McNabb: "I want to be here"

By Dan Steinberg

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

During his weekly appearance with David Aldridge on TBD, Donovan McNabb this week addressed his future in Washington yet again.

"I'll be here in D.C.," McNabb said, when asked about his expiring contract. "I'll be here. I look to be here for the next couple years and continue to grow with these guys, and be able to bring some consistency and some excitement to the D.C. area."

"So that's not going to change?" Aldridge asked.

"I hope not. I hope not," McNabb replied. "Because I love it here, and I think there's great things that can happen here. So we'll see what happens."

"Little news here on the Donovan McNabb Show," Aldridge proclaimed.

"Not really," McNabb said. "I said I want to be here. Don't start putting stuff out there. I want to be here."

Now, I love David Aldridge, but if this was news, I have a front-page headline: "Wizards to Draft John Wall, as GOP Looks to Reclaim the House."

McNabb has been uniformly consistently uniform on this matter since he was traded here in April. This was at least the 11th time either he or his agent has said that McNabb would like to remain in Washington. Just before he falls asleep every night, McNabb gazes in a mirror and says "I look forward to being here for years to come." He could be wearing purple and lining up under John Sullivan in Minneapolis next year, and he would still turn backwards and whisper to Adrian Peterson about how much he looks forward to staying in Washington.

Because I'm bored, here is a short history of McNabb saying he intends to stay in Washington. So when he says this again next week, and the week after, and the week after that, please don't be surprised.

And bear in mind, Donovan McNabb is not the person in charge of offering Donovan McNabb his next contract. Neither is he the person who just benched Donovan McNabb in favor of Rex Grossman.

April 6: "I do expect to be here, and that's the way that I've been preparing myself. I'm going to prepare myself to be here for years to come."

May 9: "The thing with me is I don't believe in trial runs. I'm here as a Redskin, and I would like to be here for years to come, and I look forward to that. The thing about it is preparing myself and settling in, learning this offense so that we can have a lot of success for the next couple years."

May 17: "I look forward to being able to extend my contract and hopefully end my career here. And at this particular point, obviously there's some writing in the contract of when you'd be able to do that, but things will happen. Things will happen....I look forward to getting that done. The team looks forward to getting it done. So your $80 jersey won't go to waste....I will be in Washington."

July 31, McNabb's Agent: "They didn't bring him here to keep him for this season and let him walk next season. At some point, we'll get to it. We're not in any rush, on our side anyway, and I don't think they are either. He likes it here. We hope that he'll be here for the long haul."

Aug. 17: "I'll be here with the Redskins for years. We've both said it, I've said it, they've said it. I want to be a Redskin. I want to be a Redskin. Just like I was an Eagle for years, I want to be a Redskin. I want to finish my career here. There's a lot of exciting things that are ahead of us here, there's a lot of talent here, and I think good things can happen here in Washington."

Aug. 17: "I love being here. I love being here. Obviously moved the family here. This is where I want to be for years to come. We have some talent here, good young talent like myself...guys who still got a lot of juice in their tank like myself."

Sept. 2, McNabb's Agent: "It is our desire to get a deal done in Washington....That hasn't changed. Donovan made it clear, I think, that he likes it there and would like to end his career there."

Sept. 7: "I want to be here for years. I moved my family here. This is obviously one that I feel like we can have a lot of success together for the next couple years. Why hasn't it happened? That's not one that I'm paying too much attention to. My focus right now is just getting the guys going and myself and getting out here and winning some ballgames and getting that excitement built back up here in the D.C. area. Will it happen? I hope so. I'm pretty sure it will. After that, then we'll move on. Tom Brady, I hear, is close to his deal, so everybody will follow suit."

Sept. 28: "I want to be here in Washington, and hopefully end my career here. A lot of exciting things and a lot of exciting players here....Like I've always said, I want to be here. I'm excited of being here and the opportunities that we have, and I think we can do some really good things here in Washington for this year and in years to come. So I want to be a part of that."

Oct. 27: "Things will happen....That's really nothing that I am concerned with at this particular point. That's something that my agent and Bruce [Allen, the Redskins general manager] and Dan [Snyder, the owner] and those guys have been talking about back and forth."

Nov. 2: "Both parties are communicating. It's not too much different than what's going on in Indianapolis right now....I said I'm 100 percent [staying in Washington]."

By Dan Steinberg  | November 3, 2010; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall dances through introductions
Next: John Wall makes like Darrell Green

Comments

Well, if he wants the job so bad, he could stop skipping passes to his receivers. While I applaud the leadership and professionalism he's brought to the team, it doesn't really do any good with such mediocre play.

But now that Shanahan has emasculated him in public, he's gone. So it's a moot point anyway. After half a season, it's clear that Snyder still owns the team, and the organization still hasn't got a shred of class.

Posted by: McLobo | November 3, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I love McNabb but I hope he gets to go to a real organization like the Cardinals and let the Redskins start Rex Grossman or Jamarcus Russell. He deserves better.

Redskins will figure out a way to get into a trainwreck again.. sigh.

Posted by: swingwing | November 3, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I am very disappointed with the lack of patience of the coaching staff. Give it time and let the team get settled with the new systema and get used to the new quarterback.
I don't think that McNabb is the biggest problem at this point and I am worried that the coaching staff should shoulder much of the blame.
Definitely it is not the owners fault. He has stayed quiet since the start of the season and has provided that coaching staff with all that has been asked from him.

Posted by: James071 | November 3, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Sign McNabb and find another offensive coordinator and/or head coach.

Posted by: dontknowdiddley | November 3, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of McNabb. He's only here in DC cause he wants to be a politician after his football career.

Posted by: thorhero | November 3, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

As much as I love Donovan McNabb... I think it's best for him to find a better, more professional organization. Nothing good is going to come upon the Redskins as long as its current leadership structure is in place. That would also include Mr. Snyder. The Redskins found a good quarterback and figured out yet another way to sabotage the organization.

Run Donovan as fast as you can!!!

Posted by: Neisha_H | November 3, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

look everyone knows that mcnabb is a politician and that might be true and knowing that and the situation that just got pulled by the shanahans,meaning that they just disrespected him, having said that mcnabb and his agent are probably telling BRuce allen that if you want me to be back and sign the extension shanahans has to go but iam sure bruce allen knows that simply for the fact that if you try to embarass Bruce allen you are embarassing Dan snyder and that's a no no a owner who trying to built his public relations department back up and you also burned 2nd and 3rd round picks for him where you could have used those picks to address needs simple as that but here is another problem which is what is dooming Mike shanahan he uses his ego to make football decisions it doesn't matter if it helps or hurts the team and his stubburnness is of the charts Snyder made the right decision by hiring a general manager and stepping aside the only mistake is that he needed to hire a younger coach .

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | November 3, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

As a fan of 30 years, what I am most concerned about is he annoiting of the younger Shanahan. Who the hell is this this youngster to tell Donovan anything. Donovan dominated when we was an Eagle, a true measure of a very successful career by anyone's standards. So here we are with a coaching staff (i.e., Shanahans) continuing to show organizational leadership by publically embarrasing its best players to show who's boss. Then againm, umm, sound familiar LaVar? Greg Williams? Marty?

Posted by: SanDiego3 | November 3, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

MCNabb is a classy guy - which is more than can be said for Shanny & sons...

With a patchwork O line & mediocre WRs any QB would look shabby.

Also when one considers the alternative Grossman is truly lousy. Kyle has his delusions about him because of his Houston connection

Posted by: Rohit_33410 | November 4, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Team McNabb!!!! It'll get better.

Posted by: missboo | November 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Da Nabb says, "I'll be here in D.C. I'll be here. I look to be here for the next couple years and continue to grow with these guys, and be able to bring some consistency and some excitement to the D.C. area."

Oh yeah, EXACTLY, "consistency and excitement" are precisely what he has brought to the PIT so far. The ONLY excitement he'll be party to is when his heart hangs up during a 2 minute drill and his Momma drops dead because she's afraid the FREE LUNCHES are all over!

Posted by: burro2 | November 4, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

When the Shannys were hired I thought it was the best move in a long time, but I am not so sure anymore. McNabb a class act, stay classy.

Posted by: muktech | November 4, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty sad to see so many blaming McNabb. Logic should prevail, there is only so much McNabb can do when the OLs breaks down against the LIONS DLs. I bet, if the OLs would have given McNabb 2 to 3 secs in the pocket, he would have had made things happen! The WR corps need to play better too! This is a team sport and we cannot put the blame solely on one player and/or coach. I believe McNabb will bring the Redskins back to the top! HAIL TO THE REDSKINS...

Posted by: FerrariWorld | November 4, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

This post is great!!!! It represents Low Throw McBlow at his best. No one talks more without saying anything in the NFL than this clown. The best part is how he always tries to drag himself into comparisons with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. No one else is comparing him to them, just himself, it's a true sign of how delusional this guy is. STOP THROWING BOUNCE PASSES, MORON!!!!

Posted by: LowThrowMcBlow | November 4, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Jason Champbell, look good yet again this weekend? Looking beter than McNabb, of course dosen't every player we send away? They always play better in other colors? HHHMMMMMMM??????

Posted by: Gripster | November 7, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse