Posted at 9:58 AM ET, 11/18/2010

Smoot on Haynesworth and the Redskins

By Dan Steinberg

Fresh off telling me of his plans to be the Black Ryan Seacrest, Fred Smoot took his talents to Comcast SportsNet on Wednesday, appearing on multiple shows to talk about the state of the Skins. Because his name is Fred Smoot, he was quotable.

"It was bad," Smoot said, of the Monday Nightmare. "I was in Atlanta, in my home, and I got people from Jackson, Mississippi and Washington, D.C. calling me, asking me what's the problem with the Redskins, like 27's still out there with Smoot on the back of his jersey. But it just didn't look good. It didn't look like a team effort. When I say team, I'm talking about starting in the front office down onto the field. It just didn't look like the Redskins were prepared to play this team."

Then Ivan Carter asked about the infamous Haynesworth play.

"The thing is unacceptable," Smoot said. "You don't do that to your teammates, you don't do that to your fans, you don't do that, period. Albert is not lazy. Let's get this right, Albert can run, Albert loves to play the game. I think it's emotional with Albert right now. Albert is not feeling the love right now, and Albert is lashing out by any way he can. He's like, if Vick done already turned the corner, I'm gonna leave it alone, I'm just gonna be here."

Later, in another segment that's available online, they came back to Haynesworth.

"Have y'all guys ever ate a Turducken?" Smoot asked the panel, as seen above. "I have one every Thanksgiving. I'm gonna have one sitting in the middle of my table, very still, come Thanksgiving. And that's what he did on the field, you know what I'm saying? He was a Turducken....But hey, I look for him to have a great game this week. Tennessee Titans? Great game."

(Speaking of Haynesworth, here's what he said to The Tennessean on Wednesday:

"I will always be a Titan at heart. I can't deny that.''

Except for Sunday, with any luck.)

Later yet, Carter asked Smoot about LaRon Landry's pre-game chatter.

"Landry knows this, because he's a Fred Smoot-trained talker: no matter what happens, keep talking," Smoot said. "Talkers don't stop talking, unless they break your jaw or something. Keep talking, keep being a positive reinforcement in that back end, and keep letting teams know they've got to come and play four quarters of football....There's nothing off-limits in trash talk. Think about you and your friends, when you was small: it was nothing off-limits. That's when you used to go to Yo Momma jokes."

A "Fred Smoot-trained talker," huh? In the segment's climax, so to speak, Smoot was finally asked about the Love Boat incident.

"It was the most overrated party I have ever been to in my life," he said.

By Dan Steinberg  | November 18, 2010; 9:58 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kornheiser on working for Dan Snyder
Next: Orakpo guarantees dominant defense

Comments

I think he meant to say x-rated... not overrated.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | November 18, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Give this man his own show

Posted by: MillBurray | November 18, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

How about when Smoot talked about when you talk trash and then get burned like Landry did, it's like "your soul has been ripped out of your body." Glad to know DJax owns that f****t Landry's soul. Hail to the DEADSKINS!!

Posted by: wquinn215 | November 18, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying this to start some racial controversy (although I expect to get blasted by some), but IMO, "trash talking" is done by an immature person in order to make them look better than others and to degrade others. It's a selfish..look at me action and is an immature and selfish way to TRY to gain respect.

And, maybe I'm wrong, but it also seems to be a pervasive attitude in the black culture. I'm not trying to stereotype or say "every black" is guilty. But, its the main theme of rap music (I'm bad and you better not DISS me); done primarily by the black players in sports(there are some, but don't see many white players getting into "trash talking" in games); and it seems to be mainly the black players who are getting into these altercations at the strip clubs.

Why can't people be respectful of others and gain respect by showing good character, sportsmanship, and playing hard??? What REAL purpose does TRASH TALKING serve except to have to TELL somebody you are better than them. Show it on the field and show some class as a person. Its a great thing these athletes are teaching these kids!!!

Posted by: bamaboy1 | November 18, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Would have been nice if Landry had returned the favor. He could have taught Smooty to tackle or sumthin. Ya know?

Posted by: TheDubb | November 18, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Bamaboy1

Your comment can be nothing but racist. Im white and played in High School and everyone on the team talked trash, white black yellow and green! Its part of the game as far as im concerned. As for the "altercations at strip clubs" comment, have you forgoten about BIG Ben?? It might not have been a strip club but he sexually assulted multiple women. What about Favre texting his junk to a female reporter?
You said:"Why can't people be respectful of others and gain respect by showing good character, sportsmanship, and playing hard??? "
Well you sir have bad character and are very disrespectful. Limit your comments on this site and save your self the embarassment of looking like a fool.

Posted by: JRD8608 | November 18, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Larry Bird was one of the biggest trash talkers in NBA and he is whiter than a Donny Osmond concert. Joe Gibbs would never have allowed what LaRon Landry did before the Eagles game. Why incite a already motivated opponent? In case you missed it the Eagles went after Landry on the first play for 88 yds and a TD and burned DeAngelo Hall for another. These guys need to shut up and play because they are not as good as they think they are. The Redskins can not cover anyone on D.

Posted by: wthaljr | November 18, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Bamaboy1

Posted by: JRD8608 | November 18, 2010 3:42 PM

Bravo.

Posted by: jamesfking3 | November 18, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Bamnaboy1

While the thug attitude is not a race issue (as shown by the responses), you raise a very important point in that sports has degraded into a culture where sportsmanship is secondary at best. The punks get the headlines and the money.

When someone asks "Why can't people be respectful of others and gain respect by showing good character, sportsmanship, and playing hard??? " and is attacked for that, it says a lot more about the people attacking and our society than about the question. Try not to focus on the race issue (including you Bamaboy). The real issue is that sports today is dominated by a thug attitude and celebrity, which have nothing to do with sports. I personally long for the day of showing good character, sportsmanship, and playing hard. How many Super Bowls did Alvin Walton or Mark Murphy, average at best, play in; and how many has "dirty 30" played in?

Posted by: jyates1 | November 18, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

JRD8608

Like I said in my post, "Maybe I'm wrong". I can accept the fact that maybe I am and I should have not tried to label it as a "black thing". I'm just offering my observation. And I didn't say white's were not guilty of if (ie. Big Ben, etc.).
But let's quit talking about opinions and talk about data. Go back and find every possible article you can about on-field "trash talking, fights, altercations"; off-field altercations; and tell me how what percentage were black-on-black incidents...and what percentage were white on any other race. If you can show me from this informatoin, that my observation is RACIST and FALSE, then I'll admit that I need to look within and see if maybe I am a racist. However, I think the statistics gathered would show that it's more predominant among the black players. Thus, my comment.

I think jyates1 had the best post on this. He's right. More important than focusing on race (which I admit I did and will not bring up anymore), it should be about the "thug" mentality that permeates sports. And he is also right that it is sad that you say "I have bad character and am disrespectful"...yet you say "trash-talking" is just "part of the game" and that's acceptible to you. So what you are saying is that its okay for you and other players (no matter what race) to be disrespectful and have bad character as long as its on the athletic field? But I'm a bad person because I posted something that I admit is controversial and you can immediately label me a racist, disrespectful person?
Go figure.

Posted by: bamaboy1 | November 19, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Bamaboy, you are you taking this trash talking thing to seriously. It has nothing to do with class, race or how someone was raised. It is a mental thing pure and simple. One player trying to get the other player so riled up they will miss assignments etc. It is nothing more than a tactic used by players to gain the upperhand. Most, if not all, of these players are friends "off" the court,field,etc. But, when it comes time to play, all bets are off. Jeeze. It is not that serious for all of this analyzing. It is what it is and has been going on since sports started.

Posted by: ivyleague | November 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse