: jochpo | November 16, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

An animated gif? The Bog is using some screaming edge 1990s tech!

Posted by: WorstSeat | November 16, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Sticking up for Fat Albert? Why? He quit on his team and teamates and is a lazy POS. Very simply really.

Posted by: splitbill | November 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

He thought he found his lost earring!

Posted by: Misty630 | November 16, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm here at my job I supppose to be working but I'm here laughing my a*** off at these comments. They are priceless.Dan Snyder gave this guy a 100 million I still cannot believe it.

Posted by: dommonie | November 16, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

thanks Dan; that's one telling clip. How could any team want to trade for that pile of.. ?

Posted by: Hattrik | November 16, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dommonie | November 16, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

this franchise will always be a loser as long as Danny boy Snyder is the owner. He and his buddy Vinny completely wrecked this franchise with their failed draft picks, free agent megabuck failures (Fat Albert, Deon, etc). The defense is the worst in the league, the wide receivers couldn't start in the Arena league, and the offensive line is years from being rebuilt. Shanny is just beginning to see what a crappy hand he was dealt with the personnel on this team. Jason Campbell must be laughing his *ss off in Oakland watching this freak show in DC>

Posted by: mikepem01 | November 16, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I loved the pilot whale comment. I think I lost my spleen.

Posted by: Turbo84 | November 16, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Barno ...watch the film...the way he pushed himself up....injured shoulder? If Haynesworth even fakes an effort the O lineman would have had to keep engaging him which would have allowed 99 a free shot At Vick....result no touchdown and a solid hit on Vick.....the only thing you guys have been able to do against him in 2 games!

Posted by: PhiEagleII | November 16, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Charge him Admission!!!

Posted by: wootens | November 17, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

With the amount he was paid he should be sued for failure to honor his contract. He couldn't find a gun in a gun shop

Posted by: southportwave | November 17, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Benching is exactly what Haynesworth would like. He obviously isn't interested in playing football.

Posted by: Aerowaz | November 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@WorstSeat -- I'm actually glad they used an animated gif for this (although your comment has me laughing). This was actually a lot easier to watch repeatedly (for both analysis and disbelief) than a Flash video, since the clip was fairly short. Animated gifs rock!

Posted by: Andrew53 | November 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

ahh, ham sandwich, you did it again. You're like the gift that keeps giving.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | November 17, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

why just bench haynesworth, why not bench the whole team.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | November 17, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@Andrew53 -- Yeah, I have a Flash blocker where I have to click to load them, and initially wondered how they snuck one by me...

But in this case, hilarious *and* appropriate. ;^)

Posted by: WorstSeat | November 17, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse