Posted at 1:19 PM ET, 12/ 8/2010

Brian Mitchell vs. Phillip Daniels, Part II

By Dan Steinberg

One dose of Brian Mitchell vs. Phillip Daniels not enough for you? Get ready for Part II!!!

Wednesday morning, both men came back at the other regarding Tuesday's fireworks, when Mitchell said Daniels "sucked" against the Giants and Daniels called Mitchell "two-faced." There seems to be some disagreement on the meaning of that latter term, though I think we're all pretty much ok on the definition of "sucked." First Daniels:

"You know, when I'm up there on stage with him and doing the shows with him, it's one thing to go out there and be ignorant, but to be two-faced too, that's kind of bad," he told Jason Reid in the Redskins locker room. "I don't deserve that. I'm a 15-year guy. I work hard. I do all the things I need to do. You don't stay around this league 15 years and you suck. That's the thing I want him to know. It's sad that he would target me like that.

"And I never said anything about anybody's play on the field. All I said was you play for your teammates. That's all I said. If he wants to sit there and call out names and call me names, I guess he's trying to get his ratings up, I don't know what B-Mitch is trying to do. I don't know what his plan is. But I'll meet with him in person. I'm that type of person. I don't shy away from anybody. I'll meet with him in person. We'll go from there. I'm not gonna make this a big media thing. We'll meet, we'll talk. I'm always here. You know where I'm at. Let's talk....

"I'm not gonna go out there and bash him like he bashes us. I don't do that type of stuff. It's just funny how guys get behind microphones and they get real powerful. Real powerful. But I'm not gonna do that kind of thing. I respect the guys that played before me, paved the way for me. I respect those kind of guys. But don't go out there and bash me because I'm trying to help this team be better. Don't bash me for that. That's just crazy. I've got nothing but respect for him, but at the same time, just know that when I'm on the shows with you and you're smiling at me and talking to me, I mean, that's crazy. Don't be that way."

Around the same time, Mitchell was back on Mike Wise's 106.7 The Fan show, and was none too pleased with Daniels's "two-faced" usage.

"My question to Phillip Daniels would be, what is the definition of two-faced? Isn't a person that's two-faced a person that goes around acting as if they like you and then they come back behind you and they begin to talk behind your back? Well, I don't think I've been praising Phillip Daniels. I've been critical of the D-line for the longest. You know, he didn't say anything about play on the field, but that's the absolute problem with a lot of people on that football team. They always discussing in the media, they're always discussing what someone is saying. Why don't you discuss your play on the football field? Why don't you discuss what you can do to make the team better? So if you want to call someone ignorant, you start off with yourself. Know the definition of two-faced before you try to call anyone two-faced....

"To be honest with you, many people said I sucked when I played. Many people said things when I played. You know what I did? I went on the football field, and I played, and shut them up. See, you can't beat nobody in the media by talking. You can't intimidate me for sure. So you can say I'm stupid. You can say I'm whatever. Ignorant has never been one of the [words] that would describe Brian Mitchell. Two-faced? I want you to learn the definition of two-faced before you use it, Mr. Daniels. So I would advise you to just go play better football, because you can't win in this situation homie. Point blank. That message is there. I don't need Twitter. We can talk face-to-face....

"Tell me how you gonna make the team better. Tell me how you gonna play better. That's what I want to hear. I don't give a damn about the Twitter. I don't give a damn about you calling me two-faced. Because you know what? I will be right back on it again and I will be critical of you if you're bad. And if you're good, I will be the first to praise you. Do you call that two-faced? Is that two-faced? You know what that is? That's being an analyst. We're talking about good and bad. And what I saw on the football field on Sunday was awful. As a defense, it was awful."

Wait, what's that sound I hear off in the distance? (Pauses, listens.) Yup, it's the telltale sound of December in Ashburn.

By Dan Steinberg  | December 8, 2010; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas's Dolce & Gabbana sneaks
Next: Ex-coaches back Shanahan on Haynesworth

Comments

Go away B-Mitch.

And anyone who isn't intimidated by Philip Daniels is ignorant. Point blank.

Posted by: pstew652 | December 8, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch tells it like it is. Daniels did suck - along with the rest of that sorry D line. Truth is, Haynesworth is (was) the best d lineman on the team!

Posted by: dbunkr | December 8, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Amen Pstew. Holiday xmas party at the G spot this year? It's been a few years..

Posted by: Barno1 | December 8, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Man, I am loving B. Mitch more and more. He not afraid to tell it like it is. The truth hurt but it's the truth. Let me add, Daniel mentioned he been in the league for 15 years, we can respect that but let's be honest. If the Redskins haven't called him would he been still playing? No!

Posted by: demonj21 | December 8, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

It always seems like having a ton of media that are ex-Skins that won ring(s) is part of the problem. There's a lot of "back in my day" and "this is how we did it" conversation. That's going to annoy players, that are unfortunately listening and paying any attention to the media (no offense, Dan).

Posted by: law3 | December 8, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch knows football. He was a little harsh but he is right that the D Line sucked.

I do respect Phillip Daniels too as a person but come on, the stats speak louder and the Defense overall stinks this year.

Shanahan needs to return to the 4-3 and admit this 3-4 has been a disaster!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | December 8, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Daniels is a class act. Mitchell is not and never has been.

Posted by: poguesmahone | December 8, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh boy. B. Mitch and Lavar...always angry
always wrong.....give it up guys...you are not part of the team anymore and nobody cares about your angry rants.

Move on....get a life!

Posted by: soc22210 | December 8, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree pogue, soc...Mitchell/Lavar, please go away!! PLEASE!!

Posted by: tnand | December 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

B.Mitch such a lil man with lil man syndrome always angry and want to fight!! Back in my day...Back in my day.....a BROKEN record new team new era deal with it and stop being so angry all the time and go deep fry a turkey or something its pathetic that you get about as much run after being retired as you did on the field luv the spot lite don't ya lil guy???

Posted by: ronneylloyd | December 8, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell is right about our dline. They suck. They give their all and they are the best that Cerrato gave us.

Phillip Daniels would not be playing for any other team but the Redskins and maybe some other god awful team.

Our dline of Golston, Keamato, and Carriker is the worst dline in the league hands down. We simply do not have the players for a 3-4 yet.

We need to keep drafting linemen on both sides of ball. Our two best players are Orakpo and Trent Willams. We need a bunch more like them. Can you imagine another starting 1st round guard and a 2nd round nose tackle or vice versa. We will be alot better already.

Posted by: sruppert | December 8, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The best D lineman on the team. BS. The best lineman who lies down and lets Vick run around. The best lineman who falls flat on his stomach and rests. The best lineman who gets one one knee on the sideline. The best lineman who gets "ill." The best lineman who skips all the preseason work. The best lineman who quits on his team. The best lineman who is late for meetings. Yeah right, fool. That tub of overrated, lazy, selfish 43 million dollar lard is gone. Way to go Shanahan.

Posted by: getitritegov | December 8, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"Yup, it's the telltale sound of December in Ashburn." - quote of the year nominee

let's be honest about leadership. if Dan Snyder had an ounce of leadership he would nip this constant cat fighting in the bud. he must thrive on this nonsense because every year around this time his "business" seems in shambles.

Philip Daniels and many of the Redskins have been perfect robots for the organization. They always say the right things, even under blatant ineptness like Zorn, Spurrier and Gibbs II. How long do guys need to look at tape, and work harder in practice. this has been the same core team for the past 3-4 years. At some point you have to say these core guys aren't talented enough.

The bottom line is the defense was horrible last Sunday. yet, we sit here an act like it's all Haynesworth's fault. now it's B-mitch's fault. Guess what, neither of those guys were on the field!!! Did the D-line make a tackle last week? I'm not for all this whining soap opera crap. my question is when will the Redskin's start winning games.

Posted by: oknow1 | December 8, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell is an idiot.

Posted by: thorhero | December 8, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES

Posted by: theredskin | December 8, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

People continue to criticize B Mitchell when he refers to when he played...and how he played...People easily forget that those teams had players who gave it their all...if there was a hot dog on the team he was put in his place for not performing...

Sonny Jurgensen was a no nonsense guy just like B Mitch but he just doesn't speak as harshly...ever heard Sam Huff during games...he is critical but there is no outcry then...

Both lines stink and the players know it...just play better and that will shut the critics up..that's all we all want to happen...

Posted by: pentagon40 | December 8, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

"OKNOW1"...POSTED just above mine told it like it is..Amazing how some people just won't accept the truth....

Posted by: pentagon40 | December 8, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I think some people are missing the point when they're saying Mitchell has a right to say these things, as if that proves he's not two-faced. Mitchell himself ignores what Daniels' problem seems to be -- when Daniels is right there doing the show with Mitchell, there's nary a bad word to be said. But when Daniels isn't around, it's all "he sucks, he's this, he's that." Yes, that is two-faced. If you're gonna critique the man like that, do it to his face. Don't pat him on the back and suck up to him while he's a guest and then bash him afterwards.

Posted by: Hokienautic | December 8, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm intimidated by Phillip Daniels....but not Barry Wilburn.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 9, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Nobody is intimidated by Phillip Daniels he is supposed to be some monster in the weight room but that does not translate to the field ever can someone tell me if anyone but Albert has a sack on this dline....I dont need anyone to tell me because i already know the answer is NOOOO

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 9, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 9, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 9, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

hokienautic
__________________________________________

It is funny to hear Phillip Daniels complain about the media ripping him behind his back, that is the same thing that Albert said about his teammates, say it to his face. I don't think BMitch was out to rip Phillip Daniels, but Daniels, who by the way is stealing a salary because he is a bum, put himself in that position when he placed himself as the unofficial spokesperson for the players and the defender of what the oraganization is doing. He placed the focus back on the football field and how we just got annihilated, what is Haynesworth the sacrificial lamb for us to forget about what direction this team is headed in and how horrible the decision to go the the 3-4 defense was.

Posted by: impartial1 | December 9, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

You all can get angry at B. Mitchell if you want, but at the end of the day, he's 100% right. No one is trying to take away from Phillip Daniels. But let's be honest here. The Giants had THREE starting O-linemen out due to injury. THREE. And our STARTING D-linemen got ZERO pressure. Does anyone think this is praise worthy? This is now twice in a row that we got dusted by an NFC East rival, and you want to throw barbs at Mitchell? Give me a break.

Posted by: Rahwaj | December 9, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Just because the Skins suck doesn't mean that many of the players aren't giving their all, it's about talent and the Skins have litte of it.

Albert is talented but does not give it his all and if BMitch played with him, he would be saying the same things P. Daniels is saying.

It seems the reason many are so supportive of Albert H. including Bmitch is because they fundamentally dislike coach Shannhan and his treatment of some players and media (including BMitch's cousin D. McNabb)

Posted by: zxhoya | December 9, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch is upset about something??????????

Zomg!

Next you're going to tell me that Riggo doesn't like Dan Snyder as a person....

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 9, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch is ignorant. Daniels was ASKED about Haynesworth and he answered. Nobody asked him about his play on the field. If that had happened then he would have addressed that. B Mitch defends his old teammate McNabb every chance he gets no matter what McNabb does. He always bashes coaching no matter what they do. He cries for years that nobody disciplines the team and then when a coach does he cry's about it. THAT'S two faced and irresponsible. I am very tired if hearing him talk and disrespect the other analyst. I really wish he would move on.

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 9, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse