Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 12/17/2010

Cooley: Grossman has taken 40 percent of practice reps

By Dan Steinberg

Chris Cooley's weekly appearance with the Junkies came early Friday morning, before news broke of Donovan McNabb's impending benching. Cooley appearance also came during the Junkies' annual Christmas special, which meant the hosts were drinking and getting their blood-alcohol levels tested all morning, possibly limiting their interviewing talents..

So maybe it wasn't exactly 60 Minutes. But in the course of their screams, they managed to ask Cooley about last week's reports of increased practice time for Rex Grossman.

"He's taking some reps," Cooley said. "But I don't think that's a problem. I mean, we go through a ton of reps every day. It's not a big deal to have your backup quarterback taking reps....You know what, I don't know if I can really get fully into it. I don't even know if I really know. I just kind of shy away."

He was then drunkenly asked to put a percentage on Grossman's time with the first-team in practice.

"I would guess less than half," Cooley said. "Probably 40. Maybe 40 percent."

And finally, Cooley was asked whether Donovan McNabb has been better than Jason Campbell in Washington.

"Yes, I think he's played a level higher than what we've had," Cooley said. "Not to say anything bad about Jason, but back to what's going on here, we're in a new offense - which I guess Jason was almost every year. [McNabb's] been a part of the same offense for 11 years. We're all in the same offense, and we're growing together."

Before the segment ended, Cooley was also asked to predict the biggest change the Redskins make in the offseason.

"You can't make big changes every year," he said. "You can't go out and change everything on your team and say 'ok, it's fixed, now we're gonna win the Super Bowl' You build a team."

By Dan Steinberg  | December 17, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daryl Johnston on McNabb benching
Next: Wilbon hopes Redskins cut McNabb

Comments

- And Chris Cooley has taken himself out of the running for future GM of the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | December 17, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

WORST......ORGANIZATION......EVERRRRRRRRRRR

Posted by: N07H4NX | December 17, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I would agree... Worst organization ever.

The Redskins actually overspend to be this bad.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | December 17, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a gutsy move.... I'm curious myself to see how well a QB who actually understands the offense and takes the time to read the playbook does.

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | December 17, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Gutsy as in what happened to William Wallace at the end of Braveheart?

Posted by: N07H4NX | December 17, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

To the tune of that famous old country song....

Agents...don't let your players sign up to be Redskins.....

They'll lie and they'll woo em, pay em then screw em...and make sure what's left of their career is done...

Posted by: N07H4NX | December 17, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | December 17, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

58-3 Cowboys. Is this really Steve Spurrier in a Mike Shanahan costume?

Posted by: truke | December 17, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

U can't be this dumb. To give away a $3.5 million bonus to McNabb when the guy was as bad then as he is now is laughable.

Next time flush $3.5 million in dollar bills down your toilet and enjoy that excercise because that is what u just did. B'bye

Posted by: PensRule | December 17, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"I think Cooley will (and should) ask for a trade soon. He's obviously wasting away in DC and I've been detecting some frustration in him.

Posted by: tundey "

I respectfully disagree. I know Cooley is a very good tight end. But he has dropped a ton of passes this year at critical times. He'd probably lead the tight ends in the league this year if not for his drops.

Posted by: BenThere | December 17, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Steinz can you do a post solely on how terrible/annoying Lurch is? He's so terrible/annoying it's silly.

Posted by: GO583 | December 17, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse