Posted at 4:17 PM ET, 12/14/2010

Caps-Penguins 24/7: Expect profanity

By Dan Steinberg

Having spoken briefly with someone who's seen the first episode of HBO's 24/7 series on the Caps and the Penguins, here's what I can tell you: expect profanity. I was told to prepare an F bomb counter, and also that Caps Coach Bruce Boudreau would "make Rex Ryan blush."

This, of course, refers to the Jets coach, who cursed his way through HBO's Hard Knocks this summer.

Anyhow, my interest was further piqued when HBO senior producer Dave Harmon appeared on Puck Daddy Radio to discuss the first episode. (Listen here.)

"I would say this show has more vulgarity than that show," Harmon said. "And I'm not just saying that to get you to watch. I'm saying it because there's a reason. The reason is that this is the regular season. This isn't preseason. And what the Capitals, in particular, are going through, and what Boudreau is like, have all merged to be a show that the nighttime version, you're gonna have to hide the kids."

Hide the kids = blogging gold. Among other choice moments, HBO got every word of Boudreau's give-'em-hell timeout speech during the recent blowout loss in Madison Square Garden. Will I present an edited, bleeped-out transcript the following day? Expect it.

Oh yeah, and what was it Matt Bradley told me the day word of this series broke?

"Well, hockey players don't swear, so we don't have to worry about that," he said.

By Dan Steinberg  | December 14, 2010; 4:17 PM ET
Categories:  Caps, Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb on pace to set Redskins passing record
Next: Atlantic 11 Week 4: Georgetown. Still.

Comments

Cant wait to see the Rangers tirade. Caps looked lifeless. How horrible is is that the Penguins and Caps are on opposite ends of the spectrum as the series kicks off?

Not sure I can stand Sydney and his crew nut hugging in the locker room. I do however want to hear BB light a fire under these guys, some of these clips are giong to be fantastic.

Posted by: saltine182 | December 14, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm irrationally excited for this show.

Feel like it needs to be said though: why, when it comes to Caps-Pens, are the Caps so cursed!?!?!? Of course the show's taping coincides with the worst hockey the Caps have played in 3 years AND the best hockey the Pens have played, maybe ever. OF COURSE.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 14, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...I seem to remember going to a practice a few years back when Olie was here and hearing an echoiningly loud f-bomb from 'Zilla when he missed a shot.

Posted by: EricS2 | December 14, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@ThisGuy- A Gary Bettman conspiracy, of course.

I am also really pumped for this show. Gonna be very revealing on what the players really think of BB, based off of their reactions and how he comes off in the show.

Posted by: rademaar | December 14, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

This is good news. If you can't score more goals than the other team - the lest you could do is use more profanity.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 14, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Under that rough profane exterior, is a soft ass cupcake.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | December 14, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Guess I'll have to find it somewhere online after it airs.

Posted by: futbolclif | December 15, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

The Penguins have been behind the Caps in the last few regular seasons, and we all know how that turned out. Why should we feel down because they are playing well?

Just get me to April...then the fight begins...

Posted by: SA-Town | December 15, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Hide ya kids,
Hide ya wife,
and hide ya husband,
cus they rapein' errbody out here!

A. Dodson

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 15, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

SHOCKER.... Bruce is using the cheapest means possible to get guaranteed screen time, just as he did by skating around the net in SlapShot. Ted, please shoot 'ol yeller.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | December 16, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse