In praise of John Erskine's mustache
Over the past week or so, John Erskine's mustache has grown from cult favorite to mainstream star. Thus, six mustache images, and six mustache observations.
1) The image above is from Erskine in the Caps' dressing room after Sunday's game, in which he was the obvious star. After that game, as Japers Rink pointed out, Erskine now has more goals per 60 minutes of 5-on-5 than Mike Green or John Carlson.
2) Erskine now has 2 goals and 2 assists for 4 points in his 7 November games. (Erskine's mustache, of course, is being grown to raise money for prostate cancer awareness as part of Movember. Donate here, if you want to support the mustaches. The Caps are currently the sixth-ranked mustache-growing team in the country.)
Anyhow, it's the most points he's scored in a single month since October of 2007, when he had 1 goal and 3 assists. But this month ain't over. Also, in Erskine's 31 most recent November games before this season, he had 1 point, an assist in 2008.
3) The mustache heroics, of course, have not been limited to Erskine. As Katie Carrera noted, the mustachioed Caps -- Erskine, Jeff Schultz, John Carlson, Karl Alzner, Matt Hendricks and Jason Chimera -- have recorded 11 goals and 25 points in seven November games, during which time the team is 6-0-1. And as Mike Vogel noted, four of the team's six game-winning November goals came from staches.
4) At least two online observers suggested that Erskine was smiling during his bout with Eric Boulton Sunday evening. Hard to say, exactly. I think the mustache might actually cause Erskine to look like he's smiling when he's not, but that's the great thing about mustaches. This is the best image I could find of the pseudo-smile.
5) The quote has been pretty well distributed, but you can't do the mustache item without the quote.
"The 'stache has been good luck this month," Erskine said after Sunday's game. "Talked to the wife. Might be keeping it for a while."
6) Keeping it for awhile, huh? If you're wondering what that would look like, here's Erskine, at Halloween, via his Twitter account. That's a look we can all stand behind, in Movember or any other month.
Posted by: bbmcoachk | November 15, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | November 15, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: poguesmahone | November 15, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: gzilla33 | November 16, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse