Posted at 10:53 AM ET, 12/23/2010

Andray Blatche's missed layup

By Dan Steinberg

When I posted the video of JaVale McGee's spectacularly missed dunk a few weeks back, some people accused me of reveling in the bad stuff. So I stopped myself from posting his subsequent full-court sprint into a flung-ball long jump offensive foul.

But this Andray Blatche maneuver, I cannot ignore.

"After that layup, I knew it was going to be a long night," Blatche said, via Michael Lee, "and it was."

That "layup," of course, came within the first four minutes of the game. That made it a very, very, very long night.

(Via Deadspin and SB Nation DC.)

By Dan Steinberg  | December 23, 2010; 10:53 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Caps, fist pumping
Next: LaRon Landry has an Irish potatoe on his shoulder

Comments

I would be trying to find some suitors for atrade for a reliable big man for Blanche. He plays to much one one. He refuses to play the post. He's certainly is no Kevin garrnet.

Posted by: rayjay1 | December 23, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

He sucks.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 23, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Forget Wall, Blatche is their future PG. He was dribbling the ball up to his forehead and running down the court at about 2 MPH. This almost looked like a Globetrotter gag where he was gonna stop before he shot and pull down the defender's pants or something.

Posted by: randysbailin | December 23, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Please ship him to Flint for a washing machine

Posted by: Kev29 | December 23, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees the need to move Blatche now before he screws up sooooo bad he won't be worth anything in the trade market. There is no doubt with his physical size, strength and quickness he could be an "all world" type player. It's his me first selfishness on the floor and his desire to play outside his abilities that is really killing this team now. Shame on Flip for not realing this guy in because I think he has cost them the last 2 or 3 games. When the Wiz had to have a bucket coming down the stretch, he'd get the ball and try to dribble drive spin move throw up crap or have it stolen. And HOw about fouling the 3 pt shooter in the Miami game? Brilliant!!! This team is showing great hustle & desire since the Arenas enema was completed. They are actually fun to watch. And then there's Blatche....time for another enema...

Posted by: 1bigdad | December 23, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

If it wasn't so tragic - it'd be hilarious. It all seemed to be played out in slow motion and the Chi player hardly bothered to even challenge him.

Posted by: charley42 | December 23, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Scratching my head at these comments.

Blatche recently turned 24, that is pretty amazing given that he's been in the league 6 years.

I love how DC sports fans continuously say our teams need to "build through the draft." That's not what most fans really want though. They want us to trade/throw out/cut/fire/get rid of the players that we draft if they aren't league MVP by their second season. Most fans in this town have no patience whatsoever for developing players.

Blatche has already vastly improved every year he has been in the league, yet people on here (who likely don't even follow the Wizards all that closely) say he "sucks". Riiiight, Andray blatche sucks. Never mind his improvement from year to year right?

2005: 2 ppg 1.2 rebounds
2006: 3.7 ppg 3.4 rebounds
2007: 7.5 ppg 5.2 rebounds
2008: 10 ppg 5.3 rebounds
2009: 14 ppg 6.3 rebounds
2010: 17 ppg 7.7 rebounds

He's also now getting 1.4 steals per game, that is good for third in the NBA at the power forward position. And his free throw shooting has gone from 61% early in his career to about 80% now.

If I'm Ernie Grunfeld, I hold on to McGee and Blatche and watch them continue to grow and improve.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 23, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Barno!

I don't post as much because I get so sick of reading of trading players. Every player has an off night. Blatche has been playing well and he will continue to get better. Is he still a little goofy, yes he is but to boo him, I would be a little shaken too hereing boos from those who are supposed to cheer you on. He will bounce back.

Posted by: ivyleague | December 23, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Blatche is missing something, either he's not getting coached up or not taking to it. What you witness was a lack of urgency, did he think it was a layup drill & it was his job to saunter towards the hoop for an easy two. I just don't see the urgency or the fierceness, passion, whatever required to compete at the position.

Posted by: capcity_subscriber | December 23, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Keep Booker and Seraphin but also lookout for a young Big that can play in the paint and eventually take over for Blatche. Blatche is good for now and has improved offensively(Good acheivement for a late 2nd rounder). However defensively and playing above the rim offesively is where he lacks desire. Their was another moment when Kirk set him up under the basket for a potential 3 point play and by going up casually he did not convert and missed one of the free throws. Eventually they are going to find a replacement. He can score but I don't see the defensive effort. He should dunk from time to time also that's what I mean about playing above the rim. Perhaps block shot from time to time.

Posted by: bonggong | December 23, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Blatche is an embarrassment to this proud franchise. After that play, he should have been cut immediately.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 23, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

i hope he keeps working. hopefully having howard and shard around will put little fire under him to keep working. he's nowhere near his potential yet. His prime is a few years off?

Posted by: arn3z | December 23, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse