Posted at 8:21 AM ET, 11/19/2010

Lorenzo Alexander's special teams hit

By Dan Steinberg

When the Monday Nightmare ended and I was compiling my best and worst list from the game, this was the play I settled on as the Redskins' best. It was still the first half. The Skins had just scored 14 unanswered points. Being down by 21 was bad but not necessarily fatal. The fans were trying to muster hope, and were actually making some noise. And then Lorenzo Alexander sprinted down the field and, for the second time this season, steamrolled Eagles returner Jorrick Calvin. Dastardly stuff.

"It juices you up, fires you back up, energizes you," Alexander said this week on LaVar and Dukes. "After that bit hit, we had a couple series there on defense where we were stopping them. I thought we was making a comeback a little bit, but then we fizzled out again."

LaVar Arrington then asked whether Alexander had been concerned about earning an NFL fine for his special-team troubles.

"I kept looking at the replay," Alexander said. "I was like, ok, ok, I'm in his chest, I'm not in his head, I didn't hit his helmet. His helmet kind of flew up just because of the velocity, but it was a clean hit and I was happy with it, because I can't go home telling mama that I got fined 50 stacks."

This play was sort of the opposite of the other one featuring a defensive lineman not making a tackle. You know, this one. Speaking of which...

"I don't know what to say," Alexander said, when asked about Albert Haynesworth's moment of infamy. "It's hard for me to see that, because I'm a high-effort guy. I don't have the greatest talent, but I'm gonna give high effort and make myself better than what I am. So it's hard for me to see that. But you know how it is. I mean, it's hard to see and hard to justify, but the coaches do what they do because their hands are tied with so many different things outside of just that he gave up on a play."

By Dan Steinberg  | November 19, 2010; 8:21 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Braden Holtby on his Holtbyisms
Next: Haynesworth, to Dylan

Comments

Love this guy. 100% effort all the time. And then his quote here about AH seems very honest. "This guy is making 40 mill+ this year and he's lying on the ground? I go 100% every down and what do I get?" If you don't think having AH on your team making that kind of money is a locker room distraction, you are wrong.

Posted by: kjhealey | November 19, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Football. A man's game. Men like Alexander.

Posted by: TheDubb | November 19, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo is my favorite player and I bet he coaches down the road. As a longtime fan since George Allen, I'm now reduced to enjoying good plays during games they lose...that's about as much as I can hope for since I guess around 1995. I don't remember the last time the Skins went into a season with a legitimate chance to win a Super Bowl.

Posted by: nativedc | November 19, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Fletcher should line up behind Haynesworth and poke him with a cattle prod when the ball is snapped?

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | November 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander is my favorite Redskin. He is on a short list of Redskins I would keep on the roster for next year. I'm still hoping for a lockout. I could use a year of living apart from the Redskins to reevaluate our relationship. I love you, but I'm not in love with you. Maybe there is someone out there who is better for me and makes me a better person?

Posted by: pearlbullets | November 19, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo had a horrible game at LB, he played well on special teams though...

Posted by: rc2223 | November 19, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Alexander said all you needed to read in the last paragraph:

" the coaches do what they do because their hands are tied"..........

In other words, Haslett and Jacob Birney have to put up with Haynesworth and his attitude because Snyder won't come clean and release him/trade him and admit the mistake.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | November 19, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

If we could get 11 Lorenzo Alexanders on defense and heck 11 of them on offense even, I would be able to sleep better at night.

Posted by: zimmasterslim | November 19, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

It's going to take a couple years to cleanse this team of Snyder/Cerrato's MASSIVE mistakes. In the next two offseasons, we can say bye bye to at least the following players: Griffin, Portis, Cooley, Moss, Rogers, Rabach, Dock, Sellers, Kelly, Haynesworth, Carter, Horton.

I'm sure there are a dozen others and yeah, some of those guys above are very good, but the point is we need to clean house like the Capitals did...like the Titans and Bucs did after SB appearances. We've tried to build a SB team each year since 1999. It hasn't worked and has progressively added to our inability to play 16 competitive games due to lack of talent, depth, and accountability.

Posted by: Section104 | November 19, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Section 194 says:

___________________
That explains all that success that the Titans and Tampa Bay have had since going to the Super Bowl.

This is an article that Dan wanted to have. Total set up. Undoubtedly he even asked the question about Haynesworth. He's trying to make a point. Start the lynch mob going again.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | November 19, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

hey steinz, doesn't anybody remember the play in the first quarter where Haynesworth pursued sideline to sideline and then 20 yards downfield to meet Vick at Doughty? We already know he's not mentally tough enough for this kind of loss, it won't sell.

jump off the AH bashing bandwagon, and onto the MS bashing bandwagon already. you are not showing the frenetic ability to follow the latest media virus and pulse that you once did. Without that, well, you know where that leaves you.

Posted by: sorenoid | November 19, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I cant think of anything important to say. I am comfortably numb.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | November 19, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Alexander's the man on special teams. I think he would be more effective at the inside LB position in this 3-4.

Posted by: Rocky9 | November 19, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse