Posted at 11:10 AM ET, 12/22/2010

Brooks Laich was worried he'd get traded

By Dan Steinberg

(By Blair Gable - Reuters)

During that dreadful losing streak thing, Brooks Laich again served as one of the Caps media spokesmen, defending Bruce Boudreau while acknowledging that changes were inevitable if the losses kept piling up.

Wednesday morning, Laich said he feared he would be one of the changes. I'm not sure if he was joking, but it sure didn't sound like it.

"If you're not winning, the organization is gonna make changes," he said on 106.7 The Fan's Kevin and Rock Show. "Whether it's players being traded, whether it's coaches, something's gonna happen if you continually lose. And so that's where we started to get nervous, because everybody wants to be here, nobody wants to leave, we don't want anybody to leave. And then when you get to seven, eight losses in a row, you start thinking maybe the organization's gonna get moving.

"I wasn't answering my phone. I thought maybe I'm gonna get traded. The phone was ringing after the loss in New York, and the next day I didn't look at my phone. It was beeping, and I was so scared to look at it because I thought I might be getting traded or something. You just never know."

Laich was also asked about the perception -- fueled by the debut episode of HBO's 24/7 -- that the Caps aren't having fun the way they used to. That wasn't a concern of mine -- having been around the Wizards, I've seen how the most hilariously fun-loving locker room can turn into a morgue after a few Ls -- and Laich agreed.

"When you're winning, everything is so much fun," he said. "You're having more fun away from the rink, more guys are gonna be open to fans, do pictures, everything. When you're losing, it just puts a dark cloud over you and you just want to stick to yourself and get out of it. So I haven't seen the show -- I haven't seen one second of the episode -- but if Pittsburgh's guys are jumping around and whatever, having fun, it's because they're on a 12-game winning streak. We [were] on an 8-game losing streak. Our focus is to win a hockey game and get back to the winning ways. And then maybe we'll lighten up."

By Dan Steinberg  | December 22, 2010; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 1991 Redskins playing for ESPN's best-ever title
Next: Gilbert didn't want to get Haynesworth'd

Comments

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of the DC Sports Talk scene, but does anybody else find the "Kevin and Rock" show more listenable than the Junkies or Dukes/Lavar?

Posted by: dpkennedy | December 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

A pack of howling dogs is more listenable than the Junkies. Don't really have a problem with Lavar/Dukes.

Posted by: tha_prophet | December 22, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Uh, no. Kevin and Rock are slightly...what's the word, obnoxious? I know the Junks are crass and all but not obnoxious. I'm over the whole, "hey I'm a white guy and he's the black guy with a high-pitched voice who doesn't really sound like a black guy, but he's a real ninja". I mean seriously? Just like their discussion this morning RE: McNubbs and Shanny...who cares what your color is, let's just keep the conversation moving.

All that said, I would take Kevin and Rock over the Mike Wise show in a heartbeat....blech!

Posted by: sordidvox | December 22, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Wise is horrible, but Holden is good.

Lavar is horrible, but Dukes is good.

They should get rid of Lavar and Wise, and put Holden and Dukes on a show together.

Posted by: TwoBuckChuck | December 22, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Interesting, because I thought Laich was one of the few players that would not have been traded.

Posted by: Grooven | December 22, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

The "Kevin and Rock" show is atrocious. Strictly weekend fodder.

Posted by: poguesmahone | December 22, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who doesn't like the Junkies is probably female

Posted by: philarmy | December 22, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who listens to sports talk has too much free time and needs to get a life.

Just how much "talk" about sports is even remotely interesting? Zero! Here's the basic premise of ANY sporting event:

Score more points than your opponent, while simultaneously keeping your opponent from scoring as many points as you.

Just how much "talk" does anyone need on that basic premise? Again, none. Dudes (this includes those that make a living discussing sports), get a damn life already.

Posted by: soloman5000 | December 23, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse