HBO's Caps-Penguins preview: Six highlights
The HBO 24/7 Caps-Penguins preview ran on Saturday night, and I figured I could wait until Monday morning to post my reactions. Instead, every hockey blog in existence went ahead and posted the entire 12-minute clip. You can watch it on Caps Insider, but I'll push on with providing six highlights.
1) The first quote of the first real footage of the series? Brooks Laich. Make fun of me all you want, but I say he's one of the top five quotes in the D.C. market, in any sport, and he'll wind up being the best quote in this HBO series. Here's the opening line:
"For somebody who doesn't know hockey, it's hard to describe to them. It's heaven for us, to be able to play this game every single game. It's freedom on the ice. You step on the ice, and nothing else matters."
Near the end, they come back to Laich again. "I think it's the greatest sport in the world," he says of hockey. "I think the players that play it are the best athletes in the world."
2) I haven't heard much of the t-shirt pictured above since training camp, when it were mentioned in just about every story. But apparently, Alex Ovechkin is still wearing his. Stay angry.
3) Not sure if HBO demanded these quotes, but these teams just plain don't like each other, according to these teams.
"It's no secret, they don't like us and we don't like them," Laich said.
"I just can't stand them," Max Talbot said. "The more guys you can piss off on that team, the better."
4) The footage is awesome. The camerawork is brilliant. The access is unprecedented. More of all that, and less of script like this:
Separated by less than 200 miles, Pittsburgh and Washington are neighbors who share a passion for the game. But make no mistake, there's nothing political about the way these two teams feel about each other.
5) Mike Knuble is quoted saying he has "probably 150 or 200 stitches in my face, probably." This clip aired on Saturday night. The night before, he took a puck to the face and left the game against the Thrashers. We're gonna need to update this quote.
6) The narrator calls Sidney Crosby a "superstar." Then he calls Alex Ovechkin "arguably the best player in the solar system." Bias!!!!!