Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
On Twitter: dcsportsbog and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS
Posted at 11:11 PM ET, 11/23/2010

LaRon Landry on turkeys, D.C. and his injury

By Dan Steinberg


There are a lot of community-service type events involving pro athletes this time of year, and it's impossible to get to all of them. On Tuesday alone, there were at least three Turkey-themed Redskins events, in three different locations.

But a few things convinced me to head to LaRon Landry's turkey giveaway: It was in the District, it was held in conjunction with the very Wisconsin Avenue Whole Foods store where I got my start as an assistant cheese buyer, and it gave me a chance to ask an NFL player about watching football with his pet monkey.

"Yeah, he watched," Landry said, when I wondered whether his monkey Gucci joined him in watching the Redskins beat the Titans on Sunday. "He scratched his head the whole time."

Landry - who was, of course, sidelined with an Achilles' tendon injury on Sunday - wore a walking boot on his left foot during the event, but he still hobbled all over the King-Greenleaf Recreation Center in Southwest D.C. to pose for photos. The safety finished his last game, against the Eagles, and said "if I start a game, I'm gonna finish it." Still, Coach Mike Shanahan said there was a 98 percent chance he'd miss Sunday's meeting with the Vikings, and Landry agreed with that estimate.

"You can see it right here man. You can answer your question," he said, gesturing to the boot, when I asked about this weekend. "I'll go for a 98 percent chance of not playing and 2 percent chance of being there, just for you to think about it....It's an injury that's been lingering around for a minute. It should be rested. The procedures I'm doing and undergoing just to play, it's not working any more, so the trainers and the coaches came up with the decision to rest me."

I asked whether there was a chance the injury could end his season.

"Don't even say that," he said. "I'm hoping I'll be back [Wednesday]. We're just taking it a day at a time, a treatment at a time and hope for the best.It's very hard just to watch guys play. I'm part of that family, and not being a part of that family, having to sit back and watch it on TV is kind of hard."

Tuesday's event was run through Landry's foundation, which was founded within the past year. Landry bought 100 turkeys, and various friends contributed another 150, totaling more than 2,500 pounds of bird. Whole Foods donated pies, cider, mashed potatoes, gravy and green bean casseroles. Landry - teaming with the Sasha Bruce Youthwork organization, which works with D.C. teenagers - also recently bought 70 jerseys for youth basketball teams that play at that rec center; the teams had been using hand-me-down pinnies from a midnight basketball league.

Like almost all of his teammates, Landry lives in the Virginia suburbs, but he goes to a barbershop in Anacostia, and said it wasn't an accident that his foundation has started working in D.C.

"I wanted to make a statement in the community down here in D.C.," he told me, saying the city reminded him of his native New Orleans. "Most guys take over the Virginia role, and I wanted to be one of those guys to give back where it's hardly ever given back to...Anything I can do to contribute. If I've got it to give, why not give? I hope I just make them happy."

At least two Cowboys fans were among those who accepted Landry's gifts; one shouted out "How 'bout them Cowboys!" as he walked out. "Don't start that," Landry countered. But others had Redskins pillows and Redskins umbrellas and Redskins jackets and Redskins hats, and there were lots of hugs and autographs.

"I don't always see the Redskins in my ward, so having LaRon come here means a lot," D.C. council member Tommy Wells said. "This is the kind of thing that tells you they're really the Washington Redskins."

As for Landry, he said he only mildly celebrated after Sunday's win, because "we've got a lot more games ahead of us, and playoffs." He said sitting on his couch "was real tough," because "being a critic, knowing my ability, knowing what I can do just to help the team win, I wish I could be out there fighting with them." He asked the DJ -- who played things like Teddy Pendergrass and the O'Jays -- to make him an MP3. And he said that he will be frying a turkey on Thursday, with the help of something called Tony Chachere's seasoning injection.

"I can throw down," he said of his kitchen skills. "Fry the turkey, macaroni, candied yams, everything. Meet me at my place."


By Dan Steinberg  | November 23, 2010; 11:11 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ryan Zimmerman's wedding dance video
Next: Gilbert Arenas and Nick Young, happy

Comments

Thanks for this write-up. Always nice from, time to time, to read about somebody being a decent human being.

Plus, he has a frickin' PET MONKEY!

Posted by: Goat_74 | November 24, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Good write up...enjoy seeing this side of pro athletes!

Posted by: coooooooooley | November 24, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Leave it to a cowboys fan to take a free meal and then act like a tool on his way out the door.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 24, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

good job Dan.
Good article..
and nice to shed light on the good characters of our beloved skins.

Posted by: regxjin | November 24, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the article Dan. Hope to see LL30 back sooner rather than later. Ditto on the comments regarding the dallas fan, hope he under-cooks his turkey and gets a non-fatal case of salmonela poisoning.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 24, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Something called Tony Chachere's??? Seriously? You ever been south?

Posted by: CrimsonTribe | November 24, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

How about that clown Cowboy fan. Take a gift and then become an a-hole. Nice

Posted by: nicefellow311 | November 24, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company