John Wall dances through introductions

By Dan Steinberg

If the Wizards had lost their home opener Tuesday night, no one would have wanted to highlight John Wall's pre-game dance, the well-traveled Dougie, which is rarely performed as enthusiastically as in Wall's version.

But they won. And J-Wow, though spotty at times, was largely spectacular, coming up one steal shy of a triple-double. And then he went on SportsCenter, and did various post-game interviews focused on his turnovers, and declined to do or say anything ridiculous, and never even said anything rude about his coach.

So with all of that, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to look back on his pre-game Dougie and say, golly, that's a pleasant way to say hey to the home crowd.

"It was fun, man, it reminded me of Kentucky," Wall said of his dance. "First time, we were going out and playing, having a good time. Sam [Cassell] and [Manager of Team Services Jackie Miles] told me I needed to dance to get the crowd into it, so I did it for them."

Remember, Wall's Raleigh buddy, Brandon Banks, did the John Wall after his return touchdown on Sunday. Guess he has to do this Dougie next.

Of course, every Dougie has its victim, and in this case, the sad party was Yi Jianlian, who attempted to greet feet-moving brilliance with a mere layup line low-five. Wall Dougied right by that mess, leaving Yi to awkwardly lower his untouched hand.

(Video via CBS Sports)

By Dan Steinberg  | November 3, 2010; 1:14 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland fan watches 401st straight game
Next: McNabb: "I want to be here"

Comments

Please, please let Mike Jenkins do the Dougie.

Posted by: hithere1 | November 3, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Anthony Armstrong dougie

Posted by: trevorhoughton | November 3, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Dan:
Go sit in the corner, young man -- you have a 5 minute timeout for calling Wall, "J-Wow."

Posted by: disgruntledfan | November 3, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

The Wiz didn't just get a Player, they got a "Show". Win or lose, it's a show well worth watching.

Posted by: DCV1 | November 3, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Dancing like a good ol boy; just the way we like them to.

hibbity hibbity

Posted by: philarmy | November 3, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

This is just what the Wizards need! A showboat point guard that does a special (stupid) dance during intros. Great! Watch how this plays out after they lose 90% of their games.

Posted by: dbunkr | November 3, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree, not a fan of showboating before a win.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I was looking forward to being a John Wall fan until I saw that.

Posted by: theruffs | November 3, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Dan: please let that be the first and last time you will ever call him "J-Wow." Dear lord let that one never catch on.

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | November 3, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! If I could dance like that, I would, too.

Posted by: eric22 | November 3, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Dancing like a good ol boy; just the way we like them to.

hibbity hibbity

Posted by: philarmy | November 3, 2010 11:27 AM
___________________________________________

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but I bet if he broke out and did the COUNTRY 2-STEP, y'all wouldn't mind!

GROW-UP and let him be him. He's 20yrs old. He's a "KID"! Just bcuz y'all have no soul or rythem, don't fault him for his. If you don't like it....STOP WATCHING! Wait until 7:37 before you turn the game on then.

"SHOW BOATING" is what you do "DURING" a bbal game and / or "AFTER" you make a basket! He was "dancing" b4 the game even started!

I HATE RED-NECKS! He doesn't NEED any of you to be his fans! Y'all can keep that for "your" Rascal Flatts people!

Posted by: DAGEEZ | November 3, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Dancing like a good ol boy; just the way we like them to.

hibbity hibbity

Posted by: philarmy | November 3, 2010 11:27 AM
___________________________________________

Posted by: DAGEEZ | November 3, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Easy DAGEEZ, I'm pretty sure that comment was meant as a compliment.

Otherwise, I agree with DAGEEZ. Was Kevin Garnett showboating when he threw the chalk in the air back in MN (before LeBron stole that move)? Is Ray Lewis showboating during the introductions to every Ravens home game? Or are they getting the fans revved up and entertaining people like they are paid to? Basketball is a GAME. People watch it for FUN. I can understand not being a fan of the dance itself, but that's a matter of taste. Maybe he'll do a different dance for every intro and end up doing one you like down the road. In the meantime, I think it's crazy that anyone would dog somebody for doing this, or decide not to be a fan. If he keeps flirting with triple doubles all season, I'll look forward to witnessing your hypocrisy.

Oh, and Dan, the name J-Wow needs to be taken out back, shot and buried in a deep, dark hole.

Posted by: nkeitt | November 3, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Dancing like a good ol boy; just the way we like them to.

hibbity hibbity

Posted by: philarmy | November 3, 2010 11:27 AM
___________________________________________

Posted by: DAGEEZ | November 3, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Easy DAGEEZ, I'm pretty sure that comment was meant as a compliment.

BY:nkeitt

___________________________________________

Hey nkeitt : I don't know where you're from my friend, but where I'm from...the term "GOOD OL [BOY}" doesn't mean a compliment......and if that's not enough.....th rest of that sentance... "JUST THE WAY "WE" LIKE "THEM" TO!!! Who is "we" and who is "them"? Like I said....REDNECKS have no place on earth and they hide behind "blogs"! I "GUARANTEE" he wouldn't say that SH*T to anyone's face like that.

Now, other than that....I couldn't agree with the rest of your post more! GREAT POINTS!

If he averages even a double - double, I wouldn't care if "he grabbed his partner and docey-doed" the whole dayum night! YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWWW!

Posted by: DAGEEZ | November 3, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

heheehe- hope his dance'n shoes don't get the gil-treatment!

Posted by: Hattrik | November 3, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

John Wall is a helluva player.
I had my 12 year old daughter "teach me how to Dougie", since "er'ybody luv it".

I like John Wall, but it looks a lil fruity the way he does the Dougie.

But welcome to DC bro!

Posted by: MrInternational | November 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Is Dougie "Dougie Fresh"? Go John!

Posted by: washwiz | November 3, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

This guy is a professional basketball player? I guess no one in the league has taught him yet that acting like a teenage idiot is easy-- but walking onto the court like a man and backing it up with solid play making is a lot harder!

Posted by: zangadoo | November 3, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

". . . but walking onto the court like a man and backing it up with solid play making is a lot harder!"

Posted by: zangadoo | November 3, 2010 6:29 PM

Actually, he made that look pretty easy, too.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse