Mike Knuble vows to sacrifice a goat

By Dan Steinberg

(By Luis M. Alvarez - AP)

"Elliot, I'm gonna go out and before we get on the plane today, I'm gonna sacrifice a goat," Mike Knuble promised on DC101's Elliot in the Morning on Monday morning.

Ok ok, technically he was joking. And anyhow, Goat was likely nowhere near the airport. I hope.

Regardless, I could hardly pass up this quote, which was actually the second time Knuble has mentioned goat sacrifice in seven months. This was him after Game 2 vs. Montreal last year, re: Ovechkin and ritualistic goat murder:

"He doesn't have to go home and do soul searching or sacrifice a goat. He's going to come back. He's one of the best players in the world. Those guys show up and play hard. They are the best because they bring it every night, because they try their best every night. They're human, too. They're going to have an off night."

Now while Knuble has flirted with the concept of goat slaughter twice in a year, some research indicates that the phrase "sacrifice a goat" has only appeared in The Post six times. Like, ever. There have been 12 "kill a goat" mentions, but not a one having to do with first-line right wings. More from Knuble on his early-season slump, which he discussed at length last week.

"You're wondering what else you have to do but just jam it in, skate the thing right into the net," Knuble said. "I've been snakebitten. Believe me, I've done a ton of soul searching, and I've had some hearts-to -hearts with the coaching staff and that, and we all kind of agree where we're at. You're getting the chances, so they'll start going in. As a player, though, it's annoying and it's very frustrating. You don't have a choice but to keep working and make this bad streak end.

"It's very frustrating and it's annoying. You feel like you're doing the little things right and that's what adds up to goals. You're not getting the final result, but you're still doing little things around the ice well, and overall your play is ok, it's good. So that's kind of where we're at with it. Just keep going, keep plugging. I don't lose any confidence or anything. I get frustrated, but there's a difference between being frustrated and losing confidence in yourself. You have to believe in yourself; other wise you can't play in this league."

If Knuble doesn't score in New York? Sheep sacrifice. Expect it.

By Dan Steinberg  | November 8, 2010; 5:28 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. and rookies of the year
Next: Feinstein suggests Shanahan should be fired

Comments

Just relax Mike and save it for the playoffs.

Posted by: rademaar | November 8, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

No sheep sacrifice allowed, Mike, since the lamb is on your line. (Knuble's predecessor at Right Wing actually had a name that meant "goat"; i.e. Kozlov.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 8, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I have seen a goat sacrifice before. Then I ate its heart, delicious.

and I am not joking.

seriously.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 8, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

There is no doubt Knuble is working his butt off. He needs to stop thinking about and just go out there and have fun and the goals will come. he has been playing pretty well defensively.

Posted by: pkme | November 8, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

"Paging Mr. Jake Taylor. Mr. Taylor. Your Kentucky Fried Goat bucket with sides is ready for pick up."

Posted by: bbmcoachk | November 9, 2010 6:03 AM | Report abuse

Goal-scoring slump or not, I still say Knuckles is our BEST penalty-killer.

Posted by: stwasm | November 9, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Whatever it takes to get 22 going, as long as he doesn't sacrifice goat lenders.

Posted by: ds_kelly | November 9, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

If Varly lends him a goat and Knuble sacrifices it, does he have to pay Varly for the goat?
alex35332: Did you start scoring goal after that goat sacrifice? If so, give Knuble your cell number so you can help him with the procedure!

Posted by: chriscaps | November 9, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, I wonder if Varlamov will lend Knuble a goat.

Posted by: braunt | November 9, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse